absolute coolest as a toy

Stephen Bajzek

Feb 14, 1994, 12:22:37 AM2/14/94
An offshoot of the Just plain cool thread, I guess...

1. Jetfire. No contest.
2. Shockwave
3. Trypticon

everything else pales...

absolute worst as a toy:
1. Probably any actionmaster, but I'm not sure cayse I never had any
2. Ironhide/Ratchet

-max

with a thirst for revenge and a dangerous heart

VIQAR ABBASI

Feb 16, 1994, 10:24:05 AM2/16/94

>absolute worst as a toy:
>1. Probably any actionmaster, but I'm not sure cayse I never had any
>2. Ironhide/Ratchet

>-max

>with a thirst for revenge and a dangerous heart

I never understood why they couldn't make Ratchet and Ironhide have a face!
It would have been so EASY! Just have a head that folds back behind the
windsheild. Something like Camshaft's head... it's thin, but at least it's
there! If I had the toy, which I didn't, I would have drawn a small face on
cardboard, and attached it to where the head goes. And it could fold back
into the van. Maybe even draw seats, or passengers, on the back of the
face, for van mode.

Can you picture it?

-Viqar, who thought that Megatron was a really cool toy (never had Jetfire),
and whose "just plain cool" list includes: Prowl, Shockwave, Ratbat, the
Stunticons, Rumble/Frenzy, Sideswipe... and WARPATH. "Kerzing!"

Andy C Hofle

Feb 16, 1994, 7:53:11 PM2/16/94
In article <UhLkeRe00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Stephen Bajzek <Mad...@CMU.EDU> writes:

>absolute worst as a toy:
>1. Probably any actionmaster, but I'm not sure cayse I never had any

Actually, the actionmasters were really good toys for playing with. You
didn't have to worry about breaking them or knocking off pieces. They
were really solid. Another good thing was their equal size (OK, there
were a few exceptions: Bumblebee = Devastator?) which made for a very
nice Megatron vs. Prime hand-to-hand battle! (Kinda difficult with the
old toys)

I'd have to say that the worst toys were the throttlebots, or more
generally, any robot with non-movable arms. Flywheels was another, but
at least he came with a gun. We used to call them "shitbots" because
they were obviously designed without much thought.

Andy

jm...@jaguar.uofs.edu

Feb 16, 1994, 10:11:39 PM2/16/94
In article <2juf5n$b...@rainbow.sosi.com>, h...@rainbow.sosi.com (Andy C Hofle) writes
> I'd have to say that the worst toys were the throttlebots, or more
> generally, any robot with non-movable arms. Flywheels was another, but
> at least he came with a gun. We used to call them "shitbots" because
> they were obviously designed without much thought.

Heh, I remember walking towards the registers at TRU, Flywheels in hand,
when all of a sudden I noticed his arms didn't move. I promptly put
him back, somewhat disappointed.

I actually avoided getting Hot Rod b/c his arms didn't move a hell of a
lot.

> Andy

Psycho Shawn Petren

Joshua Freeman Frankel

Feb 17, 1994, 1:21:00 AM2/17/94

Blurr was a pretty crappy toy as well.

Stephen Bajzek

Feb 17, 1994, 4:04:44 PM2/17/94
Excerpts from netnews.alt.toys.transformers: 16-Feb-94 Re: absolute
coolest as a toy by Andy C Ho...@rainbow.sos
> I'd have to say that the worst toys were the throttlebots, or more
> generally, any robot with non-movable arms. Flywheels was another, but
> at least he came with a gun. We used to call them "shitbots" because
> they were obviously designed without much thought.

I kinda liked the Throttlebots, and Flywheels was one of my favorites.
It did kinda bug me when arms didn't move every way I wanted them too,
but you just have to live with that...

Anyone have Windrazor? That's a cool transformation for such a tiny guy...

Eric Harding

Feb 17, 1994, 7:10:31 PM2/17/94
One word: WHEELIE

/Eric Harding 'My opinions are mine, not anyone else's. /
/har...@hebron.connected.com /
/-------------------------------------------------------------/
/ IMAGE= Infantile Men And Giant Egos. /
/ Just killing time untill something better comes along. /
/ Omega Supreme TransformersMUSH /

Stephen Bajzek

Feb 19, 1994, 5:53:45 AM2/19/94
Wheelie was pretty hideous.

s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au

Feb 20, 1994, 11:31:47 PM2/20/94
>I never understood why they couldn't make Ratchet and Ironhide have a face!
>It would have been so EASY! Just have a head that folds back behind the
>windsheild. Something like Camshaft's head... it's thin, but at least it's
>there! If I had the toy, which I didn't, I would have drawn a small face on
>cardboard, and attached it to where the head goes. And it could fold back
>into the van. Maybe even draw seats, or passengers, on the back of the
>face, for van mode.
>
>Can you picture it?

Yeah maybe!-) I had all the TF's from special order but i gave two away during
a lull in my love TF's!-( God i was stupid...... I also bought from special
order Ratchet, Mirage, and Sunstreaker when they weren't available. I was sorry
they weren't selling the other TF's from the first line!-(

>-Viqar, who thought that Megatron was a really cool toy (never had Jetfire),
>and whose "just plain cool" list includes: Prowl, Shockwave, Ratbat, the
>Stunticons, Rumble/Frenzy, Sideswipe... and WARPATH. "Kerzing!"

Yeah i have to agree, Jetfire, was and still is a REALLY COOL toy. I remember i
wanted electronic battleships for christmas, but when i saw Jetfire in Kmart
battleships went out the window, and my dad's stress level went up.... "Dad i
want Jetfire for christmas, i want jetfire for christmas!-)"...... I must have
been a poain in the arse!-)

_____
/ _ \ "The only thing IMPOSSIBLE is
/ / \ / IMPOSSIBILTY itself! Anything
/ \_/ / EV!!! - s931...@PITVAX.XX.RMIT.EDU.AU is POSSIBLE! The mind is the
\_____/ key to Ultimate power" - Dev!!

s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au

Feb 22, 1994, 8:59:50 AM2/22/94
>I kinda liked the Throttlebots, and Flywheels was one of my favorites.
>It did kinda bug me when arms didn't move every way I wanted them too,
>but you just have to live with that...
>
>Anyone have Windrazor? That's a cool transformation for such a tiny guy...
>
>-max

Worst Transformers!-)......in no particular order either!

Throttlebots(O yeah really hip TF's.....NOT!)
MicroMasters(Great idea hasbro....Less for more!)
ActionMasters(Yeah Transformers that don't Transform, gee lets call em formers!)
Firecons(Not very HOT!)
Pretenders(Pretending to be worth the money!)
JumpStarters(Didn't get me going!)
Monsterbots(Looked ok, but Autobot monsters....Please!)
Decepticon Six-Changer(Nice idea but, none of the Transforms look like what they
are supposeed to, with maybe an exception for the jet!)
Duocons(Nice idea again, but not very many moveable appendages!)
PowerDasher(Cheapo TF that you would expect from the Machine men!)
Time Warrior(Very Gimmicky, true example of the 80's)
Second Gen of Mini-Vehicles(Most were good TF's but a blantant grab for money
for money by HASBRO, by duplicating originals)
Broadside(Just a shit looking TF)
BattleChargers(The YIN to the JumpStarter's YANG!)

Well thats my list, i lost track of a lot of the later TF's, but from what i did
see, i wasn't very impressed, so i would imagine that they would make my list!-)
Basically i feel the first, second and most of the third lines of the TF's were
the best as they were at least partly made with Die-Cast metal. Everything else
was just to dam plasticy!-( Oh well if i have Flamed your fav TF, sorry but as i
said its my list of Worst TF's!-)

Psycho Shawn Petren

Feb 22, 1994, 9:39:24 AM2/22/94
In article <2kcviv$n...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:

|> Firecons(Not very HOT!)

I take it you liked the Sparkabots???

|> Pretenders(Pretending to be worth the money!)

The Pretender Starscream was, urm, interesting. The paint on his canopy
came off quick thought. :(

|> Monsterbots(Looked ok, but Autobot monsters....Please!)

I don't remember these. Can you give names and descriptions?

|> Second Gen of Mini-Vehicles(Most were good TF's but a blantant grab for money
|> for money by HASBRO, by duplicating originals)

Well.... just as bad as Hoist/Trailbreaker, Prowl/Smokescreen/Bluestreak.
You get the idea.

--

Psycho Shawn Petren
----------------------------------

Mike Kearns

Feb 22, 1994, 7:52:55 PM2/22/94
Stephen Bajzek (Mad...@CMU.EDU) wrote:
: Wheelie was pretty hideous.

: -max

: with a thirst for revenge and a dangerous hear

Another of the worst has to be the action masters, Transformers that dont
transform!!!

Grendel -----=
gre...@csos.orst.edu
tstt

Andy C Hofle

Feb 22, 1994, 8:19:51 PM2/22/94
In article <2kd5es$b...@gopher.cs.uofs.edu> jm...@finch.cs.uofs.edu (Psycho Shawn Petren) writes:
>In article <2kcviv$n...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:

>|> Monsterbots(Looked ok, but Autobot monsters....Please!)
>
> I don't remember these. Can you give names and descriptions?

Ex: Repugnus. He's the only Monsterbot I have, but I would not put him
or any other monsterbot anywhere NEAR the list of worst TFs. Very unusual
transform, good quality, basically a solid TF. I liked them. And hey,
if the Decepticons can have cars, why can't the Autobots have monsters?! :)

Andy

Mike 'Ergh' Escutia

Feb 23, 1994, 9:37:57 AM2/23/94
In article <2kcviv$n...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:
>Time Warrior(Very Gimmicky, true example of the 80's)

I don't remember this one, and I have a good memory. :) Anybody care to
enlighten me?

--Mike

Mike Escutia | Pliable Lad of the LNH | "The House of Ideas has become
m...@kepler.unh.edu | Ergh on IRC | the House of Idea"
Mi...@unh.edu | [This space for rent] | --John Byrne on Marvel

jm...@jaguar.uofs.edu

Feb 23, 1994, 10:49:14 PM2/23/94
In article <2kh6hm$9...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:
|> In Article <2k111n$5...@hebron.connected.com>
|> har...@hebron.connected.com (Eric Harding) writes:
|>>One word: WHEELIE
|>
|> Second Word: COSMOS

Third word: SEASPRAY. Gee, this is fun.

|> _____
|> / _ \ "The only thing IMPOSSIBLE is
|> / / \ / IMPOSSIBILTY itself! Anything
|> / \_/ / EV!!! - s931...@PITVAX.XX.RMIT.EDU.AU is POSSIBLE! The mind is the
|> \_____/ key to Ultimate power" - Dev!!

Psycho Shawn Petren

s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au

Feb 23, 1994, 11:23:10 PM2/23/94
In Article <2k111n$5...@hebron.connected.com>
har...@hebron.connected.com (Eric Harding) writes:
>One word: WHEELIE

Second Word: COSMOS

Eric Harding

Feb 24, 1994, 6:41:41 AM2/24/94
jm...@jaguar.uofs.edu wrote:

: In article <2kh6hm$9...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:
: |> In Article <2k111n$5...@hebron.connected.com>
: |> har...@hebron.connected.com (Eric Harding) writes:
: |>>One word: WHEELIE
: |>
: |> Second Word: COSMOS

: Third word: SEASPRAY. Gee, this is fun.

Forth word: GOBOTS. (Ducking for cover)

/Eric Harding 'My opinions are mine, not anyone else's. /
/har...@hebron.connected.com /
/-------------------------------------------------------------/
/ IMAGE= Infantile Men And Giant Egos. /

/ Me Grimlock say, Wheelie die today! *STOMP* /

Psycho Shawn Petren

Feb 24, 1994, 9:38:24 AM2/24/94
In article <2ki3pl$j...@hebron.connected.com>, har...@hebron.connected.com (Eric Harding) writes:
|> jm...@jaguar.uofs.edu wrote:
|> : In article <2kh6hm$9...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:
|> : |> In Article <2k111n$5...@hebron.connected.com>
|> : |> har...@hebron.connected.com (Eric Harding) writes:
|> : |>>One word: WHEELIE
|> : |>
|> : |> Second Word: COSMOS
|>
|> : Third word: SEASPRAY. Gee, this is fun.
|>
|> Forth word: GOBOTS. (Ducking for cover)

Wait, is this the Gobots in general, or that new Autobot named Gobots?

[.sig deleted]

Raksha

Feb 25, 1994, 1:02:43 AM2/25/94

Hey ... I *like* the Action Masters! They're among my favorites, in fact. So
who cares if they don't transform? That was never the big deal for me anyway.
Even on the show and in the comic, it was never so much the "ooh-neat"
transformational abilities, or the weaponry, or whatever, that made the
characters great -- it was their very distinct and individualistic
personalities. The Action Masters were great because they looked the way the
characters did on the cartoon. The only thing I didn't like about them was
that they were all made to be the same size. Other than that, they're very
detailed and fantastic little figures.
Except for Starscream and Thundercracker. I've never been able to figure
out why they couldn't get the jets to look right. These were the only
characters who did *not* look better as Action Masters than as the original
toys. I guess something gets lost in the translation when the wings
disappear.....
--Raksha

Joshua Freeman Frankel

Feb 25, 1994, 1:19:06 AM2/25/94

I DEFINITELY like my transformers to transform. Down with the action masters.

Mike 'Ergh' Escutia

Feb 26, 1994, 7:49:41 PM2/26/94
In article <2kk58q$4...@agate.berkeley.edu> fra...@uclink.berkeley.edu (Joshua Freeman Frankel) writes:

>I DEFINITELY like my transformers to transform. Down with the action masters.

Yeah, and targetmaster partner of the one I used to have (Rad) wouldn't stay
in animal mode...

--Ergh, who listened to the movie soundtrack last night for the
first time in ages...

Mike "Ergh" Escutia Pliable Lad of the LNH -- mi...@unh.edu
LNH '94: We're Kicking Net.Butt!!
_Pliable Lad_ published by Totally Miked Productions

s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au

Feb 27, 1994, 8:51:16 AM2/27/94
In Article <2kd5es$b...@gopher.cs.uofs.edu>

jm...@finch.cs.uofs.edu (Psycho Shawn Petren) writes:
>In article <2kcviv$n...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:
>
>|> Firecons(Not very HOT!)
>
> I take it you liked the Sparkabots???

NOT!!!

>|> Pretenders(Pretending to be worth the money!)
>
> The Pretender Starscream was, urm, interesting. The paint on his canopy
> came off quick thought. :(

I bought one(Landmine) and regretted it!-(

>|> Monsterbots(Looked ok, but Autobot monsters....Please!)
>
> I don't remember these. Can you give names and descriptions?

Yeah here goes!

Repugnus: I don't really know how to describe this one, Just butt ugly!
Grotusque: Err.....sabertooth tiger look alike!
DoubleCross: Two headed winged dragon.

>|> Second Gen of Mini-Vehicles(Most were good TF's but a blantant grab for money
>|> for money by HASBRO, by duplicating originals)
>
> Well.... just as bad as Hoist/Trailbreaker, Prowl/Smokescreen/Bluestreak.
> You get the idea.

True and heres an even better one.......Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus. Well the
trailer section anyway!-)

s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au

Feb 27, 1994, 8:54:11 AM2/27/94
In Article <2keavn$q...@rainbow.sosi.com>
h...@rainbow.sosi.com (Andy C Hofle) writes:

>> I don't remember these. Can you give names and descriptions?
>
>Ex: Repugnus. He's the only Monsterbot I have, but I would not put him
>or any other monsterbot anywhere NEAR the list of worst TFs. Very unusual
>transform, good quality, basically a solid TF. I liked them. And hey,
>if the Decepticons can have cars, why can't the Autobots have monsters?! :)
>
>Andy

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't bagging the quality etc.... i agree whole heartedly
with you but i just don't see Autobots Monsters! Monsters are supposed to denote
something evil or nasty aren't they?

s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au

Feb 27, 1994, 8:58:11 AM2/27/94
In Article <2kfpo5$d...@mozz.unh.edu>

m...@christa.unh.edu (Mike 'Ergh' Escutia) writes:
>In article <2kcviv$n...@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> s931...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au writes:
>>Time Warrior(Very Gimmicky, true example of the 80's)
>
>I don't remember this one, and I have a good memory. :) Anybody care to
>enlighten me?
>
> --Mike

Well add this to your memory banks! Time Warrior was a TF special offer. It was
a watch with an Autobot Face on it. It has a button which you pushed and the
Face opened to reveal the time. The way they talked about it, it was like the
next best re-inforcement since Omega Supreme!-). However it was not a TF.

SUZANNE M FERREE

Feb 28, 1994, 1:06:17 PM2/28/94

|sf> I know! Anybody remember the junky TFs in the McDonald's Happy
>Meals? Not only didn't they transform, each of the three looked almost
>exactly alike! They were perminently fixed in robot form. They had
>wheels but the wheels were fake. They hardly looked anything like
>the TFs that they were supposed to immitate. And to top it off, they
>didn't even get their own advertising campagn. They were stuck with
>three My Little Pony ribbon holders (which also were rehashes of
>a Charmkins Toy!)! I think that this happened long before the movie(s)
>(if you include the ponies). Roller and others mentioned before
>this on this thread couldn't be any worse than these three crazies!
>
> I think one was supposed to be Bumblebee, one looked like a purple
>blob, and I don't remember the other one. I think they also had
>two colors on each of them. IMO the only thing they seemed to be good
>for was using for target practice for the good-quality TFs.
>
> BTW, I prefer Seaspray, Cosmos, Wheelie, or even the Hasbro Bumblebee
>to those three sorry excuses for (what they passed off as) TFs!
>
>Suzanne Ferree
>E-mail: sfe...@cwis.unomaha.edu

cannon...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2015, 9:39:37 AM12/8/15
*bump*

Zobovor

Dec 8, 2015, 12:30:36 PM12/8/15
On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 7:39:37 AM UTC-7, Jacob Kilner wrote:

> *bump*

He says, 21 years later.

Zob (loving the references to the "new" G2 toy named Gobots)

Jacob Kilner

Dec 8, 2015, 10:09:41 PM12/8/15
Found this linked on TFwiki.

Couldn't resist. Haha!