BWTF Binaltech Swindle coverage

Nevermore

Dec 18, 2004, 12:08:50 PM12/18/04
http://www.bwtf.com/binaltech/swindle/

The usual BWTF care, of course, with all the stuff we love and enjoy,
including Doug's top-notch translations.
Only two points worth of mentioning:

1) "Lord Chumley". Though it's of course hard to say what the "correct"
spelling for an obscure cartoon character's name is, I'm a little
confused since Doug himself spelled him "Chumleigh" in the translation
of MP Convoy's booklet:
http://www.bwtf.com/masterpiece/convoy/booklet/
Oh, and "General Kreiger" should actually be spelled "Krieger", if I'm
not mistaken.

2) Ben doesn't seem to be aware of the original identity of Swindle's
head. Since he didn't seem to get any of my mails on various topics in
the past (possibly due to some overreacting spam filter, I don't know),
could someone who knows him point him towards Walky's old diagram?

http://www.itswalky.com/transformers/stuff/diagramforweirdos.jpg

Makes sense considering his body was originally designed for
Trailbreaker according to the system description.

--
The ultimate Binaltech/Alternators resource page
http://www.binalternators.de/

Doug Dlin

Dec 18, 2004, 1:15:57 PM12/18/04
On Dec. 18, 2004, Nevermore wrote:

> http://www.bwtf.com/binaltech/swindle/

Oh, good, he got that put up! There was some problem involving digital
camera malfunctions or some such that was holding up coverage.

> The usual BWTF care, of course, with all the stuff we love and enjoy,
> including Doug's top-notch translations.
> Only two points worth of mentioning:
>
> 1) "Lord Chumley". Though it's of course hard to say what the "correct"
> spelling for an obscure cartoon character's name is, I'm a little
> confused since Doug himself spelled him "Chumleigh" in the translation
> of MP Convoy's booklet:
> http://www.bwtf.com/masterpiece/convoy/booklet/

That was before I saw his name confirmed as "Chumley" from the original
scripts, I believe.

> Oh, and "General Kreiger" should actually be spelled "Krieger", if I'm
> not mistaken.

Hm...it's pronounced with an "ee," but I believe the actual toy's name
was spelled with an "ei," in defiance of standard Germanic pronunciation.

> 2) Ben doesn't seem to be aware of the original identity of Swindle's
> head. Since he didn't seem to get any of my mails on various topics in
> the past (possibly due to some overreacting spam filter, I don't know),
> could someone who knows him point him towards Walky's old diagram?
>
> http://www.itswalky.com/transformers/stuff/diagramforweirdos.jpg
>
> Makes sense considering his body was originally designed for
> Trailbreaker according to the system description.

Ben's been really busy in RL, so he probably missed those threads. I'll
see he gets word.

Thanks for posting comments!

Doug Dlin
apcog at hotmail.com

Nevermore

Dec 18, 2004, 2:08:49 PM12/18/04
Did you get to translate Grimlock's story chapter and bio yet? There
was one of those obscure references in chapter 7 that I failed to
identify so far despite having the original Katakana spelling confirmed
by someone who translated that chapter (not Fan to Fan this time), and
no-one else seems to have any clue either.
Unless it's taken from some *really* obscure source, the only thing
that comes close and has been pointed out by some people already has
never actually been referred to by name in the respective story, and
thus that reference would be somewhat useless in this case.
Additionally, the alleged Katakana spelling doesn't seem to exist *at
all* according to a Google search, including possible
misinterpretations of various Katakana characters.

On a sidenote, I didn't give the Lunar Colony the proper attention when
reading the translation from Fan to Fan. And I had sworn never to
underestimate Ichikawa again... Oh well. But then, that's what your
translations and notes are for. ;-)

BTW, are the "electro-cells" a nod to the devices of the same name from
the G1 season 2 episode "Traitor"?
And the "recharge facilities" refer to the "recharging chambers" from
"Attack of the Autobots, right?

Doug Dlin

Dec 18, 2004, 5:16:57 PM12/18/04
On Dec. 18, 2004, Nevermore wrote:

> Did you get to translate Grimlock's story chapter and bio yet?

Only just, as Ben just got me the scans this past week.

> There was one of those obscure references in chapter 7 that I failed to
> identify so far despite having the original Katakana spelling confirmed
> by someone who translated that chapter (not Fan to Fan this time), and
> no-one else seems to have any clue either.

I believe I know what you mean, and I'll be responding in the
appropriate thread soon.

> Additionally, the alleged Katakana spelling doesn't seem to exist *at
> all* according to a Google search, including possible
> misinterpretations of various Katakana characters.

If I'd translated it into kana, I would've spelled it with a vowel
extender rather than a doubled consonant in the middle, but perhaps it's
a matter of personal taste.

> On a sidenote, I didn't give the Lunar Colony the proper attention when
> reading the translation from Fan to Fan. And I had sworn never to
> underestimate Ichikawa again... Oh well. But then, that's what your
> translations and notes are for. ;-)

I try to remain useful...

> BTW, are the "electro-cells" a nod to the devices of the same name from
> the G1 season 2 episode "Traitor"?

I hadn't even considered it, since I didn't remember them mentioned. I
suppose it's possible.

> And the "recharge facilities" refer to the "recharging chambers" from
> "Attack of the Autobots, right?

Possibly. I don't recall the events of the episode enough to remember
if those chambers were specifically recharging their electro-cells or not.

Nevermore

Dec 18, 2004, 5:37:42 PM12/18/04
Doug Dlin wrote:

> I believe I know what you mean, and I'll be responding in the
> appropriate thread soon.

Clarification on that matter would be highly appreciated.

> Possibly. I don't recall the events of the episode enough to
remember
> if those chambers were specifically recharging their electro-cells or
not.

The "Electro-Cells" from "Traitor" are those newly-developed doohickeys
the Decepticons are after, as usual. To quote from the Cybertron
Chronicle: "Just as a pair of scientists glory in their new and unique
electro-cells, capable of producing enough power permanently to solve
the Earth's energy problems".

It's not unlikely the Autobots later decided to use these Electro-Cells
as their new primary power sources.

I do hope, however, you were able to identify the "exponential
generator". As Thylacine2000 from 2005 Boards originally pointed out,
that was Dr. Arkeville's invention from "Countdown to Extinction",
which quickly got turned into a doomsday device by Starscream in said
episode. That's also the reason why it now needs to be "stabilized and
output-reduced for practical use". To quote Thylacine2000: "Poor
Swindle.... always having bombs built into his head...."

I'm telling you, the Binaltech background bits are turning more and
more into a scavenger hunt. I didn't have that much fun since
JLA/Avengers. :-)

Doug Dlin

Dec 18, 2004, 6:58:06 PM12/18/04
On Dec. 18, 2004, Nevermore wrote:

> Doug Dlin wrote:
>
>>I believe I know what you mean, and I'll be responding in the
>>appropriate thread soon.
>
> Clarification on that matter would be highly appreciated.

See my comments in that thread. Oh, wait, you already have. :-)

>> Possibly. I don't recall the events of the episode enough to
>> remember if those chambers were specifically recharging their
>> electro-cells or not.
>
> The "Electro-Cells" from "Traitor" are those newly-developed doohickeys
> the Decepticons are after, as usual. To quote from the Cybertron
> Chronicle: "Just as a pair of scientists glory in their new and unique
> electro-cells, capable of producing enough power permanently to solve
> the Earth's energy problems".

In that case, the electro-cells mentioned in the BT story are
undoubtedly a reference to those. Ichikawa-san's comments about the
confluence of the BT and G1 storylines should help support this.

> It's not unlikely the Autobots later decided to use these Electro-Cells
> as their new primary power sources.

Agreed.

> I do hope, however, you were able to identify the "exponential
> generator".

Oh, easily. That stood out in my memory far more prominently. I
actually exclaimed in surprise when I first read that text, astonished
he'd have the Decepticons resort to such potentially self-destructive
technology, but he allowed for that aspect.

> I'm telling you, the Binaltech background bits are turning more and
> more into a scavenger hunt. I didn't have that much fun since
> JLA/Avengers. :-)

As long as you're having fun... :-)

Doug Dlin

Dec 18, 2004, 11:18:51 PM12/18/04
On Dec. 18, 2004, I wrote:

> On Dec. 18, 2004, Nevermore wrote:

>> Oh, and "General Kreiger" should actually be spelled "Krieger", if I'm
>> not mistaken.
>
> Hm...it's pronounced with an "ee," but I believe the actual toy's name
> was spelled with an "ei," in defiance of standard Germanic pronunciation.

And to confirm it, here's a scan of his file card:
http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/95/genblitz.shtml

But yes, to achieve the whole "blitzkrieg" pun properly, it SHOULD have
been spelled "Krieger."

Nevermore

Dec 19, 2004, 11:48:45 AM12/19/04
Doug Dlin wrote:

> On Dec. 18, 2004, I wrote:
> And to confirm it, here's a scan of his file card:
> http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/95/genblitz.shtml
>
> But yes, to achieve the whole "blitzkrieg" pun properly, it SHOULD
have
> been spelled "Krieger."

Well, that's not the first time Americans get "ie" and "ei" in German
words and names mixed up... Bloopers such as "meine Leibling" (which is
even the wrong gender) are hardly an unusual sight. Oh well.