Dave's TF Attacktix Rant: Series 2 Starter

Dave Van Domelen

Jan 6, 2008, 5:39:50 PM1/6/08
Dave's Attacktix Rant

Transformers Series 2 Starter

Well, it looks like Attacktix is a dead line, sadly. But a short run of
the Series 2 starters was produced, and has shown up at places like Dollar
General or T.J. Maxx for $5-6. A good deal, given that two of the figures
are recolors.

http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/Artifacts/AttRules - Rulebook
http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/Artifacts/AttS1 - Series 1 Starter

CAPSULE

TF Attacktix S2 Starter: Two new and nifty figures, two okay recolors.
Hard to find, but cheap when you find it in stores. Recommended. $5 at
Dollar General.

RANT

Packaging: Same as Series 1 Starter, but with pictures of Series 2
figures on the back. The rulebook is virtually identical to the Series 1
book. There's different art of Cybertron Prime and Megatron on the cover
(dunno why not G1), the colors are a bit different (blue boxes become gray,
green gets more brownish, etc).
Page 7 is new, explaining Effects and Flight attacks, and showing the
jabber again, since Skyblast was to get recolored in this wave. The
checklist pics on pages 9-10 are new, of course, as is the checklist on the
back cover.
The four figures are twist-tied in with a few rubber bands as well. The
ammo is on a separate tray between the figure tray and the cardboard
backing. Prime and Megatron each get "force blast" large missiles made of
clear plastic, Skywarp gets a blue medium missile, and Landquake is a
prodder.
It's notable that we get two 40 point Leaders and two 30 point Warriors,
a bit more oomph than the Series 1 Starter. However, none of the figures
have a Special that can bring any of the others out, so you can't really
"start" with just this set. Sure, you can pick one Leader and both Warriors
for 100 points, but there's no way to get the other Leader out of your
Backups. Is it too much to ask that they make a Starter that can actually be
used as-is for a standard game, rather than being designed purely for a
no-Backups sub-100-point game? Well, I guess it is, given that the game's
likely dead.

OPTIMUS PRIME
Collector's Number: TF19(2)
Rarity: Fixed
Points: 40
Attacktix Class: Leader
Faction Class: Autobot
Speed: 5-7 (6)
Special: 13 (50%)
Special Ability: Last Stand - Stand up if this was your only figure in play.
Height: 2.75" (7cm)
Base: 5cm
Attack Type: Ranged (Large Missile)

G1 Optimus Prime, with an oversized rifle but otherwise not distorted in
his proportions. He's in a sort of weird squatting/walking pose, holding the
rifle in a slightly bent right arm and with his left arm straight with open
palm (like he's waving "hi").
He looks to be made entirely of red plastics, with dark gray hard
plastic used for the gun and clear yellow plastic for his missile. There's
medium blue paint on helmet, hands and boots. His pelvis and thighs are
silver, and there's silver on the faceplate, smokestacks, upper arms, abdomen
and shin details. There's little bits of yellow paint on his pelvis and
toes, and light blue for eyes and chest windows. The tires on his boots are
black with silver hubcaps. A white Autobot symbol outline is printed on his
left shoulder.
The arms have standard swivel shoulders, and he turns at neck and waist.
The roughly 9g missile fires about 50cm straight up, for a muzzle velocity of
a little over 3 m/s and a maximum momentum of about 25-30 gm/s. This is
better than Series 1 Prime, although it could just be that there's a lot of
variation in spring strength.
Unfortunately, if you hold his left arm horizontal, it looks like he's
backing up and begging you not to shoot...cowardly Prime.

MEGATRON
Collector's Number: TF20(2)
Rarity: Fixed
Points: 40
Attacktix Class: Leader
Faction Class: Decepticon
Speed: 5-7 (6)
Special: 16 (62%)
Special Ability: Recover (Decepticon) - Stand up if you have a Decepticon in
play.
Height: 2.75" (7cm) at head
Base: 5cm
Attack Type: Ranged (Large Missile)

G1 Megatron in a somewhat more aggressive crouch, with right arm
straight out and left arm bent 90 degrees. The arm cannon is a bit
oversized, but he's otherwise not warped.
He seems to be made entirely of slightly metallic gunmetal gray plastic,
with dark gray cannon and clear purple missile. Dark gray paint on his
fists, pelvis and boots. Red on elbows, inner sides of boots, eyes, and
various accents on the torso. A single bit of yellow and a single bit of
white on his abdomen, plus black on the inside of his snarling mouth. Purple
Decepticon symbol printed on his chest.
The right arm swivels mostly along its length, being pointed nearly
parallel to the chest. This means the joint is largely meaningless for
aiming, he can barely change the elevation of his blast. So no cheap base
shots, guys. The other arm swivels normally, and the head and waist turn.
Maximum launch height for the 9g missile is about 45 cm, although I got
several punk-out launches of lower height. Anyway, muzzle speed as good as 3
m/s (a little slower than G1 Prime) for a similar momentum range of 25-30
gm/s.

SKYWARP
Collector's Number: TF21(2)
Rarity: Fixed
Points: 30
Attacktix Class: Warrior
Faction Class: Decepticon
Speed: 5-7 (6)
Special: 8 (31%)
Special Ability: Infiltrate (Captain) - Move this figure to your opponent's
starting area if you have a Captain in play.
Height: 2.5" (6.5cm)
Base: 4.5cm
Attack Type: Ranged (Medium Missile)

Nice special, there. Anyway, this is a recolor of Series 1 Starscream
(Cybertron version), in black plastic. Extensive silver paint on chest,
face, feet and shoulders, dark reddish purple paint on the forearms, hands,
thighs and winglets. Red on the shoulder missiles, yellow on the cockpit
window. He has a standard blue medium missile.
Launch height for the 3g missile is about 1.25m, for a firing speed of
4.9 m/s and an initial momentum of 14-16 gm/s, pretty good striking power.

LANDQUAKE
Collector's Number: TF22(2)
Rarity: Fixed
Point: 30
Attacktix Class: Warrior
Faction Class: Autobot
Speed: 9-11 (10)
Special: 8 (31% and it's all on one side of the dial)
Special Ability: Jam - Launcher figures may not attack for the rest of the
turn
Height: 3" (7.5cm)
Base: 5cm
Attack Type: Melee (Jabbing)

You know, given that most games involve only two actions per turn, Jam
isn't really that useful of a Special.
This is Landmine from Series 1 made from white plastic with a white
prodder claw and very dark gray prodder arm. The thighs, other forearm, face
and shinguard trim are painted black. The helmet is brown. There's dark
blue on the crane, backpack, torso top and abdomen detailing. The hook and
left shoulder flare are light blue. Silver on the abdomen, pelvis, forehead
and shines. The leading edge of the left claw is painted orange.
Same jabbing action as Landmine.

Dave Van Domelen, at least no longer has to try to trade for a set.

Alden Bates

Jan 8, 2008, 7:13:06 PM1/8/08
On Jan 7, 11:39 am, dvan...@haven.eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
> Well, it looks like Attacktix is a dead line, sadly.

Awwww, I had my heart set on an Attacktix Soundwave.

> G1 Megatron in a somewhat more aggressive crouch, with right arm
> straight out and left arm bent 90 degrees. The arm cannon is a bit
> oversized, but he's otherwise not warped.

And man, does he look angry. He looks like he's about to burst a
blood vessel.

Alden