New (Maybe?) Movie Deluxe Toys

Zobovor

Sep 5, 2010, 7:30:43 PM9/5/10
I noticed some listings in the Walmart computer today that I'd never
seen before. Apologies if this is old news, but I don't keep up on
all the message boards so I'm probably not as well-informed as most
fans.

Anyway, these were all in the system in the same assortment as the TRA
MV2 DLX ASST, which currently encompasses the non-Revenge of the
Fallen "Hunt for the Decepticons" toys. They are:

TRA DLX PERCEPTOR UPC 6-53569-56571
TRA DLX OPTIMUS PRM UPC 6-53569-56572
TRA DLX BUMBLEBEE UPC 6-53569-57672
TRA DLX FALLBACK UPC 6-53569-55797
TRA DLX MINDSET UPC 6-53569-55799
TRA DLX SPL OPS JAZ UPC 6-53569-5580
TRA DLX TURBO TRACK UPC 6-53569-55801
TRA DLX WRECKGAR UPC 6-53569-56573

The only one that may not be new is Bumblebee, but all of these toys
were listed together at the very bottom of the list, suggesting they
were the most recent additions and that somebody added them all at the
same time.

I think Perceptor already made his debut at Toy Fair—I have a vague
memory of some kind of vehicle with a large cannon that turns into a
vaguely Perceptory-looking robot.

I love that they named a toy Mindset, previous used as one of the
generic second-generation Decepticons, a distant cousin to Onslaught,
from the TRANSFORMERS: GENERATION 2 comic book. It would be awesome
if it actually *was* a toy of Mindset but I know this probably isn't
the case.

I'm assuming Special Operations Jazz (besides being another way of
dancing around trademark issues without calling him Autobot Jazz or
Agent Meister) is yet another 2007 movie Jazz redeco.

I'm so excited about the new Wreck-Gar toy, particularly if it's
actually a motorcycle!

Holy crap, I'm so ignorant. I'm sure everybody else here already
knows what all these toys are going to be.

Zob

...Also Known As Thunder

Sep 5, 2010, 10:39:13 PM9/5/10
Zobovor wrote:
> I think Perceptor already made his debut at Toy Fair—I have a vague
> memory of some kind of vehicle with a large cannon that turns into a
> vaguely Perceptory-looking robot.

The Generations Perceptor looks exactly like Perceptor in robot mode.
His vehicle mode, though, is a car or something that is totally wrong, imo.

> I'm assuming Special Operations Jazz (besides being another way of
> dancing around trademark issues without calling him Autobot Jazz or
> Agent Meister) is yet another 2007 movie Jazz redeco.

There's a Generations Jazz coming next year (I think). It could be him
(or not. I dunno).

t.k.

Alden Bates

Sep 5, 2010, 10:46:18 PM9/5/10
On Sep 6, 11:30 am, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> I love that they named a toy Mindset, previous used as one of the
> generic second-generation Decepticons, a distant cousin to Onslaught,
> from the TRANSFORMERS: GENERATION 2 comic book.  It would be awesome
> if it actually *was* a toy of Mindset but I know this probably isn't
> the case.

It's a redeco of Hailstorm, according to Hailstorm's TFWiki page:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hailstorm_%28TF_2010%29

SteveD

Sep 6, 2010, 12:42:08 AM9/6/10
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 20:39:13 -0600, "...Also Known As Thunder"
<dece...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>The Generations Perceptor looks exactly like Perceptor in robot mode.
>His vehicle mode, though, is a car or something that is totally wrong, imo.

Looks like a halftrack of some sort.

-SteveD

I. R. Caughn

Sep 6, 2010, 5:08:20 PM9/6/10
On Sep 5, 7:30 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Anyway, these were all in the system in the same assortment as the TRA
> MV2 DLX ASST, which currently encompasses the non-Revenge of the
> Fallen "Hunt for the Decepticons" toys.  They are:

This sentence confuses me-- does the code mean that they are "Hunt for
the Decepticons" toys (which are all in the RoTF line, no? Or general
Bayverse line, at least...) or that they're "Generations" toys?

We know that Tracks, Jazz and Perceptor are Generations, but if
Mindset is a redeco or Hailstorm, that would seem to suggest that this
is RoTF/HFtD/Bayverse (unless he's a deliberate G2 Mindset homage and
that upgrades him to "Generations" status... looking at the Hailstorm
mold, I'd say he'd be surprisingly faithful, actually). Or do
"Generations" and HFtD toys get the same code prefix?

The reason I ask is that Generations Wreck-Gar would be huge news
causing me to become instantly ecstatic and possibly perform some
manner of jig. HFtD Wreck-Gar would be a crime against the universe.

J (yeah, I know, Seaspray was awesome, so I really shouldn't be
worried either way, but Wreck-Gar is sacrosanct. In any case, I'm
kinda surprised they would do him in Classics/Universe/Generations
form so soon after TFA WG [which was already pretty dang spiffy], but
I surely ain't complaining)

Zobovor

Sep 7, 2010, 2:28:53 PM9/7/10
On Sep 6, 3:08 pm, "I. R. Caughn" <ia...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > Anyway, these were all in the system in the same assortment as the TRA
> > MV2 DLX ASST, which currently encompasses the non-Revenge of the
> > Fallen "Hunt for the Decepticons" toys.
>

> This sentence confuses me-- does the code mean that they are "Hunt for
> the Decepticons" toys (which are all in the RoTF line, no? Or general
> Bayverse line, at least...) or that they're "Generations" toys?

Hasbro came up with the "Hunt for the Decepticons" trade dress to
distinguish the newer toys from the ones from Revenge of the Fallen (a
movie that isn't showing in theaters, so it doesn't make sense to
continue producing merchandise for a film no longer playing). Hunt
for the Decepticons and Revenge of the Fallen are really the same
thing, for Hasbro's purposes, since they're all part of the same toy
assortment.

Generations is a totally separate toy line, though, and ships
separately, so unless somebody made a mistake when they added it into
the computer, all the toys I listed in this thread will be Hunt for
the Decepticons toys.

> We know that Tracks, Jazz and Perceptor are Generations

So is "Turbo Tracks" really just plain ol' Tracks? If that's the
case, then it does seem strange that they'd produce three characters
with these names in both the Hunt for the Decepticons and Generations
assortment. Hmm. Clearly, further research is indicated.

And you're right, a true and faithful tribute to the original Wreck-
Gar would be all sorts of awesome. I would buy two of them on the
spot so he can ride himself.

Zob

I. R. Caughn

Sep 7, 2010, 3:42:34 PM9/7/10
On Sep 7, 2:28 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> > We know that Tracks, Jazz and Perceptor are Generations
>
> So is "Turbo Tracks" really just plain ol' Tracks?  If that's the
> case, then it does seem strange that they'd produce three characters
> with these names in both the Hunt for the Decepticons and Generations
> assortment.  Hmm.  Clearly, further research is indicated.

That's just my guess-- like Jazz, they've had to use "Autobot Tracks"
in the past, so I figured if Generations Jazz is named "Special Agent
Jazz" then perhaps Tracks got a similar character-specific trademark
modifier. That only makes sense if these are Generations toys,
though... unless Special Agent Jazz and Turbo Tracks are actually
separate HftD Bayverse toys. That would very much surprise me, since
Perceptor is in that assortment too (another Generations guy) and
Hasbro has that policy of not releasing two toys of the same character
at the same time (i.e. their reason for making Universe Octane instead
of Universe Blitzwing... although that didn't stop Universe Prowl...
or the fifty million Bayverse Bumblebees, for that matter).

Onslaught Six

Sep 8, 2010, 8:01:26 AM9/8/10
On Sep 7, 2:28 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Generations is a totally separate toy line, though, and ships
> separately, so unless somebody made a mistake when they added it into
> the computer, all the toys I listed in this thread will be Hunt for
> the Decepticons toys.

I think that's what we're looking at; someone either made a mistake in
the computer or Hasbro figured there was no point distinguishing the
assortments to retailers anymore.

> > We know that Tracks, Jazz and Perceptor are Generations
>
> So is "Turbo Tracks" really just plain ol' Tracks?  If that's the
> case, then it does seem strange that they'd produce three characters
> with these names in both the Hunt for the Decepticons and Generations
> assortment.  Hmm.  Clearly, further research is indicated.

Maybe? Honestly, the only thing we've seen that these figures exist
was that CybertronCon slideshow from China. Dig it:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-generations-classics-30-35/images-from-cybertron-con-new-transformers-products-panel---scourge-thunderwing-goldbug-jazz-170308/

Wow, thanks for reminding me of this so that I can get excited again.
Thunderwing! Scourge! Jesus.