Hasbro / TF collectors conference call

Thylacine 2000

Nov 15, 2004, 1:47:11 PM11/15/04
This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
my quick notes on how it went.

Some questions Hasbro asked us:

-What are your thoughts on Energon, and if you don't like it, why not?

-If you bought 20th Prime, did you have to choose between that and the
'normal' toys?

-Did you buy HOC? Why or why not?

-What would make fans buy Japanese versions of toys instead of Hasbro
versions? Would you like it if the Hasbro website had information
about upcoming Takara releases?

-What would fans like to see in a collector-themed line?

-How important is it to have bios and techspecs on the packaging
itself? Would you like it if the bios now on the website were to be
put onto the packaging?

Now some hints and concepts for the future--bear in mind, before
anyone *WRONGLY* tells you otherwise, that all of these are at this
time just topics for discussion in a conference call, and that
*NOTHING* was guaranteed or stated to be an upcoming product line.

-The Fan's Choice Unproduced Design idea--discussed at OTFCC--is still
a possibility. They're trying to figure out how they'd implement such
a thing.

-What did you think of RobotMasters? Do you think fans would buy them?

-Think of the Star Wars Vintage Collection series, with old-fashioned
packaging and all-new mold updates of vintage characters. Would that
be interesting for Transformers? Would fans be willing to pay more
money than a toy's size point usually gets, if the money went into
extra detailing and features and/or better packaging? (I asked for
clarification--'do you mean *totally* new updates, or things like
RobotMasters which have already been out for months or years, and so
by the time they come out in America the fans would already have had
the chance to buy them for an equal or lesser amount of money?"
Hasbro: "Assume for the moment we're discussing all-new designs.")

-What about Star Wars Unleashed? Would TF fans want immobile "action
shots" of major characters like that? (Universal response was 'no'.
Not a single person involved in the conference call had bought any of
the statues or busts, and nobody seemed to like the possibility of an
Unleashed line.)

-We've noticed that on your surveys, you all spent more money on G1
than on anything else, but that if you add up the categories of BW and
BM then it equals or surpasses G1. What are your thoughts on Beast
Wars and, quote, "in particular," unquote, Beast Machines, in
comparison to more recent lines?

This led to a *LONG*, a wonderfully long, conversation about how
important characters are to Transformers--how people buy toys based on
characterization and good storylines. I have to say that I was very
proud of my fellow participants here--not a single one of them gave
the expected 'ew, yuck, Beast Machines?!' response. Everyone was very
constructive and said that story and character are key.

Sidenote: I felt bad for Hasbro after hearing the way the fans talked
about Energon. I mean... gosh, I believe *everybody* involved in the
call really didn't like Energon at all. Didn't like the toys or the
show. Almost everyone said they either weren't interested in them or
actively disliked them. In fact, I believe I was the only person who
said he *liked* the Energon toys, and even I then went on to say that
I had skipped like 3/4ths of them because none of them represented
characters I cared about and the show had such serious storytelling
problems, most of them probably due to the dub. The word that
*several* people used to describe the Energon cartoon was
"incomprehensible."

-Hasbro: "Okay, we're all with the understanding that good storylines
and personalities are what make characters memorable and make you want
to buy them. Thinking back to BW and BM, the flipside of having
detailed storylines and personalities means fewer characters, which
means we might have to go with multiple pricepoint versions of the
same character again. Tell us your feelings on that." Generally a
mixed response.

-Hasbro: "If we're going to revive and update old characters, how
strictly do we have to stick to what they were in the past? Does
Optimus Prime always have to be a red truck, or would you guys be
interested in him as a jet or a motorcycle?"
(Gosh, what do you THINK was the answer to that.)

More later as I remember it.
Thylacine2000 is online now Edit/Delete Message

Tony Ko

Nov 15, 2004, 2:06:40 PM11/15/04
man, I wish I was a part of that discussion...:-/

"Thylacine 2000" <thytw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

cable

Nov 15, 2004, 2:56:27 PM11/15/04
That's very interesting stuff. I'm glad they seem to be open to the idea of
using old G1 characters again instead of using characters with the same name
and look over and over again.

>-Think of the Star Wars Vintage Collection series, with old-fashioned
>packaging and all-new mold updates of vintage characters. Would that
>be interesting for Transformers? Would fans be willing to pay more
>money than a toy's size point usually gets, if the money went into
>extra detailing and features and/or better packaging? (I asked for
>clarification--'do you mean *totally* new updates, or things like
>RobotMasters which have already been out for months or years, and so
>by the time they come out in America the fans would already have had
>the chance to buy them for an equal or lesser amount of money?"
>Hasbro: "Assume for the moment we're discussing all-new designs."

Isn't this what the reissues and Alternators are for? Or are they talking about
updating another older line?

__
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
http://atomixcable.staghosting.com/

Message has been deleted

Metro Rail Refugee

Nov 15, 2004, 6:20:45 PM11/15/04
I think most of the stuff is just DUH. Hasbro should network with
Takara a lot more regularly and push the import G1 reissues in the
U.S. There was a online collectors club back in the Beast days and
among things available were BW2 Galavatron and LioConvoy. Maybe Hasbro
just forgot about it or they have new people working in the department
since the Beast Wars staff shifted, who knows really.

And about the Optimus Prime question, whether he should be another
vehicle. If you look at Cybertron/Galaxy Force Prime one of his alt
modes is a jet!

M Sipher

Nov 15, 2004, 6:32:17 PM11/15/04
"Metro Rail Refugee" <mfks...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I think most of the stuff is just DUH. Hasbro should network with
> Takara a lot more regularly

Errrr... Armada/Energon/Cybertron are all joint Hasbro/Takara productions,
created with both companies' markets in mind.

> and push the import G1 reissues in the
> U.S.

If TRU ended up with exclusive rights, then there's not much to be done, now
is there? You don't piss off TRU.

> There was a online collectors club back in the Beast days and
> among things available were BW2 Galavatron and LioConvoy. Maybe Hasbro
> just forgot about it or they have new people working in the department
> since the Beast Wars staff shifted, who knows really.

Or there really hasn't been all that much unique Takara TF product since
Armada to really justify it, especially since the TF brand is doing so hot
that they can put what few extra molds come out as store exclusives or even
just part of the regular line.

> And about the Optimus Prime question, whether he should be another
> vehicle. If you look at Cybertron/Galaxy Force Prime one of his alt
> modes is a jet!

Optimus Prime is a bad example for that kind of situation, frankly.

M "Try A Second-Tier Character Instead" Sipher
--
King Weasel Productions
Home of the productions of King Weasel!

Onslaught Six

Nov 15, 2004, 7:51:40 PM11/15/04
ica...@aol.combiner (cable) wrote in message news:<20041115145627...@mb-m21.aol.com>...

> Isn't this what the reissues and Alternators are for? Or are they talking about
> updating another older line?

From what I gathered, it's more along the lines of ALTs except without
the liscensing problems. Similar to Robot Masters, in fact.

Ramen Junkie

Nov 15, 2004, 8:02:33 PM11/15/04
"Thylacine 2000" <thytw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
> of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
> us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
> my quick notes on how it went.
>
> Some questions Hasbro asked us:
>
> -Did you buy HOC? Why or why not?

No, I don't care for PVCs, they were probably hard to find.

> -What would make fans buy Japanese versions of toys instead of Hasbro
> versions? Would you like it if the Hasbro website had information
> about upcoming Takara releases?

Special accessories. The idiotic mindset that "anything from Japan is
automatically superior". Free stale gum.

> -What would fans like to see in a collector-themed line?

Alternators.

> -How important is it to have bios and techspecs on the packaging
> itself? Would you like it if the bios now on the website were to be
> put onto the packaging?

I don't care. The ards are kind ofcool, but I don't really do anything with
them.

PS, I realize you were not looking for answers.

> -What did you think of RobotMasters? Do you think fans would buy them?

It's basically Universe for Japan anyway. Not too many new molds.

> -Think of the Star Wars Vintage Collection series, with old-fashioned
> packaging and all-new mold updates of vintage characters. Would that
> be interesting for Transformers? Would fans be willing to pay more
> money than a toy's size point usually gets, if the money went into
> extra detailing and features and/or better packaging? (I asked for
> clarification--'do you mean *totally* new updates, or things like
> RobotMasters which have already been out for months or years, and so
> by the time they come out in America the fans would already have had
> the chance to buy them for an equal or lesser amount of money?"
> Hasbro: "Assume for the moment we're discussing all-new designs.")

Isn't Alternators allready doing this, more or less. I guess hey don't use
Vintage packaging.

> -What about Star Wars Unleashed? Would TF fans want immobile "action
> shots" of major characters like that? (Universal response was 'no'.
> Not a single person involved in the conference call had bought any of
> the statues or busts, and nobody seemed to like the possibility of an
> Unleashed line.)

Busts and statues tend ot be too expensive.

> -We've noticed that on your surveys, you all spent more money on G1
> than on anything else, but that if you add up the categories of BW and
> BM then it equals or surpasses G1. What are your thoughts on Beast
> Wars and, quote, "in particular," unquote, Beast Machines, in
> comparison to more recent lines?

They should consider how many people pay too much for thier G1 stuff on
eBay.

--
Ramen Junkie

http://www.lameazoid.com

starscream7

Nov 15, 2004, 9:01:07 PM11/15/04
<Snip>

I'll just reply via topic here.

G1

-I really don't care anymore, yeah it has sentimental and nostalgic value,
but I have all the units I want, and I won't complain about the prices I
paid for stuff that I do have. With the exception of my authentic G1
Starscream, I paid around $50.00 for every unit thanks to Necrotron.

-I am glad that there are still fans out there willing to carry the
reissues, but lets keep it real here. With as many fans out there that have
said they like articulation/pose ability, unfortunately with very few
exception G1 doesn't have it. I for one would like to see more new reissues,
instead of the same old thing and case after case of it cause the people at
TRU don't know how to order stuff. And there are just cases upon cases of
the reissues floating around (at least at my local TRU)

Alternators

-I love these toys - while with the exception of MP Prime/20th Prime, none
of the toys are updated version of their older self. For this I am happy.
Though I will admit I was miffed when the WRXs didn't come with the missile
launchers initially. (PS if anyone out there knows of someone casting these
things I would love to get several)

-The units very much so resemble their 80s counterparts, in color, and
transformation feel. I am just so glad they are updated with newer vehicle
modes.

-These guys are something that Necrotron and I discussed at length several
years ago. Well mostly, re-designing the old characters, with the new tech
for articulation, and updating the superstructure of their vehicle modes.
(Don't get me wrong my MP prime sits proudly on my shelf, and I admire my
Peter Cullen autographed MP prime box on a regular basis.)

Robot Masters

-They look cool, and I have to get the Starscream, well cause it's the
screamer. Other than that I don't know much about them - other than what I
have seen in pictures. A size comparison would be useful.

Beast Wars

-Yeah loved it to the bitter/sweet end. Dinobot is the coolest. Ok and so is
Silverbolt. BW was the first series where (ok so it was the only series
since the G1 cartoon to have aired) I didn't find myself revolving around
Primal and Megs. Maybe it was the maturity kicking in, or jus the fact that
they had a great story. (Disclaimer: I am a huge fan of CGI stuff) The fact
it was all CGI animation helped - for me at least. Japanimation was cool
back in the day but now that it's become commonplace, I can do w/o it.

RID

-While it was a bit unusual the story was not bad, the animation was overly
done to the pan and scan effect, and the toys were very cool. I wouldn't
mind seeing more of this style animation.

Armada

-The kids were lame (glad they didn't make it to the toys) the minicons were
a great idea, though some toys were over burdened with gimmicks for the
minicons.

Energon

-Overkill. Continuing a story that was already dull from the beginning was
not a good idea. Spike, and his dad (yeah my bad can't remember dad's name)
were ok to have in the story, as they weren't in EVERY episode.

Collectors Line

-I kind of thought that this is what Universe, Alternators, and the G1
Reissues were. This question that Hasbro asked makes me wonder if they
really know what's going on out here in the real world. If not - then it's a
good idea that they asked.

Overall Post

-I must say I am glad that it would seem there was actual constructive
criticism given to Hasbro as opposed to the standard (truck no monkey, no
kids, no cgi, do what Takara does response)

-I think that what the Transformers Fandom fails to realize as a whole, or
at the very minimum there is a vocal few who just rant to cause dissention;
the wonderful thing is that there is something for everyone in transformers.
What a few don't like this time around - is someone else's bread and butter,
then it will probably flip later.

-Starscream7
(sorry for the unusually long post)

Doug Dlin

Nov 15, 2004, 9:19:31 PM11/15/04
On Nov. 15, 2004, Thylacine 2000 wrote:

> This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
> of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
> us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
> my quick notes on how it went.

My first note: You lucky bastiches. :-) Dunno what Hasbro's selection
process was for this call, but I'm sorry I wasn't a part of it. Well,
better late than never--I'll just respond as I would have if I'd been there.

> Some questions Hasbro asked us:
>
> -What are your thoughts on Energon, and if you don't like it, why not?

Some good toy designs, some really awkward/disappointing designs.
Better art and packaging than before. The cartoon, though, fails as a
companion marketing vehicle owing to its various flaws, a lot of which
can be blamed on rushed dubbing and accompanying lack of
script-checking/editing.

> -If you bought 20th Prime, did you have to choose between that and the
> 'normal' toys?

Yes, but only until my wallet recovered. I allow myself only just so
much per month for luxury items like TFs, and 20th Prime, as a
high-ticket item, bit into that budget more than most such purchases.

> -Did you buy HOC? Why or why not?

Only one or two. They were barely available in my area, and even if
they'd been more prevalent, I'm not really into PVC figurines in
general, much less of TFs. Their price, while not totally unreasonable,
wasn't low enough to overcome my lack of enthusiasm and make them
worthwhile impulse buys.

> -What would make fans buy Japanese versions of toys instead of Hasbro
> versions?

More often than not, a "grass is always greener on the other side of the
fence" mentality. Japan's versions are often marketed after they have
time to adjust color schemes to match the TV show, or they have more
diecast metal, or the packaging and presentation are more elaborate.
Some fans find any or all of these elements worth the extra cost of a
Japanese version, some don't.

> Would you like it if the Hasbro website had information
> about upcoming Takara releases?

Would you like me to provide translations? :-)

> -What would fans like to see in a collector-themed line?

For my money, Alternators-level product but with the BinalTech level of
packaging and presentation--full booklets including bios, backstory, and
so forth.

> -How important is it to have bios and techspecs on the packaging
> itself? Would you like it if the bios now on the website were to be
> put onto the packaging?

Fairly important, and yes. I'd also like it if the bios were available
more in synch with the product release schedule. The cartoon's
presentation of the toys as characters isn't working nearly as well as
it should, so your main venue for presenting TFs as more than neat
pieces of plastic is the bios/tech specs. The two support each other,
in a way, even if they contradict each other, because even if a buyer
doesn't have access to one version of a character, he or she at least
has the other.

> -The Fan's Choice Unproduced Design idea--discussed at OTFCC--is still
> a possibility. They're trying to figure out how they'd implement such
> a thing.

Hmm...was it announced what the idea was? And how (un)feasible it was
as things currently stand?

> -What did you think of RobotMasters? Do you think fans would buy them?

Would they? They ARE buying them! The RM figures blew out like paper
cups in a hurricane at OTFCC. The trick is, if you decide to market
them over here, will there still be enough potential buyers who don't
have them by that time to support the line domestically?

> -Think of the Star Wars Vintage Collection series, with old-fashioned
> packaging and all-new mold updates of vintage characters. Would that
> be interesting for Transformers?

It could be, yes. The idea sounds good in principle, but I'd reserve
solid judgment until hearing more details of potential execution. How
would this differ from Alternators or Robot Masters, for instance, aside
from packaging? And if you're just talking about importing RMs, again,
we have the problem I mentioned before of much of the potential market
having already bought the line by import.

> Would fans be willing to pay more
> money than a toy's size point usually gets, if the money went into
> extra detailing and features and/or better packaging?

Depends on the specific detailing, features, and packaging improvements,
but on the whole, I'd say yes.

> -What about Star Wars Unleashed? Would TF fans want immobile "action
> shots" of major characters like that?

No. Some fans go for the Hard Hero busts and such, and this might be a
cheaper way of getting such things, but as someone who didn't go for the
PVCs, this would only be a more expensive version of the same to me.

> -We've noticed that on your surveys, you all spent more money on G1
> than on anything else, but that if you add up the categories of BW and
> BM then it equals or surpasses G1. What are your thoughts on Beast
> Wars and, quote, "in particular," unquote, Beast Machines, in
> comparison to more recent lines?

Both lines had a more solid feel of characterization for the toys than
the ones of the last couple of years. Engineering has improved in many
ways since then, but some Armada toys, for instance, felt like a step
backwards, and I never got that feeling with BW or BMach. BMach had its
problems in terms of a story that was too dark and mishandling of
established characters, but was still of decent quality. And it's only
because BW did such a great job with the characters that we cared enough
to complain when we felt they'd been mishandled, so the era on the whole
gets a big thumbs up.

> Sidenote: I felt bad for Hasbro after hearing the way the fans talked
> about Energon. I mean... gosh, I believe *everybody* involved in the
> call really didn't like Energon at all. Didn't like the toys or the
> show.

See, here I'd have been on your side. I like many of the toys. Not all
of them, but a lot, and I've bought enough so far to prove it. My main
reasons for not buying more are that budget and availability haven't
synched up very well for the last several months, and even when they
have, I haven't been enthusiastic enough about the individual characters
to put my money towards all of them. My enthusiasm is left to depend on
physical designs only, and that will only encourage me to make impulse
buys just so much.

> -Hasbro: "Okay, we're all with the understanding that good storylines
> and personalities are what make characters memorable and make you want
> to buy them. Thinking back to BW and BM, the flipside of having
> detailed storylines and personalities means fewer characters, which
> means we might have to go with multiple pricepoint versions of the
> same character again. Tell us your feelings on that." Generally a
> mixed response.

I have mixed feelings about it myself. On the one hand, I like the idea
of so many diverse characters and designs being available, but good,
solid characterization made multiple pricepoint versions of characters
tolerable, especially when those multiple versions were so diverse in
and of themselves. I would hope that it would at least assure us that
if multiple toys in a particular year's line were named "Prowl," they
would all be the SAME Prowl, just in upgraded forms.

> -Hasbro: "If we're going to revive and update old characters, how
> strictly do we have to stick to what they were in the past? Does
> Optimus Prime always have to be a red truck, or would you guys be
> interested in him as a jet or a motorcycle?"
> (Gosh, what do you THINK was the answer to that.)

MY answer would be that he doesn't have to be a red truck per se, but
for Prime (as opposed to Primal), a dominantly red and blue color scheme
are definitely key recognition factors, as well as just an attractive
combination on the shelf. Aside from that, as long as he's a large,
dominating presence, his alternate mode isn't quite as important. WAR
WITHIN Prime is more like an APC or tank than a truck, certainly nothing
like the familiar semi, but he still FEELS like a Prime visually. The
various Primals/beast Convoys have been a gorilla, a lion, and a
mammoth--all large, powerful beings with a sense of majesty to them.
They've had varying degrees of red and blue and none have been trucks
(not even Optimal Optimus' vehicle mode), but they've still had enough
"Prime" elements in their designs to feel like part of that group, at
least to me.

So, would that have gone with the general tone of the call? Would I
have been out of line? Or would I just have been shouted down so
someone else could have a turn to speak? :-)

Doug Dlin
apcog at hotmail.com

Gustavo Wombat

Nov 15, 2004, 9:27:27 PM11/15/04
thytw...@hotmail.com (Thylacine 2000) wrote in message news:<44ac6dd8.04111...@posting.google.com>...

> -What would make fans buy Japanese versions of toys instead of Hasbro
> versions? Would you like it if the Hasbro website had information
> about upcoming Takara releases?

I assume someone mentioned the piss-poor distribution this year...

> -What about Star Wars Unleashed? Would TF fans want immobile "action
> shots" of major characters like that? (Universal response was 'no'.
> Not a single person involved in the conference call had bought any of
> the statues or busts, and nobody seemed to like the possibility of an
> Unleashed line.)

But we have dogs. If they were to do a RID Bruticus Unleashed statue,
I would buy it for the packaging alone, provided they kept him in
Beast Mode -- or better yet, just beginning to transform from Beast
Mode.

> Sidenote: I felt bad for Hasbro after hearing the way the fans talked
> about Energon. I mean... gosh, I believe *everybody* involved in the
> call really didn't like Energon at all. Didn't like the toys or the
> show. Almost everyone said they either weren't interested in them or
> actively disliked them. In fact, I believe I was the only person who
> said he *liked* the Energon toys, and even I then went on to say that
> I had skipped like 3/4ths of them because none of them represented
> characters I cared about and the show had such serious storytelling
> problems, most of them probably due to the dub. The word that
> *several* people used to describe the Energon cartoon was
> "incomprehensible."

I've been loving it. I don't know about the rest of the fandom, but I
think these are some of the best toys we've gotten in ages -- except
for the Mega Autobots, who are all deeply lacking.

And the cartoon is quite adequate, at least the WPP sub of Superlink
is.

> -Hasbro: "Okay, we're all with the understanding that good storylines
> and personalities are what make characters memorable and make you want
> to buy them. Thinking back to BW and BM, the flipside of having
> detailed storylines and personalities means fewer characters, which
> means we might have to go with multiple pricepoint versions of the
> same character again. Tell us your feelings on that." Generally a
> mixed response.

> -Hasbro: "If we're going to revive and update old characters, how
> strictly do we have to stick to what they were in the past? Does
> Optimus Prime always have to be a red truck, or would you guys be
> interested in him as a jet or a motorcycle?"
> (Gosh, what do you THINK was the answer to that.)

Optimus Prime as a lobster! I want Lobster Prime!

M Sipher

Nov 15, 2004, 10:22:20 PM11/15/04
"Doug Dlin" <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Nov. 15, 2004, Thylacine 2000 wrote:
>
> > This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
> > of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
> > us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
> > my quick notes on how it went.
>
> My first note: You lucky bastiches. :-) Dunno what Hasbro's selection
> process was for this call, but I'm sorry I wasn't a part of it.

Extensive spending on G1/BW/BM seems to be a running theme.

> > -What did you think of RobotMasters? Do you think fans would buy them?
>
> Would they? They ARE buying them!

Which ones? The new molds are being blown out, yes indeed. But the old
molds? I didn't see too many of them being carried off at OTFCC... and they
don't seem to be selling out online, unlike the new guys...

M "Subtle Diff" Sipher

Doug Dlin

Nov 15, 2004, 11:35:04 PM11/15/04
On Nov. 15, 2004, M Sipher wrote:

> "Doug Dlin" <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Nov. 15, 2004, Thylacine 2000 wrote:
>>
>>>This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
>>>of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
>>>us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
>>>my quick notes on how it went.
>>
>>My first note: You lucky bastiches. :-) Dunno what Hasbro's selection
>>process was for this call, but I'm sorry I wasn't a part of it.
>
> Extensive spending on G1/BW/BM seems to be a running theme.

Curse me and my lack of completionism, then--or my poor sense of
spending calculation.

>>>-What did you think of RobotMasters? Do you think fans would buy them?
>>
>>Would they? They ARE buying them!
>

> Which ones? The new molds are being blown out, yes indeed. But the old
> molds? I didn't see too many of them being carried off at OTFCC... and they
> don't seem to be selling out online, unlike the new guys...

Point there, too, but the new-mold ones were indeed selling fast, and
since Hasbro's angle was toward newer items, it's likely they would
focus on these if they thought to pick up the line at all--or so I would
hope would be the advice they'd get.

XGrimlock2002

Nov 15, 2004, 11:33:18 PM11/15/04
(1)I don't care about bio's or tech specs on the TF toy packaging. the cartoon
& comics provide with the toy persona info.
Geez why go through all that extra hassle & extra spending money on card board.

I'd prefer no bio's/no tech specs & put more money towards the TF toy.

(2)Hasbro asked if releasing 20TH Prime made fans spending TF budget exspensive
this year. I'm one of the lucky ones with a high paying job. I could have
bought 2 20th primes but I dis-liked the over-all toy.
one 20th prime was enough for me. i've been a TF fan since 1985. spending $60
on 20th Prime was well worth it.

XGrimlock2002

Nov 15, 2004, 11:36:43 PM11/15/04
Metro wrote:"And about the Optimus Prime question, whether he should be
anothervehicle. If you look at Cybertron/Galaxy Force Prime one of his alt
modes is a jet!

GF/C Optimus Prime has one alt mode & it's a fire truck.

Desperado00

Nov 16, 2004, 12:43:42 AM11/16/04

That has a space-flight mode capabilities. Do your research, Deathy.
-----

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

An egotist is a self-made man who worships his creator.

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

No horse is too dead to beat.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 16, 2004, 6:15:07 AM11/16/04
"Thylacine 2000" <thytw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
> of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
> us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
> my quick notes on how it went.

Eeek more reasons to wish I had gone to OTFCC. Not that I would
have been selected for this, but just because I could have filled out
a survey.

> -Hasbro: "If we're going to revive and update old characters, how
> strictly do we have to stick to what they were in the past? Does
> Optimus Prime always have to be a red truck, or would you guys be
> interested in him as a jet or a motorcycle?"
> (Gosh, what do you THINK was the answer to that.)

It would have been funnier if thay had asked about Megatron.
Just kidding. ^_- Did anyone mention The War Witin?

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Ethan Hammond

Nov 16, 2004, 6:17:37 AM11/16/04
"Metro Rail Refugee" <mfks...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I think most of the stuff is just DUH. Hasbro should network with
> Takara a lot more regularly and push the import G1 reissues in the
> U.S. There was a online collectors club back in the Beast days and
> among things available were BW2 Galavatron and LioConvoy. Maybe Hasbro
> just forgot about it or they have new people working in the department
> since the Beast Wars staff shifted, who knows really.

I heard retailers got mad at Hasbro for selling stuff without
involving them.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 16, 2004, 6:18:45 AM11/16/04
"M Sipher" <msi...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

> > And about the Optimus Prime question, whether he should be another
> > vehicle. If you look at Cybertron/Galaxy Force Prime one of his alt
> > modes is a jet!
>
> Optimus Prime is a bad example for that kind of situation, frankly.

Grimlock is already a car in Alternators so the point is
kind of moot I agree. I mean Starscream could be
an Alternator car as well, if they wanted.

Aaron F. Bourque

Nov 16, 2004, 7:39:13 AM11/16/04
From: "Ramen Junkie" Just_Reply@To_The_Post.com

>> -Think of the Star Wars Vintage Collection series, with old

>> -fashioned packaging and all-new mold updates of vintage

>> characters. Would that be interesting for Transformers?
>> Would fans be willing to pay more money than a toy's size
>> point usually gets, if the money went into extra detailing
>> and features and/or better packaging? (I asked for
>> clarification--'do you mean *totally* new updates, or things
>> like RobotMasters which have already been out for months
>> or years, and so by the time they come out in America
>> the fans would already have had the chance to buy them
>> for an equal or lesser amount of money?" Hasbro:
>> "Assume for the moment we're discussing all-new
>> designs.")
>
>Isn't Alternators allready doing this, more or less.

I think they mean alt-mode homages, too, without necessarily
having to pay licensing fees. Like a Megatron tank (since he
can't ever be a gun again) or Shockwave as a satellite (if he
can't be a space gun), or Grimlock as a dinosuar.

IOW, judging from other questions about MP Prime, I think
they're testing fan reaction to a Masterpiece-like sub-line
without saying so, because remember Machine Wars.

>> -We've noticed that on your surveys, you all spent more
>> money on G1 than on anything else, but that if you add up
>> the categories of BW and BM then it equals or surpasses
>> G1. What are your thoughts on Beast Wars and, quote,
>> "in particular," unquote, Beast Machines, in comparison to
>> more recent lines?
>
>They should consider how many people pay too much for
>thier G1 stuff on eBay.

I think they're trying to figure out what it is about fans,
particularly, that leads them to like G1 and that beast crap.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; since, with kids, it was
that "aminals are cool."

--
God saves and man sins
But the tragedy comes when

JSimmons81

Nov 16, 2004, 12:09:07 PM11/16/04
In article <44ac6dd8.04111...@posting.google.com>,
thytw...@hotmail.com (Thylacine 2000) writes:

>This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
>of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
>us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
>my quick notes on how it went.

It's not fair that they only asked people who went to OTFCC04. They should have
put the survey up on their website so that ALL the fans could answer the
questions, not just the people who went to OTFC04....

Mark Brown

Nov 16, 2004, 12:26:16 PM11/16/04
"Thylacine 2000" <thytw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
*SNIP*

> -Hasbro: "Okay, we're all with the understanding that good storylines
> and personalities are what make characters memorable and make you want
> to buy them. Thinking back to BW and BM, the flipside of having
> detailed storylines and personalities means fewer characters,
*SNIP*

*thinks*

Not necessarily. . .

G1 had a ginormous cast, and had a huge number of distinctive, interesting
characters. So how'd they do it? G1 wasn't just a show, it was a few
different comic series as well.

The trick is to give even the one-episode cameos & background characters
fully-developed personalities. If we run into, say, G1 Cliffjumper
commanding a cargo ship that drops off needed supplies in one episode, give
him a good line or three to illustrate his personality. Have him tell a
joke, or make a veiled reference to past events, or share a significant
glance with another character (*). Because we'll be seeing his ship, and
making reference to him, in the future. Series have continuity and context,
so let's ~use~ them!

Hasbro could coordinate more with DW (or whomever); the characters that
don't get much screentime on the show could be the core cast of the comics.
Think of Ichikawa-san's Micron Legend DVD comics, but done as the main comic
line.

Give the toys the same character bios that are in the series bible --and set
up a liason/editor/coordinator to ensure that everything's kept current
(character-wise) between the comic characters and the tooniverse (just so we
won't end up with a comic-version Soundwave versus toon-version Soundwave
problem).

(*) Oh, look; Cliffjumper's techspec bio says that he served under Red Alert
on Cybertron. The other character he traded a glance with ~also~ worked with
Red Alert (as per his own bio). It's the little things that raise this from
just a bunch of cool-looking robots to an actual cohesive universe.

But yeah, it all comes back to having good writers.

Mark
"Doing what I can to shore up my chosen career path. . ."

Thunder v.2.0.0.4

Nov 16, 2004, 12:43:43 PM11/16/04
Well, it's just another one of those convention exclusives you hear so
much about... ;)

t.k.

Pyre

Nov 16, 2004, 12:56:23 PM11/16/04
Ramen Junkie wrote:

> Isn't Alternators allready doing this, more or less.

No. The point of Alternators is licensed 1:24 scale cars that turn into
robots. Them being G1 characters is a bonus. I think what Hasbro means
is talking about here is something along the lines of the Star Wars OTC
Vintage figures that were released recently. New sculpts based on the
old using current tech (articulation and such). Sideswipe would still
have his G1 form but he'd be poseable like current toys. Like 20th
prime and RM Starscream.

--
Pyre[Rock] - pyres...@crosswinds.net
http://pyresdomain.crosswinds.net/

M Sipher

Nov 16, 2004, 1:28:13 PM11/16/04
"JSimmons81" <jsimm...@aol.com> wrote in message

I've seen this complaint pop up a lot, and frankly it confuses me.

Hasbro was interested in the opinions of the more hardcore older collectors.
RE-read the post, especially the part about ...

*****

-We've noticed that on your surveys, you all spent more money on G1
than on anything else, but that if you add up the categories of BW and
BM then it equals or surpasses G1.

*****

They're after the people who spend a lot of money on this shit, on OLDER
shit; that's whose opinions they were after for these questions. They're
looking at stuff aimed at a much more specific group of people.

WHAT BETTER cross-section could they possibly hope for than the people who
spend the money to come to a godsdamned Transformers convention?!

And frankly, the "not fair" complaint says a lot to me.

M "It Says 'Why Not Me?'" Sipher

XGrimlock2002

Nov 16, 2004, 2:07:54 PM11/16/04
Pyre wrote:" Sideswipe would still
have his G1 form but he'd be poseable like current toys. Like 20th prime and
RM Starscream."

Dude that's impossible for Hasbro+Takara to do. Diaclone Transformers were
liscensed cars+etc... Sideswipe can't have his G-1 Car or bot form because his
diaclone car was a Lamborgini.

Desperado00

Nov 16, 2004, 2:34:19 PM11/16/04
>Dude that's impossible for Hasbro+Takara to do. Diaclone Transformers were
>liscensed cars+etc... Sideswipe can't have his G-1 Car or bot form because
>his
>diaclone car was a Lamborgini.

They were based on real-life vehicles, yes, but they were not officially
licensed merchandise.

Pyre

Nov 16, 2004, 2:54:57 PM11/16/04
XGrimlock2002 wrote:

> Dude that's impossible for Hasbro+Takara to do. Diaclone Transformers were
> liscensed cars+etc... Sideswipe can't have his G-1 Car or bot form because his
> diaclone car was a Lamborgini.

They seem to be able to get away with it for the G1 reissue. RiD Prowl
didn't seem to have any problems.

David Willis

Nov 16, 2004, 3:58:29 PM11/16/04

"M Sipher" <msi...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Especially since transformers.com HAS done a freakin' online survey. Geez!

--David
OH NO ANOTHER SURVEY THAT IS TARGETED SLIGHTLY DIFFERENTLY.
www.itswalky.com

Aaron F. Bourque

Nov 16, 2004, 3:58:45 PM11/16/04
From: "Mark Brown" mark....@cyberus.ca

>G1 had a ginormous cast, and had a huge number of
>distinctive, interesting characters. So how'd they do it?

By focusing on a small number of that cast.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; also: by having at least
one person coming up with weird throwaway characters with
strange elements of technical writing in their descriptions.

Aaron F. Bourque

Nov 16, 2004, 4:02:54 PM11/16/04
From: "M Sipher" msi...@nc.rr.com

>"JSimmons81" <jsimm...@aol.com> wrote in message

>m23.aol.com...
>
>> In article
>> <44ac6dd8.04111...@posting.google.com>,
>> thytw...@hotmail.com (Thylacine 2000) writes:
>>
>> >This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call
>> >with a group of 6-9 members of the TF collector
>> >community. They made contact with us based upon the
>> >surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
>> >my quick notes on how it went.
>>
>> It's not fair that they only asked people who went to
>> OTFCC04.

>And frankly, the "not fair" complaint says a lot to me.

>M "It Says 'Why Not Me?'" Sipher

Yeah. However, the 6-9 members of the collector community
is a pretty small cross-section. It's less than 1% at the most.
If I were a Hasbro employee asked to do something like this, I'd want to have
more than one conference call, either with a
mixed or completely new group of different people.

It might have alleviated the "EnRjohn SuXX0R5 d00d!!!" thing
Thy mentioned.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; but what do I know,
maybe they are gonna do that anyway.

M Sipher

Nov 16, 2004, 4:11:20 PM11/16/04
"Aaron F. Bourque" <aaronb...@aol.comdotaolat> wrote in message

> From: "Mark Brown" mark....@cyberus.ca
>
> >G1 had a ginormous cast, and had a huge number of
> >distinctive, interesting characters. So how'd they do it?
>
> By focusing on a small number of that cast.
>
> Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; also: by having at least
> one person coming up with weird throwaway characters with
> strange elements of technical writing in their descriptions.

To its credit, G1 did have a fair few episodes that basically focused on a
single character. They might not have been real deep (like, say, your "Hoist
Goes Hollywood"s or "Money Is Everything"s), but it did briefly shift the
focus away from your Primes and Megatrons.

I think we can find a middle ground between G1's large and fairly one-note
cast and BW's small but fairly deep cast.

M "It Seems, Also, That Bringing The Cartoon Writing Back In The Hands Of
US/Can/UK Writers Was Proposed... By The Fans, Yes, But Still... I Heartily
Agree" Sipher

M Sipher

Nov 16, 2004, 4:18:04 PM11/16/04

> From: "M Sipher" msi...@nc.rr.com
>
> Yeah. However, the 6-9 members of the collector community
> is a pretty small cross-section. It's less than 1% at the most.
> If I were a Hasbro employee asked to do something like this, I'd want to
have
> more than one conference call, either with a
> mixed or completely new group of different people.

More people were contacted about it than actually got to be in the
conference, and Hasbro's indicated that future conferences are a distinct
possibilty.

M "And It's Not Like They Don't Still Have The Surveys" Sipher

Aaron F. Bourque

Nov 16, 2004, 4:47:49 PM11/16/04
From: "M Sipher" msi...@nc.rr.com

>> Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; also: by having at
>> least one person coming up with weird throwaway
>> characters with strange elements of technical writing in
>> their descriptions.
>
>To its credit, G1 did have a fair few episodes that basically
>focused on a single character. They might not have been
>real deep (like, say, your "Hoist Goes Hollywood"s or
>"Money Is Everything"s), but it did briefly shift the focus
>away from your Primes and Megatrons.

To be completely fair, Beast Wars and Beast Machines (and
even RD) did this too--I don't know about Armada/Energon,
not having cable and only seeing a grand total of 2 episodes
of Armada), but they couldn't plop in the weird throwaway
characters due to modern cartoon/voice-acting budget
constraints, so even when they'd try to focus on a different
character-of-the-week, they'd still have a lot of screen time for
the marquise players, so it wasn't so much a different focus
and a slightly different view.

Besides, Beast Wars, in particular was so good at
characterization that devoting a full 18-or-so minutes to one or
two characters was a bit redundant . . .

Although I understand it helped with Rattrap's likability a bit . . .

>I think we can find a middle ground between G1's large and
>fairly one-note cast and BW's small but fairly deep cast.

I think it would probably be best if it followed a three-point
outline (assuming a single season fiction, and only two
factions):

1) 20-25 named characters per side, thus allowing for plenty
of extras and a pool of other players, but only 7-9 "stars" per
side, if that many.
2) Rotate the "stars" every 3 or 4 episodes, giving the viewers
a break between the "canon" storyline stories, and never
focusing on more than 3 characters per side in these
"spotlight" episodes.
3) No more than 4 real "introduction" episodes. Especially if they become "A
new character shows up! He/She is super capable, and could defeat the entirety
of the other faction in one battle . . . but only in this episode, and forever
after, this one character will be as unspectacular and indistinguishable as all
the others!" episodes. Bleah.

The main difficulties would be in providing distinguishable
voices for all these characters (3 or 4 Scott McNeil-type
multi-voicers should help, but are there 3 or 4 Scott McNeils?
Are there 2?). A judicious use of recolors should help keep
the design costs down, like with G1.

It's not perfect, but it's probably a good thing to strive for. If
they fall short (even by half) it would at least be a good start.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

Thylacine 2000

Nov 16, 2004, 5:22:12 PM11/16/04
Gustavo Wombat wrote:

> > The word that
> > *several* people used to describe the Energon cartoon was
> > "incomprehensible."
>

> And the cartoon is quite adequate, at least the WPP sub of Superlink
> is.

Subs of Superlink are none of Hasbro's business. Hasbro is
responsible for the Energon cartoon. They need it to move their
product. And several of the respondents in their conference called it
"incomprehensible."

Thylacine 2000

Nov 16, 2004, 5:42:36 PM11/16/04
Doug Dlin wrote:

> > Some questions Hasbro asked us:
> >
> > -What are your thoughts on Energon, and if you don't like it, why not?
>
> Some good toy designs, some really awkward/disappointing designs.
> Better art and packaging than before. The cartoon, though, fails as a
> companion marketing vehicle owing to its various flaws, a lot of which
> can be blamed on rushed dubbing and accompanying lack of
> script-checking/editing.

The complaints I remember hearing go Hasbro's way re: the Energon toys
were that "the colors are too bright / tacky," "I don't like the
gimmicks," and "(name) doesn't turn into his G1 namesake's altmode
anymore."

> > -Did you buy HOC? Why or why not?
>
> Only one or two.

Several respondents said that they just got their favorite
characters... though someone else, perhaps John Runski(?), said that
they were small and affordable enough to trigger a Pokemon-collector
mentality.

> > -What would make fans buy Japanese versions of toys instead of Hasbro
> > versions?
>

> More often than not, a "grass is always greener on the other side of the
> fence" mentality. Japan's versions are often marketed after they have
> time to adjust color schemes to match the TV show, or they have more
> diecast metal, or the packaging and presentation are more elaborate.
> Some fans find any or all of these elements worth the extra cost of a
> Japanese version, some don't.

Another factor that got considered was the recent time-staggered
nature of toy releases. Especially clear in Energon / Cybertron.
Bruticus Maximus came out in Japan several weeks ago--but U.S. shelves
won't see the last components until at least April. The GalaxyForce
toys start to hit around December.... Cybertron won't come out until,
what, July?

I think that once you cross a certain threshold of interest, you enter
a territory where there are enough people willing to pay extra to get
the toys immediately that the number of fans who are willing to wait
instead is no longer really financially reliable. This is
particularly relevant for RobotMasters.

> > -The Fan's Choice Unproduced Design idea--discussed at OTFCC--is still
> > a possibility. They're trying to figure out how they'd implement such
> > a thing.
>
> Hmm...was it announced what the idea was? And how (un)feasible it was
> as things currently stand?

At the 'con, they said they'd take some unreleased TF designs out of
mothballs and allow the fans to vote online on which they'd like to
see produced. Sort of like the Star Wars fans finally getting a toy
of the original Ralph McQuarrie Stormtrooper model. They didn't go
into any more detail than that.

> [Star Wars Vintage Line done TF-style] How
> would this differ from Alternators or Robot Masters, for instance, aside
> from packaging?

If we use the SWVC as a baseline, then I think it would have to be
something along the lines of RobotMasters: a slavish re-engineering
of the two original modes. Because if they turn the TFs into new
things, then it *is* just Alternators.

And yes, that was why I asked specifically if these would be new
molds. When they started talking about, let's say, a toy that you'd
expect to cost $10 now actually costing $15 because of this-and-that
extra-specialness.... I just don't see that big a chunk of the fandom
taking that leap for RM, especially not when considering the timing
and availability issues we've discussed.

> So, would that have gone with the general tone of the call? Would I
> have been out of line? Or would I just have been shouted down so
> someone else could have a turn to speak? :-)

The overall tone was very polite and eager. There was no real order
to speaking, so when one guy stopped often there would be two trying
to start up at once--but everyone was courteous and didn't try to talk
over the others.

It was noteworthy that none of the fans directly responded to each
other, presumably choosing to just swallow any disagreements. It was
certainly intentional on my part.... one guy said he didn't like
Energon Megatron and I was itching to be all NO HE R0012, MAKE MORE
LIKE THAT!.... but I held my tongue. I'd be surprised if the others
didn't at times feel the same way. The real point was to answer H's
questions and keep the back-and-forth flowing, so there would have
been nothing to gain by turning it into just a fan forum.

Steven Acevedo

Nov 16, 2004, 5:45:33 PM11/16/04
On 16 Nov 2004 17:09:07 GMT, jsimm...@aol.com (JSimmons81) wrote:

>It's not fair that they only asked people who went to OTFCC04. They should have
>put the survey up on their website so that ALL the fans could answer the
>questions, not just the people who went to OTFC04....

They were specifically looking for consumers who have the most to
spend on. True, There's nothing fair about it but then most things in
life aren't fair.

That's how it is.

ShadowWing

Nov 16, 2004, 5:48:11 PM11/16/04

"Mark Brown" wrote

> Hasbro could coordinate more with DW (or whomever); the characters that
> don't get much screentime on the show could be the core cast of the
comics.
> Think of Ichikawa-san's Micron Legend DVD comics, but done as the main
comic
> line.

Hopefully doing a better job than when DW did the Turtles comic based on
the cartoon, or all the inconsistencies in DC's Adventures titles (Superman
already knowing Batman and both being in the Justice League long before the
cartoon writers ever had any of that happen). Not to mention what Marvel did
to Gargoyles.

> But yeah, it all comes back to having good writers.
>
> Mark
> "Doing what I can to shore up my chosen career path. . ."

I wouldn't mind writing a Transformers comic series, or even miniseries,
myself.
--
/\ /\
/ \ ()/ \

---

Aaron F. Bourque

Nov 16, 2004, 6:39:10 PM11/16/04
From: thytw...@hotmail.com (Thylacine 2000)

>The complaints I remember hearing go Hasbro's way re: the
>Energon toys were that "the colors are too bright / tacky,"

Hmm.

>"I don't like the gimmicks,"

Enh.

>and "(name) doesn't turn into his G1 namesake's altmode
>anymore."

Ow.

Steve-o Stonebraker

Nov 16, 2004, 8:53:10 PM11/16/04
On 16 Nov 2004 21:02:54 GMT, Aaron F. Bourque wrote:
> Yeah. However, the 6-9 members of the collector community
> is a pretty small cross-section. It's less than 1% at the most.
> If I were a Hasbro employee asked to do something like this, I'd want to have
> more than one conference call, either with a
> mixed or completely new group of different people.

Depends a lot on what the purpose of the call/focus group was. I know
nothing about marketing. I have no idea what companies are generally
tying to accomplish with such things. But I do know about sampling and
data collection, and I can address it from that point of view.

If the function of the call was to find out, largely from scratch, what
the devoted fanbase thinks, then this single interaction is not
sufficient. Taking a small sample is fine, as long as you're confident
that it is a representative sample. However, six people is probably not
enough to be representative of fandom opinion on a lot of issues. There's
a lot of spread, and a lot of unique combinations of likes and dislikes.
To get a thorough picture, they would need a few dozen people, carefully
selected. (They could also go random with a larger number.)

However, I can't imagine that was the point of the call.

Hasbro can easily get an idea of what the fandom likes and doesn't by
looking at our public discussions. The only reason for them to hold a
focus group is to get more specific, directed comments about issues they
know we care about (and without the chaff of forum discussion to get in
the way). Even more specifically, I would guess that the mindset they had
going into this was, "we think the fandom thinks this way, let's have a
targeted conversation with a few of them about these issues and make
sure." They already know the general picture, just by observing us. They
don't need a large sample to do confirm the plausibility of their
hypotheses. Just a few people will do. Especially when those people have
been deliberately chosen to match certain criteria based on their answers
to the OTFCC survey.
--Steve-o
--
Steve Stonebraker | http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~sstoneb/
sst...@yahoo.com | Transformers, astrophysics, comics, games, cartoons.

Doug Dlin

Nov 16, 2004, 10:40:50 PM11/16/04
XGrimlock2002 wrote:

> Pyre wrote:" Sideswipe would still
> have his G1 form but he'd be poseable like current toys. Like 20th prime and
> RM Starscream."
>
> Dude that's impossible for Hasbro+Takara to do. Diaclone Transformers were
> liscensed cars+etc...

Blatantly incorrect. None of the Diaclone TFs were licensed. They were
highly accurate, yes, but just different enough from the real things to
avoid problems. That's why, for instance, Smokescreen's number and
color scheme were different from the specific racing Datsun on which he
was based.

> Sideswipe can't have his G-1 Car or bot form because his
> diaclone car was a Lamborgini.

This, however, might prove to be true. It depends on how restrictions
have changed as far as how close a car toy can look like the real thing
before licensing fees are necessary. These restrictions may even vary
from car company to car company. Toyota might not care about a toy car
that's based on a real Toyota but is 10% different, while Lamborghini
might demand that it be 20% different before they'll forget about
licensing fees, or something like that.

Doug Dlin
apcog at hotmail.com

Doug Dlin

Nov 16, 2004, 10:58:11 PM11/16/04
On Nov. 16, 2004, Thylacine 2000 wrote:

> Doug Dlin wrote:
>

>>>Some questions Hasbro asked us:
>>>
>>>-What are your thoughts on Energon, and if you don't like it, why not?

[snip]

> The complaints I remember hearing go Hasbro's way re: the Energon toys
> were that "the colors are too bright / tacky,"

On a few. Otherwise, they're no worse for me than the G1 Constructicons
or Insecticons in terms of brightness, and certainly none have crossed
the line of late Euro G1 in terms of tackiness. :-)

> "I don't like the gimmicks," and

The Powerlinx gimmick has caused some problems in execution of
transformation schemes, and I think Prime could've stood to lose a few
pounds and gain a little complexity (or at least a better position for
his arms in vehicle mode), but other than that, I haven't had a lot of
problem with the gimmicks.

> "(name) doesn't turn into his G1
> namesake's altmode anymore."

I think I got over that obsession during the BW era. Yeah, I like
homages, and I do get annoyed when circumstances cause them to come
across as only halfway done (e.g., Energon Downshift or Armada
Wheeljack), but it's not that important a factor to me on the whole. If
an entirely new character happens to have an old character's name, and
we just get a slight nod in design to the original as a little bonus, so
long as the new character can stand on his/her own merits, I'm fine with
that.

So again, so much for consensus.

>>>-Did you buy HOC? Why or why not?
>>
>>Only one or two.
>

> Several respondents said that they just got their favorite
> characters... though someone else, perhaps John Runski(?), said that
> they were small and affordable enough to trigger a Pokemon-collector
> mentality.

I'd counter that this depends on your affinity for that sort of figure
to begin with, as well as your disposable income. Even if I'd wanted to
collect all the figures, I wouldn't have had the time to hunt them down
or the cash to get all I wanted, so that would've defeated said
"Pokemon-collector mentality" right there.

Obviously, John's situation was very different, as was Sipher's.

>>>-What would make fans buy Japanese versions of toys instead of Hasbro
>>>versions?
>>
>>More often than not, a "grass is always greener on the other side of the
>>fence" mentality. Japan's versions are often marketed after they have
>>time to adjust color schemes to match the TV show, or they have more
>>diecast metal, or the packaging and presentation are more elaborate.
>>Some fans find any or all of these elements worth the extra cost of a
>>Japanese version, some don't.
>
> Another factor that got considered was the recent time-staggered
> nature of toy releases. Especially clear in Energon / Cybertron.
> Bruticus Maximus came out in Japan several weeks ago--but U.S. shelves
> won't see the last components until at least April. The GalaxyForce
> toys start to hit around December.... Cybertron won't come out until,
> what, July?

Yep, definitely a factor, as you noted and discussed regarding Robot
Masters.

> I think that once you cross a certain threshold of interest, you enter
> a territory where there are enough people willing to pay extra to get
> the toys immediately that the number of fans who are willing to wait
> instead is no longer really financially reliable. This is
> particularly relevant for RobotMasters.

Exactly.

>>>-The Fan's Choice Unproduced Design idea--discussed at OTFCC--is still
>>>a possibility. They're trying to figure out how they'd implement such
>>>a thing.
>>
>>Hmm...was it announced what the idea was? And how (un)feasible it was
>>as things currently stand?
>
> At the 'con, they said they'd take some unreleased TF designs out of
> mothballs and allow the fans to vote online on which they'd like to
> see produced. Sort of like the Star Wars fans finally getting a toy
> of the original Ralph McQuarrie Stormtrooper model. They didn't go
> into any more detail than that.

Ah, okay. That'd be a fairly big step, I think, since the average
unreleased TF, unless it's really small, has far more moving parts to
cast and more elements that require safety testing than your average SW
figure.

>>[Star Wars Vintage Line done TF-style] How
>>would this differ from Alternators or Robot Masters, for instance, aside
>>from packaging?
>
> If we use the SWVC as a baseline, then I think it would have to be
> something along the lines of RobotMasters: a slavish re-engineering
> of the two original modes. Because if they turn the TFs into new
> things, then it *is* just Alternators.

Okay, I think I understand. So potentially, it'd be Robot Masters, only
it'd be HASBRO-selected and conceptualized (if not outright designed)
Robot Masters--or perhaps an expansion on what's already come out in
Japan. Something to avoid the problem of too many fans having already
bought what's been out for months or years overseas.

>>So, would that have gone with the general tone of the call? Would I
>>have been out of line? Or would I just have been shouted down so
>>someone else could have a turn to speak? :-)
>
> The overall tone was very polite and eager. There was no real order
> to speaking, so when one guy stopped often there would be two trying
> to start up at once--but everyone was courteous and didn't try to talk
> over the others.

That's good to hear. I meant "shouted down" in a semi-facetious sense,
of course. The gist of my question was whether I would've been hogging
the mic, as it were.

> It was noteworthy that none of the fans directly responded to each
> other, presumably choosing to just swallow any disagreements. It was
> certainly intentional on my part.... one guy said he didn't like
> Energon Megatron and I was itching to be all NO HE R0012, MAKE MORE
> LIKE THAT!.... but I held my tongue. I'd be surprised if the others
> didn't at times feel the same way. The real point was to answer H's
> questions and keep the back-and-forth flowing, so there would have
> been nothing to gain by turning it into just a fan forum.

True, but interjecting "For what it's worth, I LIKE Energon Megatron,"
when it came your turn again would just emphasize the diversity of
opinion with which they're dealing. I suppose they're already keenly
aware of it, mind you.

At any rate, it seems like the conversation definitely gave the Hasbro
folks a lot to think about. I just hope that the data they gathered
doesn't ultimately paralyze their projects' progress simply because
there are so many factors to consider.

Mark Brown

Nov 17, 2004, 10:09:15 AM11/17/04
"Aaron F. Bourque" <aaronb...@aol.comdotaolat> wrote in message
*SNIP*

> The main difficulties would be in providing distinguishable
> voices for all these characters (3 or 4 Scott McNeil-type
> multi-voicers should help, but are there 3 or 4 Scott McNeils?
> Are there 2?).
*SNIP*

There's Frank Welker.

Mark
"As a cast of thousands."

G.B. Blackrock

Nov 17, 2004, 11:22:33 AM11/17/04
ShadowWing wrote:

> I wouldn't mind writing a Transformers comic series, or even
miniseries,
> myself.

Attention DW! Here's one volunteer! I'm sure there are lots of
others! STOP your current plans to being Sarracini back! PLEASE!

(for more info, see:
http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58778)
G.B. Blackrock

Aaron F. Bourque

Nov 17, 2004, 12:37:47 PM11/17/04
From: "G.B. Blackrock" gbbla...@earthlink.net

>ShadowWing wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't mind writing a Transformers comic series, or
>> even miniseries, myself.
>
>Attention DW! Here's one volunteer!

Hell, I volunteer to write two.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; as long as I get relative
creative freedom on the second. Heh heh heh . . .

necrotron

Nov 17, 2004, 5:31:29 PM11/17/04

> However, I can't imagine that was the point of the call.
>
> Hasbro can easily get an idea of what the fandom likes and doesn't by
> looking at our public discussions.

Uhm...

Well, since we both know people are more likely to post when they have a
bitch about something, I'd say the view looking at the forums would be
mostly negative. Granted, it's been much better here lately...

Joe
necrotron

Mark Brown

Nov 17, 2004, 6:31:46 PM11/17/04
"ShadowWing" <the...@SPAMBLOCKADEsnet.net> wrote in message

> "Mark Brown" wrote
>> Hasbro could coordinate more with DW (or whomever); the characters that
>> don't get much screentime on the show could be the core cast of the
> comics.
*SNIP*

> Hopefully doing a better job than when DW did the Turtles comic based
> on
> the cartoon, or all the inconsistencies in DC's Adventures titles
> (Superman
> already knowing Batman and both being in the Justice League long before
> the
> cartoon writers ever had any of that happen). Not to mention what Marvel
> did
> to Gargoyles.

[sheepish]
Actually, I kinda liked the Marvel Gargoyle books.
[/sheepish]

But yeah, that's why I specified the non-core cast.

Say, the cartoon could focus on Optimus and Megatron, and their command
crews. The comics OTOH, could focus on, say, Ultra-Magnus and his team
(heck, throw the fans a bone and call them the Wreckers). There'd be
occasional crossovers with the series (it'd be the newly-created job of the
"continuity guru" to make sure everything fits), but for the most part, the
Wreckers would be off doing their own thing. Many of the "crossovers" would
just be "head on the viewscreen" type conference-calls, getting updates of
major (strategically-important) events (who's dead, who's suddenly shown up,
what secret plots have been revealed, etc). Maybe a newly-arriving show
character could make an enigmatic/ominous appearance on their way to Earth,
or a character that's been written-out could transfer between titles.

Like, say, planet-hopping to head off the Decepticon reinforcements that
Megatron is calling in, or visiting Autobot outposts to weed out sleeper
agents, or visiting Planet Junk to retrieve much-needed supplies. At every
step, they'd be hounded by Slugslinger (or whichever non-show Decepticon has
the coolest toy), doing the same job for the Decepticons. . .

Might be fun to see Magnus' troops jockeying for promotion, hoping to get
transferred to a "more prestigious" command. Shades of Impulse and Ray in
Young_Justice talking about their comics being cancelled. . .

>> But yeah, it all comes back to having good writers.
>> Mark
>> "Doing what I can to shore up my chosen career path. . ."
> I wouldn't mind writing a Transformers comic series, or even
> miniseries,
> myself.

I'd be more interested in doing a TV series (which is another good reason
I'd like to see NorAm take a more useful role in the series); breaking a
story into episodes is easier for me than (shorter) comic issues. I'd be the
guy who writes a four-part arc where parts two and three suck.

Got a few comic ~concepts~ I wouldn't mind trying though. . .

Mark
"Like the Minicon Hunt Redux."

ShadowWing

Nov 17, 2004, 7:33:41 PM11/17/04

"Mark Brown" wrote

> [sheepish]
> Actually, I kinda liked the Marvel Gargoyle books.
> [/sheepish]

I can't say I'm sure what the Gargoyles fandom thought. To me it just
didn't hold the same spirit of the show. Marvel also did that with the
adaptations of their own shows, although Spider-Man Adv at least made up for
it by being good, unlike X-Men Adv. I'm also having trouble getting myself
to reread Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. It's always hit-and-miss with me and
Marvel. I miss their Star imprint.

> But yeah, that's why I specified the non-core cast.
>
> Say, the cartoon could focus on Optimus and Megatron, and their command
> crews. The comics OTOH, could focus on, say, Ultra-Magnus and his team
> (heck, throw the fans a bone and call them the Wreckers). There'd be
> occasional crossovers with the series (it'd be the newly-created job of
the
> "continuity guru" to make sure everything fits), but for the most part,
the
> Wreckers would be off doing their own thing. Many of the "crossovers"
would
> just be "head on the viewscreen" type conference-calls, getting updates of
> major (strategically-important) events (who's dead, who's suddenly shown
up,
> what secret plots have been revealed, etc). Maybe a newly-arriving show
> character could make an enigmatic/ominous appearance on their way to
Earth,
> or a character that's been written-out could transfer between titles.

Or find some decent adventures that take place in between or lead to
certain events, like some of the fancomics (I wish Dark Glass was still
online to point people to), or what MVCreations has done with Masters of the
Universe. (I miss that show, but the comics almost seem like episodes. Kind
of like Jackpot's Machine Wars pictures make you think he screencaped a
cartoon that never existed.)

> > I wouldn't mind writing a Transformers comic series, or even
> > miniseries, myself.
>
> I'd be more interested in doing a TV series (which is another good reason
> I'd like to see NorAm take a more useful role in the series); breaking a
> story into episodes is easier for me than (shorter) comic issues. I'd be
the
> guy who writes a four-part arc where parts two and three suck.

There's always graphic novels. :)

> Got a few comic ~concepts~ I wouldn't mind trying though. . .
>

> "Like the Minicon Hunt Redux."

I'd like to see the early years of the Mini-Cons, either the point in
the cartoon where the Autobots realized they were more than "smart tools",
or the comic Mini-Cons' lives before Megatron began the war with them. That
would make a nice story for the next "summer special".

Steve-o Stonebraker

Nov 17, 2004, 11:55:50 PM11/17/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:31:29 GMT, necrotron wrote:
>> Hasbro can easily get an idea of what the fandom likes and doesn't by
>> looking at our public discussions.
>
> Uhm...
>
> Well, since we both know people are more likely to post when they have a
> bitch about something, I'd say the view looking at the forums would be
> mostly negative. Granted, it's been much better here lately...

I completely agree. If you take the postings in a public forum at face
value, you will get a distorted impression. On the other hand, if you
*know* that people are far more likely to post about something that upset
them than something they like, and that people will be extremely vehement
in their descriptions of their unhappiness... The forums can give you an
*idea* of fan reaction as long as you're aware of the limitations of them
as an instrument, and especially if you're willing to look for the
positive posts among the negative. It is still not a replacement for real
market research, but it can be useful in its own way.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 18, 2004, 6:13:01 AM11/18/04
"Aaron F. Bourque" <aaronb...@aol.comdotaolat> wrote in message

> >Attention DW! Here's one volunteer!
>
> Hell, I volunteer to write two.

They should just let a bunch of us fans get together
and write a story we think would be good.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

XGrimlock2002

Nov 18, 2004, 1:05:27 PM11/18/04
GEEZ Why doesn't hasbro just put up a question forum like this on there
Transformers.com web site. Hasbro could ask about 20 questions with multiple
choice answers or fill in the blank answers.

I highly doubt asking just 9 TF fans on a conference call speaks for thousands
upon thousands TF fans world wide.

Geez what if all 9 of those guys had under paying jobs or all of the hated
armada+energon+cybertron toys. What if all of those 9 guys hated g-1
reissues+robotmasters+alternators.

Desperado00

Nov 18, 2004, 1:23:21 PM11/18/04

What if Hasbro took all of that into consideration when they decided who to
include in the call? What if Hasbro took all of the questionaires that were
filled out, and picked a handful of them whose opinions seemed to best resemble
the attitudes and preferences of the entirity of all the responders? What if,
Heaven forbid, Hasbro actually *knew what they were doing*? Oh, of course not.
A big, successful corporation understanding the intricacies and subtle
differences of opinion between people? Surely that's not possible.

M Sipher

Nov 18, 2004, 1:56:33 PM11/18/04
"Desperado00" <despe...@aol.com> wrote in message

> What if Hasbro took all of that into consideration when they decided who
> include in the call? What if Hasbro took all of the questionaires that
were
> filled out, and picked a handful of them whose opinions seemed to best
resemble
> the attitudes and preferences of the entirity of all the responders? What
if,
> Heaven forbid, Hasbro actually *knew what they were doing*? Oh, of course
not.
> A big, successful corporation understanding the intricacies and subtle
> differences of opinion between people? Surely that's not possible.

Psst. Desp.

It's called "WHY NOT MEEEE?".

The perfect excuse to start claiming that this was flawed and wrong.

M "Seems Pretty Clear Hasbro Was After Something Specific And Picked
Respondents Who Fit That Demographic" Sipher

ShadowWing

Nov 18, 2004, 5:20:53 PM11/18/04

"Ethan Hammond" wrote

> > >Attention DW! Here's one volunteer!

There's a difference between desire and ability. Read the measly amount
of fanfics on my website. Only the essays and BM parody are really any good.
Granted, my big flaw is discription, which would be handled by the artist.

> > Hell, I volunteer to write two.
>
> They should just let a bunch of us fans get together
> and write a story we think would be good.

That might potentially be as bad as letting them/us design the toys. The
difference of opinions is just as vast on stories as it is the toys.

Mark Brown

Nov 18, 2004, 5:15:04 PM11/18/04

> "Mark Brown" wrote
>> [sheepish]
>> Actually, I kinda liked the Marvel Gargoyle books.
>> [/sheepish]
> I can't say I'm sure what the Gargoyles fandom thought. To me it just
> didn't hold the same spirit of the show.

Well, the fandom's a fandom; some hated it some liked it. I just enjoyed the
slightly darker tone to it --personal preference. And the occasional
memorable line ("Churches tend not to get torn down." --Goliath).

*SNIP*

> I'm also having trouble getting myself
> to reread Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. It's always hit-and-miss with me
> and
> Marvel. I miss their Star imprint.

Ditto. Starfleet_Academy was a great idea (Nog's lost years), but
less-than-stellar execution. Marvel tends to do better cartoon-style
superheroes, which is all well and good, but doesn't really suit some
titles.

*SNIP*

> Or find some decent adventures that take place in between or lead to
> certain events, like some of the fancomics (I wish Dark Glass was still
> online to point people to), or what MVCreations has done with Masters of
> the
> Universe. (I miss that show, but the comics almost seem like episodes.

They're still making them? Gorrammit, that's two titles I'll have to hunt
back-issue bins for (I just now found out about 88mph Studio's Ghostbusters
title, when #3 spontaneously materialized at the store I go to).

> Kind
> of like Jackpot's Machine Wars pictures make you think he screencaped a
> cartoon that never existed.)

Hey now! Don't insult Jackpot like that. ;)

*SNIP*

>> Got a few comic ~concepts~ I wouldn't mind trying though. . .
>> "Like the Minicon Hunt Redux."
> I'd like to see the early years of the Mini-Cons, either the point in
> the cartoon where the Autobots realized they were more than "smart tools",
> or the comic Mini-Cons' lives before Megatron began the war with them.
> That
> would make a nice story for the next "summer special".

I was thinking more of the Armada/Energon intermezzo, building on the
Minicon superpowers idea:

All Minis can give a generalized power boost to the Bulks, but whenever
Minicons are configured to combine (as happens far more often than just a
handful of weapons and Perceptor), one member of the group develops a random
("G1-esque") superpower (and can confer this power on a powerlinked Bulk).
Mirage uses his cloaking device in the comics, Sonar might've used telepathy
in the toon to coordinate with Runway and Jetstorm to get Megatron into the
Autobase (actually, he was just getting himself back to his team; leading
Megs to his own ass-kicking, as it were), comics-Astroscope is a walking
sensor array, etc.

This is my way of balancing out the Minicon superweapons; they can't access
these powers if they're combined (you can have the Star Saber or Sonar's
mind-reading ability, not both).

Eventually, some mastermind develops a way to steal these powers by
force-powerlinking with a suitable Minicon (leaving that Mini
stasis-locked). One day, certain Minicons just start vanishing, and the
Autobots have to track down the now super-powered culprit --and secure the
other SuperMinicons before he/she can get to them.

It's kinda like a TF version of the Talisman Hunt on Jackie_Chan_Adventures.
The Minicons make for a great plot device, if only the toon had used them
effectively.

Mark
"Hah! Strength of an Ox!"
*WHAM*
"~Inner~ Strength, Hak Fool." --Hak Fu & Tohru

Steelskin

Nov 19, 2004, 12:30:15 AM11/19/04
thytw...@hotmail.com (Thylacine 2000) wrote in message news:<44ac6dd8.04111...@posting.google.com>...

> This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
> of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
> us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
> my quick notes on how it went.

Hey I was part of that call too! It was a great time. I was a little
nervous about it. I even forgot Powerglide's name for a moment. Not
every day you get to talk to the folks *making* your favorite things.
I figured more people got picked for such a thing so someone else
would post about it.

<snip>
> -Think of the Star Wars Vintage Collection series, with old-fashioned
> packaging and all-new mold updates of vintage characters. Would that
> be interesting for Transformers? Would fans be willing to pay more
> money than a toy's size point usually gets,...

I didn't get a chance to bring up the E-Hobby exclusives at this
point. People were/are paying out the arse for reissues of Ironhide
et. al and some of the other limited reissues (some before mass
re-release at TRU). On the Star Wars note, I spent more on Star Wars
(vintage and new) from 1996-1999 than I did on college tuition for
that same time frame. Yet, I haven't bought a single re-packaged
quasi-vintage figure. They sure look neat, but it just doesn't have
any real appeal for me.

> -What about Star Wars Unleashed? Would TF fans want immobile "action
> shots" of major characters like that?

Action Masters and HOC, while non-TF'ing, at least were movable.
Immobile *Transformers* is totally unappealing and I'm glad we all
agreed.

> This led to a *LONG*, a wonderfully long, conversation about how
> important characters are to Transformers--how people buy toys based on
> characterization and good storylines. I have to say that I was very
> proud of my fellow participants here--not a single one of them gave
> the expected 'ew, yuck, Beast Machines?!' response. Everyone was very
> constructive and said that story and character are key.

I emailed Sue (the coordinator) later about something that came to me
a bit later. Most G1 fans have up to 5 of essentially the same mould
in the G1 Seeker Jets. Everyone has their favorite for reasons of
coloring, accessories, character, or whatnot. Each one is a fully
developed character with tech specs and fairly unique mannerisms.
Simply repainting a toy and adding a prefix doesn't cut it (i.e.
Energon Ironhide). I had enough of powerups with RID, though I still
bought them because the moulds kicked ass.

> Sidenote: I felt bad for Hasbro after hearing the way the fans talked
> about Energon. I mean... gosh, I believe *everybody* involved in the
> call really didn't like Energon at all. Didn't like the toys or the
> show. Almost everyone said they either weren't interested in them or
> actively disliked them. In fact, I believe I was the only person who
> said he *liked* the Energon toys, and even I then went on to say that
> I had skipped like 3/4ths of them because none of them represented
> characters I cared about and the show had such serious storytelling
> problems, most of them probably due to the dub. The word that

> *several* people used to describe the Energon cartoon was
> "incomprehensible."

I like all the toys I've bought but only have 4-5 of 'em because of
space concerns. The show literally puts me to sleep if I'm remotely
comfortable while watching it any time day or night. I've gone
through the trouble of taping the show religiously and putting it onto
DVDs. Oh, how I try to stay focused but it knocks me right out.

> -Hasbro: "If we're going to revive and update old characters, how
> strictly do we have to stick to what they were in the past? Does
> Optimus Prime always have to be a red truck, or would you guys be
> interested in him as a jet or a motorcycle?"
Heh..
It went, not exactly in this order mind you, "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,
NO WAY, NO" I felt a little scared at that point, like the idea had
actually entered their heads...

> More later as I remember it.
> Thylacine2000 is online now Edit/Delete Message

I think you pretty well covered it!

-Steelskin
-----------------------------------
It's a good time to be a chosen fan

Desperado00

Nov 19, 2004, 1:10:11 AM11/19/04
>Psst. Desp.
>
>It's called "WHY NOT MEEEE?".
>
>The perfect excuse to start claiming that this was flawed and wrong.

Yeah, I know. I'm sorry I went off. I'm just in a ranting mood right now.
Please, please, please don't ask why.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 19, 2004, 3:32:30 AM11/19/04

> There's a difference between desire and ability. Read the measly
amount
> of fanfics on my website. Only the essays and BM parody are really any
good.
> Granted, my big flaw is discription, which would be handled by the artist.

Well the thing is, its not like you could mess up DW continuity any more
than it already is. I mean if this was the Marvel comic I would care.

> > > Hell, I volunteer to write two.
>
> > They should just let a bunch of us fans get together
> > and write a story we think would be good.
>
> That might potentially be as bad as letting them/us design the toys.
The
> difference of opinions is just as vast on stories as it is the toys.

Bandai already stole my design with that Sailor fuku wearing Gundam.
*sighs* Back to the drawing board and by drawing board I mean wide
ruled notebook.

Georgia S.E.

Nov 19, 2004, 11:40:09 AM11/19/04
Steve-o Stonebraker <sst...@fox.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message news:<slrncpoaqm....@fox.mps.ohio-state.edu>...

> > Uhm...
> >
> > Well, since we both know people are more likely to post when they have a
> > bitch about something, I'd say the view looking at the forums would be
> > mostly negative. Granted, it's been much better here lately...
>
> I completely agree. If you take the postings in a public forum at face
> value, you will get a distorted impression. On the other hand, if you
> *know* that people are far more likely to post about something that upset
> them than something they like, and that people will be extremely vehement
> in their descriptions of their unhappiness... The forums can give you an
> *idea* of fan reaction as long as you're aware of the limitations of them
> as an instrument, and especially if you're willing to look for the
> positive posts among the negative. It is still not a replacement for real
> market research, but it can be useful in its own way.
>
> --Steve-o

Screening several newsgroups and X number of online boards could get
time consuming (and downright boring) for a company, though. They'd
almost have to hire a couple people just to keep up with and sift
through it all. I skim att for for fun when I have some free time,
and I as a fan can't even keep up with the boards. Just imagine how
different BW may have been if B&L had all these (relativly) new forums
to sift through in order to interact with fans instead of just this
one main newsgroup as was the case. Too many chiefs, not enough
Indians?

Perhaps a mailed survey sent to everyone on the convention's mailing
list would be an appropriate approach to survey collectors? I've
never made it to a convention for a variety of reasons, but I have
been on the list in the past and received info I wouldn't otherwise
have.

-Georgia :)

Mark Brown

Nov 19, 2004, 12:28:07 PM11/19/04
"Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
*SNIP*

> Bandai already stole my design with that Sailor fuku wearing Gundam.
*SNIP*

A Gundam does not preclude the existance of a fuku-garbed TF. In fact, how
'bout a whole line of shoujou-based TFs. . .

Sailor Seibertron!
Iacon Mew Mew!
'ConCaptor Sakura!
Technorganic Fruits Basket!
Azumanga Destron! (I would ~pay~ to see this. . .)

Mark
"Thinks Azumanga Daioh showcases the entire range of Decepticon psychology."
;)

Ka Faraq Gatri

Nov 19, 2004, 7:05:19 PM11/19/04
On 15 Nov 2004 10:47:11 -0800, thytw...@hotmail.com (Thylacine 2000)
wrote:

>This morning, the Hasbro TF team held a conference call with a group
>of 6-9 members of the TF collector community. They made contact with
>us based upon the surveys we filled out at OTFCC04. Here are some of
>my quick notes on how it went.
>

>Some questions Hasbro asked us:

Some answers, just in case Hasbro reads the group.

>-What are your thoughts on Energon, and if you don't like it, why not?

Love it! Keep `em coming!

>-If you bought 20th Prime, did you have to choose between that and the
>'normal' toys?

Didn't have to choose, but if I'd had to, 20th Prime would have
lost. The most overrated TF ever made IMO.

>-Did you buy HOC? Why or why not?

Only a couple, purely because I couldn't find them. If they'd been
distributed better, I'd have bought more.

>-What would make fans buy Japanese versions of toys instead of Hasbro
>versions?

For me to buy them, they would have to be Japanese-exclusive molds.
A moderately different color scheme isn't enough (otherwise I'd buy
more of the repaints).

> Would you like it if the Hasbro website had information
>about upcoming Takara releases?

Hmm. I'd find it mildly interesting, but not a huge selling point.
I'd rather see the site streamlined, with the funky Java/Javascript
removed so I can actually view it properly.

>-What would fans like to see in a collector-themed line?

Just keep making Alternators exactly as they are. _Don't_ start
using diecast.

>-How important is it to have bios and techspecs on the packaging
>itself?

I like having the bios included with the toy, either on the
packaging, or they could be put on the card.

> Would you like it if the bios now on the website were to be
>put onto the packaging?

Yes, please! As I said above, that site doesn't work properly for
me!

>Now some hints and concepts for the future--bear in mind, before
>anyone *WRONGLY* tells you otherwise, that all of these are at this
>time just topics for discussion in a conference call, and that
>*NOTHING* was guaranteed or stated to be an upcoming product line.

>-The Fan's Choice Unproduced Design idea--discussed at OTFCC--is still
>a possibility. They're trying to figure out how they'd implement such
>a thing.
>

>-What did you think of RobotMasters? Do you think fans would buy them?

Yes! They're great little figures! The Prime is the best G1 Prime
we've gotten, and G1 Starscream finally has a good toy!

>-Think of the Star Wars Vintage Collection series, with old-fashioned
>packaging and all-new mold updates of vintage characters. Would that
>be interesting for Transformers? Would fans be willing to pay more

>money than a toy's size point usually gets, if the money went into
>extra detailing and features and/or better packaging? (I asked for
>clarification--'do you mean *totally* new updates, or things like
>RobotMasters which have already been out for months or years, and so
>by the time they come out in America the fans would already have had
>the chance to buy them for an equal or lesser amount of money?"
>Hasbro: "Assume for the moment we're discussing all-new designs.")

Hmm. If the packaging were character history, concept sketches, a
bio of the voice actor (where applicable), then yes. And new,
character appropriate molds for classic characters are always welcome.

>-What about Star Wars Unleashed? Would TF fans want immobile "action

>shots" of major characters like that? (Universal response was 'no'.
>Not a single person involved in the conference call had bought any of
>the statues or busts, and nobody seemed to like the possibility of an
>Unleashed line.)

No. Action Masters at least had show accuracy and articulation i
their favor. SWU holds no interest for me, except maybe the Padme who
was evidently in a cold room. And even then, not enough to buy it.

>This led to a *LONG*, a wonderfully long, conversation about how
>important characters are to Transformers--how people buy toys based on
>characterization and good storylines. I have to say that I was very
>proud of my fellow participants here--not a single one of them gave
>the expected 'ew, yuck, Beast Machines?!' response. Everyone was very
>constructive and said that story and character are key.
>

>Sidenote: I felt bad for Hasbro after hearing the way the fans talked
>about Energon. I mean... gosh, I believe *everybody* involved in the
>call really didn't like Energon at all. Didn't like the toys or the
>show. Almost everyone said they either weren't interested in them or
>actively disliked them. In fact, I believe I was the only person who
>said he *liked* the Energon toys, and even I then went on to say that
>I had skipped like 3/4ths of them because none of them represented
>characters I cared about and the show had such serious storytelling
>problems, most of them probably due to the dub. The word that
>*several* people used to describe the Energon cartoon was
>"incomprehensible."

If anyone from Hasbro reads the group, not everyone dislikes
Energon. I think it's one of the best lines you've produced. I can't
say the same about the show, but it is entertaining. But for
Cybertron, please don't rush the show like with Energon and Armada.
Give the animators time to finish, and the translators time for do
their job properly. We can wait. The great story and characterization
is there, but it gets obscured if the process is rushed.

>-Hasbro: "Okay, we're all with the understanding that good storylines
>and personalities are what make characters memorable and make you want
>to buy them. Thinking back to BW and BM, the flipside of having
>detailed storylines and personalities means fewer characters, which
>means we might have to go with multiple pricepoint versions of the
>same character again. Tell us your feelings on that." Generally a
>mixed response.

Not for every character, but for the leaders and maybe a few other
key characters multiple price points are a great idea. I love the fact
that poorer parents can get a less expensive version of Megatron and
Prime.

Dave Connell aka Ka Faraq Gatri
kfg...@rcn.com
"Any day we create this much shrapnel
is a good one." - Jamie Hyneman, "Mythbusters"

ShadowWing

Nov 19, 2004, 7:35:57 PM11/19/04

"Mark Brown" wrote
> "ShadowWing" wrote

> > I can't say I'm sure what the Gargoyles fandom thought. To me it just
> > didn't hold the same spirit of the show.
>
> Well, the fandom's a fandom; some hated it some liked it. I just enjoyed
the
> slightly darker tone to it --personal preference. And the occasional
> memorable line ("Churches tend not to get torn down." --Goliath).

To each his own. The darker tone was one of my problems with it.

> *SNIP*
> > Or find some decent adventures that take place in between or lead to
> > certain events, like some of the fancomics (I wish Dark Glass was still
> > online to point people to), or what MVCreations has done with Masters of
> > the
> > Universe. (I miss that show, but the comics almost seem like episodes.
>
> They're still making them? Gorrammit, that's two titles I'll have to hunt
> back-issue bins for (I just now found out about 88mph Studio's
Ghostbusters
> title, when #3 spontaneously materialized at the store I go to).

I wish we had gotten Tron around here. I wanted to see it.

> > Kind of like Jackpot's Machine Wars pictures make you think he
screencaped a
> > cartoon that never existed.)
>
> Hey now! Don't insult Jackpot like that. ;)

I thought it was a complement. His art looked that good.

> I was thinking more of the Armada/Energon intermezzo, building on the
> Minicon superpowers idea:

Like the video game is supposed to have but I don't know for sure
because they didn't make the PC version?

> This is my way of balancing out the Minicon superweapons; they can't
access
> these powers if they're combined (you can have the Star Saber or Sonar's
> mind-reading ability, not both).

In my world the Mini-Cons' physical forms actually help enhance the
Bulks, as well. Some of them works as shields, laser weapons, projectile
weapons, melee weapons--all based on their alt modes or bonus modes, like
the Emergency Team or Leader-1 and Rollout. Only certain Bulks can actually
Powerlink to a Mini-Con, and only some can control the power of the Combiner
Weapons. (This is, of course, based on which toys can actually hold a weapon
or can have a Mini-Con connected to, since my universe is heavily influenced
by my collection.)

> Eventually, some mastermind develops a way to steal these powers by
> force-powerlinking with a suitable Minicon (leaving that Mini
> stasis-locked). One day, certain Minicons just start vanishing, and the
> Autobots have to track down the now super-powered culprit --and secure the
> other SuperMinicons before he/she can get to them.

Sounds like an idea for a movie sequel. Lot of those in anime.

> It's kinda like a TF version of the Talisman Hunt on
Jackie_Chan_Adventures.
> The Minicons make for a great plot device, if only the toon had used them
> effectively.
>
> Mark
> "Hah! Strength of an Ox!"
> *WHAM*
> "~Inner~ Strength, Hak Fool." --Hak Fu & Tohru

I think you mean the Tiger talisman. "Spiritual Balance". (Hak thought
he couldn't be knocked down.) The Ox was physical strength.

--
/\ /\
/ \ ()/ \
/ /\ o[]o/\ \
/ 覧o夕]熔覧 \
updated before I die: / / / 00 \ \ \
The Transformation Zone 00
http://pages.cthome.net/ShadowWing^^

---

Doug Dlin

Nov 19, 2004, 11:09:05 PM11/19/04
On Nov. 19, 2004, Mark Brown wrote:

> "Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> *SNIP*
>
>>Bandai already stole my design with that Sailor fuku wearing Gundam.
>
> *SNIP*
>
> A Gundam does not preclude the existance of a fuku-garbed TF. In fact, how
> 'bout a whole line of shoujou-based TFs. . .
>
> Sailor Seibertron!
> Iacon Mew Mew!
> 'ConCaptor Sakura!
> Technorganic Fruits Basket!

Duel Headmasters!
Rave Targetmaster! (Rav Master?)
CryoTechnoman!
Powered Masters of the Zodiac!

Oh, wait, we have to keep to stuff with sailor suits, don't we.

Cybertronian Nine!
His & Her Circuit-stances! (Hmm...)

> Azumanga Destron! (I would ~pay~ to see this. . .)

I'd prefer Azumanga Dai-Atlas, myself.

> Mark
> "Thinks Azumanga Daioh showcases the entire range of Decepticon psychology."

...so there's a precocious genius philosophy; a cute-obsessed, stoic
philosophy; and an easily distracted, lateral thinking philosophy?

XGrimlock2002

Nov 19, 2004, 11:11:39 PM11/19/04
Ka Faraq wrote:"If anyone from Hasbro reads the group, not everyone dislikes

Energon. I think it's one of the best lines you've produced."

I also think Energon is the best TF line ever produced. Everything was taking
to the next level like: Articulation,Sculpt,Designs,Colors & so forth.

I don't expect much from the TF cartoon series. Wev'e never had a decent TF
series & we never will. The best TF series I like over the rest is Japanese
Headmasters.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 20, 2004, 7:25:53 AM11/20/04
"Georgia S.E." <piggyba...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Screening several newsgroups and X number of online boards could get
> time consuming (and downright boring) for a company, though. They'd
> almost have to hire a couple people just to keep up with and sift
> through it all. I skim att for for fun when I have some free time,
> and I as a fan can't even keep up with the boards. Just imagine how
> different BW may have been if B&L had all these (relativly) new forums
> to sift through in order to interact with fans instead of just this
> one main newsgroup as was the case. Too many chiefs, not enough
> Indians?

Although Microsoft has a whole staff just to review Bill Gates
emails to make sure he dosen't get any spam.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 20, 2004, 7:26:59 AM11/20/04
"Mark Brown" <mark....@cyberus.ca> wrote in message

> Mark
> "Thinks Azumanga Daioh showcases the entire range of Decepticon
psychology."

LOL Is Tomo, Starscream because she is always number two and
the runner up?

Paul Segal

Nov 20, 2004, 1:24:42 PM11/20/04
Ethan Hammond wrote:

>"Mark Brown" <mark....@cyberus.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> Mark
>> "Thinks Azumanga Daioh showcases the entire range of Decepticon
>psychology."
>
>LOL Is Tomo, Starscream because she is always number two and
>the runner up?

Tomo's number 2? Not in test scores... or athletics...

-Paul Segal
Email: aster...@yahoo.com AIM: asterphage
http://asterphage.lunarpages.com - toy robots and cosplay photos.
Why u always hatin'?

Ka Faraq Gatri

Nov 20, 2004, 3:52:28 PM11/20/04
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:09:05 -0600, Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Nov. 19, 2004, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>> "Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> *SNIP*
>>
>>>Bandai already stole my design with that Sailor fuku wearing Gundam.
>>
>> *SNIP*
>>
>> A Gundam does not preclude the existance of a fuku-garbed TF. In fact, how
>> 'bout a whole line of shoujou-based TFs. . .
>>
>> Sailor Seibertron!
>> Iacon Mew Mew!
>> 'ConCaptor Sakura!
>> Technorganic Fruits Basket!
>
>Duel Headmasters!
>Rave Targetmaster! (Rav Master?)
>CryoTechnoman!
>Powered Masters of the Zodiac!
>
>Oh, wait, we have to keep to stuff with sailor suits, don't we.
>
>Cybertronian Nine!
>His & Her Circuit-stances! (Hmm...)

Saint Tailgate!
Oh My Godmaster!
Ransack 1/2
Destron Hunter Yohko
Magical Seeker Pretty Starscream (and the TV version Magical Project
S)
No Need for Tracks (and the follow-ups Tracks Universe, Tracks in
Iacon)
D.N.Arcee
XXXHoundic

Mark Brown

Nov 20, 2004, 5:36:02 PM11/20/04

> "Mark Brown" wrote
>> "ShadowWing" wrote
*SNIP*

>> > Kind of like Jackpot's Machine Wars pictures make you think he
> screencaped a
>> > cartoon that never existed.)
>> Hey now! Don't insult Jackpot like that. ;)
> I thought it was a complement. His art looked that good.

Yeah, I know. I was just joking about the quality of the (usual) cartoon
animation. . .

>> I was thinking more of the Armada/Energon intermezzo, building on the
>> Minicon superpowers idea:
> Like the video game is supposed to have but I don't know for sure
> because they didn't make the PC version?

I think so (and I'm in the same nonexistent boat as to having the right
console).

*SNIP*

> Sounds like an idea for a movie sequel. Lot of those in anime.

Hmm. An Armada OVA. . .

>> It's kinda like a TF version of the Talisman Hunt on
> Jackie_Chan_Adventures.

*SNIP*

>> "Hah! Strength of an Ox!"
>> *WHAM*
>> "~Inner~ Strength, Hak Fool." --Hak Fu & Tohru
> I think you mean the Tiger talisman. "Spiritual Balance". (Hak thought
> he couldn't be knocked down.) The Ox was physical strength.

Probably. That'll teach me to trust my memories.

Mark
"Thinking that the Tarakudo-arc finale didn't air here; I don't recall
missing any weeks."

Mark Brown

Nov 20, 2004, 6:35:11 PM11/20/04

> On Nov. 19, 2004, Mark Brown wrote:
*SNIP*

>> Sailor Seibertron!
>> Iacon Mew Mew!
>> 'ConCaptor Sakura!
>> Technorganic Fruits Basket!
> Duel Headmasters!
> Rave Targetmaster! (Rav Master?)
> CryoTechnoman!
> Powered Masters of the Zodiac!
> Cybertronian Nine!
> His & Her Circuit-stances! (Hmm...)

Kare Can-Opener? ;)

Well, if you want to get into the more shonen-y stuff:

Transmetal Alchemist!
Shaman Prime!
Digicon!
King of Bandits Swindle!
Robot Bebop!
Tricannon!
Wolfbot's Rain!
Nightbird-chan!
Spark in the Shell!
Energon: The Last Terrorcon!
Accellion Saga!
One (Repro) Piece!
Energon Crisis!
Weiss Cruisers!
Herlock Prime!
Appleseeds of the Future (Lie Buried in the Past)!
Detective Nightbeat (or Casefile_Closed, if you prefer)!
New Dominion Tank Prowl!
Gunrobo Girl!
Gunsmith 'Bots!
Prime of Tennis!
Neon Genesis Beast Machines. . .

Okay, that one'd be kinda redundant. ;)

Read or Stasis-Lock!
Ah! My Quintesson!
Minicon Layer!
Neo-Knights Rayearth!
Slaggers!
Tenchi Mecha!
Love Primal!
Hello Ravage!

And don't forget Miyazaki's stuff:

Arcee's Delivery Service!
Spacebridged Away!
Mononoke Primal!
Nausicaa of the Sonic Canyons!
Howl's Moving Citybot!

>> Mark
>> "Thinks Azumanga Daioh showcases the entire range of Decepticon
>> psychology."
> ...so there's a precocious genius philosophy; a cute-obsessed, stoic
> philosophy; and an easily distracted, lateral thinking philosophy?

I was referring to the group being made up almost entirely of pychos,
nutcases, lunatics, obsessives, and morons.

Mark
"Heck, Ms. Ikari is essentially G1 Galvatron trapped in the body of a human
woman. . ."

Doug Dlin

Nov 20, 2004, 8:11:48 PM11/20/04
On Nov. 20, 2004, Mark Brown wrote:

> "Doug Dlin" <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>>"Thinks Azumanga Daioh showcases the entire range of Decepticon
>>>psychology."
>>
>>...so there's a precocious genius philosophy; a cute-obsessed, stoic
>>philosophy; and an easily distracted, lateral thinking philosophy?
>

> I was referring to the group being made up almost entirely of pychos,
> nutcases, lunatics, obsessives, and morons.

Oh, I'm sure there's more average-level or level-headed Decepticons, but
the more...extreme cases tend to push them into the background.

> Mark
> "Heck, Ms. Ikari is essentially G1 Galvatron trapped in the body of a human
> woman. . ."

Nah, Yukari-sensei is nowhere near as power-hungry. She does have the
selfishness and overreacting bits down pat, though.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 21, 2004, 6:30:28 AM11/21/04
"Paul Segal" <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >LOL Is Tomo, Starscream because she is always number two and
> >the runner up?
>
> Tomo's number 2? Not in test scores... or athletics...

She always says she is number 2 or the runner up.
At least in the sub, I have no idea what they did to her
in the dub.

Jordan L Derber

Nov 21, 2004, 6:48:02 AM11/21/04
In article <20041120132442...@mb-m01.aol.com>,

Paul Segal <jask...@aol.com> wrote:
>>LOL Is Tomo, Starscream because she is always number two and
>>the runner up?
>
>Tomo's number 2? Not in test scores... or athletics...

Tomo is actually Junko ("Kelly" in RiD), AI-chan, and Artemis. At least
her Japanese voice actress is.

See "Chieko Higuchi" under female seiyuu at
http://www.tfpulp.com/archive/seiyuu/seiyuu.html

--
Jordan Derber
e-mail: jsdst5 at pitt.edu
jsd_d305 at hotmail.com

Jordan L Derber

Nov 21, 2004, 7:23:28 AM11/21/04
In article <cnpv9i$3o0$1...@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,

Jordan L Derber <jsd...@unixs1.cis.pitt.edu> wrote:
>Tomo is actually Junko ("Kelly" in RiD), AI-chan, and Artemis. At least
>her Japanese voice actress is.
>
>See "Chieko Higuchi" under female seiyuu at
>http://www.tfpulp.com/archive/seiyuu/seiyuu.html

Hmm,I linked to Chieko's web page on the above site but it looks like it's
no longer up. I'll fix it later.

Paul Segal

Nov 21, 2004, 7:58:58 PM11/21/04
Ethan Hammond wrote:

>"Paul Segal" <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> >LOL Is Tomo, Starscream because she is always number two and
>> >the runner up?
>>
>> Tomo's number 2? Not in test scores... or athletics...
>
>She always says she is number 2 or the runner up.
>At least in the sub, I have no idea what they did to her
>in the dub.

Yeah, but... she's not ACTUALLY second-best at anything.

I think Kagura is Starscream to Sakaki's Megatron.

Doug Dlin

Nov 21, 2004, 10:58:33 PM11/21/04
On Nov. 21, 2004, Paul Segal wrote:

> I think Kagura is Starscream to Sakaki's Megatron.

Nah, Sakaki would be Soundwave so Maya could be her Ravage.

Paul Segal

Nov 22, 2004, 3:24:56 AM11/22/04
Doug Dlin wrote:

>On Nov. 21, 2004, Paul Segal wrote:
>
>> I think Kagura is Starscream to Sakaki's Megatron.
>
>Nah, Sakaki would be Soundwave so Maya could be her Ravage.

So then Chiyo-chan's father from Sakaki's new year's dream would be Megatron?

Ethan Hammond

Nov 22, 2004, 5:05:33 AM11/22/04
"Paul Segal" <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >She always says she is number 2 or the runner up.
> >At least in the sub, I have no idea what they did to her
> >in the dub.
>
> Yeah, but... she's not ACTUALLY second-best at anything.
>
> I think Kagura is Starscream to Sakaki's Megatron.

No, no, no because Starscream isn't actually the second best at
anything either he is just loud and crazy, much like Tomo.

Ethan Hammond

Nov 22, 2004, 6:13:01 AM11/22/04
"Paul Segal" <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> I think Kagura is Starscream to Sakaki's Megatron.
>
> >Nah, Sakaki would be Soundwave so Maya could be her Ravage.
>
> So then Chiyo-chan's father from Sakaki's new year's dream would be
Megatron?

How can you be a Decepticon, even though you are so red?

Paul Segal

Nov 23, 2004, 1:51:40 PM11/23/04
Ethan Hammond wrote:

>> >Nah, Sakaki would be Soundwave so Maya could be her Ravage.
>>
>> So then Chiyo-chan's father from Sakaki's new year's dream would be
>Megatron?
>
>How can you be a Decepticon, even though you are so red?

EAT ENERGON, CHIYO. I DON'T CARE IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.