CatSCAN's name

TheGrape

Jul 30, 2002, 1:16:31 AM7/30/02
So, I hear CatSCAN was originally an acryonym for somthing. Anyone
wanna tell me what it was? Thanks and whatever.
CatSCAN's a great name anyway.
TheGrape

Ramen Junkie

Jul 30, 2002, 1:25:55 AM7/30/02
"TheGrape" <thegr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> So, I hear CatSCAN was originally an acryonym for somthing. Anyone
> wanna tell me what it was? Thanks and whatever.
> CatSCAN's a great name anyway.

Probably the same thing as the medical procedure.

Paul Segal

Jul 30, 2002, 1:38:47 AM7/30/02

I seriously doubt that the BotCon toy's name stood for "Computerized Axial
Tomography"

-Paul Segal
Email: aster...@yahoo.com ICQ: 24024819 AIM: asterphage
Things that rule:
Cibo Matto, Bounty Killer, Wilco, Soul Coughing, Sea Ray, the New Radicals;
Micromaster Fixit's Gerwalk mode, and Micromasters in general;
Jumbo Machinders.

Somebody Famous

Jul 30, 2002, 2:57:33 AM7/30/02
Wow. I am totally impressed by your knowledge of what cat stood for. All
praise you.

"Paul Segal" <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message

Sky Shadow

Jul 30, 2002, 7:45:39 AM7/30/02
"Ramen Junkie" wrote:

> > So, I hear CatSCAN was originally an acryonym for somthing. Anyone
> > wanna tell me what it was? Thanks and whatever.
> > CatSCAN's a great name anyway.
>
> Probably the same thing as the medical procedure.

It's spectacularly unlikely that CatSCAN should stand for CATscan.

Unless the Hartmans didn't realise they'd left caps lock on.

Sky Shadow...

Ramen Junkie

Jul 30, 2002, 10:40:14 AM7/30/02
"Sky Shadow" <skye_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I haven't read his tech spec but his colors and this whole "data pad thing"
scream out "I'm a doctor".

Steve-o Stonebraker

Jul 30, 2002, 12:24:34 PM7/30/02
On 29 Jul 2002 22:16:31 -0700, TheGrape wrote:
> So, I hear CatSCAN was originally an acryonym for somthing. Anyone
> wanna tell me what it was? Thanks and whatever.

Glen addressed that during the 3H panel, but couldn't quite remember how
it went. What he said was "computer simulated corporeal autonomous
neomaximal". That, of course, makes CSCAN, but like I said, he was
visibly making an effort to remember it. He made a comment about dropping
the acronym idea because the name looked silly with so many periods in it,
so maybe the whole name was originally an acronym, which would mean he
skipped the AT at the panel.
--Steve-o
Steve Stonebraker | Transformers FAQ Keeper | Astrophysicist
sst...@yahoo.com | www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~sstoneb | AOL IM: srstoneb

Paul Segal

Jul 30, 2002, 1:11:05 PM7/30/02
Somebody Famous wrote:

>"Paul Segal" <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Ramen Junkie wrote:
>> >
>> >"TheGrape" <thegr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> >Probably the same thing as the medical procedure.
>>
>> I seriously doubt that the BotCon toy's name stood for "Computerized Axial
>> Tomography"
>
>Wow. I am totally impressed by your knowledge of what cat stood for. All
>praise you.

Someone suggested that the BotCon toy's name stood for the same phrase as the
medical procedure. So I looked up what the medical term stands for and pointed
out that it's not a very likely meaning for a Transformer name.

Do you have a problem with that, or do you just enjoy sarcastically insulting
people for no reason?

Synch

Jul 30, 2002, 1:37:40 PM7/30/02

bw version of ratchet lol :D

cmq

Jul 30, 2002, 5:52:31 PM7/30/02

TheGrape wrote:

> So, I hear CatSCAN was originally an acryonym for somthing. Anyone
> wanna tell me what it was? Thanks and whatever.

not even Glen Hallit could remember exactly what it was going to stand
for at the sunday panel...it was pretty long and complicated sounding,
which probably contributed to it not being an acronym...

Mark Brown

Jul 30, 2002, 6:41:32 PM7/30/02
"Ramen Junkie" <lame...@gamebox.net> wrote in message
*SNIP*

> I haven't read his tech spec but his colors and this whole "data pad
thing"
> scream out "I'm a doctor".

"See this? 'MD.' 'Me Doctor.'" --Robin Williams

Mark
"We need a 'Hello Nurse.'"

Mark Brown

Jul 30, 2002, 6:43:41 PM7/30/02
"Steve-o Stonebraker" <sst...@campbell.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message

> Glen addressed that during the 3H panel, but couldn't quite remember how
> it went. What he said was "computer simulated corporeal autonomous
> neomaximal".
*SNIP*

"Simulated Corporeal?"

He's an EMH!!!

Mark
"Please state the nature of the medical emergency." --Doc Hologram (or
CatSCAN's techspec quote)

ZacWilliam05

Jul 30, 2002, 7:39:39 PM7/30/02

>He's an EMH!!!

Botcon Comic/Catscan spec

Sort of, yeah. Aplinq uses his power to physically create forms for digital
programs/objects (which was mentioned in his original tech-spec) to give the
Wrecker's ship's medical program a TF body, so it can try and save Fractal.
Thus, Catscan is born.

-ZacWilliam, who culled this from Cat's tech-spec and the one Comic summary
he's seen so far, But would really love a more detailed comic summary.

Come one! Come All! To the Grand Opening of
***SIX LASERS OVER CYBERTRON!***

Visit 6LOC yourself, now online @:
http://members.aol.com/zacwilliam05/6Lasers.html

Steve-o Stonebraker

Jul 30, 2002, 7:42:44 PM7/30/02
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:43:41 -0400, Mark Brown wrote:
> "Steve-o Stonebraker" <sst...@campbell.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> > Glen addressed that during the 3H panel, but couldn't quite remember how
> > it went. What he said was "computer simulated corporeal autonomous
> > neomaximal".
>
> "Simulated Corporeal?" He's an EMH!!!
>
> Mark
> "Please state the nature of the medical emergency." --Doc Hologram (or
> CatSCAN's techspec quote)

CatSCAN is fully solid -- that is, he doesn't need to be maintained by
Apelinq's interlink, nor is he holographic. But yes, he seems inspired in
some ways by Star Trek's medical holograms.

Senex Prime [Cameron Booth]

Jul 31, 2002, 2:03:42 AM7/31/02

> CatSCAN is fully solid -- that is, he doesn't need to be maintained by
> Apelinq's interlink, nor is he holographic. But yes, he seems inspired in
> some ways by Star Trek's medical holograms.

Either that, or Red Dwarf's solid-light holograms... Catscan is the Transformer
equivalent of Arnold J. Rimmer :-)

--
Senex Prime "Not THE Prime, just A Prime!"
------

Mark Brown

Jul 31, 2002, 10:37:20 AM7/31/02
"Steve-o Stonebraker" <sst...@campbell.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
*SNIP*

> CatSCAN is fully solid -- that is, he doesn't need to be maintained by
> Apelinq's interlink, nor is he holographic. But yes, he seems inspired in
> some ways by Star Trek's medical holograms.

So basically, he has a built-in mobile emitter.

Mark
"You're a hologram! Holograms can't touch solid objects--"
*SLAP* --Tom Paris & EMH 1

Steve-o Stonebraker

Jul 31, 2002, 12:16:22 PM7/31/02
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:37:20 -0400, Mark Brown wrote:
> > CatSCAN is fully solid -- that is, he doesn't need to be maintained by
> > Apelinq's interlink, nor is he holographic. But yes, he seems inspired in
> > some ways by Star Trek's medical holograms.
>
> So basically, he has a built-in mobile emitter.

No, he's a physical object, not a projection. Apelinq's transfer
interlink has the power to create physical objects out of patterns in his
computer memory. You can think of it as a Star Trek replicator if you
want to. CatSCAN does not need to be maintainted like a hologram.

Mark Brown

Jul 31, 2002, 1:35:38 PM7/31/02
*SNIP*

> > So basically, he has a built-in mobile emitter.
> No, he's a physical object, not a projection. Apelinq's transfer
> interlink has the power to create physical objects out of patterns in his
> computer memory. You can think of it as a Star Trek replicator if you
> want to. CatSCAN does not need to be maintainted like a hologram.

Ah, cool.

Of course, that raises the metaphysical debate; does he have a spark, or is
he just a drone that Apelinq made?

Mark
"Gotta find a Wreckers synopsis page."

Steve-o Stonebraker

Jul 31, 2002, 5:29:23 PM7/31/02
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:35:38 -0400, Mark Brown wrote:
> Of course, that raises the metaphysical debate; does he have a spark, or is
> he just a drone that Apelinq made?

I could have sworn I already answered that, but I can't find it... CatSCAN
does not have a spark. This is explicitly stated in his tech spec.

Desperado00

Jul 31, 2002, 5:32:12 PM7/31/02
>> Of course, that raises the metaphysical debate; does he have a spark, or
>is
>> he just a drone that Apelinq made?

>I could have sworn I already answered that, but I can't find it... CatSCAN
>does not have a spark. This is explicitly stated in his tech spec.

Oh, so, he's like the medic hologram from Star Trek: First Contact?
-----

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

An egotist is a self-made man who worships his creator.

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

No horse is too dead to beat.

Mouse_Pad

Jul 31, 2002, 5:47:50 PM7/31/02

"Desperado00" <despe...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Oh, so, he's like the medic hologram from Star Trek: First Contact?

*smack*

He's not a hologram. He's an AI with a physical body. Like a humanoid
Diagnostic Drone. Or RiD Cerebros.

ADY
--
adyoung (at) cox (dash) internet (dot) com

Desperado00

Jul 31, 2002, 6:46:19 PM7/31/02
>> Oh, so, he's like the medic hologram from Star Trek: First Contact?
>
>*smack*
>
>He's not a hologram. He's an AI with a physical body. Like a humanoid
>Diagnostic Drone. Or RiD Cerebros.

I didn't say he was a hologram, I was just making a comparison between him and
the hologram medic on ST:FC.

Mark Brown

Aug 1, 2002, 11:10:06 AM8/1/02

> >> Oh, so, he's like the medic hologram from Star Trek: First Contact?
> >*smack*
> >He's not a hologram. He's an AI with a physical body. Like a humanoid
> >Diagnostic Drone. Or RiD Cerebros.
> I didn't say he was a hologram, I was just making a comparison between him
and
> the hologram medic on ST:FC.

Presumably as opposed to the holodoc on Voyager, who was a fully realized
person. The EMH in Crusher's sickbay was only a standard EMH, with none of
the on-the-fly upgrades and mods that Doc had.

I guess what he means is, just how much of a personality does CatSCAN have?

Mark
"You're breathing down my neck."
"My breathing is only a simulation."
"So's my neck; stop it anyway!" --EMH I & II ("Message in a Bottle")