I really didn't study for this test

Skip to the first unread message

ShadowWing

17 Jun 2009, 22:56:1417/06/2009
I'm trying out freenews.netfront.net, which I got from a website listing
of free servers. Curious how it works, since AT&T will soon drop usenet for
some odd reason.

Gustavo Wombat

18 Jun 2009, 00:02:2118/06/2009
Sorry, can't see it.

Gr�e

18 Jun 2009, 11:34:1618/06/2009
"ShadowWing" <the...@SPAMBLOCKADEsnet.net> wrote in

nntp.aioe.org is another good free one. Usenet is slowly dying off. Back in
the day, the elite were disturbed when their precious usenet was invaded by
easy to use services like WebTV and AOL, which, to them, provided acess to
unworthy, unknowledgable noobs, and brought forth a period of chaos and
anarchy. Now that a lot of ISPs are stopping their usenet service, I wonder
if there is now going to be an influx of usenet scumbags back onto regular
old internet messageboards, and how internet folklore will record it.

Onslaught Six

18 Jun 2009, 14:45:2718/06/2009
On Jun 18, 11:34 am, "Grüe" <a...@a.com> wrote:

> nntp.aioe.org is another good free one. Usenet is slowly dying off. Back in
> the day, the elite were disturbed when their precious usenet was invaded by
> easy to use services like WebTV and AOL, which, to them, provided acess to
> unworthy, unknowledgable noobs, and brought forth a period of chaos and
> anarchy. Now that a lot of ISPs are stopping their usenet service, I wonder
> if there is now going to be an influx of usenet scumbags back onto regular
> old internet messageboards, and how internet folklore will record it.

Nah. The pathetic Usenet oldfags will cling to their pathetic,
outdated and boring medium as the new-world forumites rule the
Interwebs universe.

...wait, I'm on Usenet still.

Shit.

Blaster Master

18 Jun 2009, 21:21:5218/06/2009
www.motzarella.org has a great news server. You go to their website, create
an always free account, and within 254 hours, it's active, and you can read
& post. I'm using it and am VERY happy with it.

--

Blaster Master
a.k.a.

"ShadowWing" <the...@SPAMBLOCKADEsnet.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Cornholio

18 Jun 2009, 22:10:4418/06/2009
It is true usenet is dying I've been using it since about 1994 or so,
and except for binaries the number of posts has been steadily declining
for years now. I will miss it when it ends up in the dustbin of
technology history.

SteveD

19 Jun 2009, 02:27:0919/06/2009
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:10:44 -0400, Cornholio <t...@mybunghole.net> wrote:

>It is true usenet is dying I've been using it since about 1994 or so,
>and except for binaries the number of posts has been steadily declining
>for years now. I will miss it when it ends up in the dustbin of
>technology history.

I don't think it will actually die for several decades, though. It works
over TCP/IP, there are multiple free news servers and clients, hobbyists
can set up their own server, and there are people out there who have been
using it for decades as a primary source of news, networking, and
relationship building. They're not likely to switch en masse.

Personally, I started out on bulletin boards, then went to usenet and IRC.
While I have partially shifted to web forums and social networking sites
if only to keep a hand in the medium of the moment, it's usenet I check
first. For starters, it's a lot faster to load my groups and page through
the posts than it is to click through any web forum.

Interestingly, I was never really into email mailing lists. I think I'm
still on one or two, but they tend to get archived automatically without
being read.

-SteveD

Cornholio

19 Jun 2009, 21:57:4319/06/2009
I hope you're right as I do really enjoy the medium.

Gr�e

19 Jun 2009, 22:21:0019/06/2009
"Blaster Master" <bsr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:h1ep75$p4o$1
@news.eternal-september.org: