How about some more... Secrets of the Original Scripts!

ma...@troy49.freeserve.co.uk

Apr 10, 2005, 11:39:19 AM4/10/05
It's been quite a while since I last did any of these, because I
found that, through coincidence or design, that there seems to be a lot
less interesting stuff in these later scripts, compared to those from
Season 2, Part 2. I guess I didn't look at "Desertion of the
Dinobots" hard enough, though, because there's a *mess* of stuff in
it.

1. The first hint of a problem with the Transformers, and also a nice
bit of typical girlfriend-meets-boyfriend's-parents interaction
between Carly and Spike. As they leave the funfair...

Spike: We should be right on time to pick up Dad at the airport.

Carly: Why don't you go without me, Spike, I look terrible.

Spike: You look fine.

Carly: There's paint under my nails. Your father's going to think I
haven't washed my hands in a week!

Spike: That looks like Bumblebee's paint!

Bumblebee: That strange. The paint is fused to our hulls. It's not
supposed to come off THAT easily!

2. When Red Alert, Hoist and Inferno arrive at the airport, Jazz
attempts to explain the disaster with a bit of humour:

Jazz: Maybe somebody tried to teach 'em to dance!

Hoist: Your humor will be more palatable when they have been properly
repaired.

3. In Part 2, when Spike picks Carly up to carry her, she agrees with
him and comment: "Okay, then I won't wear out my new shoes."

4. When Swoop is breaking into Wheeljack's lab and the kids are
panicking, this scene is cut down...

Spike: Carly, help... before it gets in!

Sparkplug: Carly... Spike... there's a control panel on the wall...
you might be able to activate a force field!

Carly: I found it! Here it is!

Swoop: No shoot!

Spike: Swoop!

Swoop: Me Swoop am followed!

Spike: Who would follow you?

Then, Swoop's flashback ensues.

5. After Carly says "Everything is so huge," she continues on
with...

Carly: Like Jack and the Beanstalk!

Spike: (To Swoop) Don't say Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum.

Swoop: Fo-Fum-Fee-Fi.

6. After the return of the Dinobots and kids to Earth...

Swoop: You forget Cybertron, Mirage. Cybertron not nice anymore!

Spike: You should be happy you guys have a place like Earth to live!

Grimlock: Me Grimlock agree!

Also, here's another few little pieces picked up here and there.

A SWOOP BY ANY OTHER NAME
You may recall that the "Cast List" on the Season 3/4 DVD revealed
that Don Glut's original names for Grimlock and Sludge were
"Tyrex" and "Bronton." Well, the script for "War of the
Dinobots" reveals that Swoop was originally named "Wing." How
terribly blah.

CATCHIN' SOME Z's
Many season one scripts agree with the "Countdown to Extinction"
script on the Rhino S1 DVD, identifying Jazz's original name as
"Jazzz."

THE DOCTORS ARE IN
In "Enter the Nightbird," the doctor's name is consistently
spelled "Fujiama," rather than "Fujiyama." Also, in "Day of
the Machines," Paul Gates's colleague is named "Dr. Andrews."

MOUSE IN THE HOUSE
Y'know that famous incomprehensible line from "Atlantis, Arise!"
when Starscream goes: "Waiting is for timid..."? It's
"zap-mice."

"IT"
The ancient Autobot (represented by a wireframe head that looks like a
Quintesson) which Optimus Prime converses with in "The Return of
Optimus Prime," Part 2, is identified only as "It." Creepy.

Chris

Grebo

Apr 10, 2005, 1:12:47 PM4/10/05
Heh...

Depending on how it's written in Japanese, "Ama" can mean "amateur" or
"bitch."

The Tyrex, Bronton, and Wing names are truly fascinating! I'd love to
learn of more early names... I loved reading the Beast Wars scripts and
seeing some of the name suggestions for Airazor.

Zap-Mice should be added to the list of Cybertronian animals!

"It." That is friggin' COOL.

You rock, Chris! These are truly invaluable contributions to the
fandom!

Grebo

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Apr 10, 2005, 3:32:08 PM4/10/05
Chris McFeely wrote...

> 1. The first hint of a problem with the Transformers, and also a nice
> bit of typical girlfriend-meets-boyfriend's-parents interaction
> between Carly and Spike. As they leave the funfair...
>
> Spike: We should be right on time to pick up Dad at the airport.
>
> Carly: Why don't you go without me, Spike, I look terrible.
>
> Spike: You look fine.
>
> Carly: There's paint under my nails. Your father's going to think I
> haven't washed my hands in a week!
>
> Spike: That looks like Bumblebee's paint!
>
> Bumblebee: That strange. The paint is fused to our hulls. It's not
> supposed to come off THAT easily!

Spike: Hey, what exactly were you guys doing that she ended up with
your paint under her nails, huh ?!

> MOUSE IN THE HOUSE
> Y'know that famous incomprehensible line from "Atlantis, Arise!"
> when Starscream goes: "Waiting is for timid..."? It's
> "zap-mice."

Incomprehensible? I've understood it was zap-mice just fine.

> "IT"
> The ancient Autobot (represented by a wireframe head that looks like
> Quintesson)

And does NOT look like a Vok, to me at least.

>which Optimus Prime converses with in "The Return of
> Optimus Prime," Part 2, is identified only as "It." Creepy.

Heh. "It." I like that.

Say, do you have the original scripts of Rebirth? 'Cause there are a
few lines I'd hope to get clarity on.

-Kil
----
The Kil File:
http://hometown.aol.com/michaelmcc79/index.html

ma...@troy49.freeserve.co.uk

Apr 10, 2005, 4:00:18 PM4/10/05
> Spike: Hey, what exactly were you guys doing that she ended up with
> your paint under her nails, huh ?!

Presumably, it's from when she lifted his chest plate to turn off his
equilibrium circuits.

> Incomprehensible? I've understood it was zap-mice just fine.

It's just one of those lines that posed confusion for a while. Like
"HEIDIRRATIONAL! How am I to debate with FAH-NA-DA-DEEE-DOOOOO!!" :)

> Say, do you have the original scripts of Rebirth? 'Cause there are a
> few lines I'd hope to get clarity on.

Oh, yeah, I never got up to these when I was going through season 3, so
I never go to tell you, because I knew you'd want to know - the scripts
for Rebirth are on the disc, but they're not the original ones. They're
marked "as broadcast," and are transcripts of the finished, aired
episodes. "Starscream's Ghost" is the same, as are one or two more I
can't think of right now. More's the pity.

Chris

Mark Brown

Apr 10, 2005, 7:01:35 PM4/10/05
<ma...@troy49.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
*SNIP*

Yay! Thanks for posting these, they're always a kick.

> A SWOOP BY ANY OTHER NAME
> You may recall that the "Cast List" on the Season 3/4 DVD revealed
> that Don Glut's original names for Grimlock and Sludge were
> "Tyrex" and "Bronton." Well, the script for "War of the
> Dinobots" reveals that Swoop was originally named "Wing." How
> terribly blah.

Was this before or after he was named Dive-Bomb? -_-

> CATCHIN' SOME Z's
> Many season one scripts agree with the "Countdown to Extinction"
> script on the Rhino S1 DVD, identifying Jazz's original name as
> "Jazzz."

Jazz-Z

Mark
"Anything to be a trend-setter, huh?"

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Apr 11, 2005, 3:20:35 AM4/11/05
Chris McFeely wrote...

> > Incomprehensible? I've understood it was zap-mice just fine.
>
> It's just one of those lines that posed confusion for a while. Like
> "HEIDIRRATIONAL! How am I to debate with FAH-NA-DA-DEEE-DOOOOO!!" :)

I never had trouble understanding that one either, myself. : )

> > Say, do you have the original scripts of Rebirth? 'Cause there are
> > few lines I'd hope to get clarity on.
>
> Oh, yeah, I never got up to these when I was going through season 3,
so
> I never go to tell you, because I knew you'd want to know - the
scripts
> for Rebirth are on the disc, but they're not the original ones.
They're
> marked "as broadcast," and are transcripts of the finished, aired
> episodes.

Awww. : (

I'd still be interested in knowing what these transcripts say about a
couple of lines, though, if you don't mind...

Who, if anyone, is the "Decepticon attack, Decepticon attack!"
loudspeaker announcement, heard just before we see the Throttlebots
rolling out, attributed to?

When Punch (who just happened to be nearby - REAL nearby!) comes into
the vault room, Wingspan says what I swear sounds to me like "It's
Punch! Nail her!" Now, I know that can't be right. I know it's almost
certainly "nail _him_" but I just gotta ask.

After the Decepticons get the Key and withdraw from the attack on
Autobot City, someone says "We did it! We beat 'em!" Zob in his
Bloopers review says the voice sounds most like Brainstorm, who's on
Cybertron and not present for the battle, to him. Rik Bakke's
transcript attributes it to Scattershot. I don't think the voice sounds
like either one of them. Picking out of the characters on-screen when
it's spoken, I think it may have been Chase.

In Part 2, just before the Decepticons are captured by Hive machines,
we see a long shot of the group of 'em walking. Someone despondently
says: "They sure gave us a pounding." Rik Bakke has this line as
Mindwipe's, but I don't think it sounds like him. I'd say it seems more
like Misfire.

-Kil
-----

gem...@tpg.com.au

Apr 11, 2005, 4:43:50 AM4/11/05
On 10 Apr 2005 12:32:08 -0700, "Kil - Michael McCarthy"
<michae...@aol.com> wrote:

>Chris McFeely wrote...

>> Spike: That looks like Bumblebee's paint!
>>
>> Bumblebee: That strange. The paint is fused to our hulls. It's not
>> supposed to come off THAT easily!
>
>Spike: Hey, what exactly were you guys doing that she ended up with
>your paint under her nails, huh ?!

"Well, Spike, I found these magazines in your sleeping quarters, and..."

ma...@troy49.freeserve.co.uk

Apr 11, 2005, 7:30:09 AM4/11/05
> Awww. : (
>
> I'd still be interested in knowing what these transcripts say about a
> couple of lines, though, if you don't mind...

Acchk. I must again be the bearer of bad news. Firstly, there are two
different types of "as broadcast" script on the DVDs.

a) Those which date from the same time period as the rest of the
original scripts. These are obvious, as they are scanned PDFs of the
original typed pages. "Part 3" of Rebirth is like this, as is
"Starscream's Ghost."

b) Those which have had to be re-created from the episodes by
Metrodome, simply in the name of including the scripts to all the
episodes. Several Season 1 scripts are like this, obvious from the
sharp, modern font used. Unfortunately, Parts 1 and 2 of the Rebirth
are also Metrodome recreations - and they're even *Word* files.

However, it appears that back in the day, Sunbow used a team of
RETARDED MONKEYS to transcribe their finished episodes for these "As
Broadcast" scripts, because they contain many mistakes (Sandstorm is
consistently "Springer" throughout "Starscream's Ghost," for example).
And on the other hand, the scripts Metrodome have recreated for season
one are generally spelled fine with the characters names right (bar
"Teletran"). But all three parts of "The Rebirth" contain the most
atrocious, moronic spelling mistakes imaginable - "Deceptacon,"
"Scarpaknock," "Cup," "Rotamus Prime," "Slugsigger," "Scaroshot,"
"Rulebar" and "Automagnus," among others. This leads me to believe that
Metrodome might have retyped Parts 1 and 2 from damaged or degraded
pages or PDFs.

But, the point here is, that they're NOT terribly reliable in answering
these question. But, anyway, just so you know...

> Who, if anyone, is the "Decepticon attack, Decepticon attack!"
> loudspeaker announcement, heard just before we see the Throttlebots
> rolling out, attributed to?

A loudspeaker.

> When Punch (who just happened to be nearby - REAL nearby!) comes into
> the vault room, Wingspan says what I swear sounds to me like "It's
> Punch! Nail her!" Now, I know that can't be right. I know it's almost
> certainly "nail _him_" but I just gotta ask.

The gibbering baboon who transcribed this line obviously had their
hearing aid up their arse, because they've interpreted it as "It's
Timestealer!"

...yeah.

> After the Decepticons get the Key and withdraw from the attack on
> Autobot City, someone says "We did it! We beat 'em!" Zob in his
> Bloopers review says the voice sounds most like Brainstorm, who's on
> Cybertron and not present for the battle, to him. Rik Bakke's
> transcript attributes it to Scattershot. I don't think the voice
sounds
> like either one of them. Picking out of the characters on-screen when
> it's spoken, I think it may have been Chase.

Uncredited. It's in the script, but no speaker is listed.

> In Part 2, just before the Decepticons are captured by Hive machines,
> we see a long shot of the group of 'em walking. Someone despondently
> says: "They sure gave us a pounding." Rik Bakke has this line as
> Mindwipe's, but I don't think it sounds like him. I'd say it seems
more
> like Misfire.

Uncredited.

Chris

Aaron F. Bourque

Apr 11, 2005, 4:36:16 PM4/11/05
ma...@troy49.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> It's been quite a while since I last did any of these,

Yay! These are always fun.

> because I found that, through coincidence or design, that there
> seems to be a lot less interesting stuff in these later scripts,
> compared to those from Season 2, Part 2. I guess I didn't look
> at "Desertion of the Dinobots" hard enough, though, because
> there's a *mess* of stuff in it.
>
> 1. The first hint of a problem with the Transformers, and also
> a nice bit of typical girlfriend-meets-boyfriend's-parents
> interaction between Carly and Spike. As they leave the
> funfair...
>
> Spike: We should be right on time to pick up Dad at the airport.
>
> Carly: Why don't you go without me, Spike, I look terrible.
>
> Spike: You look fine.
>
> Carly: There's paint under my nails. Your father's going to
> think I haven't washed my hands in a week!

This sort of stuff is why we need an "adult" TF show.

> 2. When Red Alert, Hoist and Inferno arrive at the airport, Jazz
> attempts to explain the disaster with a bit of humour:
>
> Jazz: Maybe somebody tried to teach 'em to dance!
>
> Hoist: Your humor will be more palatable when they have been
> properly repaired.

Heheheheheh.

> 3. In Part 2, when Spike picks Carly up to carry her, she
> agrees with him and comment: "Okay, then I won't wear out my
> new shoes."

That Carly. What a liberated woman. Never mind that this was the reason
original reason Spike always wore the exo-suit in the movie.

> 4. When Swoop is breaking into Wheeljack's lab and the kids are
> panicking, this scene is cut down...
>
> Spike: Carly, help... before it gets in!
>
> Sparkplug: Carly... Spike... there's a control panel on the
> wall... you might be able to activate a force field!
>
> Carly: I found it! Here it is!
>
> Swoop: No shoot!
>
> Spike: Swoop!
>
> Swoop: Me Swoop am followed!

And also, The Hulk.

> 5. After Carly says "Everything is so huge,"

Heh.

> she continues on with...
>
> Carly: Like Jack and the Beanstalk!

Double-heh.

> Spike: (To Swoop) Don't say Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum.
>
> Swoop: Fo-Fum-Fee-Fi.

Hee hee hee.

> Also, here's another few little pieces picked up here and there.
>
> A SWOOP BY ANY OTHER NAME
> You may recall that the "Cast List" on the Season 3/4 DVD
> revealed that Don Glut's original names for Grimlock and Sludge
> were "Tyrex" and "Bronton." Well, the script for "War of the
> Dinobots" reveals that Swoop was originally named "Wing." How
> terribly blah.

As opposed to "Wingthing"?

And the the original names of the Autobot-cassettes?

"Cubby," anyone?

Although it woulda been cool to have a bear-tape.

> CATCHIN' SOME Z's
> Many season one scripts agree with the "Countdown to Extinction"
> script on the Rhino S1 DVD, identifying Jazz's original name as
> "Jazzz."

Yipes. It would have been revolutionary at the time! </sarcasm>

> THE DOCTORS ARE IN
> In "Enter the Nightbird," the doctor's name is consistently
> spelled "Fujiama," rather than "Fujiyama." Also, in "Day of
> the Machines," Paul Gates's colleague is named "Dr. Andrews."

Fujiama? Aww.

He also said, in another article:

> "HEIDIRRATIONAL! How am I to debate with FAH-NA-DA-DEEE-
> DOOOOO!!"

That is the single greatest thing ever said by another human being.

> "IT"
> The ancient Autobot (represented by a wireframe head that looks
> like a Quintesson) which Optimus Prime converses with in "The
> Return of Optimus Prime," Part 2, is identified only as "It."
> Creepy.

*The* It.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

Aaron F. Bourque

Apr 11, 2005, 4:37:21 PM4/11/05
Kil - Michael McCarthy wrote:
> Chris McFeely wrote...

> > "IT"
> > The ancient Autobot (represented by a wireframe head that looks
like
> > Quintesson)
>
> And does NOT look like a Vok, to me at least.

I thought Quintessons looked like Voks.

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Apr 11, 2005, 7:22:05 PM4/11/05
Chris McFeely wrote...

> Acchk. I must again be the bearer of bad news. Firstly, there are two
> different types of "as broadcast" script on the DVDs.
>
> a) Those which date from the same time period as the rest of the
> original scripts. These are obvious, as they are scanned PDFs of the
> original typed pages. "Part 3" of Rebirth is like this, as is
> "Starscream's Ghost."
>
> b) Those which have had to be re-created from the episodes by
> Metrodome, simply in the name of including the scripts to all the
> episodes. Several Season 1 scripts are like this, obvious from the
> sharp, modern font used. Unfortunately, Parts 1 and 2 of the Rebirth
> are also Metrodome recreations - and they're even *Word* files.
>
> However, it appears that back in the day, Sunbow used a team of
> RETARDED MONKEYS to transcribe their finished episodes for these "As
> Broadcast" scripts, because they contain many mistakes (Sandstorm is
> consistently "Springer" throughout "Starscream's Ghost," for
example).
> And on the other hand, the scripts Metrodome have recreated for
season
> one are generally spelled fine with the characters names right (bar
> "Teletran"). But all three parts of "The Rebirth" contain the most
> atrocious, moronic spelling mistakes imaginable - "Deceptacon,"
> "Scarpaknock," "Cup," "Rotamus Prime," "Slugsigger," "Scaroshot,"
> "Rulebar" and "Automagnus," among others.

: (

> But, the point here is, that they're NOT terribly reliable in
answering
> these question. But, anyway, just so you know...
>
> > Who, if anyone, is the "Decepticon attack, Decepticon attack!"
> > loudspeaker announcement, heard just before we see the Throttlebots
> > rolling out, attributed to?
>
> A loudspeaker.

Heh. That's about what I expected on that one anyway. I think the voice
sounds most like Silverbolt, but he's on Cybertron at this point.

> > When Punch (who just happened to be nearby - REAL nearby!) comes
into
> > the vault room, Wingspan says what I swear sounds to me like "It's
> > Punch! Nail her!" Now, I know that can't be right. I know it's
almost
> > certainly "nail _him_" but I just gotta ask.
>
> The gibbering baboon who transcribed this line obviously had their
> hearing aid up their arse, because they've interpreted it as "It's
> Timestealer!"
>
> ...yeah.

Time... stealer...

Well, at least I'm not the only one who heard an "er" sound at the end
of that.

gem...@tpg.com.au

Apr 12, 2005, 8:31:33 AM4/12/05
On 11 Apr 2005 00:20:35 -0700, "Kil - Michael McCarthy"
<michae...@aol.com> wrote:

>When Punch (who just happened to be nearby - REAL nearby!) comes into
>the vault room, Wingspan says what I swear sounds to me like "It's
>Punch! Nail her!" Now, I know that can't be right. I know it's almost
>certainly "nail _him_" but I just gotta ask.

I just listened to this soundbite about fifty times on a loop, and I still
can't make out exactly what Pounce is saying.

"It's Punch - {syllable} {syllable}"

Could be "steal it" or "deal it" or "seal it", but I'll be darned if it
doesn't sound vaguely like "dealer".

(And it is Pounce's line - he says it to Wingspan, who then leaps onto
Punch's shoulders, pinning him so Pounce can transform and attack.)

-SteveD

Parallax

Apr 12, 2005, 5:35:07 PM4/12/05
gem...@tpg.com.au wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2005 00:20:35 -0700, "Kil - Michael McCarthy"
> <michae...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >When Punch (who just happened to be nearby - REAL nearby!) comes into
> >the vault room, Wingspan says what I swear sounds to me like "It's
> >Punch! Nail her!" Now, I know that can't be right. I know it's almost
> >certainly "nail _him_" but I just gotta ask.
>
> I just listened to this soundbite about fifty times on a loop, and I still
> can't make out exactly what Pounce is saying.
>
> "It's Punch - {syllable} {syllable}"
>
> Could be "steal it" or "deal it" or "seal it", but I'll be darned if it
> doesn't sound vaguely like "dealer".

I slowed the sound speed down to 65-70% and I'm fairly certain it's
"nail him".

--
Replace '???????' with 'prodigy' to email me.

Rik Bakke

Apr 16, 2005, 1:48:26 PM4/16/05
"Kil - Michael McCarthy" <michae...@aol.com> wrote:

> When Punch (who just happened to be nearby - REAL nearby!) comes
> into the vault room, Wingspan says what I swear sounds to me like "It's
> Punch! Nail her!" Now, I know that can't be right. I know it's almost
> certainly "nail _him_" but I just gotta ask.

It's definitely "nail him," only it's not enunciated as distinctly, sounding
more like "nail 'im!"

> After the Decepticons get the Key and withdraw from the attack on
> Autobot City, someone says "We did it! We beat 'em!" Zob in his
> Bloopers review says the voice sounds most like Brainstorm, who's

> on Cybertron and not present for the battle.

I don't think that sounds like even the outer perimeter of anything like
Brainstorm's voice.

> Rik Bakke's transcript attributes it to Scattershot. I don't think the
> voice sounds like either one of them. Picking out of the characters
> on-screen when it's spoken, I think it may have been Chase.

Of the characters present, it sounds to me the most like Scattershot.
Now, if you go by his voice in the first scene, which sounds deeper
than in his first few appearances, it's not even close, but given that
Rob Paulsen voiced Chase, and nothing Rob ever did on the show
sounds like that line, I would rule Chase out as well.

More than likely, it's not supposed to be anyone in particular; just
a throwaway line. Which the script also bears out.

> In Part 2, just before the Decepticons are captured by Hive machines,
> we see a long shot of the group of 'em walking. Someone despondently
> says: "They sure gave us a pounding." Rik Bakke has this line as
> Mindwipe's, but I don't think it sounds like him. I'd say it seems more
> like Misfire.

It doesn't sound like Misfire (who basically sounds like Scourge) in the
slightest. Granted, it's not real close to Mindwipe, either, but it's closER.
Come to think of it... it probably sounds closest to a subdued Cyclonus.
Or it was just another generic line that they worked out a new voice for,
which explains why it just doesn't really conform with anything thitherto
established.

Stuff like that's a big pain, really.
--
Rik Bakke
silverbolt [at] c2i [dot] net

THE CYBERTRON CHRONICLE
http://cybertronchronicle.net/

TRANSFORMERS FAN CODE
G++ G1- BW++ MW++ BM+ Rid Arm+ FR FW+ #75 D+ AA+ N W++ OQP BC98-02&04++ CN- OM+