[TOY] Pretender Monsters--what the heck is wrong with these ROTTEN things?

Thylacine 2000

Jun 10, 2001, 2:10:25 PM6/10/01
Don't misunderstand the topic line here--I'm actually a big fan of the
Monstructor team. They are, in fact, the only G1 combiner team that I
unreservedly enjoy.

I just want to know what went wrong with their physical design process.

For a while, I'd heard people mention that the PrMo's had some sort of
problem with the rubbery shells getting all icky or slimy or
what-have-you, but paid it no special attention. Now, though, this
factor diminished my enjoyment of a new TF, so I'm pissed.

Y'see, when I got the whole team back about 3 years ago, five of them
were MOC and perfect--the sixth, Wildfly, was loose, missing his weapons
and stickers, and with a badly scratched shell. Of course that wouldn't
do, so I looked for replacements at two subsequent Botcons.... and
couldn't really find any that were significantly better.

Just a few weeks ago I finally managed to hunt down a MOC Wildfly on
eBay, and upon its arrival, I slit it open only to find........

.......that the outer shell was practically *liquefied*. I mean, it was
still a solid object and not melted or deformed, but just touching it
left a distinct layer of oily residue all over my fingers, and *huge*
swathes of the paint had just sloughed off the shell, leaving behind the
naked colorless rubber.

Now, all the rigid-plastic stuff (robot, accessories) were mint, so I've
got them stored with the old, dry, full-paintjob-having, scratched-up
Wildfly shell I got 3 years ago.

What I want to know is, *what* causes some of these Pretender Monster
shells to... decompose? is that the word?--and why doesn't it strike
all of them? Does it also affect the shells of their Japanese Dinoforce
counterparts?

--

T T T

"BETTER LIVING THROUGH ZOOLOGY!"

"War is a dirty business, and I'm as dirty as they come with yo' mama."

Zobovor

Jun 10, 2001, 3:43:43 PM6/10/01
Thylacine 2000 wrote:

>Just a few weeks ago I finally managed to hunt down a MOC Wildfly on
>eBay, and upon its arrival, I slit it open only to find........
>
>.......that the outer shell was practically *liquefied*. I mean, it was
>still a solid object and not melted or deformed, but just touching it
>left a distinct layer of oily residue all over my fingers, and *huge*
>swathes of the paint had just sloughed off the shell, leaving behind the
>naked colorless rubber.

Ew, gross.

>What I want to know is, *what* causes some of these Pretender
>Monster shells to... decompose? is that the word?--and why doesn't it
>strike all of them? Does it also affect the shells of their Japanese
>Dinoforce counterparts?

Never having owned any of the genuine Pretender Monsters, I haven't ever
examined any of their shells up close. Clearly, it's got something to do with
their "rubbery skin" construction. I've heard about the shells developing
discolored patches before, but nothing like this.

...Actually, I wonder if Hasbro customer service would be willing to send you a
replacement toy? It may be twelve years old, but it's still their product, and
you had the expectation that it would be in new condition. Doubtful that
you'll get back what you spent on eBay, but maybe they'll be nice and send you
a Car Robots toy before it hits the shelves or something. :)

--
Zobovor

ZMFTS: It's not easy being a giant leathery hamster.
http://members.aol.com/zobovor/index.html

Prime Saber

Jun 10, 2001, 4:53:36 PM6/10/01
Thylacine 2000 wrote:

> Does it also affect the shells of their Japanese Dinoforce
> counterparts?

My Yokuryu's pterodactyl shell (Wildfly's counterpart) is the
oilest one of the slightly oily-shelled group, but the only
sign of "decomposition" is dull gold paint on the rubber shells.

Tony Li, the Prime Saber

Overlord of Japanese TFs from Headmasters through Car Robots at
http://www.primesaber.com

Bluestreak7

Jun 10, 2001, 5:10:33 PM6/10/01
I played with my 3 Monster Pretender shells (Birdbrain, Slog, Icepick) in my
sandpile when I was younger.

Now they don't seem to have any problem with stickyness and such, since the
sand dryed them off alot.

I don't know if this is a valid solution, but still, my 3 are in good
condition.

Now, if only I can get the other 3 to complete Monstructor.

--Bluestreak7

http://www.bluestreak7.iwarp.com
http://www.geocites.com/bluestreak7tf
Paranoid people give flavor to life
I will live forever....or die trying
G1 Episode count: 90
Newest TF Item(s): TM2 Cybershark

Scific1258

Jun 10, 2001, 7:03:41 PM6/10/01
I have 5 of the 6 Monstructor guys, only missing Wildfly.
Hopefully i can get it from somewhere online.
If anyone has Wildfly for trade or sale, please email me.

Hydra Darkwings

Jun 10, 2001, 7:49:27 PM6/10/01
Thy, I haven't noticed it so much with the Monster Pretenders, but those
Dinforce guys get nasty as hell.. all the ones' I've opened have been slimy,
and almost all the times I've opened one with gold paint, it's oxidized
greenish on part. Personally, I think it looks badass, but it's a little
disturbing. Humorously, doesn't Bristleback's tech say that Earth's atmosphere
causes him to rust or corrode?
-Hydra Darkwings: Eccentric Wandering Collector of Transformer Rarities!
Currently training for BotCon '01 trivia contest!

Check out the Darkwings' Shrine to Devil Z:
http://members.nbci.com/hantaakiraa/pt

GR Crosscut

Jun 10, 2001, 11:50:12 PM6/10/01
Thylacine 2000 <thytw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3B23B810...@hotmail.com>...
<ker-snip>

> Just a few weeks ago I finally managed to hunt down a MOC Wildfly on
> eBay, and upon its arrival, I slit it open only to find........
>
> .......that the outer shell was practically *liquefied*. I mean, it was
> still a solid object and not melted or deformed, but just touching it
> left a distinct layer of oily residue all over my fingers, and *huge*
> swathes of the paint had just sloughed off the shell, leaving behind the
> naked colorless rubber.
>
> Now, all the rigid-plastic stuff (robot, accessories) were mint, so I've
> got them stored with the old, dry, full-paintjob-having, scratched-up
> Wildfly shell I got 3 years ago.
>
> What I want to know is, *what* causes some of these Pretender Monster
> shells to... decompose? is that the word?--and why doesn't it strike
> all of them? Does it also affect the shells of their Japanese Dinoforce
> counterparts?

Hmm interesting coincidence. I think I had two of these guys when I
was a kid. I think I still have the shell for Wildfly, let's go
check...

Ah ha! Here it is! Hmm, he seems pretty solid to me, except that...
eeeww! Those weren't there last time I checked! I think he's got a bad
case of acne or something! Check it out, has this happened to any of
your pretender monsters?

http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly1.jpg
http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly2.jpg
http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly3.jpg

---
Crosscut
Monster Pretenders Robots are the single cutest Transformers of all
time. Especially the super deformed Monstructor from the Victory
commercial break things.
---

M. Scott Houston

Jun 10, 2001, 11:54:22 PM6/10/01
Both of the Monstructor Pretenders that I own have gotten pretty slimy, and
I've noticed this has been happening to my regular Pretenders too. On them
it has been mostly on the arms and any accessories that are made of a
similiar rubber plastic. Waverider is the worst. When I first picked him
up, I thought that the residue was just lil' kid slime and a good washing
would clean it off, but a few days later it was sticky again. I've also had
this happen to a Godzilla figure and some old Masters of the Universe
figures. From what I've been told, there are chemicals in the paint and
plastic that don't react well together and there's really nothing that can
be done about it. Since I never really cared for most of the Pretender
shells, I've really been thinking of getting rid of them, but the crazy toy
completist in me just won't let me do it.
--Scott Houston

Thylacine 2000 <thytw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

M Sipher

Jun 11, 2001, 12:03:35 AM6/11/01

> Don't misunderstand the topic line here--I'm actually a big fan of the

> Monstructor team. They are, in fact, the only G1 combiner team that I
> unreservedly enjoy.

They're one of my favorites too. So much I HAD to get the DinoKing set...
well, that and the fact that they're hilarious in VICTORY.

> I just want to know what went wrong with their physical design process.
>
> For a while, I'd heard people mention that the PrMo's had some sort of
> problem with the rubbery shells getting all icky or slimy or
> what-have-you, but paid it no special attention. Now, though, this
> factor diminished my enjoyment of a new TF, so I'm pissed.

Oh, I thought you were gonna talk about that hyperbrittle gold plastic used
on some of them. The same stuff that cracked on my Pretender Roadblock...

> Just a few weeks ago I finally managed to hunt down a MOC Wildfly on
> eBay, and upon its arrival, I slit it open only to find........
>
> .......that the outer shell was practically *liquefied*. I mean, it was
> still a solid object and not melted or deformed, but just touching it
> left a distinct layer of oily residue all over my fingers, and *huge*
> swathes of the paint had just sloughed off the shell, leaving behind the
> naked colorless rubber.

Hm. I just dug up all my Pretender Monsters recently... they haven't had any
problems with oily residue or disolving paint.

HOWEVER, looking at Wildfly... his skin's gone blotchy. He has spots on him
that are pink, like the paint faded in large circles. The others seem fine
right now...

Mind, this does make him look a bit uglier, a semi-nice effect... though
it's disturbing to think that it might spread like it did on Michael
Jackson.

> What I want to know is, *what* causes some of these Pretender Monster
> shells to... decompose? is that the word?--and why doesn't it strike
> all of them? Does it also affect the shells of their Japanese Dinoforce
> counterparts?

Oh, yes. Yes, it does.

When I got the DinoKing gift set back at BC'98, I couldn't wait to get them
open. I opened the box, and...

THE SHELLS WERE ALL OILY.

I was sad. I put them in the sink, filled it with water and washed them off
as best as I could, which took care of most of it, and went about. However,
they still do have a light hint of oiliness.

And a few of them have developed this ugly green tarnish on the painted gold
bits that I can't do ANYTHING about. I didn't keep them in the sun or
anything, but that patina came out anyway. I have no idea why.

M "Mostly Because Replacements Will Be A ROYAL Bitch..." Sipher
--
King Weasel Productions - home of the productions of King Weasel!
Transformers, RockMan, original art, the solutions to all life's problems

M Sipher

Jun 11, 2001, 12:06:44 AM6/11/01
Hydra Darkwings <hydr...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Thy, I haven't noticed it so much with the Monster Pretenders, but those
> Dinforce guys get nasty as hell.. all the ones' I've opened have been
slimy,
> and almost all the times I've opened one with gold paint, it's oxidized
> greenish on part.

Mine had EXACTLY that same problem. Made me a bit angry about the PRICE I
paid for them...

M "After What I Spent On The Gift Set, I DIDN'T Expect Slime!" Sipher

Erik L. Knopp

Jun 11, 2001, 2:04:54 AM6/11/01
GR Crosscut <gyarad...@hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Hmm interesting coincidence. I think I had two of these guys when I
> was a kid. I think I still have the shell for Wildfly, let's go
> check...
>
> Ah ha! Here it is! Hmm, he seems pretty solid to me, except that...
> eeeww! Those weren't there last time I checked! I think he's got a bad
> case of acne or something! Check it out, has this happened to any of
> your pretender monsters?
>
> http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly1.jpg
> http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly2.jpg
> http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly3.jpg
>
> ---
> Crosscut
<snip>

My Wildfly shell is the same way. When I hold it in front of a light, I
can almost see through the shell where those marks are. (The material is
stretched thin at those points.) The rest of my Monster Pretenders seem
to be fine.

Erik
--
Erik L. Knopp
ekn...@isd.net

Jørgen Lid Widing

Jun 11, 2001, 7:26:39 AM6/11/01
I have the same probelm with the gold paint on my Dinoforce as well... But
none of the shells are oily, but they have got a starge green-white color
were it used to be gold paint at some places in the shells.

Jørgen
Transformers code:
G++ FR- FW-- M- #157 D++ ADA N++ W++ B++ OQ++ BC CN- BM P225
The Decepticons homepage: http://joerl.home.online.no/decepticons/

"Prime Saber" <Prime...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

npk

Jun 11, 2001, 11:32:00 AM6/11/01
ekn...@isd.net (Erik L. Knopp) wrote in message news:<1eutb2h.isn8hr1nn36ziN%ekn...@isd.net>...

> My Wildfly shell is the same way. When I hold it in front of a light, I
> can almost see through the shell where those marks are. (The material is
> stretched thin at those points.) The rest of my Monster Pretenders seem
> to be fine.
>
> Erik

My Wildfly shell also has a few small pink spots, but nothing
terrible. The shell I have the most problems with is Slog, who is also
the oiliest of my shells. He has what appears to be colonies of mold
spores living just under his skin. Luckily, they nearly match his
coloration. :)

- npk
Yeah, you remember me.

Rapido

Jun 11, 2001, 1:38:16 PM6/11/01
A few months ago I got a MOC Icepick whose shell was also quite oily.
I took some kleenex and patted it down some. That seemed to help some
but some of the color came off with the the "oil".

The cause it prolly a mixture of the paint and plastic used plus maybe
the darn wasn't stored in what you can call a 'cool' place.

Jose Negron

Zobovor

Jun 12, 2001, 1:35:18 AM6/12/01
Rapido wrote:

>A few months ago I got a MOC Icepick whose shell was also quite oily.
>I took some kleenex and patted it down some. That seemed to help
>some but some of the color came off with the the "oil".

I'm surprised Hasbro didn't issue a recall on these things at some point.
Well, at least I know to stay away from the carded Monster Pretenders and focus
on opened toys...

M. Scott Houston

Jun 12, 2001, 1:49:38 AM6/12/01

GR Crosscut <gyarad...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ah ha! Here it is! Hmm, he seems pretty solid to me, except that...
> eeeww! Those weren't there last time I checked! I think he's got a bad
> case of acne or something! Check it out, has this happened to any of
> your pretender monsters?
>
> http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly1.jpg
> http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly2.jpg
> http://gyarados_rage.homestead.com/files/wildfly3.jpg
>
> ---
> Crosscut
> Monster Pretenders Robots are the single cutest Transformers of all
> time. Especially the super deformed Monstructor from the Victory
> commercial break things.
> ---

I've had that happen to the weapons on some of my regular pretenders.
--Scott Houston

M. Scott Houston

Jun 12, 2001, 1:49:39 AM6/12/01
It's not just the carded toys that this happens to. The two Monster
Pretenders that I own were loose when I got them and are pretty oily as
well.
--Scott Houston
Zobovor <zob...@aol.com> wrote in message

Dusty

Jun 12, 2001, 12:03:21 PM6/12/01

> > What I want to know is, *what* causes some of these Pretender Monster
> > shells to... decompose?

"Dee----COME----POOOOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZZE"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just got the Inhumanoids DVD. ;)

-Dusty

Robowang who tastes mighty good

Jun 12, 2001, 2:09:55 PM6/12/01
What's wrong with the oiliness? I thought that was always part of their
rubbery shell gimmick.
Robowang,
Most "Lovable Screwball of the Year", next to TrypticonX. Hey, I'm not
complaining.

Enter the House of 'Wang!
http://www.100megsfree2.com/robowang/houseofwang.html
"One time a mouse bit me." ~ e-Bay feedback given to me by Straxus

Prime Saber

Jun 13, 2001, 12:08:08 AM6/13/01
Jørgen Lid Widing wrote:

> I have the same probelm with the gold paint on my Dinoforce as well... But
> none of the shells are oily, but they have got a starge green-white color
> were it used to be gold paint at some places in the shells.

No sign of white on any of mine's gold paint, though there is a
slight greenish tint to my Yokuryu's now predominantly dull gold,
and a green outline where it meets the white surfaces of his wings.
The others' gold are simply dull, and also faded in Doryu's case.
Except for Yokuryu, they are only oily on the inside rubber surfaces.

Rapido

Jun 13, 2001, 11:03:59 AM6/13/01
Hrm, maybe it's something that happens with age. I'm guessing that they
really didn't expect anyone to store these in their attics & basements,
where the temperature can be at their extremes, for any extended length
of time. Or maybe the temperature has nothing to do with it...

> Well, at least I know to stay away from the carded Monster Pretenders and focus
> on opened toys...

When I can afford it and when the price it right (and of course when I
can find 'em) I'll gravitate towards the MOSC ones myself. It's just
easier and more convenient that way in terms of all their parts and
such. Of course that's not usually the case so when I can I'll pick a
loose piece/lot here and there - which results in duplicates. But I
really don't mind the 5 Wildfly's I have...

>=)

Jose Negron