list of brick codes (NOT set numbers)

Peter Miller

Nov 10, 1993, 11:54:08 PM11/10/93
Archive-Name: sets/brick-codes
Submitted-By: Peter Miller <pmi...@bmr.gov.au>

A while ago I posted a question to ask if folks had a list of brick
codes. I do *not* mean set numbers, the number on the outside of the
cardboard box, when you buy a LEGO set in a store. I mean the 4-digit
brick code seen on many bricks, and seen on almost all bricks from
modern moulds.

The brick code is usually found on the under side of the brick. You
may have to tilt the brick back an forth in a bright light to catch
sight of it. For example: under a humble 2x2 brick, picked up at
random, I find the numbers
114
3003
7
When I pick up more 2x2 bricks, the "114" numbers change greatly, and
the "7" numbers also, but the 3003 is there on every 2x2 on the table.
I assume the "114" and "7" are batch numbers (probably of the mould,
not the brick). Other bricks usually sport the batch numbers, too;
often in the form 7-114, sometimes using a structural element, rather
than the hyphen. It is interesting to note that where there is room
for only one set of numbers, the batch number is given, rather than the
brick code; indicating quite a dedication to quality control (to me,
anyway).

When hunting for a brick code, I often find it is necessary to go
through single every one of my bricks of a given shape to find the cod;
it seems that the newer the brick, the more likely the presence of a
brick code.

The reson I want to find brick codes is to facilitate description.
Using a code which may be found on the bricks themselves seems a very
suitable way of describing them. It also opens the possibility of
getting an "official" list from LEGO.

Note that there is zero correlation between the set numbers and the
brick codes. For example, the "spare parts" set
821 brick separator
contains one item, which sports a brick code of 6007. There are many
set numbers which are the same as brick codes, and the two have nothing
in common.

Here is a list of brick codes compiled from a few hours of turning
bricks over and squinting carefully. I would be greatly interested in
any additions or corrections. There are some notable absences.

Note on notation:
MxN full height brick, M studs long, N studs wide
MzN 1/3 height brick, M studs long, N studs wide
MtN 1/3 height brick, M studs long, N studs wide, flat top
MfN 1/6 height plate, M studs long, N studs wide, no under side

Code Description
---- -------------

2336 6x2x2 approx, space chassis
2340 aeroplane tail fin, approx 5x1x3, base 4z1, top 2t1, offset 1 from base
2342 2z1 approx, ice planet control stick, wierd shape
2352 4x2x3 approx, window, sloped, 4x1 at top
2397 8x2 approx, auto acessory "side rails" (also used in space kits)
2415 2z2 approx, aeroplane wheel, single
2418 6x6x2 approx, space window, with 45 deg 2x2 trimming
2419 6z3 approx, with diagonal corners
2420 2z2 approx, L shaped
2431 4f1
2432 2z1 approx, auto acessory "roll bar"
2434 space block, 4x4x2, studs on long sides
2436 bracket, top 4t4, side 2z1
2437 4x3 approx, window, blue tint
2441 8x4 approx, auto chassis
2445 12z2
2452 2z1 approx, hinge piece, 3 prongs from long side
2456 6x2
2460 2z2 axel, points upwards, for heilcopters
2479 helicopter rotor, connects to 2460
2483 window (helicopter), approx 5x4x4.3
2484 2z2 axel block, with springs, big wheels (from "dune buggy")
2513 front wheel arch, like 4x3 tile
2540 auto acessory, bullbar, approx 2z1
2555 1z1 "grip"
2625 7z6 approx, fit atop 2626
2626 6x6 approx, boat bow
2873 hinge piece, approx 4t2, sideways attachment
3001 4x2
3002 3x2
3003 3x1
3006 10x2
3020 4z2
3021 3z2
3022 2z2
3030 10z4
3034 8z2
3035 6z4
3070 1t1
3137 2x2 approx, axel
3185 4x1x2 fence
3462 3z2 approx, helicopter rotor and axel
3471 6x6x7 approx, tree, base 2x2 circular
3475 2z2 approx, aeroplane jet engine, side mounting
3633 4x1x1 fence, offset to one side
3700 2x1 technics beam, 1 transverse hole
3710 4z1
3730 2z2 approx, ball coupler female
3747 3x2 inverted tile
3795 6z2
3823 4x2x2 approx, window, blue tint
3832 10z2
3933L approx 8z4, "wing" with 3z7 diag bite top left
3933R approx 8z4, "wing" with 3z7 diag bite top right
3935L approx 4z4, "wing" with 3x3 diag bite top left
3935R approx 4z4, "wing" with 3x3 diag bite top right
3938 hinge, top of 2x1
3940 2x2x2 approx, space, 2z2 base, 2t2 top, circular, stepped column joining
3956 bracket, 2z2, 2z2
3958 6z6
4032 2z2 circular, with "+" hole
4079 2z2 approx, auto accessory, seat
4132 4x2x3 window
4180 4x2 approx, axel, permanent wheels
4202 12x4
4212 10x4x1 approx
4213 4x4 approx, hinge, sideways attachment
4275 2z1 approx, hinge, 3 prongs from short side
4276 2z1 approx, hinge, 2 prongs from short side
4288 tyre
4345 2x2x2 approx, "cupboard" with door
4477 10z1
4588 1x1 approx, circular, with fins (rockets, etc)
4591 2x2x2 approx, circular, with fins (rockets, etc)
4596 4z2 approx, space, attachment is 2z1 to point with 1z1 female
4598 bracket, base 3z2 approx, side 2z2 approx
4600 2z2 approx, axel
4617 propeller
4623 2z1 approx, auto acessory, spike from side turns upwards
4625 4z1 approx, hinge, upwards attachment
4715 auto trailer wheels, connects to 2 of 4276
4727 1x1 approx, flower leaves, circluar
4728 1x1 approx, flower petals, circular
4730 2x2 technics (?), with axel (male) for propellers etc
4732 8x1.3 approx, auto chassis
4744 4x2x2 approx, rounded ends, only 2x2 attachment at top
4857 4x4x1 approx, "roof", joins hinge 4625
4859 4z3 approx, but with only 2z2 attachable
4864 2x1x2 only 1 wall down long side
4865 2x1 approx, auto acessory, only 1 wall down long side, no top studs (used in sets a fake door)
6007 brick separator
6014 wheel
6015 tyre for 6014
6069 4x4x1 approx, boat cowling
6075 10z2 approx, surf board (from "dune buggy")
--
Peter Miller UUCP uunet!munnari!bmr.gov.au!pmiller
/\/\* Internet pmi...@bmr.gov.au

Peter Murray

Nov 11, 1993, 9:19:34 AM11/11/93
Oh no! Now there's something else I'm going to want to go through!

Interesting - I've saved the list and will (eventually) see if I
can add anything to it.
--
..Peter Murray (opinions[my]!=opinions[organisation])
Wobbler thought that California was where good people went when they died.

dev...@axp1.acf.nyu.edu

Nov 11, 1993, 12:05:04 PM11/11/93
In article <2bthlm$c...@gorgon.gatwick.sgp.slb.com>, mur...@gatwick.sgp.slb.com (Peter Murray) writes:
>Oh no! Now there's something else I'm going to want to go through!
>
>Interesting - I've saved the list and will (eventually) see if I
>can add anything to it.
>--

I assume you're talking about a list of set numbers and NOT a
list of brick codes. The subject line says vice-versa. I'm
freaking out over the prospect of seeing the list of bricks
someone mentioned in a previous post. Did someone actually
post it and it never reached my site? Ay caramba!

dev...@axp1.acf.nyu.edu

Nov 11, 1993, 2:43:09 PM11/11/93
In article <2bsghg...@gneiss.bmr.gov.au>, pmi...@bmr.gov.au (Peter Miller) writes:

>A while ago I posted a question to ask if folks had a list of brick
>codes. I do *not* mean set numbers, the number on the outside of the
>cardboard box, when you buy a LEGO set in a store. I mean the 4-digit
>brick code seen on many bricks, and seen on almost all bricks from
>modern moulds.

Thanks for filling me in. I don't know how I missed the
original post. After work I'll see what I can add to the list.

Stefan Gustavson

Nov 15, 1993, 9:02:36 AM11/15/93
Is your example with the code 3003 for 2x2 bricks authentic?
In your list, you list 3003 as the code of a _3x1_ brick.
I can't recall ever having seen such a brick. A typing error,
perhaps?

(Not that I really care. I just can't avoid commenting upon things
like this. It's probably a brain-damage coming from too much
proof-reading. Sorry.)

Stefan

SillyWiz

Nov 16, 1993, 8:33:46 AM11/16/93

3x1 bricks come in white, black, grey, blue and red at least. Also they come
in flats in a range of colours.

-- the SillyWiz --
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
The University of Warwick cares little | "Don't worry, there's absolutely no
for my opinions the rest of the time so| way they can hit us from all they
it can't have these if it wants them. | way over th.."
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Keith Lucas ---- sill...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk , cs...@csv.warwick.ac.uk

Teemu Hakala

Nov 17, 1993, 1:32:16 PM11/17/93
>Is your example with the code 3003 for 2x2 bricks authentic?
>In your list, you list 3003 as the code of a _3x1_ brick.
>I can't recall ever having seen such a brick. A typing error,
>perhaps?

Argh, this site has done it again. What? You don't know what happens
every now and then? Well, let me tell you, this pig of a system goes
and expires all the articles without me having read them all.
You obviously have never seen The Yellow Castle (it is so great I
just have to spell it big). It has lots of them, as do the old style
space sets.

>(Not that I really care. I just can't avoid commenting upon things
> like this. It's probably a brain-damage coming from too much
> proof-reading. Sorry.)

You'll enjoy the net proof-reading, so many people and so few
actually reading what they write themselves.

--

dontrun

Colin 't Hart

Nov 20, 1993, 3:30:23 AM11/20/93
ste...@isy.liu.se (Stefan Gustavson) writes:

>Is your example with the code 3003 for 2x2 bricks authentic?
>In your list, you list 3003 as the code of a _3x1_ brick.
>I can't recall ever having seen such a brick. A typing error,
>perhaps?

Uh-Uh. I have several of these - only about 2 actaully - both black and
were from the original Technic Go-Kart.

| ha...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (preferred) |
| ha...@lethe.uwa.edu.au (alternative) |
| har...@cs.uwa.edu.au (cs related mail) |