Starscream Oil on Canvas. Feedback please?

R. Tursi

Jul 17, 2002, 8:43:33 PM7/17/02
Hello all.

Trent convinced me to enter the Botcon art contest. I wanted to do
something... somewhat original. Then it occured to me that not too
many people have painted TF fanart classical style using oil on
canvas. So I painted this over the weekend. It's a portrait of
Starscream during his coronation. I think it's done, but if you see
room for improvement, please let me know. Thanks!

http://www.darkmount.com/starscreamoil

-Roe

Galenraff

Jul 17, 2002, 8:52:51 PM7/17/02
That's really really cool! I especially like how the blacks aren't a solid
black, but fade around like in classical paintings!

The only thing that it's lacking for the real feel is a temple in the
background that's dark, shadowy, and with columns, and this could be a
Renaissance painting!
--------------Galenraff---------------------
"That's just prime."
"What's left of him."

Synch

Jul 17, 2002, 9:12:28 PM7/17/02
Holy crud thats prety good

Paul Segal

Jul 17, 2002, 10:02:22 PM7/17/02
R. Tursi wrote:

>I think it's done, but if you see
>room for improvement, please let me know. Thanks!
>
>http://www.darkmount.com/starscreamoil

It's not something you'd change at this point, but I think the perspective is
*too* exaggerated - the chest vent nearest the viewer is pretty darn big. But
plenty of people like the exaggerated perspective (Transfandom seems to be
split on Pat Lee's art, and that's way more extreme and stylized than this) and
other than that, it's a great rendering of Starscream. He looks plenty smug.

-Paul Segal
Email: aster...@yahoo.com ICQ: 24024819 AIM: asterphage
* Fully transformerable.
* ...that's outrageous!

Omega Springer

Jul 17, 2002, 11:29:06 PM7/17/02
A great piece of work, the only suggestion I'd have is that perhaps you add
a background, perhaps the long trumpets that were playing can be seen behind
him or a large banner with the decepticon logo or his face behind him...

Omega Springer............ perhaps some smoke and the wreckage of a
building behind him................

"R. Tursi" <roet...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Retardomontalban

Jul 18, 2002, 12:22:27 AM7/18/02
Why the heck are you all telling him "what you" would have added? He did it,
wants to know if you like it or not, not what you would have done differently.

BTW, I think its pretty sweet. Will definately bid on it.
.
.Retardomontalban
Lifeguard of the gene pool

Pyre

Jul 18, 2002, 12:53:25 AM7/18/02
[cc'd to e-mail]

R. Tursi wrote:

> http://www.darkmount.com/starscreamoil

Wow! That's REALLY good. Awesome job.

--
Pyre[Rock] - pyres...@crosswinds.net
http://pyresdomain.crosswinds.net/

AtomBomb

Jul 18, 2002, 12:54:04 AM7/18/02
[CC'd to email]

That's really lovely...a perfect copy of that frame, drawing-wise. (I don't
see a print-out anywhere in the photo. Did you do it from memory, by any
chance?) Color-wise, something about the intakes and the cape doesn't sit well
with me, though I can't figure out what it is...and it's minor, anyway.
Translating cel art into an oil painting is pretty hard to achieve to
perfection, I imagine. :) I really like how you did the crown and his wing...

Beautiful stuff. Best of luck at BotCon!

-AtomBomb.

Zobovor

Jul 18, 2002, 1:07:43 AM7/18/02
Retardomontalban wrote:

> Why the heck are you all telling him "what you" would have added? He
>did it, wants to know if you like it or not, not what you would have done
>differently.

I think those comments were in response to the request that "if you see room

Paul Segal

Jul 18, 2002, 1:19:36 AM7/18/02
Retardomontalban wrote:

> Why the heck are you all telling him "what you" would have added? He did it,
>wants to know if you like it or not, not what you would have done
>differently.

The original post stated
"...if you see room for improvement, please let me know."

The artist specifically asked for input on what changes we thought might help
the piece.

You're an idiot, Retardo.

-Paul Segal
Email: aster...@yahoo.com ICQ: 24024819 AIM: asterphage

Best rappers ever:
* "Yuka Honda knows her water - 'Pass the Volvic!'"
* "Miho Hatori, straight out of Purgatory."

Pyre

Jul 18, 2002, 1:25:42 AM7/18/02
Paul Segal wrote:

> You're an idiot, Retardo.

You expect any different from a troll?

Zobovor

Jul 18, 2002, 2:14:21 AM7/18/02
Paul Segal wrote:

>You're an idiot, Retardo.

When we slip by their early warning systems and destroy... ah, it's been done.
Forget it. /:)

R. Tursi

Jul 18, 2002, 2:15:55 AM7/18/02
> That's really really cool! I especially like how the blacks aren't a solid
> black, but fade around like in classical paintings!

Actually, I did not use black at all in the entire painting. You are
right, it's a classical style painting. IE: I painted the entire thing
in browns and let it dry, then went over it with light color washes.
Very little color was used at all. Almost the entire thing is done in
burnt and raw Sienna, Ocre, and umber. (these are the three types of
browns, each having a little bit more of one primary than the other
two) Then a red wash on his red bits, and a blue wash on his arm and
the background. Gives it a nice faded look.

Oh yeah, and I think its a bit late to add a decent background.. I'd
have to re-wash it in probably a yellow ocre, then let it dry, then do
another underpainting, then let it dry again, and then paint in the
color. Oils take a long time to dry.. it wouldn't be dry enough to
make the trip to Botcon if I did all that. I was kinda thinking at
first that too much of a background would take away from Starscream..
although now that I'm looking at it, I think *something* would have
been nice. Oh well, he's my first try, and now that I've got the hang
of painting an anime-ish type character classically, I can probably do
a much better looking painting of another character.... maybe for next
year's contest. It's rather funny, I've never entered the art contests
for these types of conventions because I usually prefer to do original
artwork rather than fanart. But now I'm very excited and I hope to
win! I have to wonder why I've never wanted to enter these things
before :)

-Roe(who's thinkin' a nice big sculpture in clay for next year might
be fun...)

Paul Segal

Jul 18, 2002, 4:16:05 AM7/18/02
Pyre wrote:

>Paul Segal wrote:
>

>> You're an idiot, Retardo.
>>

>You expect any different from a troll?

Retardo is my favorite troll. He doesn't post much; he's usually clever in a
simple, immature way; and he doesn't insult specific ATTers much. I see him as
less a troll than an ATTer who never says anything worthwhile.

Steven Acevedo

Jul 18, 2002, 5:16:51 AM7/18/02
Very good picture, Roe.

Govi, Toa of Truth and Justice

Jul 18, 2002, 6:47:04 AM7/18/02
Wow, that's it, WOW!
--
Thanks for the bandwidth.
Govi, Toa of Truth and Justice

Hitman Pez

Jul 18, 2002, 9:12:04 AM7/18/02

"R. Tursi" <roet...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Very nice. I really wish I could paint like that or at all. I can just
dabble in drawing a little bit, nothing that nice.

Hitman Pez

Mark Brown

Jul 18, 2002, 9:01:05 AM7/18/02
"R. Tursi" <roet...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Trent convinced me to enter the Botcon art contest. I wanted to do
> something... somewhat original. Then it occured to me that not too
> many people have painted TF fanart classical style using oil on
> canvas.
*SNIP*
> http://www.darkmount.com/starscreamoil

Very cool!

Mark
"It looks like there should be. . . ~something~ visible over his shoulder
though, just from the pose."

RICHIE

Jul 18, 2002, 3:08:10 PM7/18/02
Really Nice!!!
Dont change a thing.
Good Luck in the contest!!!

Talk To You Soon,
Richie

R. Tursi

Jul 18, 2002, 9:35:40 PM7/18/02
> Did you do it from memory, by any
> chance?)

I found a screencap of it online, and looked at the screencap while I
was drawing it out in pencil on the canvas.

-Roe

G1 Collector

Jul 18, 2002, 9:45:37 PM7/18/02
Excellent work. btw, how's the cel collecting going?

Ben