YES, SPLIT THIS NEWSGROUP!!

Akahige666

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Create "alt.toys.beastwars"!

I am tired of the BW freaks opposing the split because it will cause festering
anti-Beast Wars hatred.

I am a fan of the old "G1" Transformers, and you know what? I've never posted
one "BEASTWARS SUCKS!" post.
Big Bad Beetleborgs sucks. I just have no interest in BW. To me it isn't
Transformers. No Autobots, no Decepticons. Takara no longer makes the toys.
Toei no longer animates the show.

A lot of other people feel the same way I do. Most of the "G1 only" fans are
very polite. I feel that it is the G1 fans who are being persecuted. I see
several posts every day that run down the old toys, calling them "statues" and
such. When I've emailed some of these people, sometimes it turns out they've
never even seen the toys they were running down.

Most of these "BEAST WARS SUCKS" posts are just trolls, not G1 fans. And those
that are from G1 fans are probably sick of having BW shoved down their throats.
If anyone has anything that could possibly be perceived as anti-BW there are
30 follow-ups that say how stupid that person is, or they try to covince them
why they should like BW more than G1.

In short, I believe that giving BW its own NG would cut down the hatred.

Josh (A.K.A. Akahige-sama)

Message has been deleted

Steph Graves

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

MegatronForever wrote:

> Akahige666 <akahi...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19980310071...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

> > Create "alt.toys.beastwars"!
> >
> > I am tired of the BW freaks opposing the split because it will cause
> festering
> > anti-Beast Wars hatred.
> >
> > I am a fan of the old "G1" Transformers, and you know what? I've never
> posted
> > one "BEASTWARS SUCKS!" post.
> > Big Bad Beetleborgs sucks. I just have no interest in BW. To me it
> isn't
> > Transformers. No Autobots, no Decepticons. Takara no longer makes the
> toys.
> > Toei no longer animates the show.
> I feel exactly the same way-I have no interest in BW because it no longer
> concentrates on the character designs and personalities I cherished as a
> child. I think a split is neccesary, as for any large collecting group
> there tends to specific splits ie: star wars vintage &star wars.misc. I
> feel that not spliing would be a diservice to both BW and G1 fans.

And what exactly would us G1 fans talk about? Except for the toy
auctions, rants to split the group, and rant against Raksha's opion
(which turn out to be moral debates), WHAT DO G1 FANS TALK ABOUT!!
I stop here at a.t.t. every other day, and I'm lucky to see a post
relating to G1 let alone a thread.
Why don't the anti BW people do something creative like **writing post
about G1** instead of crying about beastwars.

Steph Graves

Message has been deleted

Wonko the Sane

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Akahige666 (akahi...@aol.com) wrote:
> Big Bad Beetleborgs sucks. I just have no interest in BW. To me it isn't
> Transformers. No Autobots, no Decepticons.

Starscream appeared in two eps, the Autobots and Decepticons have
been mentioned as still existing. They're in the "universe" of the
series, it's not as if the show denies their existence.

> Takara no longer makes the toys. Toei no longer animates the show.

Takara designers are very much engaged with Hasbro in the design
of Beast Wars Transformers toys according to the designers of BW. The toy
designs involve collaboration between Hasbro and Takara.

Toei animated the movie, but I had thought Sunbow animated the
original show? Anyone know for sure?

> Most of these "BEAST WARS SUCKS" posts are just trolls, not G1 fans. And those
> that are from G1 fans are probably sick of having BW shoved down their throats.

I am one of Beast Wars' most staunch defenders, just because I may
state the facts to counter half truths such as "BW has NOTHING to do with
the original show!" I am shoving it down *no one's* show. However, I do
believe if you are going to critique anything, have your facts straight.

> If anyone has anything that could possibly be perceived as anti-BW there are
> 30 follow-ups that say how stupid that person is, or they try to covince them
> why they should like BW more than G1.

Again you make the mistake of assuming BW fans are "shoving BW"
down people's throats. Most people are just stating that they can like BW
just as much as they like G1 and the reasons why. Do these types of posts
come down to flames? Yes, at times they do. But it is not always because
BW fans do the shoving first.

> In short, I believe that giving BW its own NG would cut down the hatred.

Not really. All it will do is send the message that we Beast Wars
fans need to be pushed away from the Transformers group because of what we
like. Not a positive message IMO.

Ben
ye...@is2.nyu.edu

Dalmatian

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Akahige666 wrote:

> Create "alt.toys.beastwars"!

Not that having such a group is a terrible thing, I just don't think
the current standing of BW justifies having a newsgroup all to
itself....yet anyway.

> I am tired of the BW freaks opposing the split because it will cause festering
> anti-Beast Wars hatred.

If they feel they way I do, I think BW is as much Transformers as Beetle
Borgs closely ressembles compost.
Bashing BW TFs to me is just like bashing TFs all together. \:|
I love my BW TFs. The toys, the show, the.....well...most of the
characters. :)

> I am a fan of the old "G1" Transformers, and you know what? I've never posted
> one "BEASTWARS SUCKS!" post.
> Big Bad Beetleborgs sucks.

Hooo, we agreed on something here. :)

I just have no interest in BW. To me it isn't

> Transformers. No Autobots, no Decepticons. Takara no longer makes the toys.

They're involved in the process though.

> Toei no longer animates the show.

I say we're lucky. :)

> A lot of other people feel the same way I do. Most of the "G1 only" fans are
> very polite. I feel that it is the G1 fans who are being persecuted. I see
> several posts every day that run down the old toys, calling them "statues" and
> such.

I don't know what they're saying (must be the young, young kids or
something), but how can they negatively comment on our beloved
predecessors? Again, I don't like that, just as much as I don't like
saying "BW have chewed caramel head."

> Most of these "BEAST WARS SUCKS" posts are just trolls, not G1 fans. And those
> that are from G1 fans are probably sick of having BW shoved down their throats.

Having a BW newsgroup is not going to solve this. Trolls couldn't care
less. \:|

> If anyone has anything that could possibly be perceived as anti-BW there are
> 30 follow-ups that say how stupid that person is, or they try to covince them
> why they should like BW more than G1.

They're just defending what they love. Or....they have a sick need for
attention. Something like that anyway.

> In short, I believe that giving BW its own NG would cut down the hatred.

That really wouldn't stop it. If anything, it would increase it. It
would be like two distinct sides (with people inbetween). If one group
says something negative about the other, a huge never ending flame war
would start with both groups, making TF life even more of a burden here.
Not that I find TF life a burden here. :) Some people do though.

Dalmatian

> Josh (A.K.A. Akahige-sama)

Robotech_Master

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

On 10 Mar 1998 07:13:34 GMT, Akahige666 <akahi...@aol.com> wrote:
> Create "alt.toys.beastwars"!

> I am tired of the BW freaks opposing the split because it will cause
> festering anti-Beast Wars hatred.

I would recommend you going to news.groups and participating in the
RFD: rec.toys.transformers.* discussion, then.

Although calling Beast Wars fans "freaks" doesn't exactly help your
case...
--
Chris Meadows aka | http://www.eyrie.org/~robotech/index.html
Robotech_Master | -----------------------------------------

Wonko the Sane

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

MegatronForever (Megatro...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
> Actually, I often avoid this newsgroup because much of the news and
> material is devoted to BW and not G1.
> I think many G1 fans do the same and not post for fear that their G1 posts
> will be ignored or possibly flamed

Then their fears are unfounded. Many interesting G1/G2 based
posts have come up lately (Grappler/Hauler, Characterizations from tech
specs to cartoon etc.). Some G1 posts are actually *started* by BW fans.
Doesn't seem like there's much to fear.

Ben
ye...@is2.nyu.edu

Andrew Crane

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

MegatronForever <Megatro...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6e3jmv$e...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

> Actually, I often avoid this newsgroup because much of the news and
> material is devoted to BW and not G1.
> I think many G1 fans do the same and not post for fear that their G1
posts
> will be ignored or possibly flamed

Yeah, and exactly *what* news is there about G1, anyway? It's a toy line
that ended in 1992, remember!

Of course there is going to be more news about Beast Wars; it's an exciting
new take on the Transformers mythos, and it has certainly increased my
Transfandom.
Whenever I see Beast Wars TFs being sold, it makes my feel contented that
Hasbro haven't left our favourite toy-line to rot, and let's face it, they
could easily have.
--
Andrew Crane

Bashing BW = Bashing Transformers
BW Bashers = Trolls

John Bartos

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

MegatronForever wrote in message <6e3jmv$e...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>Actually, I often avoid this newsgroup because much of the news and
>material is devoted to BW and not G1.
>I think many G1 fans do the same and not post for fear that their G1 posts
>will be ignored or possibly flamed

One word: BULLSHIT. No one here has gotten flamed for posting a G1 message,
and lots of G1-related topics are carried on here without any problems you
describe. If you don't believe me, check through DejaNews and find evidence
of your (fictional) problems.

John

John Bartos

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

MegatronForever wrote in message <6e3cd0$8...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

> I feel exactly the same way-I have no interest in BW because it no longer
>concentrates on the character designs and personalities I cherished as a
>child. I think a split is neccesary, as for any large collecting group
>there tends to specific splits ie: star wars vintage &star wars.misc. I
>feel that not spliing would be a diservice to both BW and G1 fans.

Ah, you forgot that the Star Wars new stuff and vintage split was very well
warranted because rec.arts.sf.starwars.collecting.misc was getting 1000+ new
posts a day on POTF2 and related stuff. This is not the case here.

John

Message has been deleted

NeoTrent

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

>I do not understand what the diffuculty is-BW is one aspect of TF and G1 is
>another-I do not want to have to download and sift through BW posts to get
>what I want to read-it's purely a matter of convience on both sides.

Convience for you is not convience for both sides... There are alot of
cross-show posts, dealing with comparisons, etc. What about G2 and machine
wars? What about convetions? Why not just break it all up like this?
alt.toys.transformers.fanfic
alt.toys.transformers.marketplace
alt.toys.transformers.g1
alt.toys.transformers.g2
alt.toys.transformers.machinewars
alt.toys.transformers.beastwars.
alt.toys.transformers.multi-series
alt.toys.transformers.comics
alt.toys.transformers.conventions

There you go, no one has to read anything they don't want then. No problems
for those who don't want to "pick through" a type of message they don't like.
No nusances for those poor, put upon souls who just can't stand how the evil BW
points clog up what they want to hear.

Oh, and why stop there? We can add these too:
alt.toys.transformers.beastwars.fuzors
alt.toys.transformers.beastwars.transmetal
alt.toys.transformers.g1.pre-movie
alt.toys.transformers.g1.post-movie
alt.toys.transformers.ranting.dave
alt.toys.transformers.ranting.jung
alt.toys.transformers.ranting.raksha
alt.toys.transformers.spoilers.canadian
alt.toys.transformers.spoilers.cartoonnetwork
alt.toys.transformers.I.don't.want.to.read.this.we.need.another.group

It starts getting real silly... doesn't it? Well, I have a little bit of news
for everyone... it is silly right now. It was silly with the last two
splits... and if you can't regulate your own reading to your own satisfaction,
maybe you shouldn't be on the big bad internet. We don't need segregation, we
don't need censors... we need some people to stand up and take some
responsiblity for their own reading habits, and leave well enough alone.

-Trent..

"I'm mad as hell, and you know the rest"

>I am not anti Beast Wars, but I am just not interested in Beast Wars. As
>for not being a true fan for not liking BW even if BW and G1 are to share
>the same fictional universe, if you read comics do you read and like
>everything marverl puts out,even if each comic exists in the same universe.

----
Always hunting mecha toys, Gundam, Macross,
Mospeda, Transformers and knockoffs of the like.
-

Johnny

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Enough of this talk about splitting the newsgroup. Both Gen1 people and
Beast Wars people can get along. I haven't seen enough of Beast Wars to say
anything, and even though the majority of the people here are Beast Wars
fans, I think we Gen1 people can still find things to talk about.

Johnny

John Runski

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Steph Graves wrote:
> And what exactly would us G1 fans talk about? Except for the toy
> auctions, rants to split the group, and rant against Raksha's opion
> (which turn out to be moral debates), WHAT DO G1 FANS TALK ABOUT!!
> I stop here at a.t.t. every other day, and I'm lucky to see a post
> relating to G1 let alone a thread.
> Why don't the anti BW people do something creative like **writing post
> about G1** instead of crying about beastwars.
>
> Steph Graves

If you are so convinced there is no worthy G1 discussion, then why do
you even care?

Lots of very interesting G1 discussion have taken place over the past 2
1/2 years I've been here. Unfortunately, they are currently being lost
in a flood a "Spoiler Warnings". Like other people, I too often have to
skip ATT just because there is too much of that to wade through these
days. I just don't have hours on end to spend on the internet.

John

John Runski

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Wonko the Sane wrote:

> > In short, I believe that giving BW its own NG would cut down the hatred.
>

> Not really. All it will do is send the message that we Beast Wars
> fans need to be pushed away from the Transformers group because of what we
> like. Not a positive message IMO.
>
> Ben
> ye...@is2.nyu.edu

As much as I support splitting the NG 100%, this is the WRONG way to do
it. If you want a G1-only group, you make one. This kind of thinking is
the reason we now have two groups to post "for sale" ads in: ATT & ATTM.

You can't throw someone out of an existing group.

John

John Runski

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

It's not a matter of getting along. It's a matter of 200+ posts a day
with no sign of slowing. We need to cut down the traffic....

John

Tim Gross

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

I think spliting the the group is wrong. One because I will not be able to read the G1 posts any more for the same reason I can't get alt.toys.transformers.marketplace or if the they make a beastwars group I would not be able to read that. I also can not read the Fanfic one. I like both BW and the Origional G1 and G2 transformers. and I think it is stupid that some People have to Flame other Transfans just because they do not like what they like. Look I am glad everyone likes sertain parts of the Transformer Generations, but just because someone does not Like G1 or BW, he still is a Transformer Fan even though he only likes one side. Also I think it is stupid when either side makes asumptions about things they do not know about.

For Example

Megatron BW is not G1/G2 Megatron

or BW has nothing to do with G1/G2 that is were you are wrong

All of the Origional Charictors still are on Cybertron, they just can not but them on the show at this point in time because Hasbro does not Want to put out the money. However, Starscream appeared twice on the show, as well as Unicron, and Galvatron apeared once.

IF you still do not like BW that is OK

I like Both and just because I like BW does not Make me a Freak!!!!

and until you make asumptions why don't you try to Post G1 stuff then being afraid to. if anyone Flames you for it, then let me know, BECAUSE I WILL FLAME THEM FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! (THAT GOES FOR ANY G1/G2 FAN)

Why can't we all just get along.

Sincerely,
          Mit

Check out my Website:

http://members.tripod.com/~maskvenom

John Bartos

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

MegatronForever wrote in message <6e50sk$3...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>only subscribe to the group that pertains to your interest.
>I belive G1 fans do ignore this group and may fear posting to this group as
>their posts may be lost in the crowd. Flamed? Yes, the moment any G1 fan
>publicly affirms his love for G1 and a disinterest or despisal of BW, he is
>flamed. I, a devout G1 follower, was decalred by yourself as not a true
>transformer fan, because I don't follow BW. Although such dribble would
>shake some, it did not discourage me from pursuing this thread, but one
>could easily see how such ardent and unwarranted criticisim would
>discourage some from posting.

Once again, this is BS. My challenge to you to sift through DejaNews and
find evidence that G1 fans are afraid to post here or have been flamed for
posting G1-related topics still stands.

John

White Cat

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

MegatronForever wrote:

> Actually, I often avoid this newsgroup because much of the news and
> material is devoted to BW and not G1.
> I think many G1 fans do the same and not post for fear that their G1
> posts will be ignored

They'll be ignored a whole lot more if they're not posted.

> or possibly flamed

Gimme a break. Yeah, anyone who dares talk about G1 is immediately put
in the same category as Qweena.

.'. | Extra-Topping Speedy, a.k.a. White Cat |
|\ _|_|_ /| | |
|\ ,-' .|. `-. /| | "Is this the end of the Pizza Cats? Or just |
\`-._,'|'._,-'/ | a good place to put a commercial?" |
|`-.|_(_)_|,-'| | - The Narrator |
/|| o | o ||\ | |
\|'.__.|.__.'|/ |Speedy's Samurai Pizza Cats WWW Hall of Fame |
\|== | ==|/ |http://www.kneehill.com/~karye/spcwwwhof.htm |
`---|_|---' |_____________________________________________|

Ben

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Akahige666 wrote:
> Big Bad Beetleborgs sucks. I just have no interest in BW. To me it > isn't

> Transformers. No Autobots, no Decepticons. Takara no longer makes > the toys.

I think Takara still does... it says "Takara 1995" on croc megatrons
jaw. My 1 cents...

Wonko the Sane

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

MegatronForever (Megatro...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
> I do not understand what the diffuculty is-BW is one aspect of TF and G1 is
> another-I do not want to have to download and sift through BW posts to get
> what I want to read-it's purely a matter of convience on both sides.
> I am not anti Beast Wars, but I am just not interested in Beast Wars. As
> for not being a true fan for not liking BW even if BW and G1 are to share
> the same fictional universe, if you read comics do you read and like
> everything marverl puts out,even if each comic exists in the same universe.

I think you missed John's point. You originally posted that G1
fans would fear posting G1 posts here because they might get flamed. That
is untrue. Please take a look through G1 posts in dejanews to find that
BW fans can indeed enjoy G1 related posts.

Ben
ye...@is2.nyu.edu

Akahige666

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

>One word: BULLSHIT. No one here has gotten flamed for posting a G1 message,
>and lots of G1-related topics are carried on here without any problems you
>describe.

This is what I'm talking about. Hostility at someone for expressing an
opinion. Most of the flaming I've received is over e-mail, not on the NG. In
fact, here's one I just got:

>>Subj: Re: YES, SPLIT THIS NEWSGROUP!!
>>Date: 98-03-10 14:45:11 EST
>>From: And...@cybertron.prestel.co.uk (Andrew Crane)
>>To: akahi...@aol.com (Akahige666)
>>Us Beast Wars fans "freaks"? Ha! Hopeless bugger! You've >>burried yourself
>>there, you clueless gimboid! You're the freak, if anyone is, >>living off so
much nostalgia.
Let me clarify liking BW doesn't make you a freak. One who is obsessed with it
and has to form a group to protect against "defamation" is. Get a life. It's
just a TV show/toy line.

This guy is proving exactly what I'm saying. I'm stupid for preferring G1.
I'm "living off so much nostalgia", whatever the hell that means.

And, no, Takara really has nothing to do with TF anymore, they're just
co-owners of the copyright.

And I do prefer hand-drawn anime to CG. Please don't e-mail me and tell me why
that's wrong, you won't change my mind.

I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings, but there is enough of a reason to
split this NG. People acted like creating a.t.t.m would bring upon
Armageddon, but everything's fine.

People are also saying I'm a whiner because I don't want to read BW posts. I
say you people that say that are the whiners if simply subscribing to another
NG is too much work for you!

Abayo

Hakai Taitei Akahige

Message has been deleted

Blurr

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98
to MegatronForever

I think G1 is great. It was a big part of my childhood. Great toys followed by a
great cartoon and movie. However, times have changed, and kids (and TF fans
reliving their childhood) now have the same feeling for beast wars. They are one
in the same. The same force that pushes us apart, is also the force keeping us
together. Can't we all just get along? I have the perfect solution to all people
who want to avoid a certain type of post. Set your browsers to this URL
http://www.download.com , and download a (free) newsreader with kill file
options. Then enter in what you don't like, and you won't see it anymore!!!

Anthony

MegatronForever wrote:

> It is not a matter of BW fans enjoying G1 posts-it is a matter of wheter G1
> fans should have to sift through Bw posts and Bw fans through G1 posts. If
> you enjoy both then you can subscribe to both groups, if not, than you can

> only subscribe to the group that pertains to your interest.
> I belive G1 fans do ignore this group and may fear posting to this group as
> their posts may be lost in the crowd. Flamed? Yes, the moment any G1 fan
> publicly affirms his love for G1 and a disinterest or despisal of BW, he is
> flamed. I, a devout G1 follower, was decalred by yourself as not a true
> transformer fan, because I don't follow BW. Although such dribble would
> shake some, it did not discourage me from pursuing this thread, but one
> could easily see how such ardent and unwarranted criticisim would
> discourage some from posting.
>

> eric duchak
> megatro...@worldnet.att.net

Robotech_Master

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Again, I'd just like to note that the people involved in this thread
should hie themselves over to news.groups and read the
rec.toys.transformers.* RFD discussion therein. The RFD includes a
proposal _to_ split the newsgroup, and I think people on both sides
need to be aware of that.
--
Chris Meadows aka | ICQ UIN: 5477383
Robotech_Master | http://www.eyrie.org/~robotech/index.html

Ari X

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

MegatronForever wrote:

> > I think you missed John's point. You originally posted that G1
> > fans would fear posting G1 posts here because they might get flamed.
> That
> > is untrue. Please take a look through G1 posts in dejanews to find that
> > BW fans can indeed enjoy G1 related posts.
> >
> It is not a matter of BW fans enjoying G1 posts-it is a matter of wheter G1
> fans should have to sift through Bw posts and Bw fans through G1 posts. If
> you enjoy both then you can subscribe to both groups, if not, than you can
> only subscribe to the group that pertains to your interest.

First of all, I'm sure that 95% of the BW fans don't "wade through" G1
posts. Almost all BW fans are G1 fans! I know I love BW, but I love G1
even more.

> I belive G1 fans do ignore this group and may fear posting to this group as
> their posts may be lost in the crowd. Flamed? Yes, the moment any G1 fan
> publicly affirms his love for G1 and a disinterest or despisal of BW, he is
> flamed. I, a devout G1 follower, was decalred by yourself as not a true
> transformer fan, because I don't follow BW. Although such dribble would
> shake some, it did not discourage me from pursuing this thread, but one
> could easily see how such ardent and unwarranted criticisim would
> discourage some from posting.

When people post long diatribes saying how much G1 rules and BW sucks,
they should expect to be flamed, because they are flaming in the first
place. A while back Carcarchadon (aka Thylacine 2000) started some
great intelligent posts about the BW show vs. the G1 show. You'll never
get flamed for a post like that.

--
~Ar...@aol.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8076/arix.htm
****************

Robert A. Jung

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

In article <19980310232...@ladder03.news.aol.com> neot...@aol.com (NeoTrent) writes:
> alt.toys.transformers.ranting.jung

Considering how infrequent my net.access is lately ("Code of Hero" spoilers?
Haven't seen any), this would be a pointless group to create. Just lump me in
with alt.toys.transformers.ranting.old-codgers... B-)

--R.J.
B-)

"I write because I am personally amused by what I do, and if other people are
amused by it, then it's fine. If they're not, then that's also fine."
Send mail to rj...@netcom.com --Frank Zappa
------- Visit Rob on the web! ------ http://www.digiserve.com/eescape/ -------

Wonko the Sane

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

MegatronForever (Megatro...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
> flamed. I, a devout G1 follower, was decalred by yourself as not a true
> transformer fan, because I don't follow BW.

Please go to www.dejanews.com to find the post where I said you
were not a true TF fan because you didn't like Beast Wars. I have NEVER
made such an accusation about anyone! If false claims and insults are the
banner that the alt.toys.transformers.g1 group would fall under, then I
oppose its creation more than ever.

Ben
ye...@is2.nyu.edu

Wazzpin8or

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Robotech_Master wrote...
:::: Again, I'd just like to note that the people involved in this thread

should hie themselves over to news.groups and read the
rec.toys.transformers.* RFD discussion therein. The RFD includes a proposal
_to_ split the newsgroup, and I think people on both sides need to be aware of
that. ::::

This are something that I don't understand. I guess I'm just ignorant of such
things but...

What purpose does creating a rec group or groups serve?

What is the difference between a rec group and an alt group?

If rec groups are created, why/how would that affect this group?

Could some explain this? I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who is in
the dark on such matters.

-Kil
-------
Michael Kilborn McCarthy, known simply as Kil
Wazzp...@aol.com
Kilb...@aol.com
nAo (New Age Outlaws) 4 Life
Visit Kil's Waspinator Worship Page at
http://members.aol.com/Wazzpin8or/index.html
"Waspinator... never... surrenderzzz!!!!"

Robotech_Master

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

[Crossposting this into news.groups as part of the RFD discussion.]

On 11 Mar 1998 16:03:36 GMT, Wazzpin8or <wazzp...@aol.com> wrote:

> This are something that I don't understand. I guess I'm just
> ignorant of such things but...

> What purpose does creating a rec group or groups serve?

> What is the difference between a rec group and an alt group?

To answer both these questions at once, the rec hierarchy is more
"official" than the alt hierarchy, due to the central authority of
"tale" (aka David Lawrence). This means that more Usenet sites will
be willing to pick the group(s) up, just on tale's sayso, and it
should get wider distribution than plain old alt.toys.transformers,
which means more transfans would have access to it.

> If rec groups are created, why/how would that affect this group?

In the most literal sense, it wouldn't affect alt.toys.transformers.*
at all; alt.toys.transformers would still be here. However, many
people would probably move on to the rec groups, or at least
crosspost. The alt group might die out, or then again it might
continue cheerfully on for years.

> Could some explain this? I'm sure I'm not the only one around here
> who is in the dark on such matters.

Hope that helps. You might want to do a websearch and/or read some
news.announce.newusers FAQs about the issue.

NeoTrent

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

>In article <19980310232...@ladder03.news.aol.com> neot...@aol.com
>(NeoTrent) writes:
>> alt.toys.transformers.ranting.jung
>
> Considering how infrequent my net.access is lately ("Code of Hero"
>spoilers?
>Haven't seen any), this would be a pointless group to create. Just lump me
>in
>with alt.toys.transformers.ranting.old-codgers... B-)

Oooohh..... that's a good one. :) And lets not forget
alt.toys.transformers.flying.trees
alt.toys.transformers.witwicky.die.die.die
alt.toys.transformers.irc-wars

The list grows... ideally, we'll only get three posts per newsgroup per day,
that way no one will have to wade thru anything.

-Trent being sarcastic

Wazzpin8or

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Robotech_Master wrote...

:::: On 11 Mar 1998 16:03:36 GMT, Wazzpin8or <wazzp...@aol.com> wrote:

> This are something that I don't understand. I guess I'm just
> ignorant of such things but...

> What purpose does creating a rec group or groups serve?

> What is the difference between a rec group and an alt group?

To answer both these questions at once, the rec hierarchy is more
"official" than the alt hierarchy, due to the central authority of
"tale" (aka David Lawrence). This means that more Usenet sites will be willing
to pick the group(s) up, just on tale's sayso, and it
should get wider distribution than plain old alt.toys.transformers,
which means more transfans would have access to it.

> If rec groups are created, why/how would that affect this group?

In the most literal sense, it wouldn't affect alt.toys.transformers.*
at all; alt.toys.transformers would still be here. However, many
people would probably move on to the rec groups, or at least
crosspost. The alt group might die out, or then again it might

continue cheerfully on for years. ::::

Ah. I see now. Thanks.

BluePard

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Tim Gross wrote:
> All of the Origional Charictors still are on Cybertron, they just can
> not but them on the show at this point in time because Hasbro does not
> Want to put out the money. However, Starscream appeared twice on the
> show, as well as Unicron, and Galvatron apeared once.

When did he appear? Missed that one.
--
__ ^--^ _ BluePard-http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/palms/2115
/ \_-/'-'/ \ "I live in a world of dreams. But I sleep at times, and
| _// /| | dream, and wonder if the dreams of a dream are,
|,( \\,,/\\,,| in reality, reality."

"...and if I scare away war, ho! A medal to me!" --Aura Lastwings

Doug Dlin

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

On Nov. 11, 1998, Wonko the Sane wrote:

> MegatronForever (Megatro...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
>> flamed. I, a devout G1 follower, was decalred by yourself as not a
>> true transformer fan, because I don't follow BW.
>
> Please go to www.dejanews.com to find the post where I said you
> were not a true TF fan because you didn't like Beast Wars. I have
> NEVER made such an accusation about anyone!

I second that suggestion. I would peg Ben as one of the LAST people who
would make such a statement. Ben is an avowed fan of all aspects of TF,
and one of the most tolerant people I've met here. He has always gone
with the philosophy that someone who likes TFs in some fashion is a
"true TF fan" no matter which aspects of TFs (s)he likes or doesn't
like. Are you sure, MegatronForever, that you're not misattributing
that accusation? Someone else might have said it in a post that quoted
Ben, and you may have misread the quote hierarchy or some such.

Doug Dlin
ap...@hotmail.com

Message has been deleted

Doug Dlin

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98
to MegatronForever

[Sent to both email and a.t.t., to avoid the pitfalls of newsfeed
glitches]

On Mar. 12, 1998, MegatronForever wrote:

> there was a commemnt made to the efdfect at the end of the post to the
> effeect of:
> bw=transformers
> bw haters=transformer hater
>
> who this is attributed to, I don't know, I thought it was Ben, but if you
> are so worried about it do the dejanews search yourself.

Very well, since you're unwilling to do so, I've taken the five minutes
to hunt up this thread and track down the appropriate posts. I believe
this is the one you mean:
Subject: Re: YES, SPLIT THIS NEWSGROUP!!
From: "Andrew Crane" <and...@cybertron.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/10
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers

[Subscribe to alt.toys.transformers]
[More Headers]

MegatronForever <Megatro...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6e3jmv$e...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

> Actually, I often avoid this newsgroup because much of the news and
> material is devoted to BW and not G1.
> I think many G1 fans do the same and not post for fear that their G1

> posts will be ignored or possibly flamed

Yeah, and exactly *what* news is there about G1, anyway? It's a toy line
that ended in 1992, remember!

Of course there is going to be more news about Beast Wars; it's an
exciting new take on the Transformers mythos, and it has certainly
increased my Transfandom. Whenever I see Beast Wars TFs being sold, it
makes my feel contented that Hasbro haven't left our favourite toy-line
to rot, and let's face it, they could easily have.
--
Andrew Crane

Bashing BW = Bashing Transformers
BW Bashers = Trolls

Now, granted, a post from Ben that also replied to you did immediately
follow this one in the thread. However, even setting the misattribution
aside, let's take a look at your interpretation of those last two lines
again:

> bw=transformers
> bw haters=transformer hater

That is not what the original says at all. One can be a BW-bashing
troll and still like TFs, at least all TFs outside of BW. Neither does
the original say ANYTHING about who is or isn't a true TF fan.

>-It is no bid deal to me that I stepped on somebody's toes

Then if someone ever steps on yours, presumably you won't make any
fuss. Fair is fair, after all.

Doug Dlin
ap...@hotmail.com

Ka Faraq Gatri

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

On 10 Mar 1998 14:45:51 GMT, "MegatronForever"
<Megatro...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Actually, I often avoid this newsgroup because much of the news and
>material is devoted to BW and not G1.

This is true, but that's simply because Beast Wars is current.

>I think many G1 fans do the same and not post for fear that their G1 posts
>will be ignored or possibly flamed

Why would people flame someone for a G1 post? Quite a few of the
"Beast Wars fans" here started out with G1, myself included. I like
Beast Wars, but it hasn't made me stop liking or forget G1. There's
room in my heart and my collection for both. I don't consider myself a
"BW fan" or a "G1 fan". I'm a fan of Transformers, in all their forms.
And I know a lot of the people here feel the same way.

This newsgroup is meant for fans of _all_ Transformers. G1, G2,
Machine Wars, Beast Wars, and whatever else HasKen may come up with in
the future. Don't let the volume of Beast Wars posts stop you from
starting threads. Come up with an interesting topic, and the posts
will follow.
Dave Connell aka Ka Faraq Gatri
kfg...@voicenet.com
"The strongest tyrant cannot crush freedom of thought." Brainstorm
G++ FR+ M+ (3) D+++ AA+ N++ W+ B++ OQP BC97++ MU-
<Warning - spam block activated - remove to e-mail>

Ka Faraq Gatri

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

On 10 Mar 1998 21:16:47 GMT, "MegatronForever"
<Megatro...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I do not understand what the diffuculty is-BW is one aspect of TF and G1 is
>another-I do not want to have to download and sift through BW posts to get
>what I want to read-it's purely a matter of convience on both sides.

But it's not a case of "both sides". It's not a case of "people who
like G1" vs. "people who like BW". Quite a few of us (probably the
majority, I'd say) like G1 _and_ BW, and read posts on both. It
wouldn't be convenient for us to have to read two or more groups.

Raksha

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

On 11 Mar 1998 03:36:52 GMT, "MegatronForever"

<Megatro...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>It is not a matter of BW fans enjoying G1 posts-it is a matter of wheter G1
>fans should have to sift through Bw posts and Bw fans through G1 posts.

This is the big problem, I agree......

>I belive G1 fans do ignore this group and may fear posting to this group as
>their posts may be lost in the crowd. Flamed? Yes, the moment any G1 fan
>publicly affirms his love for G1 and a disinterest or despisal of BW, he is
>flamed.

Personally I've never had the experience of being flamed simply for
affirming my love for G1 -- maybe because those flames have gotten
overwhelmed by the ones I catch for publically affirming my love for
the Decepticons. ;) But seriously, I think the second half of your
statement is far more common -- gods forbid anyone point out the very
extensive *problems* with BW, and explain in detail why they find it
personally detestable! So certainly, when the overall mood of the
group is pro-BW, it's going to be a bit of a turn-off to a lot of
people who much prefer to keep their discussions to G1/G2/etc. ... the
"classics." And this really is the reason for splitting the group --
so that those people can have a place to find what they want to
discuss, without having to wade through floods of BW posts.
Someone griped that the G1 fans, instead of moaning about BW,
should simply start up G1 posts. Well, guess what -- we have. And
they get totally drowned out. I for one find it almost impossible to
wade through the morass of largely irrelevant posts, to go back and
find the thread that interested me and make the replies I'd like to
make. By the time I've *found* it -- and perhaps gotten sidetracked
by a bunch of other things in the process -- my time tends to be
up.....

> I, a devout G1 follower, was decalred by yourself as not a true
>transformer fan, because I don't follow BW.

Wait, wait, wait. I don't know who said this to you, but it wasn't
Ben. He may be the ultimate Mr. Beast Wars around here, but I know
him, and he's a major G1 fan as well. In fact, when BW came up, there
was a lot of furor stirred up by people who called BW fans "untrue
fans," and I know Ben caught some of that flak, and he wouldn't go
turn it around against someone else. The disagreement here is on the
proposed newsgroup split. You and I and other like-minded people are
for it, for the reasons that have been mentioned, while Ben and other
like-minded people are against it. While I'm still having a hard time
following their reasoning (seeing as a separate "classics" group would
in no way damage the existing ATT), remember that it's about a
difference in focus rather than a contest of "who's a bigger fan."

> Although such dribble would
>shake some, it did not discourage me from pursuing this thread, but one
>could easily see how such ardent and unwarranted criticisim would
>discourage some from posting.

Well, by all means *don't* let anyone discourage you from posting.
Just don't perceive personal offense where none exists. I realize
that's difficult to achieve in the current climate of the newsgroup,
but let's make the attempt. One way or another, things will be
resolved soon, and isn't it better to part company on a somewhat
friendly tone, than to stalk out and slam the door shut behind us?

--Raksha

"I am the Plumed Serpent, I strike and I soar!"
All-time favorite Transformer: Soundwave ("The secrets
of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen.")
jk...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu | Dept. of Zoology