Could someone tell me what magazine this 1985 art is from?

Evil King Macrocranios

Apr 12, 2009, 2:34:36 AM4/12/09
Right now on ebay there's some original Transformers art by Fred
Carillo, the late Transformers model and background designer who
worked at Marvel Productions from 1985 to 1987:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330321603146

Fred never got as much recognition as Floro Dery although they both
were TF model artists during the same era. As you can see from the
auction, his Transformer work had that classic TF animation house
style. If Mr. Dery were a little more fan friendly we would probably
be able to find out just how much model and background design work was
directly attributable to Fred.

My question is, can anyone tell me which issue of Variety magazine
this is from? I'd like to track it down but I think the auction
description has it wrong. They say this art was used in trade
publications such as Variety in 1984, but judging from the characters
depicted and Fred's own resume it has to be no earlier than 1985. If
anyone could tell me what magazine or magazines this art was published
in I'd appreciate it. Owning the original art will no doubt be way out
of my price range, but finding a copy of a 25 year old magazine may be
more doable. Plus I'd like to see the work in context.

Kurt Cocaine

Apr 12, 2009, 3:15:24 AM4/12/09
I didn't know Fred had died. :(
But no, I've never seen the artwork before.

Onslaught Six

Apr 12, 2009, 4:16:21 AM4/12/09
On Apr 12, 2:34 am, Evil King Macrocranios
<Evil.King.Macrocran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is, can anyone tell me which issue of Variety magazine
> this is from? I'd like to track it down but I think the auction
> description has it wrong. They say this art was used in trade
> publications such as Variety in 1984, but judging from the characters
> depicted and Fred's own resume it has to be no earlier than 1985. If
> anyone could tell me what magazine or magazines this art was published
> in I'd appreciate it. Owning the original art will no doubt be way out
> of my price range, but finding a copy of a 25 year old magazine may be
> more doable. Plus I'd like to see the work in context.

I started looking through the archives on their site, and came across
this gem:
http://www.variety.com/profiles/TVSeries/Synopsis/160751/The+Transformers.html?dataSet=1

Synopsis
The story, set in the future, relates a battle for good over evil as
seen through the exploits of the Autobots, residents of the planet
Zobitron, as they attempt to stop the Deceptitrons, a race of deadly
robots who seek to control the universe.

Yeah.

Unfortunately I couldn't dig up anything else on their site. A pity.

Evil King Macrocranios

Apr 14, 2009, 2:22:41 AM4/14/09
> The story, set in the future, relates a battle for good over evil as
> seen through the exploits of the Autobots, residents of the planet
> Zobitron, as they attempt to stop the Deceptitrons, a race of deadly
> robots who seek to control the universe.

Zobitron? Deceptitrons? I wonder where they got these names! I'm
guessing whoever wrote the description was scribbling down notes as
the info was being relayed over the phone or taking dictation off a
cassette tape. After reading this I kept saying "Cybertron" and
"Decepticons" over and over in my head and I could see how they do
sort of sound like Zobitron and Deceptitrons if you've never heard the
terms before. Either that or the writer of the synopsis had access to
very early working titles and Zobitron really was Cybertron at one
point, but I really really doubt that. I googled the terms and it
seems only a very small handful of sources tell the story of Zobitron
and the Deceptitrons so it looks like a misinterpretation of very
limited circulation.

> Unfortunately I couldn't dig up anything else on their site. A pity.

I thought the list of directors on the page you linked to was
interesting. I'm not the kind of guy who goes through IMDB to find out
who every director of every G1 episode was so I'd never heard those
names before. And when I did run every name from that list through
IMDB I made my own list of producers, directors and sequence directors
of every G1 episode. I have no idea what any of this information
actually means but it was fun compiling.

John Gibbs
Supervising director on MTMTE eps 1-3 / sequence director eps 4-16
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0316685/filmoseries#tt0086817

Dave Brain MTMTE 1-3
Sequence director on MTMTE eps 1-3
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0104025/filmoseries#tt0086817

Gerry Chiniquy
Sequence director on MTMTE eps 1-3 and 30 eps s3
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0157908/filmoseries#tt0086817

Jeff Hale
Sequence director on eps 1-16
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0354934/filmoseries#tt0086817

Norm McCabe
Director or sequence director of 88 episodes
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0564495/filmoseries#tt0086817
plus animation director of the movie

Tom Ray
Director or sequence director of 44 episodes
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0443196/filmoseries#tt0086817

Dan Thompson
Sequence director on MTMTE eps 1-3
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0860014/filmoseries#tt0086817

James T. Walker
Sequence director on MTMTE eps 1-3
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0907822/filmoseries#tt0086817

John Walker
Director, producer or sequence director for 65 episodes from s1 and 2
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0907484/filmoseries#tt0086817
plus director of The Return of Optimus Prime

Warren Batchelder
Sequence director on MTMTE eps 1-3 and all of s3
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0060722/filmoseries#tt0086817