"Binaltech preview"? Real or fake?

Nevermore

Feb 11, 2005, 5:53:49 PM2/11/05
Now, I've followed the official BT canon via translations provided by
Fan to Fan, LagunaL8 and Doug Dlin, but I've never heard of this
before:

http://shorterlink.com/?49MPC5

A "Binaltech preview" that supposedly mentions G.B. Blackrock as one of
the founders of the BT project and ties into the "Masterpiece Prime
story"? Has anyone ever heard of that, and if so, could you provide a
link and/or more information?

--
The ultimate Binaltech/Alternators resource page
http://www.binalternators.de/

Doug Dlin

Feb 11, 2005, 11:18:22 PM2/11/05
Nevermore wrote:
> Now, I've followed the official BT canon via translations provided by
> Fan to Fan, LagunaL8 and Doug Dlin, but I've never heard of this
> before:
>
> http://shorterlink.com/?49MPC5
>
> A "Binaltech preview" that supposedly mentions G.B. Blackrock as one of
> the founders of the BT project and ties into the "Masterpiece Prime
> story"? Has anyone ever heard of that, and if so, could you provide a
> link and/or more information?

Definitely doesn't sound familiar to me, and I've been checking back
through my notes and all. I won't rule it out completely--it's well
established that my memory is far from perfect--but I'm 90+% sure there
ain't no such. I certainly don't recall that solid a link to the G1
comic storyline at the time BT-01 came out.

Doug Dlin
apcog at hotmail.com

Nevermore

Feb 12, 2005, 8:06:17 AM2/12/05
Hmm. It's assumed by many that the person who brought this up is making
up lots of crazy things on the spot... for example, Doug: Are his
claims that ALL Japanese continuities are connected somehow true? I was
under the impression that Japanese G1 ended with Beast Wars Neo (now
probably expanded by Beast Wars returns), while both Car Robots and
Micron Densetsu/Superlink are to be considered alternate timelines. The
only connection so far would be "Robot Masters", which would parallel
Hasbro's "Universe" reality flux and their official stance that there's
only one Unicron for all realities.
Can you confirm this?

David Willis

Feb 12, 2005, 9:57:15 AM2/12/05

"Nevermore" <tab...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> Hmm. It's assumed by many that the person who brought this up is making
> up lots of crazy things on the spot... for example, Doug: Are his
> claims that ALL Japanese continuities are connected somehow true? I was
> under the impression that Japanese G1 ended with Beast Wars Neo (now
> probably expanded by Beast Wars returns), while both Car Robots and
> Micron Densetsu/Superlink are to be considered alternate timelines. The
> only connection so far would be "Robot Masters", which would parallel
> Hasbro's "Universe" reality flux and their official stance that there's
> only one Unicron for all realities.
> Can you confirm this?

TFVanguard is just Neale Davidson. He makes all sorts of stuff up. Don't
worry
about it.

--David
www.itswalky.com

Pyre

Feb 12, 2005, 1:01:40 PM2/12/05
Nevermore wrote:

> Hmm. It's assumed by many that the person who brought this up is making
> up lots of crazy things on the spot...

TFVangard is Neale Davidson and I believe he has a history of doing such
things. Hasn't he been banned from both TFW and Allspark? I don't know
the reasons why, but if so it wouldn't surprise me if stuff like this is
the reason why.

--
Pyre[Rock] - pyres...@crosswinds.net
http://pyresdomain.crosswinds.net/

Doug Dlin

Feb 12, 2005, 1:49:07 PM2/12/05
On Feb. 12, 2005, Nevermore wrote:

> Hmm. It's assumed by many that the person who brought this up is making
> up lots of crazy things on the spot... for example, Doug: Are his
> claims that ALL Japanese continuities are connected somehow true? I was
> under the impression that Japanese G1 ended with Beast Wars Neo (now
> probably expanded by Beast Wars returns), while both Car Robots and
> Micron Densetsu/Superlink are to be considered alternate timelines.

That's pretty much how I see it. I've not done any in-depth research,
to be sure, but there was certainly never any promo info, on-screen
material or other reports that I'd seen that indicated otherwise. As
far as I'm concerned, the main JTF continuity stretches from the
original through Operation: Combination, with a slight branching (as
with here) for the BW-BWNeo (and now BMach) timeline. There's a chance
the BW-era continuity can be fully melded in with G1's, but I think it'd
take some work. TFCR is its own world apart from the rest, and MD/SL
are on their own as a set. My current take on GF is that it's also a
continuity unto itself, barring further evidence. The only link to
MD/SL is the presence of Microns, and they're not treated the same at
all in GF. They're a same-concept carryover, like leaders named Convoy
and Megatron.

> The only connection so far would be "Robot Masters", which would
> parallel Hasbro's "Universe" reality flux

More or less. I don't think there's any explanation offered in the RM
fiction for why all these different TFs from different eras are mixing
the way they are. There's occasional lip service paid to their former
separation (G1 Convoy doesn't recognize BW Megatron, and I think there's
a mention of Energois), but that's about it. No cause given, like there
is in TFU.

> and their official stance that there's
> only one Unicron for all realities.
> Can you confirm this?

Not in any official capacity, no. I don't know about there being one
Unicron for all realities in the Japanese over-continuity.

If TFVanguard is indeed Neale, as Walky and Pyre say, then I'm afraid
they're right. Neale had an unfortunate habit of making very confident
pronouncements of unorthodox info, claiming it as fact, but being unable
to produce anything to back up his claims. He had various
reasons/excuses (couldn't remember where, source wanted to be anonymous,
info used to be up somewhere but wasn't now, etc.), but they all managed
to make him look very suspicious.

It's a shame; Neale made some very decent contributions to the fandom
years back, what with his file/avatar icons, TF fonts, and his
compilation of my translated tech specs (though he took liberties to
rephrase them here and there) in illustrated .pdf format. Yet his last
months here were severely marred by the activities I mention in the
previous paragraph.

The last I'd heard, Neale had quit TF fandom. Guess he just shifted
venues. You can look up his history via Google Groups, I'm sure, if you
want to know more. He may still have worthwhile material to add, but
I'd take any further such claims of his with a small bag of salt,
until/unless he can produce solid evidence to back them up.

OnslaughtSix

Feb 12, 2005, 4:34:28 PM2/12/05

Doug Dlin wrote:
> On Feb. 12, 2005, Nevermore wrote:

> That's pretty much how I see it. I've not done any in-depth
research,
> to be sure, but there was certainly never any promo info, on-screen
> material or other reports that I'd seen that indicated otherwise. As

> far as I'm concerned, the main JTF continuity stretches from the
> original through Operation: Combination, with a slight branching (as
> with here) for the BW-BWNeo (and now BMach) timeline. There's a
chance
> the BW-era continuity can be fully melded in with G1's, but I think
it'd
> take some work. TFCR is its own world apart from the rest, and MD/SL

> are on their own as a set. My current take on GF is that it's also a

> continuity unto itself, barring further evidence. The only link to
> MD/SL is the presence of Microns, and they're not treated the same at

> all in GF. They're a same-concept carryover, like leaders named
Convoy
> and Megatron.

I'm still holding my position that it was stated *somewhere* that
everybody from Car Robots was from the BW/G1 continuity. Chased after
Gigatron in some kind of transwarp portal or something like that, and
popped up in an alternate dimension.

David Willis

Feb 12, 2005, 5:11:08 PM2/12/05
> I'm still holding my position that it was stated *somewhere* that
> everybody from Car Robots was from the BW/G1 continuity. Chased after
> Gigatron in some kind of transwarp portal or something like that, and
> popped up in an alternate dimension.

Only in fanfiction, my friend.

--David
www.itswalky.com

Nevermore

Feb 12, 2005, 5:41:48 PM2/12/05
OnslaughtSix wrote:
> I'm still holding my position that it was stated *somewhere* that
> everybody from Car Robots was from the BW/G1 continuity. Chased after
> Gigatron in some kind of transwarp portal or something like that, and
> popped up in an alternate dimension.

Probably by the same people who claimed
- that Matrix Forever/TF:TM isn't considered part of Japanese
continuity
- that "Scramble City" is to be considered a fully-fledged substitute
for the movie in Japanese continuity, in terms of introducing the 2010
cast and what not
- that the craptastic "Scramble City" stop-motion toy animation thingie
is to be considered part of Japanese continuity
- that Megatron and Galvatron are different individuals in Japanese
continuity
- that Dark Nova sends Super Megatron to kill Galvatron in
"Battlestars"

Ethan Hammond

Feb 13, 2005, 4:47:59 AM2/13/05
"Nevermore" <tab...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> Probably by the same people who claimed
> - that Matrix Forever/TF:TM isn't considered part of Japanese
> continuity

It wasn't until they acknowledge in in Headmasters. ^_-

> - that "Scramble City" is to be considered a fully-fledged substitute
> for the movie in Japanese continuity, in terms of introducing the 2010
> cast and what not

Well it was when it came out for we did not get the movie in Japan
land. I was there at the time and know of the ways. The movie
no come out in Japan for a long time after it was out in the rest
of the world. I mean the first episode of HM explained it before
the movie even came to Japan.

> - that the craptastic "Scramble City" stop-motion toy animation thingie
> is to be considered part of Japanese continuity

Heh, I like it myself.

> - that Megatron and Galvatron are different individuals in Japanese
> continuity

I guess they have never watched the first episode of Headmaster
if they think this since it shows Megatron being reformatted into
Galvatron.

> - that Dark Nova sends Super Megatron to kill Galvatron in
> "Battlestars"

Well a lot of people read that on some webpage and never bothered
to read the manga for themselves.

There is a really nice collection that reprints all the Japanese TV comics
manga, you get Minerva in a bathing suit several times and it has
furigana so it is really easy to red. I got mine from Hobbylink.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Ethan Hammond

Feb 13, 2005, 4:55:58 AM2/13/05
"David Willis" <wii...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

All the best stories happen in fanfiction with self insert characters.
Will anyone get the double meaning, dun dun dun!!!!

Jordan L Derber

Feb 13, 2005, 5:49:04 AM2/13/05
In article <1108248108....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

Nevermore <tab...@t-online.de> wrote:
>Probably by the same people who claimed
>- that Matrix Forever/TF:TM isn't considered part of Japanese
>continuity

And don't forget the people who thing that TFTM was called "Matrix
Forever" in Japan when it was only the name of a TFTM promo video.

--
Jordan Derber
e-mail: jsdst5 at pitt.edu
jsd_d305 at hotmail.com

Nevermore

Feb 13, 2005, 11:45:39 AM2/13/05

Jordan L Derber wrote:
> And don't forget the people who thing that TFTM was called "Matrix
> Forever" in Japan when it was only the name of a TFTM promo video.

Ah, okay, didn't know that yet - everywhere I read people being more
into the Japanese stuff *did* refer to it by that name.

Nevermore

Feb 13, 2005, 11:46:32 AM2/13/05
Ethan Hammond wrote:
> It wasn't until they acknowledge in in Headmasters. ^_-

How about the flashback at the beginning of FFoD? Did the Japanese get
that?

Derik Inessi Smith

Feb 13, 2005, 8:04:12 PM2/13/05
Doug Dlin wrote:

>As far as I'm concerned, the main JTF continuity
>stretches from the original through Operation: Combination,
>with a slight branching (as with here) for the BW-BWNeo
>(and now BMach) timeline. There's a chance the BW-era
>continuity can be fully melded in with G1's, but I think
>it'd take some work. TFCR is its own world apart from the
>rest, and MD/SL are on their own as a set.

Though not strictly int he same vein- I feel I should bring this
up (especialyl since someone mentioned later on that they weren't sure
about the dimension-spanning Unicron having any part of Japanese
continuity.)

I remember when Takara was showing off Robotmaster pics, they
included some fun stuff like 'character first appeared' notices.
Doubleface's had him first appearing in Car Robots, not Micron Legend.
This, apparently a reference to his RiD toy.
Which means Takara regards CR and RID as one cintinuity (or at
least prisimatic inversions of one continuity, viewed from opposing
angles.)
Which also means that the unspecified threat Fire Convoy was
fortifying Earth against when he created the Super Spy Changers was
probably Unicron. (Omega Prime was kidnapped by Unicron in TFU#1-
which appears to be what prompted him to get his yellow upgrade and
start the Cybertron Dimensional Patrol-- prior to again being kidnapped
by PRimus in TFU#3.)

And, since RiD itself have some nebulous ties to G1 (it's at
least as valid a post-G1-season2 as Robotmasters or LAtenrators--
though the latter is supposed to theoreticly lead into TF:TM) that
would place the multi-dimensional Unicron- and TFU, into Japanese
continuity.
Albeit-- the one series which in Japan, shares continuity no
other TF incarnation. ;-)

-Derik

Doug Dlin

Feb 13, 2005, 9:20:26 PM2/13/05
On Jan. 13, 2005, Derik Inessi Smith wrote:

> Doug Dlin wrote:
>

>>As far as I'm concerned, the main JTF continuity
>>stretches from the original through Operation: Combination,
>>with a slight branching (as with here) for the BW-BWNeo
>>(and now BMach) timeline. There's a chance the BW-era
>>continuity can be fully melded in with G1's, but I think
>>it'd take some work. TFCR is its own world apart from the
>>rest, and MD/SL are on their own as a set.
>

> Though not strictly int he same vein- I feel I should bring this
> up (especialyl since someone mentioned later on that they weren't sure
> about the dimension-spanning Unicron having any part of Japanese
> continuity.)
>
> I remember when Takara was showing off Robotmaster pics, they
> included some fun stuff like 'character first appeared' notices.
> Doubleface's had him first appearing in Car Robots, not Micron Legend.
> This, apparently a reference to his RiD toy.

What RiD toy is that? Oh, you mean the retroactively named Laser Cycle.
Are you sure they were referring to the appearance of the character
within continuity and not the toy within the toy line? If it meant "toy
line in which the toy first appeared," that may not sit well with the
remaining extrapolation you do below.

> Which means Takara regards CR and RID as one cintinuity (or at
> least prisimatic inversions of one continuity, viewed from opposing
> angles.)

Er...what? For some reason, I'm having trouble parsing that.

> Which also means that the unspecified threat Fire Convoy was
> fortifying Earth against when he created the Super Spy Changers was
> probably Unicron. (Omega Prime was kidnapped by Unicron in TFU#1-
> which appears to be what prompted him to get his yellow upgrade and
> start the Cybertron Dimensional Patrol-- prior to again being kidnapped
> by PRimus in TFU#3.)

TFU shouldn't impact on Japanese continuity, since they don't have that
there. They have RM as a semi-equivalent concept, but it's not the same
as the TFU multi-versal continuity.

> And, since RiD itself have some nebulous ties to G1 (it's at
> least as valid a post-G1-season2 as Robotmasters or LAtenrators--

That's a novel take on the word...

> though the latter is supposed to theoreticly lead into TF:TM)

Or as near an equivalent as will be possible once the line runs its
course...

> that would place the multi-dimensional Unicron- and TFU, into Japanese
> continuity.

I think you're stretching things a bit, really. You're pulling in pure
speculation plus evidence from a clearly unrelated continuity, being
that it doesn't exist on the market in in Japan.

> Albeit-- the one series which in Japan, shares continuity no
> other TF incarnation. ;-)

Hardly seems worth the effort, does it. :-)

Ethan Hammond

Feb 14, 2005, 2:10:32 AM2/14/05
"Nevermore" <tab...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> > It wasn't until they acknowledge in in Headmasters. ^_-
>
> How about the flashback at the beginning of FFoD? Did the Japanese get
> that?

I don't remember if that showed Megatron getting reformatted.

Derik Inessi Smith

Feb 14, 2005, 7:33:31 AM2/14/05
Doug Dlin wrote:
>>I remember when Takara was showing off Robotmaster pics,
>>they included some fun stuff like 'character first appeared'
>>notices.
>>Doubleface's had him first appearing in Car Robots, not
>>Micron Legend.
>> This, apparently a reference to his RiD toy.
>
>What RiD toy is that? Oh, you mean the retroactively named
>Laser Cycle.

'Retroactively' in what sense? RiD's version of Sideways was the
first one, it predated his armada toy by a year. (Same character
too...)

>Are you sure they were referring to the appearance of the
>character within continuity and not the toy within the toy
>line?

Fairly!

>If it meant "toy line in which the toy first appeared," that
>may not sit well with the remaining extrapolation you do below.

Well, RiD Sideways was made using the Road Rocket mold-- whereas
Robotmasters Doubleface was made using the RoadPig mold.
New incarnation of the character-- whicht he notes indicated first
appeared in CR.

Except, you know, he didn't first appear in CR. He appeared in
RiD's expanded toyline.
So either a) Takara was refering to RiD as CR to simplify (anf for
some reason didnt' jsut simplify by saying his 1st appearance was in
Micron Legend) or b) the 'usa editions,' despite being part of RiD's
expanded story-- are part of Car Robots continuity.

I'd be inclined to say B was reaching-- but the backstory of the
Super Spychangers-- Fire Convoy giving them all supermodes in
preperation for a coming, unspecified, threat... meshes REALLY WELL
with TFU's story- and specificly how RiD Prime's knowledge of Unicron
(having been kidnapped by him and returned pre-yellow) resulted in his
higher state of alert.

So I'm not hanging this on Takara's website's note of Doubleface's
1st appearance-- I'm hanging this on the Super Spychanger/TFU synergy--
and citing Doubleface's bio as supporting evidence.

...this is sane, I promise.

>>Which means Takara regards CR and RID as one cintinuity
>>(or at least prisimatic inversions of one continuity,
>>viewed from opposing angles.)
>
> Er...what? For some reason, I'm having trouble parsing that.

See, you get six blind men and an elephant-- no, wait, that sounds
too much like a dirty joke...

Takara views US additions to RiD as being 'applicable' to CR-- in
continuiity- but CR continuity, not RiD.
Kinda like Hasbro appropriated Ginrai-- but characterizes him like
Hi-Q. But not. No, not really...

Stupid quantum continuity prisms, reflecting a single underlying
reality but assumign different internal configurations depending on
which cultural perspective you view them from...

>TFU shouldn't impact on Japanese continuity, since they
>don't have that there.

*shrug* If US addiotns to Rid apply, even broadly, to CR-- TFU
does some stuff to RiD after the show ends. STuff which meshes with
Takara's post-CR toyline story. If they mesh because they in fact
relect the same events-- that means TFU is in CR continuity.
(Ironicly, CR would not be in TFU continuity though.)
Even more ironicly, even if this is true, CR is the single most
isolated continuity in Japan-- so even if TFU did rexist for it, that
wouldn't necessarily affect any other series.

Yay, Mike's back!

-Derik