Cruise Line Settles with Hagel-Smith for a Million

tiny dancer

Jan 4, 2007, 5:21:17 PM1/4/07
Cruise Line to Pay Missing Man's Estate
By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - Royal Caribbean agreed Thursday to pay more than $1
million to the estate of a Connecticut man who vanished during his honeymoon
cruise of the Mediterranean in 2005.

His widow accepted the deal, but his parents and sister dismissed it as a
``sell-out.''

George Allen Smith IV, 26, of Greenwich, disappeared from Royal Caribbean's
Brilliance of the Seas between Greece and Turkey after what appeared to be a
late night of drinking. The FBI is investigating, but no one has been
charged and no body was ever found.

In settling, the Florida-based cruise line denied any wrongdoing. It said it
wanted to ``provide closure and move forward.''

The agreement, which is subject to a judge's approval, was filed in
Connecticut probate court, which declared Smith dead in 2005. Royal
Caribbean will pay $950,000 to Smith's estate and reimburse his widow,
Jennifer Hagel Smith, for legal costs up to $110,000.

Hagel Smith, who stands to get most of the money, said she will start a fund
in memory of her husband with an initial donation of $25,000 that the cruise
line will match.

Hagel Smith was found passed out on a floor far from the couple's cabin, the
cruise line has said. She said that she has no recollection of what happened
and that she passed an FBI polygraph test.

The case prompted congressional hearings and new legislation to tighten
requirements for reporting when passengers disappear.

Hagel Smith said in a statement that the settlement gives her access to
records kept by the cruise line, including ship logs, security reports, door
activity records, photographs, witness statements and correspondence with
the FBI.

``My single goal continues to be to find answers regarding how George
died,'' she said. ``Reaching a settlement in this case in no way shuts down
the investigation.''

Hagel Smith's settlement has caused a rift with Smith's parents and sister.

Their attorney Brett Rivkind said the family considers the settlement
inadequate and will probably challenge it in court. ``They continue to take
the position it was a sell-out,'' Rivkind said.

Smith's family has filed a lawsuit accusing Royal Caribbean of a cover-up.

Cliff and Linda Griffith

Jan 4, 2007, 6:49:56 PM1/4/07
(Top-posting, but so be it!)

Thanks for this update, TD. I have been wondering what was going on with
this case. I have a problem with the "wife" getting any estate payments. I
think the parents and sister are entitled to some monetary funds. I don't
think this ol' girl is entitled to everything, since her story has been
questionable from Day One.

Linda

"tiny dancer" <tinyda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

cro...@earthlink.net

Jan 4, 2007, 6:55:31 PM1/4/07
once a person gets married, I think legally their spouse becomes heir #1 and
the parents/siblings go by the wayside...
I agree the wife is very iffy. And I think the cruise line has not been
shown to be involved w/ his death at all.
"Cliff and Linda Griffith" <grif...@charter.net> wrote in message
Message has been deleted

Cliff and Linda Griffith

Jan 4, 2007, 7:27:16 PM1/4/07
"comadreja" <comad...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <Nognh.2239$yY7....@newsfe04.lga>,

> "Cliff and Linda Griffith" <grif...@charter.net> wrote:
>
> > (Top-posting, but so be it!)
> >
> > Thanks for this update, TD. I have been wondering what was going on
with
> > this case. I have a problem with the "wife" getting any estate
payments. I
> > think the parents and sister are entitled to some monetary funds. I
don't
> > think this ol' girl is entitled to everything, since her story has been
> > questionable from Day One.
> >
> > Linda
>

> Whether the parents and sister are entitled is different than legal.
> Estate Law is summed up "All goes to spouse, unless stipulated". The
> parents and sister can very much contest the ruling, and have some
> legitimate arguments. I think a court in the best scenario for the
> Smith family would put the money in a trust. However, the wife got him
> declared dead, so she can get the money, and she can marry again, if she
> wants.
>
> I think everyone has a problem that the wife gets anything, given she
> is still a suspect in some way. However, legally she is just as
> entitled as a wife of 50 years.
>

> -c

You're probably right, comadreja...But I think this "newlywed" is hinky. If
I were the husband's family, I'd be on the look-out and not going along with
whatever the "wife" is pushing.

Linda

tiny dancer

Jan 5, 2007, 1:39:42 AM1/5/07

"comadreja" <comad...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <Nognh.2239$yY7....@newsfe04.lga>,
> "Cliff and Linda Griffith" <grif...@charter.net> wrote:
>
> > (Top-posting, but so be it!)
> >
> > Thanks for this update, TD. I have been wondering what was going on
with
> > this case. I have a problem with the "wife" getting any estate
payments. I
> > think the parents and sister are entitled to some monetary funds. I
don't
> > think this ol' girl is entitled to everything, since her story has been
> > questionable from Day One.
> >
> > Linda
>

> Whether the parents and sister are entitled is different than legal.
> Estate Law is summed up "All goes to spouse, unless stipulated". The
> parents and sister can very much contest the ruling, and have some
> legitimate arguments. I think a court in the best scenario for the
> Smith family would put the money in a trust. However, the wife got him
> declared dead, so she can get the money, and she can marry again, if she
> wants.
>
> I think everyone has a problem that the wife gets anything, given she
> is still a suspect in some way. However, legally she is just as
> entitled as a wife of 50 years.
>

> -c

Yup, that's really the shits, isn't it. I feel for the Smith family. They
will never know what happened to their son. What a shame.

td

Message has been deleted

I I

Jan 5, 2007, 2:36:03 AM1/5/07
Whats next, is Jennifer going to pose for Playboy for another big dollar
amount?
If she is willing to dress skimpy, dance with other men, let strange men
touch her bare waist on her honeymoon posing nude shouldn't be a
problem.

Also, what if it was all a big scam and George is hiding out waiting for
Jennifer to show up with the 1MM? Since Georges body was never found,
he could of hid out on ship or be in disguise.