Botcon '98 Exclusive

Goldbug15

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

I believe this is another secret again.
Well considering past Botcons I think this one will be another BW recolor.
I would have liked possibly a whole different exclusive not a recolor. It's too
bad Hasbro wouldn't make a REAL exclusive for once. I'm just sick of recolored
BW. Maybe this time they will make an Arcee but that's just hopeful wishing.

Robert A. Jung

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

In article <19971205031...@ladder01.news.aol.com> gold...@aol.com (Goldbug15) writes:
>I believe this is another secret again.
>Well considering past Botcons I think this one will be another BW recolor.
>I would have liked possibly a whole different exclusive not a recolor. It's
>too bad Hasbro wouldn't make a REAL exclusive for once.

They can't. There's no way to fiscally justify the thousands of dollars
that need to be spent to design and make an all-new toy for a convention that
will sell (at most) a thousand units. It'd be much cheaper for Hasbro to give
each fan a $20 bill as they cheked in instead, for instance. B-) Hence the
repaints -- they're the only way a convention can get an exclusive without
sending Hasbro's accountants screaming for the hills.

--R.J.
B-)

"I write because I am personally amused by what I do, and if other people are
amused by it, then it's fine. If they're not, then that's also fine."
Send mail to rj...@netcom.com --Frank Zappa
------- Visit Rob on the web! ------ http://www.digiserve.com/eescape/ -------

Grrrlgoyle

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Robert A. Jung wrote:

> In article <19971205031...@ladder01.news.aol.com> gold...@aol.com (Goldbug15) writes:
> >I believe this is another secret again.
> >Well considering past Botcons I think this one will be another BW recolor.
> >I would have liked possibly a whole different exclusive not a recolor. It's
> >too bad Hasbro wouldn't make a REAL exclusive for once.
>
> They can't. There's no way to fiscally justify the thousands of dollars
> that need to be spent to design and make an all-new toy for a convention that
> will sell (at most) a thousand units. It'd be much cheaper for Hasbro to give
> each fan a $20 bill as they cheked in instead, for instance. B-) Hence the
> repaints -- they're the only way a convention can get an exclusive without
> sending Hasbro's accountants screaming for the hills.

Well, since we are probably stuck with a repaint and they won't give us
Shadowpanther how about a black Inferno? Or a shiny Transmetal Disco Inferno! <G>

~~~~Grrrlgoyle
+ der...@ccnet.com +
+ G++ FR FW-- M- #87 D++ ADA N+++ W B+++ OQP BC97- BC98++ MU- +
+ Seer/scribe of "The Snoozing Kumquat Tree" +
+ *See the Megatron that Dan Khanna made for me at +
+ http://members.aol.com/epicgame/transformerart4index.html +

Phil Poole

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Grrrlgoyle (der...@ccnet.com) wrote:
: Robert A. Jung wrote:
:
: Well, since we are probably stuck with a repaint and they won't give us

: Shadowpanther how about a black Inferno? Or a shiny Transmetal Disco Inferno! <G>

Hmm...Now that's a TF Recolor I would actually purchase regardless
of where BotCon is held.

Think of it...."Disco Inferno" with NEW blinding reflective
capabilities.

Or better yet...how about a "Disco Ball" Retrax.

--
Phil Poole | Unix Systems Administrator
po...@ncifcrf.gov | Frederick Biomedical SuperComputing Center

David Willis

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

>I believe this is another secret again.
>Well considering past Botcons I think this one will be another BW recolor.
>I would have liked possibly a whole different exclusive not a recolor. It's
too
>bad Hasbro wouldn't make a REAL exclusive for once. I'm just sick of
recolored
>BW. Maybe this time they will make an Arcee but that's just hopeful
wishing.

I think I speak for many people (Dreadwing, at least:) when I say
this:

PLUSH RATTRAP!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!

--David Willis
aka TMWalky
"My fellow Americans. I've signed legislation that will outlaw
Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
--Ronald Reagan, unaware the radio had already started to broadcast.
***
"Good work, Nightbeat, but perhaps cutting it a tad close?" --Siren
"Isn't that what makes it all worthwhile?" --Nightbeat

Rayden10

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Then what about that die-cast Actionmaster Arcee that they were going to sell
at Transcon 2 (What did ever happen to that?)

Rayd...@aol.com

Rodimus Prime

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

gold...@aol.com (Goldbug15) wrote:

> I believe this is another secret again.
> Well considering past Botcons I think this one will be another BW recolor.
> I would have liked possibly a whole different exclusive not a recolor. It's
> too bad Hasbro wouldn't make a REAL exclusive for once. I'm just sick of
> recolored BW. Maybe this time they will make an Arcee but that's just hopeful
> wishing.

It's really expensive for a company to produce a limited run of toys for
something on the scale of a convention exclusive. (My economics class at
work.) Sure, it's less product, but there are fixed costs involved in
producing the toys, so in order to break even, they have to be priced
really high to make up for the small numbers. (Check the $35 price tag on
the BC97 exclusives.) It's a LOT cheaper for them to reproduce BW molds
with different colors than it would be to create a whole new mold just
for the convention. And if they had to charge $35 for BW repaints, just
imagine how much a totally new toy would cost! I'd love to see an Arcee
toy or a redone articulated Rodimus, but I don't know if I could afford a
$100+ price tag even if I wanted to. :) I think it's great that Hasbro
has been willing to produce the toys that they have.

Megatron33

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

>I think I speak for many people (Dreadwing, at least:) when I say
>this:
>
>PLUSH RATTRAP!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I also speak for many people but instead of Rattrap they
want....................... A PLUSH BLACK ARACHNIA.Please note that i am not
the only one wanting this but i am the one with the guts to say this. Or at
least thats what they told me for some reason.

Megat...@aol.com
"Unyielding fury and rage have no LIVING opposition."
A proud supporter of Raksha and the Decepticon Cause
RIGHT OF MIGHT!!!!!!!

Robert A. Jung

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Three words: Beast Wars Beanies. B-)

Grrrlgoyle

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Robert A. Jung wrote:

> Three words: Beast Wars Beanies. B-)

Hmmm....silly but I would buy them. Especially if they made them plush!

A tea party would be fun....
"Plush Rattie meet plush Quickstrike Tail."
<hostess turns away>
<turns back> "Tail, would you like some cookies? Oh, I see, you are full.
Now where did Rattie go?"

~~~~Grrrlgoyle
+ der...@ccnet.com +

+ G++ FR FW-- M- #93 D++ ADA N+++ W B+++ OQP BC97- BC98++ MU- +

Dinobot

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997 04:47:36 GMT, rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung)
wrote:

> Three words: Beast Wars Beanies. B-)

I rather repaint Prowl actionsmasters into Bluestreaks...
Dinobot has spoken.

My rigid grill structure is bearing in on your unproteched cargo door- Tom Servo Riding with Death

Mop-Boy

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

On 6 Dec 1997 00:28:03 GMT, megat...@aol.com (Megatron33) wrote:

>I also speak for many people but instead of Rattrap they
>want....................... A PLUSH BLACK ARACHNIA.Please note that i am not
>the only one wanting this but i am the one with the guts to say this. Or at
>least thats what they told me for some reason.

Yes!!! Bring us Blackarachnia and her many arms!!!!!
Mop-Boy

One man's angel is another man's alien.
__
_/. |
/_ |
_____________________________| |_____________________________
I ||\\//|| ||==|| ||==\\ \ / ||=>> ||==|| \\ // I
I || || || || ||==// \ == / ||=\\ || || \\// I
I || || ||==|| || \ / ||=// ||==|| || I
I__________________________\/__________________________I
Drunken Czar of "The Flying Banana Tree"
/||\
MMMM
Cobra Commander: "Any last words Snake Eyes??"
Snake Eyes: " "
Cobra Commander: "Your words move me."

Doug Kern

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

In article <669fvo$ep...@ncisun1-nf0.ncifcrf.gov>, po...@ncifcrf.gov (Phil
Poole) wrote:

> Grrrlgoyle (der...@ccnet.com) wrote:
> : Robert A. Jung wrote:
> :
> : Well, since we are probably stuck with a repaint and they won't give us
> : Shadowpanther how about a black Inferno? Or a shiny Transmetal Disco
Inferno! <G>

> Hmm...Now that's a TF Recolor I would actually purchase regardless
> of where BotCon is held.
>
> Think of it...."Disco Inferno" with NEW blinding reflective
> capabilities.

Well they have to also include a white leisure suit for him then! And
make sure it has bell bottoms! I am sure Hasbro just has a whole warehouse
of male doll's cloths from the 70's they could use:)

--
Doug Kern
AKA Monocle

KamuiDemon

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

I dunno about you guys, but an ant in a polyester liesure suit just plain
scares the hell outta me. (BTW, its me, RavagePuma)

Ravag...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/RavagePuma/index.html

"Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?"

The Overlord

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Dinobot wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Dec 1997 04:47:36 GMT, rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung)
> wrote:
>
> > Three words: Beast Wars Beanies. B-)

I will not speak of such vile things

> I rather repaint Prowl actionsmasters into Bluestreaks...
> Dinobot has spoken.

It has already been done. There is a knock-off, that has a ActionMaster
Bluestreak, with a AM Prime trailor.

Jeremy
I am THE Overlord

Charlotte Brogden

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

On 6 Dec 1997 00:28:03 GMT, megat...@aol.com (Megatron33) wrote:

>I also speak for many people but instead of Rattrap they
>want....................... A PLUSH BLACK ARACHNIA.Please note that i am not
>the only one wanting this but i am the one with the guts to say this.

At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)
. /
((()) . /--, / ****CHARLOTTE BROGDEN****
(((())) <') =< cbrogden[NO SPAM]@s054.aone.net.au
))6.6(( \__/ \
((( v ))) //\ BEACH BABY, RESEARCHER,
))) (((\ // POSTGRAD STUDENT AND AUSTRANS FAN!
/(() ()))\//Find Transformers Fanfic by title and author at:
//))) ((('\/ http://www.home.aone.net.au/charl/charl.htm
//(((^^^))) |\ /|
// ))^^^(( \\\///
// (('\^^)\ \\//
' )) '\^^^'\_/^/ "Sunfish" on DALnet #transformers
( '\^^^~^/ Remove [NO SPAM] to e-mail me
'~~~'

Megatron33

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

>At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)

GREAT IDEA, should have kept your mouty closed Charlotte ;-)
a blow-up BlackArachnia would go great with the plush BA and a BA poster too!

Rayden10

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <348a892f...@news.syd.aone.net.au>, cbro...@s054.aone.net.au
(Charlotte Brogden) writes:

>At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)

Better yet how about a falll apart Waspinator

FYP19

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

i have an idea!!! --- Sing and Snore Starscream!

FRANK J GROSS JR

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

STOP YOUR COMPLANING TRANSCON DIDNT HAVE ONE.BE GLAD HASBRO IS NICE
ENOUGH TO GIVE US ONE.

( UNTIL ALL ARE ONE )

Robert A. Jung

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <348a892f...@news.syd.aone.net.au> cbro...@s054.aone.net.au (Charlotte Brogden) writes:
>On 6 Dec 1997 00:28:03 GMT, megat...@aol.com (Megatron33) wrote:
>>I also speak for many people but instead of Rattrap they
>>want....................... A PLUSH BLACK ARACHNIA.
>
>At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)

*Phbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt!*

(Sound of Robert spraying Coca-Cola across his computer monitor. Ick...)

Eric Lee Cline

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

In article <19971207203...@ladder02.news.aol.com> fy...@aol.com
(FYP19) writes:
> i have an idea!!! --- Sing and Snore Starscream!

Wouldn't that be a Scream and Whine Starscream?

Eric Lee Cline, Defender of the Colony! http://sac.uky.edu/~elclin0
Creator of the SW RPG Transformers crossover, Fanfic Author
G+++ FW+ M #98 D++ ADA N+++ W++ B++++ OQ++ BC#- MUBW2- OM+ P161
"Everything is worth something, even me." - Scavenger
Razorclaw and Braincase on BW2!

Break 39

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

>>At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)
>
>GREAT IDEA, should have kept your mouty closed Charlotte ;-)
>a blow-up BlackArachnia would go great with the plush BA and a BA poster too!

Then what? The Blackarachnia clean-up rag?

-If Optimus Prime had a CB, he'd call "Break 39"

Ari X

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Robert A. Jung wrote:

> In article <348a892f...@news.syd.aone.net.au> cbro...@s054.aone.net.au (Charlotte Brogden) writes:
> >On 6 Dec 1997 00:28:03 GMT, megat...@aol.com (Megatron33) wrote:
> >>I also speak for many people but instead of Rattrap they
> >>want....................... A PLUSH BLACK ARACHNIA.
> >
> >At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)
>
> *Phbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt!*
>
> (Sound of Robert spraying Coca-Cola across his computer monitor. Ick...)
>
> --R.J.
> B-)

hey, it least it wasn't the sound of you blowing up the inflatible BA
you already made yourself out of tinfoil and bits of twine....
--
~Ar...@aol.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8076/arix.htm
****************

Lewis M. Brooks, III

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

How about an exploding Waspinator!

Lewis

Lewis M. Brooks, III

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

In article <66fcp9$bk3$1...@newsd-112.bryant.webtv.net>, frank...@webtv.net (FRANK J GROSS JR) writes:
> STOP YOUR COMPLANING TRANSCON DIDNT HAVE ONE.BE GLAD HASBRO IS NICE
> ENOUGH TO GIVE US ONE.

Maybe the Hartmans could get an exclusive like the Botcon Japan exclusive from
Takara? I'd love to have an Optimus Prime like that.

Lewis

msi...@ibm.net

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Goldbug15 wrote:

> I believe this is another secret again.

I'm betting it's not finalized just yet.

> Well considering past Botcons I think this one will be another BW recolor.

No offense, but *durhey*.

> I would have liked possibly a whole different exclusive not a recolor. It's too
> bad Hasbro wouldn't make a REAL exclusive for once. I'm just sick of recolored
> BW. Maybe this time they will make an Arcee but that's just hopeful wishing.

Not bloody likely.

Y'see, it costs a LOT of time and money to create a new toy mold. And
for an event the size of BotCon, there's no way in hell one could move
enuogh individual toys to cover costs so the accountant's won't spaz
out.

Let's look at the Convention Exclusive numbers, shall we?

BC'97 - 600 Packrats, 570 Fractyls due to factory error, for a grand
total of 1170 units. And don't forget 600 boxes and comics, which drives
the cost up (for the Hartmans, who I assume has to buy every one toy
produced, which I believe is standard as of BC'96).
BC'96 - 1500 Onyx Primals, 300 "Dealer Exclusive" Primals.
BC'95 - 294 Nightracers
BC'94 - 298 G2 Breakdowns

Even at 1800 units, that's not NEARLY enough to justify the cost of a
new mold.

So we get repaints.

M "It's Not Like Hasbro HAS To Offer Us Exclusives In The First Place"
Sipher

Picard42

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Megatron33 wrote:

> >At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)
>
> GREAT IDEA, should have kept your mouty closed Charlotte ;-)
> a blow-up BlackArachnia would go great with the plush BA and a BA poster too!
>
> Megat...@aol.com

Yes, order now and get the BA Swimsuit Issue absolutely free!!!
Operators are standing by!

Picard42
G+++ FW+ M D+++ AA++ N+++ W+ B+++ OQP BC97++ OM+ P276

"You're no match for ME! BURN, traitor, BURN!!!!" - Inferno
"No way! Two can play!" - Blaster
"Leaking lubricants!" - Ironhide
"You're a leaking lubricant!" - Peter Cullen, Botcon 97
"And trust me --- it takes me a *lot* less time to polish my
purple-headed
pole than it took me to polish that piece of purple pontification." -
Bob Forward

Rayden10

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <1997Dec...@rhea.bentley.edu>, BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu (Lewis
M. Brooks, III) writes:

>How about an exploding Waspinator!

Only problem is that you can only make it really explode once. Btw why didn't
anyone answer my question about how at Transcon2 the exclusive was to be a new
Action Master Arcee, when talking about how expencive new molds are (btw2 what
ever happened to this and does anyone have any pictures of it?). Anyway my idea
is to sell either of two things: something in the vein of Botcon Japan's
exclusive because more than one character had to be made or a decent BW figure
repaint?

Rayd...@aol.com
Still thinking of a witty sig.....:^)

>Lewis

Accualt

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

>>At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)
>
> *Phbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt!*
>
> (Sound of Robert spraying Coca-Cola across his computer monitor. Ick...)
>
> --R.J.
> B-)

Ooooh see I thought you just couldn't spell the sound of your ziper...I gotta
ya.
Course which would you rather have...Airazor or Blackarachnia?

---
Accualt
"::Terrosaur pulls a flaming alien anal probe out of his butt:: I hate being
dead."
"::Accualt sits around:: Yeah me too buddy...me too..."

Robert A. Jung

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <1997Dec...@rhea.bentley.edu> BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu (Lewis M. Brooks, III) writes:
>Maybe the Hartmans could get an exclusive like the Botcon Japan exclusive
>from Takara?

Depends on if Hasbro/Kenner/Takara have any unreleased-but-sitting-in-a-
warehouse-for-several-years toys they can dig up (as was the case for the
Galvatron figures from BotCon Japan this year).

Doug Dlin

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

On Dec. 8, 1997, Robert A. Jung wrote:

> In article <1997Dec...@rhea.bentley.edu>
> BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu (Lewis M. Brooks, III) writes:
>> Maybe the Hartmans could get an exclusive like the Botcon Japan
>> exclusive from Takara?
>
> Depends on if Hasbro/Kenner/Takara have any unreleased-but-sitting-in-
> a-warehouse-for-several-years toys they can dig up (as was the case
> for the Galvatron figures from BotCon Japan this year).

And bear in mind that, at its lowest per-person cost, the BCJ exclusive
went for about SEVENTY DOLLARS. I seem to recall numerous complaints
about the extra costs we had for BC96. Sure, most felt in retrospect
that the extra costs were worth it, but how many here would be willing
to shell out that much more for a con exclusive--on top of attendance
fees, hotel costs, travel expenses, food, other toy buying, etc.?

Doug Dlin
ap...@hotmail.com

Grrrlgoyle

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Accualt wrote:

> >>At least no one has asked for a blow-up Blackarachnia... ;-)
> >
> > *Phbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt!*
> >
> > (Sound of Robert spraying Coca-Cola across his computer monitor. Ick...)
> >
> > --R.J.
> > B-)
>
> Ooooh see I thought you just couldn't spell the sound of your ziper...I gotta
> ya.
> Course which would you rather have...Airazor or Blackarachnia?
>
> ---
> Accualt

Hmmm....Airazor? Wouldn't that be like sleeping with a bird?

~~~~Grrrlgoyle (I'm not PUGHEAD, just quoting him <g>)

Picard42

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Grrrlgoyle wrote:

> > > *Phbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt!*
> > >
> > > (Sound of Robert spraying Coca-Cola across his computer monitor. Ick...)
> > >
> > > --R.J.
> > > B-)
> >
> > Ooooh see I thought you just couldn't spell the sound of your ziper...I gotta
> > ya.
> > Course which would you rather have...Airazor or Blackarachnia?
> >
> > ---
> > Accualt
>
> Hmmm....Airazor? Wouldn't that be like sleeping with a bird?
>
> ~~~~Grrrlgoyle (I'm not PUGHEAD, just quoting him <g>)

No, you got it wrong, it's:

IZ SLEAPING WYTH AERAZER LYKE SLEAPING WYTH A BURD?

Get it right. :)

David Willis

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

>> Hmmm....Airazor? Wouldn't that be like sleeping with a bird?
>>
>> ~~~~Grrrlgoyle (I'm not PUGHEAD, just quoting him <g>)
>
>No, you got it wrong, it's:
>
>IZ SLEAPING WYTH AERAZER LYKE SLEAPING WYTH A BURD?
>
>Get it right. :)

No, Picard, *you* get it right. ;)

And I quote,

IS SLEEPING WITH AIRAZOR LIKE SLEEPING WITH A BIRD IF YOU KNOW

--David Willis
aka TMWalky
"My fellow Americans. I've signed legislation that will outlaw
Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
--Ronald Reagan, unaware the radio had already started to broadcast.
***
"Good work, Nightbeat, but perhaps cutting it a tad close?" --Siren
"Isn't that what makes it all worthwhile?" --Nightbeat

Rayden10

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

In article <348CEB...@hotmail.nospam.com>, Doug Dlin
<ap...@hotmail.nospam.com> writes:

>And bear in mind that, at its lowest per-person cost, the BCJ exclusive
>went
>for about SEVENTY DOLLARS. I seem to recall numerous complaints
>about the
>extra costs we had for BC96. Sure, most felt in retrospect
>that the extra
>costs were worth it, but how many here would be willing
>to shell out that
>much more for a con exclusive--on top of attendance
>fees, hotel costs, travel
>expenses, food, other toy buying, etc.?

I think one way to solve this is that if the exclusive is in the vein of (i.e.
big and a lot of money) the Botcon Japan one, I think a way to make people
aware of the amount of money they should bring, the Hartmans should release how
much the exclusive will be but not what it will be.

Rayd...@aol.com
Still thinking of a witty sig.....;^)

>Doug Dlin
>ap...@hotmail.com

Doug Dlin

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97
I disagree. I can just see numerous posters, despite general faith in
the Hartmans, questioning the worth of an unidentified exclusive with a
high price tag. And even if they agreed that the price offered was fair
for the production cost, would they be willing to pay it?

Doug "Devil's Advocate" Dlin
ap...@hotmail.com

A.Patyk

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

I don't know about the rest of you, but some silly inflatable gimmick
of a BW guy is not what I'd want to pay money for. Look at it this:
the Botcon exclusive may be our only chance for a cool G1 character
re-do or something, why squander it on stuff that's either A) stupid
or B) available in stores (BW)?

A rare Action Master or something might be cool (the Bluestreak
repaint of Prowl sounds like a DAMN good idea to me)...anyone have any
(serious) thoughts?

Picard42

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

David Willis wrote:

> >> Hmmm....Airazor? Wouldn't that be like sleeping with a bird?
> >>
> >> ~~~~Grrrlgoyle (I'm not PUGHEAD, just quoting him <g>)
> >
> >No, you got it wrong, it's:
> >
> >IZ SLEAPING WYTH AERAZER LYKE SLEAPING WYTH A BURD?
> >
> >Get it right. :)
>
> No, Picard, *you* get it right. ;)
>
> And I quote,
>
> IS SLEEPING WITH AIRAZOR LIKE SLEEPING WITH A BIRD IF YOU KNOW
>
> --David Willis
> aka TMWalky

Now wait, I distinctly remember him spelling things wrong.

Accualt

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

>No, Picard, *you* get it right. ;)
>
>And I quote,
>
>IS SLEEPING WITH AIRAZOR LIKE SLEEPING WITH A BIRD IF YOU KNOW

NO NO NO! It's...
Is sleeping with Airazor a healthy habit for ATTers? For the answer we turn to
Dr. Ruth.
Dr. Ruth: Thank you Accualt and I must say that everyone should explore there
own sexuality even with blow up birds....blah blah SEX...blah blah blah
NACKED....blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Break 39

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

>how many here would be willing
>to shell out that much more for a con exclusive--on top of attendance
>fees, hotel costs, travel expenses, food, other toy buying, etc.?

Oh, yeah. I completely forgot about food in my planning! Whoops.

Lewis M. Brooks, III

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

> M "It's Not Like Hasbro HAS To Offer Us Exclusives In The First Place"
> Sipher

Who says Hasbro has to make the exclusive? Perhaps Takara could make somehting
similar to the BCJ Galvatron. Perhaps an Optimus Prime. Just an idea.

Lewis

Lewis M. Brooks, III

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

In article <rjungEK...@netcom.com>, rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung) writes:
> In article <1997Dec...@rhea.bentley.edu> BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu (Lewis M. Brooks, III) writes:
>>Maybe the Hartmans could get an exclusive like the Botcon Japan exclusive
>>from Takara?
>
> Depends on if Hasbro/Kenner/Takara have any unreleased-but-sitting-in-a-
> warehouse-for-several-years toys they can dig up (as was the case for the
> Galvatron figures from BotCon Japan this year).

The Galvatron was not a new toy? I was not aware of that. Well, in that case,
the odds are they wouldn't make a new toy. Oh well...

Lewis

Caleb Yuen

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

Lewis M. Brooks, III wrote:

> The Galvatron was not a new toy? I was not aware of that. Well, in that case,
> the odds are they wouldn't make a new toy. Oh well...
>
> Lewis

The BC exclusives were NEVER all-new. Onyx Primal, Nightracer, PackRat, Fractyl, were
repaints of Battimus Primal, GoBot BumbleBee, RatTrap, and TerrorSaur.

Caleb

"Name: CheeseCutter
Func: Decepticon Waste Disposal
Transformation: Garbage Truck
Quote: 'It's a dirty job..but I'VE got to do it.' "

Liquid Velcro!

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

Lewis M. Brooks, III wrote:
> Who says Hasbro has to make the exclusive? Perhaps Takara could make somehting
> similar to the BCJ Galvatron. Perhaps an Optimus Prime. Just an idea.

Only, you see, HasKen has the rights to release Transformers in the US.
Not Takara. It'd probably invalidate their agreement, of something, or
at the very least aggrieve HasKen.

--
-Liquid Velcro!
(liquid...@hotmail.com) Biology by the sword!

msi...@ibm.net

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

Lewis M. Brooks, III wrote:

> In article <rjungEK...@netcom.com>, rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung) writes:
> > In article <1997Dec...@rhea.bentley.edu> BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu (Lewis M. Brooks, III) writes:
> >>Maybe the Hartmans could get an exclusive like the Botcon Japan exclusive
> >>from Takara?
> >
> > Depends on if Hasbro/Kenner/Takara have any unreleased-but-sitting-in-a-
> > warehouse-for-several-years toys they can dig up (as was the case for the
> > Galvatron figures from BotCon Japan this year).
>
> The Galvatron was not a new toy? I was not aware of that.

Nup. The SHBM Galvatron was actually planned to be released in Japan
back in the "2010" series (our post-movie episodes). There were also
plans for Rodimus and Arcee SHBMs, but I don't know if anything more
than the box art happened with those...

M "I Swear, Arcee Has GOT To Get A Proper Toy At Some Point..." Sipher

msi...@ibm.net

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

Rayden10 wrote:

> In article <1997Dec...@rhea.bentley.edu>, BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu (Lewis

> M. Brooks, III) writes:
>
> >How about an exploding Waspinator!
>
> Only problem is that you can only make it really explode once.

Not really. Thanks to the wonderful ball-n-socket construction of most
BW, any BW can suffer extensive battle damage with easy repair!

> Btw why didn't
> anyone answer my question about how at Transcon2 the exclusive was to be a new
> Action Master Arcee, when talking about how expencive new molds are (btw2 what
> ever happened to this and does anyone have any pictures of it?).

Simple. Kenner wasn't making it. Somebody working for Men In Black was,
and they only had what appeared to be a clay prototype. (Which, as far
as I could tell, also lacked AM-level posability.) And somehow I doubt
Kenner's gonna be granting MiB a whole lotta rights to make TF
figures...

> Anyway my idea
> is to sell either of two things: something in the vein of Botcon Japan's
> exclusive because more than one character had to be made or a decent BW figure
> repaint?

The only feasable solution I could see to offering a big, expensive
exclusive would be to ALSO offer a smaller, cheaper exclusive as well,
and make them BOTH readily available to all attendees (with
pre-registrants obviously getting them first).

> Rayd...@aol.com
> Still thinking of a witty sig.....:^)

I dunno. That one works.

M "Home Of The Wandering .Sig" Sipher

Doug Dlin

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

On Dec. 10, 1997, Rayden10 wrote:

> In article <348E02...@hotmail.nospam.com>, Doug Dlin
> Good point, I hadn't thought about that, however what if the say this
> item will cost $$$ and will be a BW/MW/G1/Ect/ and will be Small/Med/
> large/really, really big?

Again, it depends on what people are willing to pay, especially on top
of all the other expenses of getting to/from and staying at the con.

It also depends on what the Hartmans can afford to pay up front to even
have the exclusive created. Where do you think the money came from for
last year's exclusive? Not from us. We paid the Hartmans and Glen
AFTER they had already had to shell out to have the things made.

So you see, production costs are another factor, and another reason
repaints are the exclusives of choice. I can tell you from my own
employer's experience that altering the color on a mold costs nothing.
Actual production can be pricey, especially for low runs. Doing the
tooling for a NEW mold--THAT's expensive.

Doug Dlin
ap...@hotmail.com

Rayden10

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

>I disagree. I can just see numerous posters, despite general faith in
>the
>Hartmans, questioning the worth of an unidentified exclusive with a
>high
>price tag. And even if they agreed that the price offered was fair
>for the
>production cost, would they be willing to pay it?

Good point, I hadn't thought about that, however what if the say this item will
cost $$$ and will be a BW/MW/G1/Ect/ and will be Small/Med/large/really, really

big/

Rayd...@aol.com

The_Great_Cornholio

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

Lewis M. Brooks, III (BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu) wrote:
: > Depends on if Hasbro/Kenner/Takara have any unreleased-but-sitting-in-a-

: > warehouse-for-several-years toys they can dig up (as was the case for the
: > Galvatron figures from BotCon Japan this year).
:

: The Galvatron was not a new toy? I was not aware of that. Well, in that case,

: the odds are they wouldn't make a new toy. Oh well...

What I would like to see happen if some sort of fan-made exclusive. Not
necessarily one TransFan sitting at home making them (although it is
possible). But, getting some garage resin company to produce something like
the Hot Rod model kit for example. It wouldn't have to have the high unit
cost everyone is predicting, and the limited run would be ideal.

--
Thank you, I'm Beavis, goodnight.

Robert A. Jung

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

In article <1997Dec1...@rhea.bentley.edu> BROO...@rhea.bentley.edu (Lewis M. Brooks, III) writes:
>>M "It's Not Like Hasbro HAS To Offer Us Exclusives In The First Place"
>>Sipher
>
>Who says Hasbro has to make the exclusive?

Well, they DO own the rights to the Transformers name and identifying
symbols...

>Perhaps Takara could make somehting similar to the BCJ Galvatron.

Perhaps. That's assuming that (1) the Hasbro-Takara relationship doesn't
have any sort of "regional exclusivity" clauses, (2) you can find someone at
Takara to make exclusives for you, and (3) the cost of shipping said
exclusives from Japan to America doesn't jack up the exclusives' prices even
further...

Tengu

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

In article <348F3E...@ibm.net>, msi...@ibm.net says...

> Lewis M. Brooks, III wrote:
> > The Galvatron was not a new toy? I was not aware of that.
>
> Nup. The SHBM Galvatron was actually planned to be released in Japan
> back in the "2010" series (our post-movie episodes). There were also
> plans for Rodimus and Arcee SHBMs, but I don't know if anything more
> than the box art happened with those...

I remember reading something about the Arcee SHBM in a newsletter
Tony Preto handed me at BC96. Apparently, some of these figs found their
way out onto the market, and were going for upwards of $800 bucks or
something at the Japanese "Super Festival." A little steep for what
basically amounts to a TF 'Applause' doll.

Tengu:<>

(I fervently believe that an Arcee toy should be on the "top five" list
of *any* vehicle TF line...)

jhar...@noblecan.org

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

In article <348CAE...@ibm.net>,
msi...@ibm.net wrote:

> Goldbug15 wrote:
>
> > I believe this is another secret again.
>
> I'm betting it's not finalized just yet.

Actually, we already know what it is. We're just deciding on paint
schemes and packaging designs. (Neener, neener, nee-ner! :) )

> > I would have liked possibly a whole different exclusive not a recolor. It's
too
> > bad Hasbro wouldn't make a REAL exclusive for once. I'm just sick of
recolored
> > BW. Maybe this time they will make an Arcee but that's just hopeful wishing.
>
> Not bloody likely.
>
> Y'see, it costs a LOT of time and money to create a new toy mold. And
> for an event the size of BotCon, there's no way in hell one could move
> enuogh individual toys to cover costs so the accountant's won't spaz
> out.
>
> Let's look at the Convention Exclusive numbers, shall we?
>
> BC'97 - 600 Packrats, 570 Fractyls due to factory error, for a grand
> total of 1170 units. And don't forget 600 boxes and comics, which drives
> the cost up

Actually, we had to print 1000 boxes and comics. Minimum print runs, you
know...

> Even at 1800 units, that's not NEARLY enough to justify the cost of a
> new mold.
>
> So we get repaints.

Exactly. I'd like to elaborate on this by giving some hard numbers. To
develop a new toy instead of recoloring an existing one would take about
two years (for conceiving, designing, prototyping, tooling, safety
testing, manufacturing, and distributing) and cost about $150,000 to
$200,000 (half for tooling costs and the rest for the costs incurred by
the previously-mentioned stages). Additionally, an ideal production
number for a specialty product (i.e., recolored toy) would be 50,000
pieces. Based on that, a run of 600 or even 2000 pieces for BotCon is
less than miniscule for them. (Hasbro could scrap that many pieces of a
regular toy in just a few hours of production time.) At least 50,000
pieces need to be produced to justify the cost of the toy.

If we work the numbers, a unique basic Beast Wars toy could be made for
BotCon 2000, if started right now, and would cost about $400,000 for a
minimum run ($4 x 50,000 + $200,000). That means 10,000 people would
each have to guarantee paying $40 for a toy in a plastic bag with no
package or tech spec. Somehow I don't see that happening.

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but them's the facts, folks. A
non-recolor BotCon exclusive won't happen *at all* unless someone becomes
a *very* generous donor, *and* Hasbro agrees to it. In the meantime,
your choices are: a) a recolored Beast Wars toy; or b) nothing.
Personally, I'll take the recolor.

Jon
--
BotCon '98 -- "Unleash the Beast!"

http://www.noblecan.org/~jhartman/tf/tf.html <-- BotCon goes west!

G++ FW- M #A445 #E51 #J23 D+++ AA+ N++ W++ B+++ OQP
BC94++++ BC95++ BC96++ BC97++++ BC98++++ MU- OM+ P?

Rayden10

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

In article <348F5F...@ibm.net>, msi...@ibm.net writes:

>> Btw why didn't
>> anyone answer my question about how at Transcon2 the
>>exclusive was to be a new
>>Action Master Arcee, when talking about how
>>expencive new molds are (btw2 what
>> ever happened to this and does anyone
>>have any pictures of it?).

>Simple. Kenner wasn't making it. Somebody working
>for Men In Black was,
>and they only had what appeared to be a clay prototype.
>(Which, as far
>as I could tell, also lacked AM-level posability.) And somehow
>I doubt
>Kenner's gonna be granting MiB a whole lotta rights to make
>TF
>figures...

Thanks for telling me this because I thought it was just some left over AM mold
leftover

>> Anyway my idea
>> is to sell either of two things: something
>>in the vein of Botcon Japan's
>> exclusive because more than one character
>>had to be made or a decent BW figure
>> repaint?

>The only feasable solution I
>could see to offering a big, expensive
>exclusive would be to ALSO offer a
>smaller, cheaper exclusive as well,
>and make them BOTH readily available to
>all attendees (with
>pre-registrants obviously getting them first)

that's a good idea, but how about they decide on one character like Arcee so
then they make a BCJ verison of her then they make a smaller verison of her.

Rayd...@aol.com
Yes, I'm still think of a witty sig.......;^)
Who thinks Has/Ken should make Transformers: Retro line with never made before
Transformers i.e. Arcee and Unicron.

The_Great_Cornholio

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

jhar...@noblecan.org wrote:
: Exactly. I'd like to elaborate on this by giving some hard numbers. To
[good stuff snipped]

Jon gives us a good view into how things are being done at Hasbro :
however there has been a big trend toward limited run action figures
recently. Pick up Toyfare or Action Figure News and the whole thing is
littered with limited run figures. Now, how they do this, I dunno, I suppose
they make cheaper molds or something, but they are doing it. (some figures
are limited to 5000 pieces). I don't think we could get a Jetfire made, but
some kind of Action Master, you betcha.

Now, I don't know the economics of these limited figures, but most of them
are under $20, and they're a lot bigger than an Action Master. I think the
problem here is that Hasbro isn't a company that makes the limited run figs.

|Burt Ward Skyflight@TF:TLY http://www.wvinter.net/~beavis/tf/ |
|*G+++ FR+ FW- M++(2) #(105) D++ AD+ N+++ | Bah Weep Granna [Y] Beavis@ |
| W++ B+ OQP BC96-98+ MUTLY++ OM+ P(272) | Weep ni ni bong \|/ cris.com|
|Transformers! More than you can buy. Transformers! Prices are sky high! |
|Autobots rose in value so now you have no money to.. buy Decepticons! |

Rayden10

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

In article <66pu4t$t...@examiner.concentric.net>, Bea...@cris.com
(The_Great_Cornholio) writes:

>jhar...@noblecan.org wrote:
>: Exactly. I'd like to elaborate on this by
>giving some hard numbers. To
>[good stuff snipped]

>Jon gives us a good view
>into how things are being done at Hasbro :
>however there has been a big trend
>toward limited run action figures
>recently. Pick up Toyfare or Action Figure
>News and the whole thing is
>littered with limited run figures. Now, how they
>do this, I dunno, I suppose
>they make cheaper molds or something, but they
>are doing it. (some figures
>are limited to 5000 pieces). I don't think we
>could get a Jetfire made, but
>some kind of Action Master, you betcha.

If you want the truth most of these "exclusive" are recolors (i.e. hangar 18's
"exclusives") or re-paints with something added on (Neogenesis', and Toy Fare's
exclusive figures are these) also for example let's take Hanger 18 Warrior Nun
Areala exclusive (it has silver cloths instead of black ones), simply it is a
repaint
of a figure which has already had three verisons (regular, gold, holy white).

>Now, I
>don't know the economics of these limited figures, but most of them
>are under
>$20, and they're a lot bigger than an Action Master. I think the
>problem here
>is that Hasbro isn't a company that makes the limited run
>figs.

What makes these so cheap is that they are just repaints of figures which have
already been released, and they only have 5 or 6 point of articulation.

Rayd...@aol.com
Still thinking of a witty sig....;^)
Who also thinks that by 2005 we still won't have a decent Arcee and Unicron

>/--------------------------------------------------------------------------\
>|Burt
>Ward Skyflight@TF:TLY http://www.wvinter.net/~beavis/tf/
>|
>|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>|*G+++
>FR+ FW- M++(2) #(105) D++ AD+ N+++ | Bah Weep Granna [Y] Beavis@ |
>| W++
>B+ OQP BC96-98+ MUTLY++ OM+ P(272) | Weep ni ni bong \|/
>cris.com|
>|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>|Transformers!
>More than you can buy. Transformers! Prices are sky high! |

>|Autobots rosein value so now you have no money to.. buy Decepticons!
>|
>\--------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Picard42

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

jhar...@noblecan.org wrote:

> If we work the numbers, a unique basic Beast Wars toy could be made for
> BotCon 2000, if started right now, and would cost about $400,000 for a
> minimum run ($4 x 50,000 + $200,000). That means 10,000 people would
> each have to guarantee paying $40 for a toy in a plastic bag with no
> package or tech spec. Somehow I don't see that happening.
>
> Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but them's the facts, folks. A
> non-recolor BotCon exclusive won't happen *at all* unless someone becomes
> a *very* generous donor, *and* Hasbro agrees to it. In the meantime,
> your choices are: a) a recolored Beast Wars toy; or b) nothing.
> Personally, I'll take the recolor.
>
> Jon
> --
> BotCon '98 -- "Unleash the Beast!"

That gives me an idea. Would it ever be possible for Hasbro to give us
a repaint, but have the repaint released at Botcon maybe a few months
before the original version comes out in stores? That would give us a
lot more incentive to buy them. Maybe for example, for Botcon 99, a
repaint of one of their Fall 99 figures. Would they be willing to do
that?

Goldbug15

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

<<If we work the numbers, a unique basic Beast Wars toy could be made for
BotCon 2000, if started right now, and would cost about $400,000 for a
minimum run ($4 x 50,000 + $200,000). That means 10,000 people would
each have to guarantee paying $40 for a toy in a plastic bag with no
package or tech spec. Somehow I don't see that happening.>>

If it was an Arcee I bet they would!

Tengu

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

In article <19971213074...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
gold...@aol.com says...

It could be a walking, talking *super* Arcee and I doubt *10,000*
people would make a $40.00 commitment in advance. One of us will have to
win the lottery to make that kind of TF dream come true. (I've always
promised myself that I'd work up *the* BotCon proposal if I ever won the
lottery. :)

Tengu:<>

D Manshoon

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

Hmmm.....at Transcon 2 I happened to over hear someone say something about a
pure Black Inferno or a Clear Inferno as well as a Pure Black Scorponok or a
Clear Scorponok. It could just we wishful thinking, but I hope we get some
Delux guys ;)

Robert A. Jung

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

In article <66pu4t$t...@examiner.concentric.net> Bea...@cris.com (The_Great_Cornholio) writes:
>jhar...@noblecan.org wrote:
>> Exactly. I'd like to elaborate on this by giving some hard numbers. To
>[good stuff snipped]
>
>Jon gives us a good view into how things are being done at Hasbro :
>however there has been a big trend toward limited run action figures
>recently. Pick up Toyfare or Action Figure News and the whole thing is
>littered with limited run figures. Now, how they do this, I dunno, I suppose
>they make cheaper molds or something, but they are doing it.

One word: Repaints.

My guess, anyway. Perhaps there are also minor mold changes to existing
figures, but I'll bet that those limited-run figures aren't fresh-from-the-
cloth, built-from-ground-up affairs.

Tengu

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

In article <34914A79...@psu.edu>, Mmr...@psu.edu says...

> That gives me an idea. Would it ever be possible for Hasbro to give us
> a repaint, but have the repaint released at Botcon maybe a few months
> before the original version comes out in stores? That would give us a
> lot more incentive to buy them. Maybe for example, for Botcon 99, a
> repaint of one of their Fall 99 figures. Would they be willing to do
> that?

This is a really cool idea, though from my knowledge of how the
"system" works it isn't very likely. First off, Kenner usually offers
exclusives based on whatever's easiest for them to produce. I believe 3H
had a small array of choices for BC97, including Terrorsaur, Rattrap, and
Razorbeast (they made damned good choices, if you ask me). Kenner
chooses figures like these because they are already tooled and in general
production- it's then easier for them to adapt paint schemes and plastics
for a limited run.
To offer a not-yet-produced exclusive, Kenner would have to ignore
the normal process of seeing what's "easiest" to adapt from pieces
currently in production. There's also the possibility that they might
have concerns based on character integrity. If character X was being
introduced in a "season 3" episode of Beast Wars, Kenner might not want
another character with the same mold weakening the introduction of said
character.
I kind of like the possibilities that some repaints offer. Look
at Fractyl, for instance. IMHO, he's ten times cooler than Terrorsaur or
Lazorbeak...

Tengu:<>

Christopher J Stankiewicz

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

jhar...@noblecan.org wrote:

: Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but them's the facts, folks. A

: non-recolor BotCon exclusive won't happen *at all* unless someone becomes
: a *very* generous donor, *and* Hasbro agrees to it. In the meantime,
: your choices are: a) a recolored Beast Wars toy; or b) nothing.

I think the real question here is not why only recolors, but why must it
be a BEAST WARS recolor? Is it even possible to make a recolor of a
previously released toy, like say that Action Master Bluestreak that some
have hoped for? Or are the older molds inaccessible?

I think I need to voice my opinion in this matter, since I, for one, will
never buy a Beast Wars BotCon exclusive. And I know I'm not alone. Not
that I don't like Beast Wars - I just don't like them THAT MUCH to justify
spending that much money for a BW recolor. Remember, most of us are into
the original series more than BW, at least as far as the toys are
concerned.

C.J., wouldn't mind a MW Optimus recolored like Rodimus, now THAT I'd pay
$40 for.

/ C.J. Stankiewicz \ "Do it with style or / #### ****
\ Orlando, FL, USA, Earth \ don't bother doing \ ## **
/ cjs6...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu \ it." -Jazz, Autobot / ## * **
\ http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~cjs69930 \ *The Transformers* \ #### *****

SCHMOOVE34

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

oh yeah that would be cool ...like how about a recolored black metal predaking?
i'll buy that for a dollar!!
schmo...@aol.com

The_Great_Cornholio

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

Christopher J Stankiewicz (cjs6...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu) wrote:
: I think the real question here is not why only recolors, but why must it

: be a BEAST WARS recolor? Is it even possible to make a recolor of a
: previously released toy, like say that Action Master Bluestreak that some
: have hoped for? Or are the older molds inaccessible?

Thanks for bringing this up Chris, I was just thinking the same thing. The
reason we can't get some older mold toys is that they are no longer being
produced. In order to run some toys off the molds, they would have to be
reinstalled on the line and possibly workers trained to deal with them, and
so on. Hasbro is not a small operation, they are used to cranking out tens
of thousands of one toy, not a few hundred or even a few thousand. In every
case, the BotCon exclusives were recolours of toys being currently produced.
Even Breakdown was (and I am not 100% sure here Jon, can you verify this?)
on the line, they just did not run more than a few hundred toys. (IE, they
were going to release the toys, but G2 was canceled before the did.)

The only exception has been the BotCon Japan exclusive Galvatron. Perhaps
Fumihiko ccould shed some light on the exact details (Doug, you know
anything about the process or could find out?) And these things weren't
cheap ($70 minimum).

However, it would reduce the costs considerably to use an older mold and not
have to make a new one. I'm sure we could get a slightly retooled action
master or something like that, but it would probably still cost just as much
as the exclusive this year, give or take packaging.

: C.J., wouldn't mind a MW Optimus recolored like Rodimus, now THAT I'd pay
: $40 for.

Except you'd be paying probably over a hundred bucks for that toy. We might
see some slightly retooled G1, G2 or MW figure at some point, but just being
technically possible doesn't mean Hasbro will do it, even if they had the
money up front.

|Burt Ward Skyflight@TF:TLY http://www.wvinter.net/~beavis/tf/ |
|*G+++ FR+ FW- M++(2) #(105) D++ AD+ N+++ | Bah Weep Granna [Y] Beavis@ |
| W++ B+ OQP BC96-98+ MUTLY++ OM+ P(272) | Weep ni ni bong \|/ cris.com|
|Transformers! More than you can buy. Transformers! Prices are sky high! |

|Autobots rose in value so now you have no money to.. buy Decepticons! |

The_Great_Cornholio

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

Robert A. Jung (rj...@netcom.com) wrote:
: One word: Repaints.

:
: My guess, anyway. Perhaps there are also minor mold changes to existing
: figures, but I'll bet that those limited-run figures aren't fresh-from-the-
: cloth, built-from-ground-up affairs.

Well, some of them are redecos, to be sure. However, most of them require
re-tooling as well, and that's fine for something like an exclusive action
master. Even a minor re-tool and redeco can produce a unique figure.
Then there are things like B'omarr Monk from Kenner that are sold directly
to the hoby market and don't even go through the toy stores. (I don't know
the quantity made, but I figure it has to be less than normal.)

Bottom line IMHO : a small exclusive that is a minor retool of an old G1
mold (Say BumbleBee Action Master into Bumper) is not impossible. I think it
could be done for something like the same price as the two-pack. The only
problems are A.) would enough people pay $40 for an action master and B.)
would Hasbro go to all the effort of doing it?

Rayden10

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

In article <671d2d$s...@examiner.concentric.net>, Bea...@cris.com
(The_Great_Cornholio) writes:

>Bottom line IMHO : a small exclusive that is a minor retool of an old G1
>mold
>(Say BumbleBee Action Master into Bumper) is not impossible. I think it
>could
>be done for something like the same price as the two-pack. The only
>problems
>are A.) would enough people pay $40 for an action master and B.)
>would Hasbro
>go to all the effort of doing it?

To answer A: Maybe, but only if it was Arcee, Unicron or a super moveable
Rodimus
Prime. To B: No Hasbro is way to cheap to do so.

However I don't see why Hasbro doesn't do a mail in offer like they did with
the orignal Transformers but have a G1/BW cross over where you use points from
Beast Wars Toys to get mail away G1 toy, hopefully Arcee. Then by doing this
Hasbro introduces G1 to the kids, then Has/Ken could make a Transformers:Retro
Line with Arcee, Unicron, Megatron, Shockwave, Optimus Prime, and others thus
mixing new molds of characters who people want, with mold of old characters who
people want.

Rayd...@aol.com
Who thinks that byreading this I think anyone can figure out one of my favorite
characters.

Who also thinks that by 2005 there still won't be a decent Arcee

TransMetal MegaBee

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

Christopher J Stankiewicz <cjs6...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu> wrote:
> jhar...@noblecan.org wrote:

> : Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but them's the facts, folks. A
> : non-recolor BotCon exclusive won't happen *at all* unless someone becomes
> : a *very* generous donor, *and* Hasbro agrees to it. In the meantime,
> : your choices are: a) a recolored Beast Wars toy; or b) nothing.

> I think the real question here is not why only recolors, but why must it

> be a BEAST WARS recolor? Is it even possible to make a recolor of a
> previously released toy, like say that Action Master Bluestreak that some
> have hoped for? Or are the older molds inaccessible?

I know that at least _some_ of the G1 molds were destroyed and/or lost.

> I think I need to voice my opinion in this matter, since I, for one, will
> never buy a Beast Wars BotCon exclusive. And I know I'm not alone. Not
> that I don't like Beast Wars - I just don't like them THAT MUCH to justify
> spending that much money for a BW recolor. Remember, most of us are into
> the original series more than BW, at least as far as the toys are
> concerned.

You presume much with this statement. The G1 toys hold a lot of
sentimental value for me, and there's a lot of imagination I've got
invested in them, but the Beast Wars toys have them beat for sheer
playability. I'm even willing to go so far as to say that there are quite
a few folks around here who agree with me.

> C.J., wouldn't mind a MW Optimus recolored like Rodimus, now THAT I'd pay
> $40 for.

MW Optimus itself cost $20+. Were it the exclusive, I guarantee you that
you'd be paying significantly more than $40 for it....
----
H. Jameel al Khafiz, Physicist-At-Large
"Fool! Pain is my friend! Allow me to introduce _you_ to it!"
"You're no for match me! Burn, traitor, burn!" --mighty Inferno
The Happy Fun Page --> http://www.dhp.com/~spectre

The_Great_Cornholio

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

Rayden10 (rayd...@aol.com) wrote:
: However I don't see why Hasbro doesn't do a mail in offer like they did with

: the orignal Transformers but have a G1/BW cross over where you use points from
: Beast Wars Toys to get mail away G1 toy, hopefully Arcee. Then by doing this
: Hasbro introduces G1 to the kids, then Has/Ken could make a Transformers:Retro
: Line with Arcee, Unicron, Megatron, Shockwave, Optimus Prime, and others thus
: mixing new molds of characters who people want, with mold of old characters who
: people want.

Because it would cost the same to produce as a regular toy, and they'd get
even less return on it. Remember, every single mail-away offer was for toys
that Hasbro had lying around for some reason. The Omni-bots, Powerdasher
and Refelctor were all old stock from either Takara or someone else. All the
other mail-ins were for some minor change (Pepsi Promo Prime) or left over
old stock toys. Why bother producing a whole new mold, when A.) You won't
get your money back from the sale (since it's a robot point thing) and B.)
The whole point of a mail-in promotion is to advertise the toys you DO sell.

I think one thing that TransFans are going to have to face up to : We do not
constitute a significant percentage of the market. I'm speaking here of most
of the people I've known on the group and other places like MUSHes. Say,
age 20 or higher who liked the G1 stuff, and are still interested in the
concept. We are a tiny tiny fraction of the toy buying market, not nearly
enough for Hasbro to worry about. Frankly, I have to give them credit for
what they DO offer us : an exclusive toy every year, sending in a group to
talk to us sometimes, giving their official OK for it, stuff like the
Unicron prototype. There are a zillion companies out there who wouldn't do
that much.

D Manshoon

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

:::Remembers the 1st BotCon G2Breakdown ex.:::

Now that was sweet =)

Tengu

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

In article <6715jn$fkd$1...@news.cc.ucf.edu>, cjs6...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu
says...

> I think the real question here is not why only recolors, but why must it
> be a BEAST WARS recolor? Is it even possible to make a recolor of a
> previously released toy, like say that Action Master Bluestreak that some
> have hoped for? Or are the older molds inaccessible?

It wouldn't matter if the prospective "old mold" still existed or
not. The reason Kenner can allow exclusives is that they are relatively
*easy* for the company to produce. Beast Wars redecos are offered
because Beast Wars toys are *currently* in production. While it's not so
difficult to switch paints and plastics on a certain run off of one mold,
it's *very* difficult to set up production for a toy that otherwise isn't
being churned out.

Tengu:<>

Unicron2K5

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

//> : Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but them's the facts, folks. A

> : non-recolor BotCon exclusive won't happen *at all* unless someone becomes
> : a *very* generous donor, *and* Hasbro agrees to it. In the meantime,
> : your choices are: a) a recolored Beast Wars toy; or b) nothing.

> I think the real question here is not why only recolors, but why must it
> be a BEAST WARS recolor? //

I'd reason that it works out to a>the ease of using a mold that is still in or
in recent production and once again, b> business smarts- a recolored Beast Wars
figures promotes BEAST WARS, a CURRENT money-maker. So that way everyone wins,
except those who want $100+ repaints of the unposable bricks that made up a
good portion of G1, even the Japanese side of it:) (*hearty laugh* at the
thought of ANY Japan only toy as an exclusive- they're either too big,
(Overlord et al), part of a team (Dinocons), or just kind of wimpy (Browning)
compared to say Fracty)

<-------------->
Malin Huffman
unicr...@aol.com
Visit Malin.Net at http://members.aol.com/unicron2k5/
"Just no figurin' a female!" : "A fact of life, Fuzor!"
Quickstrike and Tarantulas, <Tangled Web>

Doug Dlin

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

On Dec. 14, 1997, The_Great_Cornholio wrote:

> The reason we can't get some older mold toys is that they are no
> longer being produced. In order to run some toys off the molds, they
> would have to be reinstalled on the line and possibly workers trained
> to deal with them, and so on. Hasbro is not a small operation, they
> are used to cranking out tens of thousands of one toy, not a few
> hundred or even a few thousand. In every case, the BotCon exclusives
> were recolours of toys being currently produced. Even Breakdown was
> (and I am not 100% sure here Jon, can you verify this?) on the line,
> they just did not run more than a few hundred toys. (IE, they were
> going to release the toys, but G2 was canceled before the did.)
>
> The only exception has been the BotCon Japan exclusive Galvatron.
> Perhaps Fumihiko ccould shed some light on the exact details (Doug,
> you know anything about the process or could find out?) And these
> things weren't cheap ($70 minimum).

Well, I can give you this much, copied straight off the BC Japan web
site:

This "Super Highbred Model" was originally planned for
release in 1987 by Takara, with the purpose of trying to
make figures modeled with every detail, color, and style
element of the TV designs by excluding the gimmick of
transformation. A few prototypes were made for examination
at that time, but for some reason, perhaps due to the
difficulty and expense of manufacturing, they were
cancelled. But thanks to Takara, we succeeded in making
a mold from this prototype and releasing the figures
exclusively for Botcon Japan.

A special "Plasma bath" version was also released for
preregistrants. Limited to a run of 100 and colored in
semi-transparent orange, this version was inspired from
the very first scene of Galvatron in the TV series, in
which he arises from a lava pit.

I'll also note that current mail-order prices for the exclusive (regular
edition only) are $100 for one, plus $80 for each additional figure per
order. Somehow, if an exclusive costing that much were made here, I
doubt U.S. Transfans would buy enough of it to make it worthwhile.

Doug Dlin
ap...@hotmail.com

Rayden10

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

In article <671ul5$8...@examiner.concentric.net>, Bea...@cris.com
(The_Great_Cornholio) writes:

>Because it would cost the same to produce as a regular toy, and they'd
>get
>even less return on it. Remember, every single mail-away offer was for
>toys
>that Hasbro had lying around for some reason. The Omni-bots,
>Powerdasher
>and Refelctor were all old stock from either Takara or someone
>else. All the
>other mail-ins were for some minor change (Pepsi Promo Prime)
>or left over
>old stock toys. Why bother producing a whole new mold, when A.)
>You won't
>get your money back from the sale (since it's a robot point thing)
>and B.)
>The whole point of a mail-in promotion is to advertise the toys you
>DO sell.

Good point however I never kenw that the mail-away were "leftovers", and I
always assumed that they were new molds. Also then if they couldn't do a Robot
Points deal then do a $$$ thing were you have to send in money + shipping i.e
the Star Wars internet exclusive but make it in a small amount and only
advertise it to those who would buy it i.e. put the offer in AFTN, Tomart's and
Toy Fare, then put it up on www.beastwars.com, so that way people who want it
can get it. (I know this isn't possible because of the money factors but a guy
can wish can't he)

>I think one thing that TransFans are going to have to face up to :
>We do not
>constitute a significant percentage of the market. I'm speaking
>here of most
>of the people I've known on the group and other places like
>MUSHes. Say,
>age 20 or higher who liked the G1 stuff, and are still
>interested in the
>concept. We are a tiny tiny fraction of the toy buying
>market, not nearly
>enough for Hasbro to worry about. Frankly, I have to give
>them credit for
>what they DO offer us : an exclusive toy every year, sending
>in a group to
>talk to us sometimes, giving their official OK for it, stuff
>like the
>Unicron prototype. There are a zillion companies out there who
>wouldn't do
>that much.

Yea you're right about all that, and we are lucky, and yes we do need to relize
that we are a tiny fraction of the market however we do have to be important to
them for Has/Ken to send people to Botcons.

Rayd...@aol.com
Who think we still won't have a Arcee or Unicron by 2005

Tengu

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

In article <34951D...@hotmail.nospam.com>, ap...@hotmail.nospam.com
says...

> I'll also note that current mail-order prices for the exclusive (regular
> edition only) are $100 for one, plus $80 for each additional figure per
> order. Somehow, if an exclusive costing that much were made here, I
> doubt U.S. Transfans would buy enough of it to make it worthwhile.

An excellent point. Let's not forget than the BotCon:Japan
exclusive is a low-articulation, hollow *vinyl* figure. It doesn't have
many moving parts and it certainly doesn't transform. Throw together a
re-molded, *transforming* exclusive and you could be running con-goers
into the $150.00 range, per item...

Tengu:<>

Jonah Rapp

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97
> I'll also note that current mail-order prices for the exclusive (regular
> edition only) are $100 for one, plus $80 for each additional figure per
> order. Somehow, if an exclusive costing that much were made here, I
> doubt U.S. Transfans would buy enough of it to make it worthwhile.

Not to mention, having gone to BotCon Japan, it wasn't that good.
Especially when held up against the other Takara resin model kits:
Arcee, Elita-One, and Hot Rod (got 'em all!). Personally, I'd love to
see Takara continue the model kit line, with such additions as
Shockwave, Starscream (with optional open cluster bomb racks), and the
cartoon Skyfire. Now THOSE would make good exclusives! (For the record,
the three existing kits are $30-$35 each, if you can find 'em.)

Til All Are One...
--Starduster

Liquid Velcro!

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

FYP19 wrote:
> i have another idea! - Pull 'N Pow Cyberjets!

Sounds like Cyberjets that skeet-shoot.

--
-Liquid Velcro!
(liquid...@hotmail.com) Firecon supremacy!

FYP19

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

i have another idea! - Pull 'N Pow Cyberjets!

Cyberjets with a pull string; that when pulled, will blow up into hundreds of
plastic pieces after 10 seconds! That should get rid of all the leftover
cyberjets.

Accualt

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

>However I don't see why Hasbro doesn't do a mail in offer like they did with
>the orignal Transformers but have a G1/BW cross over where you use points
>from
>Beast Wars Toys to get mail away G1 toy, hopefully Arcee. Then by doing this
>Hasbro introduces G1 to the kids, then Has/Ken could make a
>Transformers:Retro
>Line with Arcee, Unicron, Megatron, Shockwave, Optimus Prime, and others thus
>mixing new molds of characters
<snip>

I have kept all but my first 4 bar codes for just that cause!

---
Accualt
"::Terrosaur pulls a flaming alien anal probe out of his butt:: I hate being
dead."
"::Accualt sits around:: Yeah me too buddy...me too..."

Vila Warner

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

Hello all. I am back for a limited time only, and do not intend to stay
for too long, but I felt it neccesary to voicemy opinion on this matter.
Why don't we try to get Has/Ken to look into the BW Japanese exclusives
for BoCon or send-aways. That way, they don't have to spend any extra
money on re-painting a toy, or worry about losing money with a new mold.
Just an idea. Swordplay-out.

"I'm just a rambling idiot trying to appease the masses. You can't take
anything I say too seriously" Me.

Accualt

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

>You presume much with this statement. The G1 toys hold a lot of
>sentimental value for me, and there's a lot of imagination I've got
>invested in them, but the Beast Wars toys have them beat for sheer
>playability. I'm even willing to go so far as to say that there are quite
>a few folks around here who agree with me.

Ya and I'm one of them.

John Bartos

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

Vila Warner wrote in message <6796r5$h0$1...@newsd-124.bryant.webtv.net>...

>Hello all. I am back for a limited time only, and do not intend to stay
>for too long, but I felt it neccesary to voicemy opinion on this matter.
>Why don't we try to get Has/Ken to look into the BW Japanese exclusives
>for BoCon or send-aways. That way, they don't have to spend any extra
>money on re-painting a toy, or worry about losing money with a new mold.
>Just an idea. Swordplay-out.

I think it would be redundant for BotCon to offer a BW Japanese exclusive as
the BotCon exclusive, because there will (probably) be dealers there selling
them as well.

John

msi...@ibm.net

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

John Bartos wrote:

> Vila Warner wrote in message <6796r5$h0$1...@newsd-124.bryant.webtv.net>...
> >Why don't we try to get Has/Ken to look into the BW Japanese exclusives
> >for BoCon or send-aways. That way, they don't have to spend any extra
> >money on re-painting a toy, or worry about losing money with a new mold.
> >Just an idea. Swordplay-out.
>
> I think it would be redundant for BotCon to offer a BW Japanese exclusive as
> the BotCon exclusive, because there will (probably) be dealers there selling
> them as well.

Bingo. The whole point of a BotCon exclusive is that it is exclusive to
BotCon.

Now, as for the recolored Japanese BW as mail-aways, I don't see why
not... in fact, Takara did much the same thing back during the
MASTERFORCE series. (For those who don't know about the Japanese series,
this is year 5, Pretenders.)

In Japan, Nightbeat, Siren, Joyride, Darkwing and Dreadwind were
released with different colors as completely different characters.
Takara offered the "American" versions of these figures through
mail-away.

Of course, Japan's also a little bigger on that kind of thing than
America...

M "Considering I Got Shadow Panther For $10 And Shipping, I Have Not
Objections Across The Board" Sipher

msi...@ibm.net

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

EmarZero wrote:

> HOW?!

Connections, connections, connections.

And not pissing off certain outspoken TF fans.

> Die.

Not if I can help it.

M "If Kenny Can Survive An Episode, I Can Live Forever" Sipher

Doug Dlin

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

On Dec. 17, 1997, msi...@ibm.net wrote:

> EmarZero wrote:
>
>> HOW?!
>
> Connections, connections, connections.

With James Burke? I love that series!

> And not pissing off certain outspoken TF fans.

Common courtesy does have its uses...

>> Die.
>
> Not if I can help it.

Now, now, he did say he was kidding...

Doug Dlin
ap...@hotmail.com

EmarZero

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

HOW?! Damn you, "M," you're even worse than "O." I hate you. Die.

<J/K, you kick arse, Sipher. Wish I had enough brainpower for a different
siggy each time...>

DevaNator-Not M Sipher, but still an OK guy.
EmarZero

"I thought to myself, 'My God! What have I done, I've been drinkin' again and
havin' too much fun!'" -Pietasters "Girl Take It Easy"

WildCat@BW1 MUSH! (as soon as I replace m'Telnet Ware...)

Megatron33

Robert A. Jung

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

In article <34989B...@ibm.net> msi...@ibm.net writes:
>EmarZero wrote:
>> HOW?!
>
>Connections, connections, connections.

It's not what you know, it's who you know...

--R.J.
B-)

"I write because I am personally amused by what I do, and if other people are
amused by it, then it's fine. If they're not, then that's also fine."
Send mail to rj...@netcom.com --Frank Zappa
------- Visit Rob on the web! ------ http://www.digiserve.com/eescape/ -------

The Weeter

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

How about a simple SLIGHT retooling of a machineWars toy, which I (and also
some one in Japan also thought of...don't think he stole my idea, so I'll leave
it at that...)

The toy was a SIMPLE repaint of the Machine Wars Hoist into Optimus Prime
colors, with BatOptimus Primes head.

SIMPLE! And CHEAP!!!

EmarZero

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

Or even better, that phat MW Skyfire you did, that rocked, Weet!

DevaNator, who talked to Weet for like an hour at BC on Sunday .