G.I.Joe....by Sideshow??

MERK

Feb 3, 2008, 9:02:35 PM2/3/08

Leonard Armstrong

Feb 3, 2008, 9:14:00 PM2/3/08
Holy &%*#*$%!!! This blows me away. I mean this *really* blows me
away. I guess there is some precendent with the 12" Star Wars line but
I never thought you'd see G.I. Joe made by anyone but Hasbro. I hope
they are talking 12" figures. With Sideshow's detail this could open
up a whole new world for Joe.

-- Leonard

In article
<61d51117-9f0b-40a5...@f10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>MERK

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Scott Norris

Feb 3, 2008, 9:55:37 PM2/3/08
Just freakin' great.

Not since I saw the Kenner label on Joe have I been this po'd at Hasbro.

Scarlet will look great with a giant melon headsculpt.

"MERK" <mer...@rogers.com> wrote in message
> http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=4277

DeltaForceChung

Feb 3, 2008, 10:50:32 PM2/3/08
Yes.

Oversized melons.

Wait a minute.

Are we talking "melons" (i.e. boobage) or "melon" (i.e. head).

If "melons", then hey . . . I would not mind seeing a 1:6 Cover Girl, Lady
Jaye, and Scarlett with big "melons".

OK

OK

I know.

I'll be going to HELL for what I just wrote (among many other things) or if
I meet any of you guys @ JOELANTA 2008, then I'm sure one of you is bound to
beat the crap out of me.

BigdaddyK

Feb 4, 2008, 12:06:34 AM2/4/08
On Feb 3, 9:50 pm, "DeltaForceChung" <inva...@noknownemail.com> wrote:

> I'll be going to HELL for what I just wrote (among many other things) or if
> I meet any of you guys @ JOELANTA 2008, then I'm sure one of you is bound to
> beat the crap out of me.

Tsk, tsk now Chung.

Who in their right mind would wanna do THAT?

BDK

Rudy Panucci

Feb 4, 2008, 2:04:23 AM2/4/08
It's not a shock. Hasbro has ceded some control of the toy line over to
Paramount for the movie. I would guess that this is part of that deal.
Paramount is happy with the way Sideshow is handling the collectible
market. That doesn't mean that we won't see 12" RAH figures from
Hasbro--it just might mean we see a lot of rehashes (and I wouldn't
count on any female figures) in the mass-market.

But....fifteen years ago this sort of deal is what got us that weird
cold-cast porcelien GI Joe from the Danbury Mint--the one copied from
the 30th Anniversary figure.

This is a definite step up.

--
Later, Rudy

Visit POPCult at http://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

NON SPORT UPDATE http://www.nonsportupdate.com/

MASTERCOLLECTOR.COM http://www.mastercollector.com/

Mark

Feb 4, 2008, 9:40:22 AM2/4/08
On Feb 3, 9:50 pm, "DeltaForceChung" <inva...@noknownemail.com> wrote:

the real question is not the booblage, but the nipplage.

Rudy Panucci

Feb 4, 2008, 9:51:56 AM2/4/08
Mark wrote:

> the real question is not the booblage, but the nipplage.

Maybe we can get a panel discussion with Mark Cherry and JimBobWan about
the proper nipple-to-cleavage ratio at the next convention.

Tanker

Feb 4, 2008, 2:54:44 PM2/4/08
That would be MIKE Cherry and I just got done talking to the forces
that be my bosses at SS and they are going to be made under the same
licensing that the Star Wars figures were made from. Hasbro is sub-
licensing the RAH line to Sideshow. And according to what I was told
Paramount is not involved with the toy end.

Dave
www.tankersgarrison.com

On Feb 4, 8:51 am, Rudy Panucci <rudy...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
> > the real question is not the booblage, but the nipplage.
>
> Maybe we can get a panel discussion with Mark Cherry and JimBobWan about
> the proper nipple-to-cleavage ratio at the next convention.
>
> --
> Later, Rudy
>

> Visit POPCult athttp://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

Tanker

Feb 4, 2008, 2:56:02 PM2/4/08
If I am NOT mistaken, Rudy needs to do a RFC from Joelanta this May

Dave

Mark

Feb 4, 2008, 3:00:54 PM2/4/08
On Feb 4, 8:51 am, Rudy Panucci <rudy...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
> > the real question is not the booblage, but the nipplage.
>
> Maybe we can get a panel discussion with Mark Cherry and JimBobWan about
> the proper nipple-to-cleavage ratio at the next convention.
>
> --
> Later, Rudy
>
> Visit POPCult athttp://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

i just might have to attend, particularly if we can get a hands-on
workshop.

Gareee©

Feb 4, 2008, 3:50:35 PM2/4/08
So will we see actual movie based hasbro product, and then the deluxe $70 a
figure treatment by Sideshow?

I just don't see when Hasbro would be stupid enough to NOT want all that
cash for themselves, giving up one of thier prime licenses like that.

It'd be like seeing a big feature HotWheels movie, but then seeing the cars
licensed to Corgi or Maisto to produce.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Tanker

Feb 4, 2008, 5:42:15 PM2/4/08
Your not paying attention are you....they already did it with Star
Wars...sub-licensing made them money....Hasbro didn't loose a
dime...the same will happen with the RAH line considering they already
have the 3-3/4in line....

Tanker

Rudy Panucci

Feb 4, 2008, 6:13:23 PM2/4/08
Tanker wrote:
> If I am NOT mistaken, Rudy needs to do a RFC from Joelanta this May

I'm crunching the numbers now.

Trying to make it happen.

--
Later, Rudy

Visit POPCult at http://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

Rudy Panucci

Feb 4, 2008, 6:19:50 PM2/4/08

In this case, Hasbro doesn't want to take the risk of catering to a
collector's market when they can just let Sideshow handle it and sit
back and collect the royalty money.

Sideshow has proven that they can deliver to the collector's market
better than almost anyone else. Hasbro doesn't currently chase that
market for action figures, so it makes sense. They don't see the
Sideshow stuff as competition with their core product. It's like they'd
pick the top company to produce a collectible plate or statue rather
than try to start their own division from scratch.

You're forgetting, if these figures bomb, Hasbro doesn't lose one penny.

If they made their own collector's line, the start-up costs would be
enormous, and the return questionable. That's not to say they won't do
that in the future, but for now the Sideshow name may actually sell more
figures than the Hasbro brand--to that particular market.

--
Later, Rudy

Visit POPCult at http://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

bigji...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2008, 6:38:33 PM2/4/08
Imagine Hasblo trying to make a collectible figure!!!!!!! They can't
figure how to put a vintage style head on their good SA body. How
would ever produce a figure that would sell for $50 or so?

On Feb 4, 6:19 pm, Rudy Panucci <rudy...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Visit POPCult athttp://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

DeltaForceChung

Feb 4, 2008, 6:49:28 PM2/4/08
WELL . . .

You for starters.

I envision a 1:6 diorama for next year's show with a built and menacing 1:6
corrections officer figure using a 1:6 baton beating the 1:6 crap out of a
1:6 figure of me clutching onto boxes of 1:6 figures with assorted 1:6
figures representing others members of "The Sandbox" and elsewhere.

I'd wager it'll win first place in the diorama contest.

I can take it just as I can dish it out . . . last time I checked.

--

"BigdaddyK" <offic...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

maxmike!!

Feb 4, 2008, 7:00:22 PM2/4/08

"DeltaForceChung" <inv...@noknownemail.com> wrote in message

> WELL . . .
>
> You for starters.
>
> I envision a 1:6 diorama for next year's show with a built and menacing
> 1:6
> corrections officer figure using a 1:6 baton beating the 1:6 crap out of a
> 1:6 figure of me clutching onto boxes of 1:6 figures with assorted 1:6
> figures representing others members of "The Sandbox" and elsewhere.

Actually, if it's BDK, he'll be holding a 1:6 two-by-four! And he won't be
beating you with it...
maxmike

DeltaForceChung

Feb 4, 2008, 7:09:27 PM2/4/08
Speaking of which . . . I'm due for a colon cancer screening this month.

--

"maxmike!!" <nos...@falsorian.com> wrote in message

Scott Norris

Feb 4, 2008, 7:08:01 PM2/4/08
Do it Do it Do it!

Scott45

"Rudy Panucci" <rud...@suddenlink.net> wrote in message

Scott Norris

Feb 4, 2008, 7:58:13 PM2/4/08
Don't forget your prostate exam.......

Now that I'm past 40 I need to have that done.....

"DeltaForceChung" <inv...@noknownemail.com> wrote in message

BigdaddyK

Feb 5, 2008, 12:03:09 AM2/5/08
On Feb 4, 5:49 pm, "DeltaForceChung" <inva...@noknownemail.com> wrote:
> WELL . . .
>
> You for starters.
>
> I envision a 1:6 diorama for next year's show with a built and menacing 1:6
> corrections officer figure using a 1:6 baton beating the 1:6 crap out of a
> 1:6 figure of me clutching onto boxes of 1:6 figures with assorted 1:6
> figures representing others members of "The Sandbox" and elsewhere.
>
> I'd wager it'll win first place in the diorama contest.
>
> I can take it just as I can dish it out . . . last time I checked.

I'm not sure what you're alluding to, but FYI - I don't carry a baton.

I've found that it's more satisfying (not to mention personal) to use
the ol'
biscuit snatchers when you want to emulate AT&T and "reach out and
touch someone". 8-)

You might wanna check into "splinter revmoval clinics" in the greater
Atlanta area though.

BDK

The Buffalo Soldier

Feb 5, 2008, 6:12:56 AM2/5/08
On Feb 3, 9:14 pm, Leonard Armstrong <lta100...@comcast.net> wrote:
"I never thought you'd see G.I. Joe made by anyone but Hasbro."

This isn't the first time that's happened... Dreams & Visions made 12"
GI Joes, and they did a very good job with it. So why not give
Sideshow a chance to produce 12" GI Joes as well?

In my opinion it's a smart move for Hasbro to license the name and let
other companies produce the toys, there's far less risk for them of
producing a product and having it flop at retail and then they lose
money. If they let Sideshow do it they lose nothing and chances are
good (based on the past history of Sideshow) consumers will very
likely get a high quality product that totally lives up to the name of
GI Joe. Thus Hasbro wins, the GI Joe name wins, and consumers win....
although it is likely we will pay more to acquire these toys, but if
the quality is high then perhaps it's worth it to pay more.

Tanker

Feb 5, 2008, 11:53:13 AM2/5/08
What I find hilarious is the banter going around the Yahoo
groups...People going on about how Sideshow either stole the license
or its stupid for them to sell out. Hasbro made money on the deal.
Just like the Star Wars licensing...oh wait, did you even know about
that? Yeah! They sold their SW license to Sideshow too...ask anyone
here who got one of the 13 12" figures they put out how the quality
was. I saw the rebel soldiers and wished I had gotten the chance to
review them. I do get the chance with GIjOE!!

It's all gooooood!

Tanker
www.tankersgarrison.com

Gareee©

Feb 5, 2008, 3:45:29 PM2/5/08
Well, with the prices sideshow charges, I can guarentee I won't be picking
anything up at all.

I would just think that this would be a prime oppertunity to get 12" joes
into kid's hands, and build the brand back up, with affordable accessible
figures, and a tie in video game.. it's working for Halo.

Mark Brockman

Feb 5, 2008, 6:06:48 PM2/5/08

That's my main problem with the whole deal. Now we'll have $100+ Joes
from Sideshow (and more than likely $129 - which seems to be a popular
price with Sideshow). Hell I thought the $30 we were paying for some
Joes when Hasbro was cranking them out was close to the limit.
Sideshow will probably make that look like a bargain.

Later,
--Mark
GI-...@spamkiller.cinci.rr.com
Remove "spamkiller." to contact
"G.I. Joe - It's the real thing!"

Gareee©

Feb 5, 2008, 10:08:33 PM2/5/08
"Mark Brockman" <gi-...@spamkiller.cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:45:29 -0500, "Gareee©"
> <gareee-...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Well, with the prices sideshow charges, I can guarentee I won't be picking
>>anything up at all.
>>
>>I would just think that this would be a prime oppertunity to get 12" joes
>>into kid's hands, and build the brand back up, with affordable accessible
>>figures, and a tie in video game.. it's working for Halo.
>>
> That's my main problem with the whole deal. Now we'll have $100+ Joes
> from Sideshow (and more than likely $129 - which seems to be a popular
> price with Sideshow). Hell I thought the $30 we were paying for some
> Joes when Hasbro was cranking them out was close to the limit.
> Sideshow will probably make that look like a bargain.

Yep, and it's been proven many times over that quality products do NOT need
to be expensive, but Sideshow will milk the market for whatever they can.

C.Martin

Feb 6, 2008, 8:35:39 AM2/6/08
I'll get at least one Sideshow- my favorite RAH character; Flint. I always
dug the attention to detail- that his beret sported a Delta Force flash.

C.

"Gareee©" <gareee-...@charter.net> wrote in message

Gareee©

Feb 6, 2008, 12:04:00 PM2/6/08
Hmmm just had a thought.. wonder if the Sideshow stuff will have a Sigma Six
like spin on it?

Tanker

Feb 8, 2008, 11:56:18 AM2/8/08
Sideshow prices are on par with Dragon and in some cases better. You
usually get a ton of stuff with SS figs as opposed to the limited
amount with some Dragon sets.

Dave

Gareee©

Feb 8, 2008, 7:03:34 PM2/8/08
"Tanker" <m1a1t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>Sideshow prices are on par with Dragon and in some cases better. You
usually get a ton of stuff with SS figs as opposed to the limited
amount with some Dragon sets.

Look at thing liek the 21st century German motorcycle/sidecar set, the
accessories, included vehicle, and outstanding outfit, on a well articulated
body.

Then look at any sideshow figure for $69 or so. You get one or two small
accessories, and an outfit of the same caliber as 21st was doing in many
cases.

Example, Smuggler Han Solo...(just picked a random one)

Pretty plain outfit, though well done.

a.. Detailed costume including:

a.. Shirt
b.. Pants
c.. Boots
d.. Vest
e.. Detailed Belt with holster
a.. Accessories including:

a.. Stormtrooper Blaster
b.. "Hangar Bay" Blaster Pistol
c.. Droid caller
d.. Beverage
e.. Interchangeable gloved and ungloved hands
a.. 12-inch Figure Display Base with Star Wars logo

Not a whole lot of "great accessories" for the $65 pricepoint.. and let's
not forget the $10 shipping and handling they'll be tacking on to him as
well.

Then look at, say, the 8 ropes of danger set... $30, fully available in
retail stores, no shipping and handling charges, and two handfuls of
included goodies.

With mass market items, they can deliver a better price because they sell
more items, plus again there's no shipping or handling charges.

With major movie releases, we see a whole aisle dedicated to that license,
chuck full of all sorts of stuff...

Now imagine that aisle full of Joe stuff done by Hasbro, with
razor/razorblade sets, and new 1:6 vehicles and such....

or imagine 1/3rd an aisle, filled with 3 3/4 joes and vehicles, and a
website link in your email box...

I'm just saying totally missed oppertunity on Hasbro's part. Biggest break
they've had in reviving the license in 20 years...

MERK

Feb 9, 2008, 9:50:56 AM2/9/08
Not really complaining about the price...these are collectibles (like
it or not) not toys, being marketed to adults and SS has to pay for
the license. They`re certainly not as good a value as...say DiD
figures (IMO) but not outrageous either (Like a lot of Hot Toys
figures!).

But...SS refuses to ship US Post to Canada and charges 30.00 bucks
shipping on a 12 inch figure! Now that`s a friggin` gouge!

Bob S

Feb 9, 2008, 11:17:41 AM2/9/08
Yo Joe! A huge new license is coming soon to Sideshow!
Sideshow Collectibles is extremely excited to announce that we will be
creating GI Joe collectibles! If you have not yet seen it, check out
our new video teasing this upcoming announcement at
SideshowCollectibles.com. Go watch it now, or suffer the consequences!
Also be sure to come back to SideshowCollectibles.com during our
upcoming online Toy Fair event, running from Sunday, February 17th,
through Wednesday, February 20th, to learn more details about our Joe
plans! [Watch our GI JOE teaser video] [Sideshow's Toy Fair - February
17th-20th]

Bob S