(OT) Killfile for Google Groups

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2010, 4:12:06 AM2/22/10
I've found something online which might be of help:

Google Groups Killfile / Filter

Google Groups Killfile (works with Firefox + Greasemonkey):
<http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html>

Google Groups Filter (works with MS Internet Explorer):
<http://holysmoke.org/ggfbho/index.htm>

Not sure if these work completely, your mileage may vary. I've just
tried the Firefox + Greasemonkey variant, and it works okay for me.
Can't see anything by the slackers, and it also gives me options for
"Killing Threads".

I've just killed Deathy's latest thread (sorry Dezarus, but that one
was pretty pointless out of the lot).

As the Junkions would say, "Some assembly required, void where
applicable". Install Firefox, install the Greasemonkey add-on, and
then just install the script from the link up there (when you click on
the .js file, it'll give a pop-up, asking if you want to install it.
Easy-peasy).

Now, I just need to find something that'll work as well on Google
Chrome ('cause as much I like Firefox, Chrome is so much nicer and
lighter).

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2010, 4:33:23 AM2/22/10
Sorry about the double-post.

Well, apparently from version 4.0 onwards, Google Chrome natively
supports javascripts as extensions, but they don't all work. This is
one of them.

I'll keep looking for alternatives. I'm thinking of trying Ad Block's
interface, see if it's flexible enough to hide threads based on users
and suchlike.

But anyway, the Firefox solution is fine. If you're using Internet
Explorer (what's wrong with you anyway), get Firefox, get Greasemonkey
(oh, and get Adblock Plus, it's a great extension, along with
DownThemAll, Download Helper and Better Gmail2), and get that script.

TigerMegatron

Feb 22, 2010, 6:44:39 AM2/22/10
ashan,your a freaking genious,I did what you said,I downloaded all 3
programs even though I already had mozilla firefox already on my
computer.

ashan,thanks to your help,I now see 2 options when using google to
view ATT : (1)KILL thread (2) kill file author.

I access the internet using AOL's web browser & sometimes using the
mozilla firefox browser that is linked to the aol page.

I'm going to sign off mozilla fire fox & see if the "kill thread &
killfile user also works on the seperate AOL browser.
if it does it'll be so awesome.

TigerMegatron

Feb 22, 2010, 6:51:15 AM2/22/10
I'm now signed on the internet solely using the AOL web browser.

I don't see any "kill thread" or killfile user" options

So these kill thread & killfile user options only work for mozilla
fire fox web browser. as is the case AOL user can add the aol front
page,aol,mail,aol bookmarks & AOL stuff to the firefox web browser.

robo_rob

Feb 22, 2010, 6:43:44 PM2/22/10

Dude, you just made my day. I have been stuck with google groups for
Usenet for the past few years and ... the current troll has pretty
much made using ATT impossible... until now :)

WindsorFox<[SS]>

Feb 22, 2010, 6:59:24 PM2/22/10

You know there are *real* news servers out there that are free?

--
.

"Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..." - Mike Holmes

robo_rob

Feb 22, 2010, 7:04:47 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 6:59 pm, "WindsorFox<[SS]>" <windsor.fox.use...@gmail.com>
wrote:

We'll I'd be happy to be pointed to some then :)

WindsorFox<[SS]>

Feb 22, 2010, 7:35:29 PM2/22/10

Dude, seriously... http://tinyurl.com/yh2g6kn

www.aioe.org/
http://www.eternal-september.org/

Both I believe offer filtered servers like Glorb to drastically remove
the amount of spam that you see. If I compare Glorb's filtered server to
google groups that are almost unrecognizable. Some even filter anything
that comes from Google.

robo_rob

Feb 22, 2010, 8:39:18 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 7:35 pm, "WindsorFox<[SS]>" <windsor.fox.use...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> robo_rob wrote:
> > On Feb 22, 6:59 pm, "WindsorFox<[SS]>" <windsor.fox.use...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>     You know there are *real* news servers out there that are free?
>
> >> --
> >> .
>
> >> "Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..."     -    Mike Holmes
>
> > We'll I'd be happy to be pointed to some then :)
>
>    Dude, seriously...  http://tinyurl.com/yh2g6kn
>
> www.aioe.org/http://www.eternal-september.org/

> Both I believe offer filtered servers like Glorb to drastically remove
> the amount of spam that you see. If I compare Glorb's filtered server to
> google groups that are almost unrecognizable. Some even filter anything
> that comes from Google.
>
> --
> .
>
> "Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..."     -    Mike Holmes

Thanks, never occurred to me to even look for something like that. I
just got accustomed to google groups.

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2010, 11:46:16 PM2/22/10

Yes, I am Primus.

But y'know, Google Groups, for all its faults, at least I don't need
to install additional software on my system (which is impossible on
the office thin-client anyway), and I don't need to worry about
additional exceptions in my firewall.

So if there's a way to kill-file in the browser, I'm sure as heck
going to take it.

Zobovor

Feb 23, 2010, 12:22:43 AM2/23/10
On Feb 22, 2:12 am, "ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com"
<ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found something online which might be of help:
>

> Google Groups Filter (works with MS Internet Explorer):
> <http://holysmoke.org/ggfbho/index.htm>

Works like a charm. Thanks, Syed. I haven't been using a killfile
since AOL dropped its newsgroup access about five years ago. I'd
forgotten how useful it was.

Zob

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2010, 12:25:58 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 10:22 am, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> Works like a charm.  Thanks, Syed.  I haven't been using a killfile
> since AOL dropped its newsgroup access about five years ago.  I'd
> forgotten how useful it was.

Hah! Suddenly, everything readable, but I'm down to seeing two or
three threads on each page. Heh-heh, I guess it really was an
infestation.

Who the hell is WindsorFox anyway, I don't remember this guy.

robo_rob

Feb 23, 2010, 1:46:41 AM2/23/10
On Feb 22, 11:46 pm, "ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com"

Yeah, I've gotten pretty accustomed to in browser conversation. To be
honest, the only newsgroup I even read anymore is ATT, so even
bothering to use Outlook or Thunderbird to read a newsgroup is really
more work then I want to put into it. I mean, it's not like my basic
needs of the newsgroup are not met. Good to know there is capable free
news servers out there in case I changed my mind and started using
more groups. Honestly the idea of a free news server never crossed my
mind. It was like "Great, no more news groups...oh google does it
now... ok, I'll use that." and that was it.

Google groups was pretty slow for awhile there though.

Chad Rushing

Feb 23, 2010, 2:59:20 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 12:46 am, robo_rob <r...@tfradio.net> wrote:

> Yeah, I've gotten pretty accustomed to in browser conversation. To be
> honest, the only newsgroup I even read anymore is ATT, so even
> bothering to use Outlook or Thunderbird to read a newsgroup is really
> more work then I want to put into it. I mean, it's not like my basic
> needs of the newsgroup are not met. Good to know there is capable free
> news servers out there in case I changed my mind and started using
> more groups. Honestly the idea of a free news server never crossed my
> mind. It was like "Great, no more news groups...oh google does it
> now... ok, I'll use that." and that was it.

That's pretty much my story, too. I liked being able to login and
read ATT from anywhere using a web browser, so I never bothered
looking for anything else.

- Chad

robo_rob

Feb 23, 2010, 10:58:48 AM2/23/10

Yeah, I like to browse the archives on my cell phone to pass time.

Onslaught Six

Feb 23, 2010, 9:53:12 AM2/23/10
wrote:

> robo_rob wrote:

> > Dude, you just made my day. I have been stuck with google groups for
> > Usenet for the past few years and ... the current troll has pretty
> > much made using ATT impossible... until now :)
>
>     You know there are *real* news servers out there that are free?

But here's the thing--I can't install crap on my work computer.

Onslaught Six

Feb 23, 2010, 9:56:19 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 12:25 am, "ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com"
<ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who the hell is WindsorFox anyway, I don't remember this guy.

Quick looksie shows that he's just somebody who posts on a few
newsgroups that Cypher crossposts to, nothing else.

SteveD

Feb 23, 2010, 2:20:26 PM2/23/10

Tunnel to the home PC?

G.B. Blackrock

Feb 23, 2010, 7:41:04 PM2/23/10

Which also makes this news of a killfile program pretty much useless
(for me, too).

I appreciate the thought, but what really needs to happen is for
Google to grant this basic functionality.

G.B. Blackrock

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2010, 1:10:55 AM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 5:41 am, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Which also makes this news of a killfile program pretty much useless
> (for me, too).
>
> I appreciate the thought, but what really needs to happen is for
> Google to grant this basic functionality.

How come? How d'you access Google Groups?

It's an office PC, and you don't have administrative rights? That is
bad. The IE solution does require you to install another software.

Really should have your office switch to Firefox. Much better, and if
you have forms and things that require IE's rendering engine, install
IE Tab onto Firefox.

G.B. Blackrock

Feb 25, 2010, 12:18:54 PM2/25/10
On Feb 23, 10:10 pm, "ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com"

It's a Mac, not a PC, and of course I don't have administrator
rights. Most staffers in workplaces don't.

As to Firefox... that's what I am using. But again, I can't install
new stuff.

G.B. Blackrock

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2010, 12:32:58 PM2/25/10
On Feb 25, 10:18 pm, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As to Firefox... that's what I am using.  But again, I can't install
> new stuff.

Really? I thought Firefox lets you install add-ons even if you're not
an administrator. It sticks it into your profile, not into any Admin
directories.

G.B. Blackrock

Feb 25, 2010, 5:23:53 PM2/25/10
On Feb 25, 9:32 am, "ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com"

Apparently, even the fact that I'm not on a Mac isn't an issue.

Thanks for sticking with me. It seems to work fine.

G.B. Blackorck

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2010, 9:59:12 PM2/25/10
On Feb 26, 3:23 am, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Apparently, even the fact that I'm not on a Mac isn't an issue.
>
> Thanks for sticking with me.  It seems to work fine.

Ey, congratulations! It's always nice to see things working.

...also known as Thunder

Feb 26, 2010, 12:07:12 AM2/26/10
G.B. Blackrock wrote:
> Apparently, even the fact that I'm not on a Mac isn't an issue.

So...were you on a Mac or a PC? I got confused trying to follow this. :)

t.k.

TigerMegatron

Feb 26, 2010, 12:16:13 AM2/26/10
Thunder, G.B was afraid to install stuff on his work place computer
because it's networked. also because it's got a big brother manager
looking over the whole network.

it seems G.B got around all that & successfully installed the killfile
stuff on his mozillia fire fox & google.

ahsan.sa...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2010, 1:14:25 AM2/26/10

Or maybe he just hasn't installed add-ons on Firefox before. They only
install within the "context" of your session, and most of them are
platform independent (Java-based, which is why Firefox is so slow too).

G.B. Blackrock

Feb 26, 2010, 11:36:33 AM2/26/10
On Feb 25, 9:07 pm, "...also known as Thunder" <decep...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

Fair point. That should have read "the fact that I'm on a Mac" I
don't know how/why that "not" got put in there that time.

G.B. Blackrock

Feb 26, 2010, 11:38:17 AM2/26/10
On Feb 25, 10:14 pm, "ahsan.salahud...@gmail.com"

I hadn't installed add-ons on *this* Firefox (i.e., my work computer)
before. I've done it at home, but since my home computer is a PC for
which I have complete control, and I've had troubles with my work
computer on related issues, I expected more trouble.

G.B. Blackrock