How tall are Transformers REALLY?

David Willis

Jun 27, 2002, 7:26:35 PM6/27/02
That's the question Liquid Velcro! asked himself one fateful night. If
you take into account how long these vehicles are in real life, and
extrapolate the robot's height from there, just how tall are they?

So after finding lots and lots of vehicle lengths on the Net, and measuring
the relevant toys in both modes, we've found approximate heights
for a buncha transformers. There's a lot of weird stuff with many
Transformers -- for instance, he had to use Pretender Bumblebee
because the original's all super-deformed. Also, while we can assume
a Headmaster partner is about 6' feet tall, they certainly aren't
proportionate
to the vehicles they drive! (This is why Nightbeat and Minerva have
"corrected" measurements in addition to the plain old vanilla style.)

Also -- RiD Fort Max and his components was measured with the
assumption that Spychanger Scourge was in scale with him. If that
isn't cool for you, just throw those measurements out.

So here you go. A range of Transformers, as they would be in the
world of zero size-changing:

RID Fortress Maximus - 185'
G1 Silverbolt - 164'5"
Blastoff - 129'9"
G1 Fortress Maximus (6' Spike) - 63'
Powerglide - 63'
Windsheer - 49'
Megatron Megabolt - 48'5"
Emissary - 48'5"
G1 Ultra Magnus - 45'10"
Sludge (from dino height at legs) - 44'6"
Starscream/Skyraiders - 41'11"
RiD Skyfire - 41'2
G1 Optimus Prime - 32'8"
Sixliner (1/4 scale) - 27'
G1 Grimlock (from dino height at legs) - 25'9"
Nightbeat (6' Muzzle) - 28'10"/24' (corrected proportions)
Warpath - 24'
Laser Optimus Prime - 22'4"
Minerva (5' Minerva) - 24'/20' (corrected)
Brainstorm (6' Arcana) - 19'6"
Tailgate - 18'4"
Windcharger - 18'4"
RID Cerebros - 17'6"
G1 Cerebros (6' Spike) - 16'6"
G1 Skids - 16'3"
X-Brawn - 16'3"
Rage - 16'1"
Sunstreaker - 16'1"
Gobots - 15'9"
Pretender Bumblebee - 15'6"
Side Burn - 15'5"
RID Prowl - 14'4"
Jazz - 14'4
Skram - 14'2"
Firecracker - 13'10"
Bluestreak - 13'7"
Camshaft - 13'7"
G1 Sideswipe - 13'6"
Backstreet - 13'1"
Blowout - 12'10"
G2 Deluge - 12'
Wheeljack - 11'7"
Hound - 10'4"
Joe (1/4 scale) - 8'
Road Pig - 7'8"
Road Rocket - 5'10"

So there you have it.

The real reason why it was okay that the Decepticons were so vastly
outnumbered in the first season? THEY WERE THREE TIMES AS TALL.

--David
www.itswalky.com

Desperado00

Jun 27, 2002, 7:53:42 PM6/27/02
The tallest I know of is two feet. Most range anywhere between 3-4 inches up
to 7-8 inches. Some a little taller, but not many.
-----

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

An egotist is a self-made man who worships his creator.

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

No horse is too dead to beat.

Steve-o Stonebraker

Jun 27, 2002, 11:09:02 PM6/27/02
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:26:35 -0500, David Willis wrote:
> That's the question Liquid Velcro! asked himself one fateful night. If
> you take into account how long these vehicles are in real life, and
> extrapolate the robot's height from there, just how tall are they?

Hmm... so this assumes they are all the "correct" size in their altmodes,
right? (Except for the micro-combiners, I guess, since it says "1/4
scale" there.) Of course, they've never been potrayed as being the right
sizes in any fiction, but, who cares? I'm disappointed that you don't
have Seaspray on the list, though... Go re-read this thread of Rob
Powers': "The Biggest Pre-Movie TF: Seaspray!" Rob figures him to be over
a hundred feet tall, too.

> RID Fortress Maximus - 185'
> G1 Silverbolt - 164'5"
> Blastoff - 129'9"
> G1 Fortress Maximus (6' Spike) - 63'
> Powerglide - 63'

Heh... I love the idea of Powerglide being the same height as FortMax.
And, of course, Seaspray being even larger. Mwa ha ha. Rob also asked
about Astrotrain in his old post -- I guess his size would depend on if
you think he's shuttle sized, or train sized.

--Steve-o
Steve Stonebraker | Transformers FAQ Keeper | Astrophysicist
sst...@yahoo.com | www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~sstoneb | AOL IM: srstoneb

David Willis

Jun 28, 2002, 12:02:38 AM6/28/02
> Hmm... so this assumes they are all the "correct" size in their altmodes,
> right?

Right.

>(Except for the micro-combiners, I guess, since it says "1/4
> scale" there.)

The reason for that scale (1/48th, I think...) is that it puts them
at what LV considers to be standard Micromaster height. (8
feet tall.) No huge reason, just personal.

Of course, they've never been potrayed as being the right
> sizes in any fiction, but, who cares? I'm disappointed that you don't
> have Seaspray on the list, though... Go re-read this thread of Rob
> Powers': "The Biggest Pre-Movie TF: Seaspray!" Rob figures him to be over
> a hundred feet tall, too.

Someone suggested Seaspray, but LV doesn't have a real-life vehicle to
match it to yet. (He has just about EVERYONE else, though. I do mean
everyone...) We could perhaps extrapolate from the size of the doors
molded on him, but that would more time at a later date.

> Heh... I love the idea of Powerglide being the same height as FortMax.
> And, of course, Seaspray being even larger. Mwa ha ha. Rob also asked
> about Astrotrain in his old post -- I guess his size would depend on if
> you think he's shuttle sized, or train sized.

Then there's... Broadside. Hee hee hee...

I still love Blastoff, though.

--David
www.itswalky.com

Raptor

Jun 28, 2002, 12:16:16 AM6/28/02
::Throws RiD Fort Max measurements out::

No offense, it's just that the scene where Optimus divetackles Magnus out of
the way of Max's incoming foot indicates that Max is just way too small. I
also read somewhere that RiD Max (or at least Brave Max) is listed as being
350 meters tall, or over 6 times taller than your measurements would
indicate.

Does this make Cerebros/Plasma even bigger than the animation indicated?
Yes. He'd be 104 feet tall, or just a foot shorter than Rail Racer.

Again, why RiD is just as bad as G1 when it comes to scaling.

Raptor

"David Willis" <wii...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tut

Jun 28, 2002, 3:45:28 AM6/28/02
"David Willis" <wii...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<JbNS8.23449$Dn3....@dfw-read.news.verio.net>...
> That's the question Liquid Velcro! asked himself one fateful night. If
> you take into account how long these vehicles are in real life, and
> extrapolate the robot's height from there, just how tall are they?
>
> So after finding lots and lots of vehicle lengths on the Net, and measuring
> the relevant toys in both modes, we've found approximate heights
> for a buncha transformers.

Snipped the rest of your post, but it had a lot of thought to it.
At the risk of starting a really long, detailed thread, I'll mention
that an actual F-15 fighter jet is roughly thirty feet from nose to
exhausts; I dragged Daryn to an air show a couple of years ago and
climbed all over one, imagining it transform to robot mode. >;)
However, I took a different approach to answering the question of
how tall are the Transformers:

In one of the Japanese references for the Autobots, some artist was
nice enough to draw a size comparison for all the season 1 Autobots,
with Spike and Sparkplug standing next to Prime. They even scribbled
"2m" over Sparkplug's head, then "6m" next to Prime's. So I whipped
out my lucky calculator, scribbled out a ratio, and arrived at a grand
18 feet for Optimus Prime. I shrugged and added a couple of feet,
thinking there's no way he's _that_ short, but basically the cartoon
references say the Autobots range from 10 feet tall for Bumblebee,
18 to 20 for Prime. We can infer the relative heighth of the
Decepticons based on that.

That's how I figured it out, but somebody may come up with a
different answer. And as for how a thirty-foot jet can transform
to eighteen feet tall? >shrug< Subspace, it's worked as an answer
for years now...

Suddenly realizing how addicting responding to posts can get,

--Tut

Andrew Crane

Jul 2, 2002, 4:29:23 PM7/2/02

"Tut" <nebkh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> That's how I figured it out, but somebody may come up with a
> different answer. And as for how a thirty-foot jet can transform
> to eighteen feet tall? >shrug< Subspace, it's worked as an answer
> for years now...

Well, if Cybertronian technology can allow a robot roughly eighteen feet
tall (whatever that is in metres) can *shrink* into the size of a Walkman
or Walther P-38, I guess there's no reason why the Seekers can't *expand*
when they transform into their aircraft forms. :-) By the same token, I
reckon the Autobot cars shrink to some degree when transforming their into
vehicle modes.

Oh well, scale's always been a problem with Transformers, and no doubt
it'll always be that way. Unless Hasbro design a scale-accurate
Transformers line from the ground-up of course, but that's hardly likely.