LARYBW/BEASTBOB.. Why...?

Waspinator

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

I posted this question a few months ago, but you were probably too busy
to respond. Either that, or you ignored me. I get that a lot in life.

Anyway...

My question is, why did you choose to fit Beast Wars into the established
TF universe, when, as you said quite some time ago, the target audience of
the show is so young that they probably have never heard of Autobots and
Decepticons?

I'm not complaining, no, absolutely not. I'm quite happy with the way the
show has turned out. Hasbro gave you crap, and you used it as fertilizer
to grow a beautiful tree. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to the new season, even though I'll have
to have tapes mailed to me because no station around here airs it
<grumble> :P

ADY, not to be confused with the phonetic Wazzzpin8or.

DiTillio

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

>I posted this question a few months ago, but you were probably too busy
>to respond. Either that, or you ignored me. I get that a lot in life.
>
>Anyway...
>
>My question is, why did you choose to fit Beast Wars into the established
>TF universe, when, as you said quite some time ago, the target audience of
>the show is so young that they probably have never heard of Autobots and
>Decepticons?
>
>I'm not complaining, no, absolutely not. I'm quite happy with the way the
>show has turned out. Hasbro gave you crap, and you used it as fertilizer
>to grow a beautiful tree. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

I was probably busy. I don't usually ignore a question... Anyway here's your
answer from my end. BeastBOb is lost in the Canadian wilderness but he always
has his trusty lap top around, so he may get to this too...

YOU Transfans are most responsible for us trying to insert Beast Wars into the
TF universe, rather than just keeping it a separate part of that universe.
The enthusiasm you showed for the old show and the comics and the various
branches of the TF world
was infectious. We saw a cosmic story and as writers it appealed to us. And we
have every intention of continuing to use the Tf universe as much as is
feasible. NO, this does not mean you'll see all your old G1 favorites popping
up on the screen, but you will hear references to stuff from that era.

As for the kids who may or may not know who AutoBots and Decepticons are, well
they can learn. Certainly the context will tell them something about G1, and
when we hit the final 3 shows of the season, there should be an even closer
tie-in. (Bob will write those episodes)...

So there, you haven't been ignored. I hope your self-esteem got a boost. :)

Larry DiTillio
Story Editor - Beast Wars

Joona I Palaste

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

DiTillio <diti...@aol.com> scribbled the following:
someone else wrote:
: >I posted this question a few months ago, but you were probably too busy

: >to respond. Either that, or you ignored me. I get that a lot in life.
: >
: >Anyway...
: >
: >My question is, why did you choose to fit Beast Wars into the established
: >TF universe, when, as you said quite some time ago, the target audience of
: >the show is so young that they probably have never heard of Autobots and
: >Decepticons?
: >
: >I'm not complaining, no, absolutely not. I'm quite happy with the way the
: >show has turned out. Hasbro gave you crap, and you used it as fertilizer
: >to grow a beautiful tree. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

: I was probably busy. I don't usually ignore a question... Anyway here's your
: answer from my end. BeastBOb is lost in the Canadian wilderness but he always
: has his trusty lap top around, so he may get to this too...

Hmm, perhaps I should get a portable Amiga... I have heard of one called
PAWS (Portable Amiga WorkStation) but I don't know if it'll work... =)

: YOU Transfans are most responsible for us trying to insert Beast Wars into the

: TF universe, rather than just keeping it a separate part of that universe.
: The enthusiasm you showed for the old show and the comics and the various
: branches of the TF world
: was infectious. We saw a cosmic story and as writers it appealed to us. And we
: have every intention of continuing to use the Tf universe as much as is
: feasible. NO, this does not mean you'll see all your old G1 favorites popping
: up on the screen, but you will hear references to stuff from that era.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, er, read. Absolutely fabulous.
It's good to see that we are accomplishing something by being so openly
fans of Transformers, not just sitting pretty mumbling "ohh, when I was
a lad/girl" whenever we see a 7-year-old walk by with a Street Shark
in his/her bag. I have personally not watched BW very much (in fact I
have only ever seen the two first episodes, thanks to Cecilia Matz), but
I understand the basic principles of the BW universe. Of course, actual
G1 characters (like Punch/Counterpunch, one of my favourites) would be
ideal, but I'll settle for references.

: As for the kids who may or may not know who AutoBots and Decepticons are, well

: they can learn. Certainly the context will tell them something about G1, and
: when we hit the final 3 shows of the season, there should be an even closer
: tie-in. (Bob will write those episodes)...

Ja, sure, you betcha, Larry. I have made a Transfan from my little
brother Aleksi Eerola (7). Without me, he wouldn't know Transformers
(original OR BW) existed. (Seeing as officially here in Finland, BW
does not exist. No toys, no show.) Aleksi has one Transformers toy
(Cyberjet Hooligan), he would have two if he hadn't broken his G2
Volt. He got pretty interested about G1 characters while watching the
video tapes I have, and now wants to buy a G1 Starscream. Now if we
only had a BW movie...

: So there, you haven't been ignored. I hope your self-esteem got a boost. :)

Yes, it did. Once again, thanks Larry.

--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Joona Palaste | | | |

Darzonique

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <19970930215...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
diti...@aol.com (DiTillio) writes:

>As for the kids who may or may not know who AutoBots and Decepticons are,
>well
> they can learn. Certainly the context will tell them something about G1, and
> when we hit the final 3 shows of the season, there should be an even closer
> tie-in. (Bob will write those episodes)

I smell "Mysterious Aliens that have been affected by something the TFs
did in the past." in the air. Either that or it's "oh-my-gosh-they've
found the Ark!". I really can't tell which.
-Darzoni the Blue
"Waspinator have headache in his wholle bodeee." -Waspinator, Possession
"When will you rage?"- W:TA

BC Thrasher Productions Inc.

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

I hope this isn't about the Ark! I don't believe their on Earth, so the
Ark would be a major blow to me!

".....close your eyes, and you'll find all you need in your mind!"-Dream
Theater "Take the Time"
".....close your mind and you'll find all you need with your eyes!"
Dream Theater "Just Let Me Breathe"