Direct from your Hasbro insider: Power Core Combiners

Patrick Stewart

Nov 18, 2009, 2:52:10 PM11/18/09
Let me first say that I am a very lucky person and a very lucky
Transformer fan. To be in the fortunate position that I am in, I am
very thankful. It is my wish to share my experiences with you, my
fellow fans.
As you obviously know, things have been incredibly busy here at
Hasbro. With the movie toys in full swing and the remaining few
Transformers Animated toys going out, there are not enough hours in
the day to get things done. I just finished specifications on the
first wave of Power Core Combiner toys this morning.
Power Core Combiners (PCC) is a little different than what you're
accustomed to with Transformers. The Powerlinx feature was so
successful that we have been challenged to create a toyline that can
be massively combined and reconfigured. Each toy can be disassembled
and reassembled using components from every other toy in the line.
Beyond that the toys can be combined as gestalts in a nearly limitless
number of configurations. In effect all the toys can combine with each
other simultaneously. Our computer models look promising, the
engineers have been able to create a gestalt using thirty-two of our
prototyped toys. It's a really awesome time to be a Transformers fan.
Like I said, it's incredibly busy and I wanted to shoot this e-mail to
you while I had a few minutes free. We'll have more for you later.
From your Transformer insider, Patrick Stewart

Onslaught Six

Nov 18, 2009, 6:19:27 PM11/18/09

I don't buy it one bit. It sounds like something plausible, but I have
to ask--why would a Hasbro insider post at ATT, of all places? I mean,
the low-profileness means that it won't likely be picked up by any of
the major news sites for maybe a few days, but after that...

Plus, why would someone even know ATT exists in this first place
unless they'd been here before? It makes sense for Zob to be posting
his marginally leaked Wal-Mart information (not that what he's doing
is wrong, or anything) because Zob's been here for over a decade.

So I call it now: Troll.

TigerMegatron

Nov 18, 2009, 6:39:56 PM11/18/09
Patrick stewart,aren't you the joker/troll in the jake/aziraphelle
batch of mis-fits from 8+years ago?

Brian Kilby

Nov 18, 2009, 6:47:26 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 6:19 pm, Onslaught Six <onslaught...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't buy it one bit. It sounds like something plausible, but I have
> to ask--why would a Hasbro insider post at ATT, of all places?

He's been doing it for years. He's usually hit or miss. He predicted a
Transformers movie about ten years ago. I doubt he's Hasbro but
probably a vendor or someone who works with Hasbro.

Brian Kilby

Nov 18, 2009, 6:50:08 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 6:39 pm, TigerMegatron <TigerMegat...@aol.com> wrote:
> Patrick stewart,aren't you the joker/troll in the jake/aziraphelle
> batch of mis-fits from 8+years ago?

That sounds about right, yes.

robo_rob

Nov 18, 2009, 7:08:33 PM11/18/09
I, for one, welcome Mr Stewart and his info. Even if it's fake, it's
nice to have some fun rumors again.

Blaster Master

Nov 18, 2009, 10:04:47 PM11/18/09
My troll-o-meter just spiked!

--

Blaster Master
a.k.a.

"Patrick Stewart" <pst...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Travoltron

Nov 19, 2009, 12:09:08 AM11/19/09
Patrick Stewart wrote:

> Power Core Combiners (PCC) is a little different than what you're
> accustomed to with Transformers. The Powerlinx feature was so
> successful that we have been challenged to create a toyline that can
> be massively combined and reconfigured. Each toy can be disassembled
> and reassembled using components from every other toy in the line.
> Beyond that the toys can be combined as gestalts in a nearly limitless
> number of configurations. In effect all the toys can combine with each
> other simultaneously.

This sounds like what Bandai already did with Machine Robo Mugenbine.
It was an interesting concept, but felt more like a lego/building toy
than a true transforming robot toy.

Grebo

Nov 19, 2009, 3:47:36 AM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 9:09 pm, Travoltron <travolt...@defender.uni> wrote:

> This sounds like what Bandai already did with Machine Robo Mugenbine.
> It was an interesting concept, but felt more like a lego/building toy
> than a true transforming robot toy.

Yes, exactly. It's just like MachineRobo Mugenbine. Or at least
MachineRobo Rescue.

Or, if you prefer, Lego Transformers. AKA Zoids Blox.

Grebo!

SteveD

Nov 19, 2009, 6:19:54 AM11/19/09
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:09:08 -0800, Travoltron <travo...@defender.uni>
wrote:

It does sound a little too Lego-y for Transformers, but I can see how it
might be workable - think Monstructor but with the shells able to be
disassembled into weapons, armor, or other accessories which could be
mounted on the combined form.

The problem with having extremely flexible combiner modes in Transformers
has often been that there are design compromises.

- Excellent altmodes
- Excellent robot modes
- Super-versatile combiner options
- Innovative transformations and altmodes which don't just copy each other
- Cheap

Pick less than five. OK, to be honest, for some Transformer toys, pick one
or fewer. But usually, there's often two, and three isn't uncommon.

LEGO and other building-brick lines can do all five to a degree, although
with less emphasis placed on the polish of the forms. The problem is that
although disassembly/reassembly is a well-known way to reach those goals,
it:

(a) isn't as appealing to kids and adults who buy Transformers; and

(b) can overlap too much, to the point where buyers say "Well, we may as
well just buy a pack of Lego, because it's cheaper, connects with a
billion more things, comes in whatever color you like, and is even more
flexible."

-SteveD

robo_rob

Nov 19, 2009, 4:15:26 PM11/19/09

Or Built To Rule.

Evil King Macrocranios

Nov 19, 2009, 5:37:22 PM11/19/09
> > Yes, exactly. It's just like MachineRobo Mugenbine. Or at least
> > MachineRobo Rescue.

> > Or, if you prefer, Lego Transformers. AKA Zoids Blox.

> Or Built To Rule.

Or Robolinks!

Or Robotroid!

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2009, 12:22:19 AM11/20/09
On Nov 20, 3:37 am, Evil King Macrocranios

Robotix! Was there even a toyline for that show? I'm pretty sure it
tanked after the pilot.

robo_rob

Nov 20, 2009, 12:29:22 AM11/20/09
On Nov 19, 2:37 pm, Evil King Macrocranios

dude, STARRIORS!

Travoltron

Nov 20, 2009, 12:59:26 AM11/20/09
ahsan.sa...@gmail.com wrote:

> Robotix! Was there even a toyline for that show? I'm pretty sure it
> tanked after the pilot.

Yeah, I think they even brought the toys back a few years ago.