God Ginrai Reissue featured at Transforming Seminarian

G.B. Blackrock

Nov 14, 2008, 11:18:45 AM11/14/08
Because you (at least, those of you who responded to last week's poll)
asked for it, this week's feature is the 2002 God Ginrai (PM Optimus
Prime with Apex Armor) reissue.

http://transformingseminarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/counting-collection-god.html

Chad Rushing

Nov 14, 2008, 11:34:31 AM11/14/08
On Nov 14, 10:18 am, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Because you (at least, those of you who responded to last week's poll)
> asked for it, this week's feature is the 2002 God Ginrai (PM Optimus
> Prime with Apex Armor) reissue.
>
> http://transformingseminarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/counting-collectio...

Woo-hoo! That is the toy I voted for. I will have to remember to
check your review later today.

- Chad

Onslaught Six

Nov 14, 2008, 12:43:17 PM11/14/08
On Nov 14, 11:18 am, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> http://transformingseminarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/counting-collectio...

"I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some religious element to
these characters, but I didn't come up with the name."

There isn't. Japanese culture tends to associate the literal "God"
word with more Awesome Super Kickass Power associations. See: G Gundam
(which stands for God Gundam) and other similar stuff.

"This is why it's worth emphasizing that the original American toy
actually got the longer smokestacks in this instance!"

But Japan's smokestacks were chrome and had kickass hole details in
them. Ours were grey and generic.

Also, I think you're combining the two wrong. You're supposed to split
Super Ginrai's legs (even slightly) so that the big Godbomber boots
don't look stupidly connected. See here:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:GodGinrai_toy.jpg

G.B. Blackrock

Nov 14, 2008, 1:03:41 PM11/14/08
On Nov 14, 9:43 am, Onslaught Six <Onslaught...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 11:18 am, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >http://transformingseminarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/counting-collectio...
>
> "I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some religious element to
> these characters, but I didn't come up with the name."
>
> There isn't. Japanese culture tends to associate the literal "God"
> word with more Awesome Super Kickass Power associations. See: G Gundam
> (which stands for God Gundam) and other similar stuff.

Actually, I know this. It was my attempt at a snide remark for my non-
Transformers audience. Note the "Seminarian" part of my blog name.
My apologies if the attempt fell flat.

> "This is why it's worth emphasizing that the original American toy
> actually got the longer smokestacks in this instance!"
>
> But Japan's smokestacks were chrome and had kickass hole details in
> them. Ours were grey and generic.

Yeah, yeah. I think you make my point.

> Also, I think you're combining the two wrong. You're supposed to split
> Super Ginrai's legs (even slightly) so that the big Godbomber boots
> don't look stupidly connected. See here:http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:GodGinrai_toy.jpg

While I can agree with the interpretation, I don't think that
constitutes "you're doing it wrong," so much as "this is a way to
improve the look of a crappy design."...

Indeed, that's kind of petty.

Anyway, I'm glad that folks seem to be enjoying the entry.

Thunder Strikes Twice!

Nov 14, 2008, 2:33:34 PM11/14/08
Nice review (as always). :)

t.k.

Onslaught Six

Nov 14, 2008, 6:26:36 PM11/14/08
On Nov 14, 1:03 pm, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Actually, I know this.  It was my attempt at a snide remark for my non-
> Transformers audience.  Note the "Seminarian" part of my blog name.
> My apologies if the attempt fell flat.

Ehh. See, 'I' would have gone and explained that in the first place.
Information rules.

> While I can agree with the interpretation, I don't think that
> constitutes "you're doing it wrong," so much as "this is a way to
> improve the look of a crappy design."...
>
> Indeed, that's kind of petty.

Well, perhaps "You're doing it wrong," is somewhat strong language,
but...I dunno, that's just the way I go about my business. It's the
same way that, say, if one doesn't seperate G1 Jazz's legs, they're
doing it wrong. Or if one owns ClaSlaught and has not given him
G1slaught's rifle.

G.B. Blackrock

Nov 14, 2008, 6:48:13 PM11/14/08
On Nov 14, 3:26 pm, Onslaught Six <Onslaught...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 1:03 pm, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Actually, I know this. It was my attempt at a snide remark for my non-
> > Transformers audience. Note the "Seminarian" part of my blog name.
> > My apologies if the attempt fell flat.
>
> Ehh. See, 'I' would have gone and explained that in the first place.
> Information rules.

I considered it. I ultimately decided that it needed too complicated
an explanation for what was already a longer-than-normal entry.

Not to mention that a case could be made (I considered making it
myself, both in the post and in my first reply to you) that "Awesome
Super Kickass Power associations" ARE a quasi-religious element. That
could get complicated rather quickly. If I could that assume most of
my readers had an understanding of Japanese culture, it would be much
easier. As it is, I need to consider what elements to communicate,
and what elements must simply be glossed over for the sake of
expediency.

My two cents,
G.B. Blackrock

Onslaught Six

Nov 14, 2008, 9:21:16 PM11/14/08
On Nov 14, 6:48 pm, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I considered it.  I ultimately decided that it needed too complicated

> an explanation for what was already a longer-than-normal entry.
>
> Not to mention that a case could be made (I considered making it
> myself, both in the post and in my first reply to you) that "Awesome
> Super Kickass Power associations" ARE a quasi-religious element.  That
> could get complicated rather quickly.  If I could that assume most of
> my readers had an understanding of Japanese culture, it would be much
> easier.  As it is, I need to consider what elements to communicate,
> and what elements must simply be glossed over for the sake of
> expediency.

I leave nothing for expediency. Things are as long as they have to be
to get the point across.

Of course, that's my style of writing, and I'm the guy who wrote a
novel-length ClaFire review.

G.B. Blackrock

Nov 14, 2008, 10:02:11 PM11/14/08

I can respect that. For your own blog, feel free to make things as
long as you like. A lesson I actually don't think I've learned
*enough* in the 3+ years I've done mine is that more is not
necessarily better. I'm STILL learning how and when to edit my pieces
to say what I need to, and then stop. So I tend to err in favor of
cutting unnecessary bits out. But what's "unnecessary" obviously can
differ with the individual reader.

Incidentally, you (and this goes to everyone) are more than welcome to
make comments on the blog itself, especially if you think that bit
about how the Japanese use the word "god" is something you really do
think others would appreciate. I tend to be inclined to leave actual
entries alone once published, except to correct actual grammatical or
factual errors once discovered.

Kishin

Nov 15, 2008, 2:49:34 PM11/15/08
In article
<7fe09712-f61b-4898...@1g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
"G.B. Blackrock" <nicodem...@gmail.com> wrote:

Nice review. I was lucky enough to get the God Ginrei reissue on sale
for a buck and a song at HLJ several years back, and just love the toy.
Nice to see others like it too.

--

Kishin

G.B. Blackrock

Nov 17, 2008, 1:08:54 PM11/17/08
On Nov 15, 11:49 am, Kishin <spamspamspameggsands...@spam.com> wrote:
> In article
> <7fe09712-f61b-4898-88aa-0b48c59fe...@1g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

> "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Because you (at least, those of you who responded to last week's poll)
> > asked for it, this week's feature is the 2002 God Ginrai (PM Optimus
> > Prime with Apex Armor) reissue.
>
> >http://transformingseminarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/counting-collectio...

> Nice review. I was lucky enough to get the God Ginrei reissue on sale
> for a buck and a song at HLJ several years back, and just love the toy.
> Nice to see others like it too.
>
> --
>
> Kishin

Yeah, this is definitely one of those times when those with a bit of
patience could get a really good deal.

G.B. Blackrock