Reflector Tech-pecs?

Gregory Gaub

Nov 4, 1994, 12:40:25 AM11/4/94

Am I the only one on here that ordered Reflector during that offer?
The stat list I got from the site did not include Reflector. Are his
stats so hard to find? Mine came with instructions and the stats in it.
If anyone is interested I could post the stats so whoever is in charge
can put them on the stat list.
Whatever! :)
Greg

Philip Wang

Nov 4, 1994, 8:44:24 PM11/4/94

One question about Reflector. I am not going by cartoon canon because I know
what Reflector is like there. But based on tech specs alone, just what were
the qualifications for those specs? I mean, Reflector seems to me to be the
camera, not the three robots who do actually have names. I'm also under the
impression that those three robots are independent gestalts just like the
Stunticons, Seacons, etc., who merge into one being, but rather than becoming
larger, they become smaller. Are those stats identical for all three robots
(how can a camera have any strength, for instance?) or are they an average for
the three robots? They can't be for the entity Reflector itself, I don't
think.

Philip Wei Hao Wang E:MAIL: pw...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
Bah weep grogna weep nini bong

Mike The Slink Habicher

Nov 7, 1994, 10:45:55 PM11/7/94
In article <39eo1o$a...@apakabar.cc.columbia.edu> pw...@merhaba.cc.columbia.edu (Philip Wang) writes:
>From: pw...@merhaba.cc.columbia.edu (Philip Wang)
>Subject: Re: Reflector Tech-pecs?
>Date: 5 Nov 1994 01:44:24 GMT

>In article <39chg9$7...@CSOS.ORST.EDU>, Gregory Gaub <fl...@CSOS.ORST.EDU> wrote:
>>
>>Am I the only one on here that ordered Reflector during that offer?
>>The stat list I got from the site did not include Reflector. Are his
>>stats so hard to find? Mine came with instructions and the stats in it.
>>If anyone is interested I could post the stats so whoever is in charge
>>can put them on the stat list.
>>Whatever! :)
>>Greg

>One question about Reflector. I am not going by cartoon canon because I know
>what Reflector is like there. But based on tech specs alone, just what were
>the qualifications for those specs? I mean, Reflector seems to me to be the
>camera, not the three robots who do actually have names. I'm also under the
>impression that those three robots are independent gestalts just like the
>Stunticons, Seacons, etc., who merge into one being, but rather than becoming
>larger, they become smaller. Are those stats identical for all three robots
>(how can a camera have any strength, for instance?) or are they an average for
>the three robots? They can't be for the entity Reflector itself, I don't
>think.

Based on what I remember of the TV series, and the single appearance
Reflector actually made in it... all three robots were a single entity.
That is, I seem to recall that whenever they spoke, all three said the same
thing, and that when one acted, the other two did very similar actions.

BTW, as to the demise of Transformers, the original generation... it's real
easy... Hasbro got too carried away with the idea of teams of robots that
united into one big one. ANyone remember the thrill they felt when Megatron
ordered the Constructicons to "MERGE!!!" for the first time?

After Superion, and Menasor, and Bruticus, and Defensor, and Computron, and
Predaking, etc etc... it started to wear a little thin.

Mind you, I always wished that the Dinobots could have united! Now wouldn't
THAT have been a REAL upper hand for the Autobots... :^)

--Mike. :)

>Philip Wei Hao Wang E:MAIL: pw...@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
>Bah weep grogna weep nini bong

Mike "The Slink" Habicher
Cambridge, Ontario -- 623-2508
Year 1 Chemical Engineering
Shad Valley Carleton 1992

HORNSTEIN, STEVEN

Nov 8, 1994, 9:53:59 AM11/8/94

>BTW, as to the demise of Transformers, the original generation... it's real
>easy... Hasbro got too carried away with the idea of teams of robots that
>united into one big one. ANyone remember the thrill they felt when Megatron
>ordered the Constructicons to "MERGE!!!" for the first time?

>After Superion, and Menasor, and Bruticus, and Defensor, and Computron, and
>Predaking, etc etc... it started to wear a little thin.

>Mind you, I always wished that the Dinobots could have united! Now wouldn't
>THAT have been a REAL upper hand for the Autobots... :^)

>--Mike. :)

You forgot stupid ideas like Headmasters. Who ever dreamed up that idiocy?

Steve

Alexander Hart

Nov 8, 1994, 9:10:50 PM11/8/94
: You forgot stupid ideas like Headmasters. Who ever dreamed up that idiocy?

Gee, I liked the Headmasters. The concept didn't really work for
the comic or cartoon, but it was a neat concept for the toys.
Targetmasters and Powermasters were a bit less nifty. Pretenders were
DUMB! So were Action Masters (poseable TFs are cool, but no
transformation? NO WAY!). I thought Micromasters were neat, but they
made TOO MANY of them! And the Micromaster Squads, that you could "mix
'n' match" in vehicle mode were dumb too.
Basically, I feel that the TFs died because Hasbro got carried
away with inventing dumb gimmicks that often hampered the Transformers'
transformation, appearance, etc. And, as someone else said, they started
making too many TFs that transformed into unrecognizable vehicles (like
ALL the Pretenders).
--Alex

Robert A. Jung

Nov 8, 1994, 9:40:23 PM11/8/94
In article <sthornst.5...@zebu.cvm.msu.edu> stho...@zebu.cvm.msu.edu (HORNSTEIN, STEVEN) writes:
>>BTW, as to the demise of Transformers, the original generation... it's real
>>easy... Hasbro got too carried away with the idea of teams of robots that
>>united into one big one. ANyone remember the thrill they felt when Megatron
>>ordered the Constructicons to "MERGE!!!" for the first time?

Oh, good, I'm not the only one. B-) I still get shivers hearing
"Constructicons! Transform, phase one!"

>>After Superion, and Menasor, and Bruticus, and Defensor, and Computron, and
>>Predaking, etc etc... it started to wear a little thin.

The real problem IMO was that the other combiners were lame. The
Constructicons were cool because the individual vehicles/robots actually
formed parts of Devastator. Bruticus and Superion and Menasor et al used the
"one big torso with four small robots hanging off of it" design. The fact
that those teams needed a big/oversized robot for the middle made it worse,
IMO. Predaking was not bad, IMO, if only because Predaking did _not_ look
like a quickly-cobbled-together Combiner.

>You forgot stupid ideas like Headmasters. Who ever dreamed up that idiocy?

Hey, I thought the HeadMasters and the PowerMasters were cool ideas (though
the TargetMasters were a joke IMO). If they had only made the robots smaller,
I would have liked them more. As it is, those oversized clunky plastic things
didn't do the Transformers justice.

--R.J.
B-)

"I write because I am personally amused by what I do, and if other people are
amused by it, then it's fine. If they're not, then that's also fine."
Send mail to rj...@netcom.com --Frank Zappa

Douglas K Vanderhoek

Nov 9, 1994, 2:03:16 AM11/9/94

Another thing that led to their demise, I think, was that the cartoon failed
to give the new characters personalities. The new Movie characters were
interesting enough, but after that, any new characters were just thrown in
as additional troops.
Strange how they were able to give almost all the original group distinct
personalities just in the pilot eps. Too bad they couldn't keep it up.

--

=<Coming to FOX, May 1995: Doctor Who>= Doug Vander Hoek
=<He's back... and it's about time!>= dvh_...@iastate.edu

Douglas K Vanderhoek

Nov 9, 1994, 2:08:25 AM11/9/94

I just remembered something I was pondering today... do you think the
cartoon used strange voice-quirks just to make different characters
recognizeable? A lot easier than developing a true personality. Some
examples I've found:

Blurr: Fast speak
Wheelie: Rhymes (shudder)
Dinobots: Dumb speak
Insecticons: "Delicious, delicious"
Soundwave: Cool monotone thing
Reflector: all say the same thing

Umm... I've got a sound byte in my head, but can't remember who said it:
"Autoautoautobots!"

Anyway, just a theory. Any more examples/comments?

Andrew T Robinson

Nov 9, 1994, 2:47:10 AM11/9/94

HORNSTEIN, STEVEN <stho...@zebu.cvm.msu.edu> wrote:

>>After Superion, and Menasor, and Bruticus, and Defensor, and Computron, and
>>Predaking, etc etc... it started to wear a little thin.
>
>>--Mike. :)
>
>You forgot stupid ideas like Headmasters. Who ever dreamed up that idiocy?
>
>Steve

Personally, what did it for me was the Pretenders (ugh!). I mean they were
robots for g@ds sake!

Or is this all apples an oranges??? :)

Drew
Twin_Twist@TFMUSH

Q. What is Art?

A. What ever sells!

H. Jameel al Khafiz

Nov 9, 1994, 10:54:13 AM11/9/94
dvh_...@iastate.edu (Douglas K Vanderhoek) writes:
> I just remembered something I was pondering today... do you think the
> cartoon used strange voice-quirks just to make different characters
> recognizeable? A lot easier than developing a true personality. Some
> examples I've found:
>
> Blurr: Fast speak
True.
> Wheelie: Rhymes (shudder)
Okay.
> Dinobots: Dumb speak
Now here's where I have to object. First purge your mind of the
comic-relief mockery the Dinobots became in the second season. Then
watch the first season Dinobot episodes, like 'S.O.S. Dinobots,' 'War
of the Dinobots,' and 'Heavy Metal War.' The Dinos weren't just
'speaking dumb,' they were powerful and menacing. They all had
individual personalities, too (except for poor Snarl).
> Insecticons: "Delicious, delicious"
Objection! :-) The Insecticons struck me as extremely mercenary.
That's a personality trait. And Bombshell, at least, was an extremely
evil bastard (see 'Enter the Nightbird' for an example).
> Soundwave: Cool monotone thing
No! Soundwave was the man! He could've ruled the Decepticons had he
wanted to, but he chose to be the coolest right-hand man ever. Think
about it. Anytime Megatron needed something done that wasn't
someone's speciality, who did he go to? Soundwave. Soundwave was an
emotionless Decepticon, too. Personality.

> Reflector: all say the same thing
Well...you got me here :-)

> Umm... I've got a sound byte in my head, but can't remember who said it:
> "Autoautoautobots!"
This sounds like one of my favorites, Mixmaster.
----
H. Jameel al Khafiz I have a killfile now, and I'm not afraid to
Physicist-At-Large use it! Go ahead, make my day....
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/ha09/home

David Filip

Nov 10, 1994, 1:35:28 PM11/10/94

> >Stunticons, Seacons, etc., who merge into one being, but rather than becoming
> >larger, they become smaller. Are those stats identical for all three robots
> >(how can a camera have any strength, for instance?) or are they an average for
> >the three robots? They can't be for the entity Reflector itself, I don't
> >think.

They were showin in a couple episodes, but yeah they looked and
acted very similar.

> Based on what I remember of the TV series, and the single appearance
> Reflector actually made in it... all three robots were a single entity.
> That is, I seem to recall that whenever they spoke, all three said the same
> thing, and that when one acted, the other two did very similar actions.
>
> BTW, as to the demise of Transformers, the original generation... it's real
> easy... Hasbro got too carried away with the idea of teams of robots that
> united into one big one. ANyone remember the thrill they felt when Megatron
> ordered the Constructicons to "MERGE!!!" for the first time?
>
> After Superion, and Menasor, and Bruticus, and Defensor, and Computron, and
> Predaking, etc etc... it started to wear a little thin.

No way...I loved those guys! They always had so many
weapons...besides they were hardly used on the show at all. I always
remember Rodimus saying "shoot at the decepticons" and hotspot would just
say "Right Rodimus". In every episode he appeared in (in the future) he
said that. Only turned into Defensor a couple times (as the others were
only super robots a few times also). I also thought that the 'masters
adn pretenders were the downfall...