BW Metals for PSX (and some other stuff) Q's

Derik Smith

Jul 14, 2002, 10:31:01 PM7/14/02
Okay, I played my way through the N64 version of this game. Good fun,
though I have to agree that it's pretty stinky. I beat the game with everyone,
got a thrill reading their epilogues, unlocked Ravage, Tigatron, Blackarachnia
and Starscream and beat the game with them, I really, really like Starscream's
epilogue... and, under the advice of my neghibor, I violently shook Pikachu
during the closing credits each time I beat Metals, sucessfully unlocking
Megatron X on my Hey You, Pikachu. Does anyone know how to make him playable
in the game? He has a neat backstory.

...which brings me to my, fairly simple, questions about the PSX version.

1) Which characters are playable on the PSX version?

2) Which characters are hidden?

3) Do these characters have text epilogues as on the N64 one? What's
Windrazor's? ;)

4) I hear there are movie sequences involved? Pre-rendered, or
hardware-rendered? Anything special?

5) Does PSX have the same skinswaps for the common characters?

Well, that's the end of my questions on the PSX version.

Hey Doug, if you're reading this... awhile back on a big thread about BW
recolors and variations in Japan, you mentioned an exclusive, or a prize TM
Megatron with wing accessories as Megatron X to promote the game. Know
anything more about that?

Fun alternate color modes- Primal and Rattrap are Predacons!
http://members.aol.com/regenesis0//n64preds.jpg

Is it possible to slice open a N64 ROM dump and look at the string resources
inside? I mean- I'd know what to do on a mac game, I'm just curious.

For the fun of it, here's the opening text of the N64 version.

The Transformers...
Robotic lifeforms from the distant planet of Cybertron. Two opposing factions
warred for eons, the Autobots and the Decepticons. They have since evolved to
become the Maximals and the Predacons.
Two groups of their forces crashed on an unknown planet, and the decicive
battle known as the Beast Wars would change the fate of the entire universe.
When the Maximals captured Megatron, the Predacon commander, it was believed
that the Beast Wars were over. The survivors of the war began their journey
back to Cybertron aboard an ancient Autobot escape ship.
As they traveled through time and space, Megatron suceeded in delivering a
message through transwarp, into the past. the message was recieved by Megatron
during a critical chapter in history, which is now destined to be rewritten...
The Beast Wars rage on!

Doctimus Prime wrote a FAQ for the N64 version. If includes all the
(unremarkable) character bios and stuff, but he paraphrased the epilogues, and
skipped some altogether since they go by too fast.
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/beast_wars_transmetals.txt

Since I'm being all neighborly, here's the end bios for everyone, which I
transcribed.

TERRORSAUR
Terrorsaur defeated both Predacons and Maximals in a decidive battle.
As a result, Megatron is dethroned, and Terrorsaur finally took over as the new
leader of the Predacon forces.
The Maximals are eventually beaten into submission, and the Predacons maintain
control.
However, Terrorsaur is too busy enjoying his leadership, and failed to devise a
plan to escape from the planet.
It was only a matter of time before the ice age froze all of the unwitting
Predacon forces.
"Yiiippe!"
Perhaps a hundred thousand years will teach Terrorsaur a thing or two about
leadership!

RATTRAP
The resourceful Maximal spy executed a daring and brilliant sneak attack
against the Predacons.
As a result of the explosive finale, Megatron was completely destroyed.
The Maximals were able then able to capture the remaining Predacons. With the
safety of the future assured, they returned to Cybertron aboard the ancient
Autobot escape shuttle.
Back on Cybertron, Rattrap could often be seen relaxing at the resturants, bars
and taverns, enjoying the newfound peace.
"Ahh... Ya know, we're all gonna di... dine!"

WASPINATOR
Waspinator was tired of doing the dirty work for Megatron, and was especially
tired of being scrapped every time.
So, Waspinator decided that he wouldn't take it anymore!
After scrapping just about every Transformer in his way, Waspinator finally
told Megatron: "Waspinator quits!"
The Beast Wars went on without Waspinator, and the maximals an predacons
eventually went back to Cybertron.
Wasptinator stayed ont he planet, where he played the role of a benevolent god
to a tribe of protohumans.
"Waspinator happy now!"

CHEETOR
When Optimus Primal was badly damaged during a decicive strike, Cheetor charged
into battle with unmatched fury.
The tide of the war was turned. The Maximals were eventually able to overpower
the Predacons and establish a general peace on the planet.
After the battle, Optimus Primal told Cheetor: "You showed a lot of potential
out there. Someday you might make one prime leader."
Cheetor replied: "Sorry Bogbot, but that's your department... But who knows?
Maybe in another universe!"

OPTIMUS PRIMAL
Optimus Primal launched a last decicive strike against the Predacons.
Following a hard-fought battle with tragic losses on both sides, the Maximals
managed to capture Megatron.
After securing Megatron to the outside of the Autobot escape shuttle, the
survivors of the Beast Wars headed back to Cybertron.
Unknown to Optimus Primal, Megatron had been planning for such a situation. As
Megatron's arm broke free from one of the Energon chains, he transmitted a
signal into the past, through transwarp...
Were the Beast Wars really over? Or had they only just begun?

TARNATULUS
After earning a stunning victory over both Maximals and Predacons, the
trechherous Tarantulus obtained what he needed in order to escape from the
planet.
The Beast Wars continued without him...
Tarantulus returned to Predacon space. As a member of the Predacon secret
police, he reported back to the Tripredicus Council about Megatron's
activities, and the incredible discoveries found on the planet.
Newly promoted, Tarantulus now commands a fleet of over a hundred transwarp
battle cruisers as they head for the planet...
"If the Beast Wars aren't over yet, they will be soon! Ha ha ha hee hee hee
hee!!"

AIRAZOR
Airazor played a critical role in the Maximal's eventual victory over the
Predacons.
When the last of the Predacons were captured, the Maximals prepared to leave
the planet and return to Cybertron aboard an ancient Autobot escape shuttle.
Airazor decided that she would prefer to stay on the planet with her spark-mate
Tigatron.
Together they watch the planet recover from the damage caused by the war...
They often thought of their comrades, and wondered if true peace could ever be
established between Maximals and Predacons.

MEGATRON
After a grueling battle, Megatron finally gained the upper hand against the
Maximals.
Knowing that the planet they were on was actually prehistoric Earth, he decided
that it was time to take the ultimate risk to secure the future of the
Decepticons and Predacons.
Megatron broke into the legendary Autobot battle cruiser, the Ark. Here, the
greatest Autobot and Decepticon warriors rested for millions of years.
Megatron destroys the Autobot commander, Optimus Prime, and ultimately changes
history.
When the ancient Transformers are awakened, the Great War begins. the Autobots
are at a loss without their leader, and the Decepticons easily conquor both
Earth and Cybertron.
However, in the year 2005, the greatest threat in the universe arrives...
Unicron.
Witht he Matrix believed to be destroyed along with Optimus Prime, can anything
stop Unicron...?

TIGATRON
Tigatron played a critical role in the Maximals eventual victory over the
Predacons.
Tigatron felt that his true place was with the nature of the planet. Despite
the urgings of his comrades to return to Cybertron, he decided to stay on the
planet.
He was not alone. Airrazor, who was also born of the planet, also decided to
stay. She accompanied Tigatron through the many centuries ahead.
They felt that someday they would go to Cybertron, as visitors from a distant
world almost forgotten...

BLACKARACHNIA
Blackarachnia is convinced by Silverbolt to join the Maximals.
She betrayed Megatron and defeated him during a decicive battle.
The addition of Blackarachnia to the Maximal cause is instrumental to the
battles to follow.
The Maximals eventually won the Beast Wars, and the survivors returned to
Cybertron.
Blackarachnia occasionally wondered how things would have turned out if she had
remained a Predacon.
Back on Cybertron, she decides to work as a double agent between the Maximals
and the Tripredicus council. Of course, she is never completely loyal to
either side.
"Whether I'm a Maximal or a Predacon, I'll always be a bad girl!"

RAVAGE
Ravage decided that it was time for him to fight for the Decepticon legacy once
again.
Ravage betrayed the Predacon Commander Megatron, then entered the ancient
Autobot battle cruiser, the Ark. Ravage then produced a prototype cloning
device based on transreplication technology.
This device would allow him to produce clones of the ancient Transformers,
complete with memories and personality functions intact.
One by one, he downloaded protoform cloning data of the legendary warriors...
Megatron, Skywarp, Starscream, Thundercracker, Reflector, Rumble, Frenzy,
Laserbeak, Buzzsaw... And of course, Soundwave...
Ravage returned to Predacon space. the moment was close at hand. Soon, he
would revive the Decepticon army to conquor the future... To conquor...
Forever!

STARSCREAM
As a result of the quantum surge, Starscream returned in a strange but powerful
new body.
Fearing that the Beast Wars would alter history against his liking, Starscream
set out to destroy any Maximal or Predacon that opposed him.
After achieving success in battle, Starscream entered the Ark, the ancient
Autobot battle cruiser in which his original body rested in stasis lock.
Starscream then infused himself with the power of his old body, the same way
the Predacon Commander Megatron and Optimus Primal increased their power.
The result was incredible...
Starscream had finally restored his real body, a goal that he had waited eons
to achieve!
Then Starscream took the long journey through transwarp back to Cybertron...
"Pathetic fools! I, Starscream have returned!"

Derik's thoughts on storyline:
Ah, just what BW/BM needed, MORE time shredding! Megatron breaks away from the
shuttle and, instead of escaping (or perhaps before escaping) sends a message
beck to himself shortly before the Season 1 finale. (Must be before, since
Starscream's ending mentions the Quantum Surge.) The Beast Wars play out
seasons 2 and 3 again, with a dozen seperate endings.
Very cool. As these are simple offshotot timelines, they can be completely
ignored in ain continuity.
Fun tidbits- yes, Starscream is 'supposed' to be ain a TM body, despite the
season 1 color scheme. terrorsaur's fun ending, Ravage's visciously evil one,
and of course Starscream. Yum.
Oh, and did Ravage's ending just give us an actual cannonical term for
Transformer reproduction? Transreplication? It cant' refer to cloning
because... then the sentence would make no sense. Cool!

-Derik
"You have zero talent. Give up writing." -Yuki Eiri
"In film you will find four basic storylines. Man versus man, man versus
nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire." - Steven Spielberg
I probably don't care what you think

Black Zarak

Jul 14, 2002, 10:46:08 PM7/14/02
Derik Smith wrote:

> Okay, I played my way through the N64 version of this game. Good fun,
> though I have to agree that it's pretty stinky. I beat the game with everyone,
> got a thrill reading their epilogues, unlocked Ravage, Tigatron, Blackarachnia
> and Starscream and beat the game with them, I really, really like Starscream's
> epilogue... and, under the advice of my neghibor, I violently shook Pikachu
> during the closing credits each time I beat Metals, sucessfully unlocking
> Megatron X on my Hey You, Pikachu. Does anyone know how to make him playable
> in the game? He has a neat backstory.
>
> ...which brings me to my, fairly simple, questions about the PSX version.
>
> 1) Which characters are playable on the PSX version?

Optimus Primal
Megatron
Tarantulas
Cheetor
Rampage
Silverbolt
Quickstrike
Rattrap

> 2) Which characters are hidden?

Blackarachnia (TM2)
Tigatron
Ravage
Windrazor

> 3) Do these characters have text epilogues as on the N64 one? What's
> Windrazor's? ;)

I haven't played it in ages, but from what I remember, all the Maximals have the
same ending and all the Preds have the same.

> 4) I hear there are movie sequences involved? Pre-rendered, or
> hardware-rendered? Anything special?

There are movie sequences. They seem to be identical to Mainframe's work. If not,
then it's darned good!

> 5) Does PSX have the same skinswaps for the common characters?

If you mean different colours for each character, then yes.

--
Black Zarak
za...@csolve.net

G1 TFs for Sale: http://us.geocities.com/saraiferia/tfsale.htm