information tidbit requested

Kelly Martin

Feb 28, 1993, 12:57:57 AM2/28/93
i've been told there's a gender identity clinic in indianapolis. if
anybody happens to know the name, or, better yet, the phone number of
this place, i would be most grateful if you would forward this
information to me. i've decided it's time to look into counseling
with the goal of getting into a transition program and this is
apparently the only clinic in the state. *sigh*

thanks in advance,

kelly
--
Any person who values a religion above the respect and kindness which
every human being deserves is unspeakably depraved and should have no

wana...@vax.sonoma.edu

Feb 28, 1993, 7:25:03 PM2/28/93
In article <SCG.93Fe...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, s...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kelly Martin) writes:
> i've been told there's a gender identity clinic in indianapolis. if
> anybody happens to know the name, or, better yet, the phone number of
> this place, i would be most grateful if you would forward this
> information to me. i've decided it's time to look into counseling
> with the goal of getting into a transition program and this is
> apparently the only clinic in the state. *sigh*
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> kelly

You don't have to go to a clinic to get counseling on this.
There are many people in private practice who can probably help you.
I see a private therapist, and I am going through RLT and hormone
treatments, all without a clinic. In fact, what I have heard about
most clinics so far makes me want to stay well away from them.

Sarah Wanamaker

Denise Tree

Feb 28, 1993, 11:43:08 PM2/28/93

I have to second this and my experience with clinics is first hand. I
was assisted by a private clinical psychiatrist and obtained surgery
from a very competant surgeon because of her referral. A clinic _may_
be able to help but then again they may be more interested in their
own a grindinges and their own beauocracy (sp). Health care is not free
after all and you have the right to "hire" someone who will do what
_you_ need. A competant clinician will admit that they are unable to
help if they are not TG aware and refer you to someone who can.
Just remember... if someone acts and talks like they are full of crap,
it usually means they are full of crap.

_______________ Denise Tree
________________________________tr...@cs.jhu.edu
_________________________________________.... . . . . . . .

Wendy

Mar 1, 1993, 12:32:45 AM3/1/93
wana...@vax.sonoma.edu wrote:

: Sarah Wanamaker

Many Clinics and programs are quite good. I'm in the Transition program
of the Great Lakes Gender CLinic. The therapist that runs it is very
knowledgable in Gender therapy and is one of the most compassionant
people I've ever met. The Harry Benjamin Guidelines are followed.

My suggestion would be to check it out first. The local TS population
usually has alot to say. I'm in Milwaukee and we have members coming
all the way from Chicago, so that might tell you something about the
programs quality.

Love,

Wendy

Angus H Rodgers

Mar 1, 1993, 3:15:07 PM3/1/93

>Many Clinics and programs are quite good. I'm in the Transition program
>of the Great Lakes Gender CLinic. The therapist that runs it is very
>knowledgable in Gender therapy and is one of the most compassionant
>people I've ever met. The Harry Benjamin Guidelines are followed.

For a newbie, can you say what these are?

--
Gus Rodgers, Dept. of Computer Science, |
Queen Mary & Westfield College,Mile End | The trouble with having an open mind

wana...@vax.sonoma.edu

Mar 1, 1993, 4:07:35 PM3/1/93
In article <93022...@sundown.mil.wi.us>, we...@sundown.mil.wi.us (Wendy) writes:
> Many Clinics and programs are quite good. I'm in the Transition program
> of the Great Lakes Gender CLinic. The therapist that runs it is very
> knowledgable in Gender therapy and is one of the most compassionant
> people I've ever met. The Harry Benjamin Guidelines are followed.

Isn't the Great Lakes Clinic privately run, though? I was
talking about those clinics run by Universities and other
institutions, where the patient's well-being seems to be the least concern.

> My suggestion would be to check it out first. The local TS population
> usually has alot to say. I'm in Milwaukee and we have members coming
> all the way from Chicago, so that might tell you something about the
> programs quality.

I whole-heartedly agree! It is also the best way to find out
who the good and bad surgeons are.

Hugs,
Sarah Wanamaker

we...@sundown.mil.wi.us

Mar 2, 1993, 2:45:26 PM3/2/93
wana...@vax.sonoma.edu wrote:

: In article <93022...@sundown.mil.wi.us>, we...@sundown.mil.wi.us (Wendy) writes:
: > Many Clinics and programs are quite good. I'm in the Transition program
: > of the Great Lakes Gender CLinic. The therapist that runs it is very
: > knowledgable in Gender therapy and is one of the most compassionant
: > people I've ever met. The Harry Benjamin Guidelines are followed.

: Isn't the Great Lakes Clinic privately run, though? I was
: talking about those clinics run by Universities and other
: institutions, where the patient's well-being seems to be the least concern.

Yes it is. My therapist is the director of the program. I couldn't
tell from the context that you were talking about non-private programs.
Sorry.

: > My suggestion would be to check it out first. The local TS population

: > usually has alot to say. I'm in Milwaukee and we have members coming
: > all the way from Chicago, so that might tell you something about the
: > programs quality.

: I whole-heartedly agree! It is also the best way to find out
: who the good and bad surgeons are.

Yes, it is. For example, the surgeon connected with the program is
Dr. Schrang (he is also connected with other programs). He is very
highly regarded by the local TS population in the area.

Love,

Wendy

wana...@vax.sonoma.edu

Mar 2, 1993, 11:23:50 PM3/2/93
In article <1993Mar1.2...@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>, arod...@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Angus H Rodgers) writes:
>> The Harry Benjamin Guidelines are followed.
>
> For a newbie, can you say what these are?

Some of the most important guidelines of the Harry Benjamin
International Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA) include a three
month evaluation period with a therapist before prescribing hormones,
a minimum of a one year full-time living test before being approved
for surgery, and evaluations by two outside professionals prior to surgery.

Sarah Wanamaker

we...@sundown.mil.wi.us

Mar 3, 1993, 10:15:55 AM3/3/93
wana...@vax.sonoma.edu wrote:

: Sarah Wanamaker

Sarah,

Thanks for posting that summary. I hadn't gotten around to answering
the original as I was looking for a complete copy to post here. I know
I have them somewhere around here.....

Love,

Wendy