Green River

Stethmir

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

In article <postmaster-28...@206.65.200.5>,
postm...@mx.intermac.com writes:

>Hello. I just read a novel called "River" by Roderick Thorpe and it's
>based on the Green River serial killer. I just have a couple of
questions:

> 1. In the novel, the police eventually squashed all publicity the
> Lockman character (Robert Stevens in real life) was hoping to
> get and they poisoned his food so that he'd eventually get
> cancer. Is this true, a rumor, or just pure fiction?
>
> 2. Where would I find more substantial information on the Green River
> serial killer? I found a web page put up by Steven's relatives
> about his case but I could not really find anymore.
>
>Any help would be appreciated. Oh, by the way, the book "River" was
>absolutely
>riveting.
>
>Dave

Bill Stevens, the person of interest, did die of cancer (pancreatic),
according to newspaper reports. Good coverage during the investigation of
Bill Stevens was in the Tacoma News Tribune, approximately autumn 1988
through spring 1989 or thereabouts. Bill was a police buff (multiple
vehicles), law student and creator of his own myths about himself.

You might do an internet search to find reviews of the books based on
Stevens (however closely or loosely) if you wish to verify specific items
in them. Reviews I read tended to focus on these questions. Try
searching Northwest U.S. publications for reviews.

S.

Kimbersh

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

There is a little Green River info in "Mind Hunter" by John Douglas. It
was just released in paperback. He was an FBI profiler. (The writer, not
the Green River Killer!)

postm...@mx.intermac.com

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

In article <31FC03...@qis.net>, Eva Whitley <ewhi...@qis.net> wrote:

> Gee, do you have that URL handy? I'd like to see that.
>
> FWIW, I was dissatisfied with that novel. It didn't seem very well
> written to me, but I liked the idea that the killer got murdered.

http://www.cet.com/~snevets/welcome.html

I'm sorry that you didn't think the book was very well written. I disagree
though. I love how characters would effortlessly appear and disappear
throughout the book.

Dave