Sandbox Exclusive Figure Set (PLEASE READ)

Greg Brown

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

I have already posted this elsewhere in the NG to someone's proposal, but I
thought it might be notices if alone. Here it is again:

OK, I have been doing some serious thinking on this issue and here is what I
think we can do for this to make the U-Boat Commander:

Get German Naval Officer's Cap from Cot's
Get either the sailor dungaress, a TON of ME pants, or the fatigue trousers
and I dye them whatever color they need to be
Get Cot's Binoculars
Get an Elite Fig with either the Zach or Frank heads with blonde hair (of
course)
Get (God willing) Tom Calhoun to make some of those black turtlenecks
Get someone (I think I can talk to someone about this) to make a custom box
cover

This is where I need some help:

Boxes to hold these guys
Someone who makes a naval coat (leather or otherwise).

If y'all are serious on this, I will spearhead the procurement and making of
these figs. In order for them to be affordable, we need AT LEAST 50 takers.

Please tell me what you think...

Greg

--
Over and out...
Greg

Greg Brown

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

REPOSTED AT ORIGINAL POSTER's REQUEST:

Dear Greg,
I too agree with you that a U-Boat Commander would be the best choice for
the
sandbox exclusive. Many of the other ideas are great, but they are not
economical and feasible like a U-Boat Commander would be. Here's some notes
that I made about the figure: Starting from the top:
UNIFORM
Cot's Navy captain hat (Is there anything we could do to upgrade this hat?)
(Maybe Yoon could do one seeing as he made a SS hat that would be similar to
Naval Captains.)
Tartan Scarf (available from Circle Home, this would make a nice little
touch)
White turtleneck (We could ask Tom Calhoun he could do one like the black
spy
version he made. I have the black turtle neck and its great!) (If not Circle
Home has a white turtleneck in the making.)
Black oil-skin deck jacket (this could be the highlight of the figure.
Circle
Home makes a NICE one that looks authentic. Check it out on their web page.
Maybe we could get a discount.)
Dark Blue trousers (M.E. sailor ones or any regular blue jeans)
German Service Boots (Polo could supply them, that would add a nice Sandbox
touch)
ACESSORIES:
Cot's Binoculars
Cot's black oval goggles (for a challenge, we could try and replace the
lens'
with red tinted plastic, or pain them smooth red.)
Iron Cross (Toys n Stuff)
U-Boat Combat clasp (Cot's)
custom 'Swordfish' badge unique to the 9th U-flotille (nice custom touch)
Bottle of wine (Jimbob??) and pack of German cigarettes (Get Cot's pack of
Lucky Strikes and paste over Gerry cigs lable of some sort)!!!
E-mail me back at what all of you think!!!
Thanks Joe Tucker

Ilya

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

Greg Brown wrote in message ...

snip

>Please tell me what you think...

>Over and out...
>Greg

I'm really not into the German stuff but this sounds like a winner. I would
be in for one if for no other reason than to help make the quota. What about
the boots? Is it a knee length oilskin or jackboot type or other? Can't
remember. As for the turtleneck would a grey one pass for authentic or would
that be the Irish Spring guy I'm thinking about? Other than the cap would
any other insignia be needed? Is this a first for the sandbox or has this
been done before, cuz whoever thought it up should get his Kapitan for free!

Ilya

P.S., While you're on it, what's gonna be the official sandbox title for the
U-Meister?

B&C Arthur

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Sorry for posting again gang. It just occurred to me that if we have a
U-Boat captain, the figure would have to be at the start of his mission - no
beard - (unless a custom head is out there?). Is it not true that sub crews
didn't shave in order to conserve water?

The reason I mention this is the uniform would look pretty crisp as opposed
to the "lived in look" that we see so many pictures of.

Or, then again, do we really care?

Curt.

JRT82281

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

I really think that the Exclusive idea is going to work afterall. I was
hesitant at first, but there has been major response, especially on behalf of
the U-Boat Kaptain

>Is it a knee length oilskin or jackboot type or other?

I figure that German Service Boots pictured on Polo's web page would pass
because they are low cut for those cramped quarters in the steel beast.

>As for the turtleneck would a grey one pass for authentic or

Basically any color would pass, because once out in the Atlantic, no one
inforced the dress code. I thought of maybe a dark red color would be nice.
Anything but black as to not blend in with the oilskin.

>Other than the cap would any other insignia be needed?

I figure that shoulderboards on the Oilskin deck jacket would ne appropriate.
You could even throw in an Iron Cross, U-Boat Combat badge, but I don't know
were they would go because there would be no uniform tunic to put them on.
Another MAJOR badge that should not be left out is the swordfish badge of the
9th U-Flotille. It is hard to describe, but it is basically a caricature of a
swordfish that would be pinned on the side of an overseas cap. On ours it could
be pinned proudly on the deck jacket. (If you watch Das Boot, you'll see there
is a huge swordfish on the side of their boat.

> Is this a first for the sandbox

As far as I know, yes it is. The whole idea came to me after seeing Mike Leon's
pictures of the NorCal exclusive, and how jealous I was, so I decided to do one
for the Sandbox of possible.

I can't think of a title at the moment, but if you wanted to make it
personalized it could be the name of someone I found in a book:

U-124 Kapitanleutnant Wilhelm Schultz, 2nd U-Flotille, April 1941

If this was the name, the boat insignia would have to be changed from a
swordfish to the edelweiss badge.

JRT82281

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

>(unless a custom head is out there?).
You could use one of Cotswolds bearded heads to give him that scruffy look

As for the crispness of the uniform, It might not matter that much, because the
only thing you'll be seeing is the deck jacket and pants. You could scuff up
the boots and cap if needed.

Joe Tucker

RichBrown8

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

I would be a buyer for a U-Boat Commander, but only if it's a GI Joe. Can we
not use an actual GI Joe figure rather than a Cotswold?

--Rich

The Spy

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

just wanted ot remind you (if you are refering to the
role played by David McCallum in the Man from U.N.C.L.E.)
that ILLYA is written with double LL instead of ILYA as
you write it. No hard feelings, its just that it keeps
on popping up in my mind.

Bye

Christoph

ajh...@pressroom.com

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98
to Greg Brown

Greg Brown wrote:

(snip)

> This is where I need some help:
>
> Boxes to hold these guys

I could design the box and do all of the illustrations on it (being a
professional illustrator) if someone has the means to print the boxes for
cheap price :)

I could post some pics of my work (if you'd like) to determine wether I'd
be a good candidate for this project.

Lmk,
-Carcass

MTBIKESETH

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

I like the idea and it seems we are on the way. My only question is whether we
can add a personal touch to the figure. Something that will set it appart and
make so it can not be copied very well, or just make it unique. Maybe add a
personal item or two to the figure? What might he carry?

Just a thought...I think you guys have come up with a winner!!

Seth

B&C Arthur

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

RichBrown8 wrote in message
<19980201033...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

Will Hasbro sell a nude figure?
Maybe we should consider a uniform/gear only set without a figure?

Curt.

RichBrown8

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

>Will Hasbro sell a nude figure?
>Maybe we should consider a uniform/gear only set without a >figure?

I don't have a Cotswold catalog in front of me right now, but aren't the
careded Joes less expensive than the Cotswold figures? By going this route, we
make it a genuine "exclusive" GI Joe figure, rather than an exclusive military
action figure. Otherwise, I agree: Make a uniform set without the figure. Or
offer a choice, the figure & the uniform or just the uniform, and then I'll
stick it on my own genuine GI Joe.

--Rich

Randy Ferreira

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

B&C Arthur wrote in message <6b24fs$71$1...@newsbell.bellglobal.com>...

>RichBrown8 wrote in message
><19980201033...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
>>I would be a buyer for a U-Boat Commander, but only if it's a GI Joe. Can
>we
>>not use an actual GI Joe figure rather than a Cotswold?
>>
>>--Rich
>

>Will Hasbro sell a nude figure?
>Maybe we should consider a uniform/gear only set without a figure?
>

>Curt.
>Curt, I think this is an excellent ideal!!!!! Outfit and accessories in a
window box much like the B-17 bomber!!! What does everyone else
think?!?!?!?!?!

Frank Clark

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Post away Carcass, I for one would love to see some of your work
(especially if its about Joe).

Frank
In article <34D451...@pressroom.com>, ajh...@pressroom.com says...

Greg Brown

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Well, the only affordable solution would be for someone to procure a large
stock of ME Joes. I would suggest the new $14.99 Joe, but from the sounds
of it, the hat may be too big for it.

Greg

Ilya

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

The Spy wrote in message ...

No reminder needed Christoph, but thanks for the input. Ilya (I originally
spelled it Illya) has been my handle on the web since I went online a few
years ago and has nothing to do with U.N.C.L.E. I'm not really that big of
a fan. Someone spotted my handle in the sandbox one day last year and made
a pun about scalpers being part of T.H.R.U.S.H. ! We've had a little fun
with it ever since, but just this past week I have returned to my signature
'Ilya'.

Off topic even further, the very first time I made the U.N.C.L.E. connection
was a few years ago while in a chat room. Some Urkel made a proposition to
a lady from KY that I was chatting with, which was let's say - LESS THAN
DECENT. I ripped his a** with extreme prejudice until after many kilobytes
of virtual sparring he mustered (feebly),

"Who the f**k do you think you are?"

Pressed for a response the only thing that I could think of was

"The Man From U.N.C.L.E., George S*****".

The lamer had accepted the default settings from his internet provider and
all of his factual information was listed under "Who's This?"! His last
post was,

"How did you know my name was GS?"

"Because I'm the Man From U.N.C.L.E. and we get paid to know!"

That with some Russian phrases like "May I have the check, please?" must
have went thru him like sh*t thru a goose.

I often wonder if that guy pulled his PC's chord out of the wall and jumped
under the bed when he realized his name was in lights. He probably never
asked another woman if she liked receiving in the shipping department!

As for me, I think I'll come in from the cold & let you have the honors of
Spy in the Box. BTW it makes me cringe when I see a period war piece like
M*A*S*H* where they're all wearing '64 or later issued fatigues! That is my
way of saying, no hard feelings here, I wish everyone paid attention to
details.

Greg Brown

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

The only option there would be for someone to come across a stash of ME
Joes. The $14.99 fellas are an option, but the heads may be too small for
the hat...

The Spy

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Hi, Ilya (noticed the spelling) thanks for the remarks.
Just shows that one has to be careful with the
comments you make. Like the story behind it.
Well, lets see if I get used to ILYA.

Bye

Christoph

B&C Arthur

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

RichBrown8 wrote in message
(snip)

Make a uniform set without the figure. Or
>offer a choice, the figure & the uniform or just the uniform, and then I'll
>stick it on my own genuine GI Joe.
>
>--Rich

If we went this route, I would be putting the uniform on one of my fuzz
heads!

Curt.

the_...@pacbell.net

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98
to JRT82281

It looks like you guys are really takin off with this U-boat commander
thing. You might want to gauge the response carefully before you make a
final decision. As you well know, a lot of people play with their
Joes. I don't know how much play value a Submarine commander might have
without a submarine to command. The second thing to consider is that
there are a few of us who find the butchering of civilians from sinking
merchant marines, (and pretty much everything the Nazi Germans did),
pretty morally reprehensible, and might not want the sandbox represented
by one. Not that I wouldn't ever want a Nazi figure, (for the good guys
to kill of course)! It looks like you're monitoring this thing and if
the tally is that great to make it worth the response, have at it. You
should remember that some that favor the idea, or think it's a "neat
idea", may not when they're paying custom prices. It seems if you had
something that was playable as well as neat, you could pick up the slack
of anyone who might end up flaking. Well just my two, and two before =
four. If you do go with the Nazi, let me know if you do another
exclusive, I'll have to pass on this one.

B&C Arthur

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Greg Brown wrote

>The only option there would be for someone to come across a stash of ME
>Joes. The $14.99 fellas are an option, but the heads may be too small for
>the hat...
>
>Greg

OK,. here is a thought or two...

How about the ME figure gets to be the figure. Give everyone three options:

1. Order the figure and unform

2. Order the figure and deluxe uniform or

3. Order only the uniform.

We would then have everyone wanting option 1 or 2 send in say $15.00 in
start-up funds so someone who has access to ME's. This person could go out
and clear out the local store with cheap ME's left. The ME unfiorm and
equipment would then be bagged up and included with the special edition
figure - random draw for uniforms or everyone writes in with what uniform
they want.

Another option would be for people to send an ME joe into the central
location along with their deposit. There would be the understanding that
they may not get that joe back - problem here would be loose joints or
possible damaged goods being sent in.

As for the books, they could be donated to local schools and libraries in
the town where the person who went out and did all of the work lives.

Just a thought.

Curt.

Ilya

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

MTBIKESETH wrote in message ...

For a North Atlantic patrol wouldn't a scarf be in order. I have a picture
of Gunther Prien wearing one and it kind of works with the reefer jacket or
the leather coat.

Ilya

Greg Brown

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Until ya nobheads get off this PC thing about should and should not be made,
then I'm out for doing this shindig.

If I hear another pc thing about a war-related set, I'll gag. Better throw
away my Japanese soldiers because of the Bataan Death March that killed my
Uncle or my Nam guys cuz they could be "baby killers".

I do not know about the rest of you fellas, but I do custom stuff for the
display and representation of different uniforms from different wars. By
making a U-Boat Commander, do I condone the sinking of civilian ships - no.
On that light, did all U-boats sink civilian ships - probably not. Now are
we making this custom set to be played with? I am not, but if you are, then
more power to you. The stuff at the NorCal show looked to me to be for
display. I have yet to see a custom toy that would be built/made for play
(would you take a Tripwire creation and let your kid play with it - I would
not).

I was trying to offer assistance on something and again we hit the pc
police. I'M OUT!!!

Over and out!

Greg

jim&wendy

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

B&C Arthur wrote:

> RichBrown8 wrote in message
> <19980201033...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
> >I would be a buyer for a U-Boat Commander, but only if it's a GI Joe. Can
> we
> >not use an actual GI Joe figure rather than a Cotswold?
> >
> >--Rich
>
> Will Hasbro sell a nude figure?
> Maybe we should consider a uniform/gear only set without a figure?
>
> Curt.

the master collector paper i get has a member exclusive of 5 cc's for
$72.00 but a limit of 10 sets.

blackdog

Mark Bryan

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

You tell um Greg. I mean wasn't it a guy named Mush Mortin who was
incomand of a US sub named Wahoo. Didn't he order some jap survivors in
the water be machineguned. I bet that guy never watched Das Boot cause
if he had he might have noticed that not all Germans at that time were
party members. I was wondering when one of these PC Goobs was gonna turn
up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_...@pacbell.net

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Greg Brown wrote:

> Until ya nobheads get off this PC thing about should and should not be made,
> then I'm out for doing this shindig.
>
> If I hear another pc thing about a war-related set, I'll gag.

SNIP

> I was trying to offer assistance on something and again we hit the pc
> police. I'M OUT!!!
>
> Over and out!
>
> Greg

Well, if it's "pc" to think that Nazi's are scum, I'm guilty as
charged. If that's what everyone wants, like I said in my post, have at
it. I was just bringing up something that might not have been considered
to keep you guys from ordering a ton of them and getting stuff with a
bunch of leftovers.

Greg Brown

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Correct me if I am wrong, but not all German military were Nazi's. To my
knowledge, Nazi's were a political party. This deal was to be made
exclusively for us, the Sandbox members, not for general distribution to the
buying public. We are the ones determining what we are getting, thus no
leftovers. To every pro, there is a con. War is not a clean cut picture.
There were good German soldiers and there were bad German soldiers. There
were good Japanese soldiers and then there were the bad ones. Heck, there
were good American and British Soldiers and, unfortunately, there were bad
ones. But what WE have to look is what we want as an exclusive to put on our
shelves in our studies, bedrooms, or wherever, not wonder if it is morally
right, PC, or whatever it is.

Nuff said,

Greg

B&C Arthur

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Greg Brown wrote
>Until ya nobheads get off this PC thing about should and should not be
made,
>then I'm out for doing this shindig.

I am sorry to hear that you are out Greg. I hope that down the road a bit
you will reconsider and get back in on this thing as you really have shown
the know how to get these things off the ground.

It is a pretty sad statement when we spend so much of our time worrying
about every possible down side to every decision. Those of us who are in
business and have to deal with unions know too well, when you waste your
time worrying about every possible negative in a decision, you get bogged
down and never move forward and never take any chances.

I wanted the U-Boat guy because it would be cool. I also wanted the guy
because it would be a custom job done by the people on this NG. Finally, I
wanted the U-Boat guy because I look at their crews as some of the bravest
and most daring sailors of the war. Before we get tons of PC stuff about
these bad guys, nobody said that this was a Nazi captain. We also can't
forget that the US fought the same sub war as the Germans and just did it
better should we never get an American figure? What nation can we do
without having someone take offense?

So, do we drop this figure now and find another? Do we vote? Do we put
this on hold now and revisit in April?

I for one think you have done some great stuff Greg.

Curt.

Gregory G. James

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Greg's right....you PC history re-writers make me sick!

I go for historical accuracy - I do NOT condone the ideaology
or politics of any of the various areas that I'm interested
in....I happen to be interested in Waffen SS soldiers because
they were elite troops and received the latest equipment, NOT
for atrocities they committed, which happen in ALL wars by
both sides most of the time.

Pretending a group didn't exist doesn't make the history go
away.....you're guaranteeing that it will be forgotten and
probably repeated!! I'm sure some Vietnamese wished they
had never heard of Lt. William Calley either! War is a VERY
dirty business and the world is sometimes not a very nice place.

It's about the HISTORY, right or wrong, just be accurate!

Greg James

Mike Jackiw

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Greg Brown wrote in message <6b3arh$cc3$1...@excalibur.flash.net>...

>Correct me if I am wrong, but not all German military were Nazi's. To my

Correct...many avoided joining but had to keep that fact very secret. Others
joined out of fear. Most of these PC people are totally ignorant of what a
"police state" means to the common person. For the most part you don't have
*any* choice...you do what the political rulers say, or die. You follow their
orders at the front, or your family dies. If you think, as too many seem to,
that it's easy for a soldier or civilian for that matter to disobey orders based
on conscience...knowing your wife and children will be put into a concentration
camp...think again. Field Marshal Erwin Rommel fought against Hitler time and
again...finally to save his family he was forced to commit suicide. Think about
that...and that was one of the most important Germans in W.W.II.

>leftovers. To every pro, there is a con. War is not a clean cut picture.
>There were good German soldiers and there were bad German soldiers.
>There were good Japanese soldiers and then there were the bad ones. >Heck,

there were good American and British Soldiers and, unfortunately, >here were bad

ones. But what WE have to look is what we want as an

That's right.

>shelves in our studies, bedrooms, or wherever, not wonder if it is morally
>right, PC, or whatever it is.

Exactly!

Mike
http://www.mcs.net/~michaelj/index.htm

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the
right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."
- General H. Norman Schwarzkopf

the_...@pacbell.net

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

the_...@pacbell.net wrote:

> Greg Brown wrote:
> >
> > Until ya nobheads get off this PC thing about should and should not be made,
> > then I'm out for doing this shindig.
> >
> > If I hear another pc thing about a war-related set, I'll gag.
>
> SNIP
> >
> > I was trying to offer assistance on something and again we hit the pc
> > police. I'M OUT!!!
> >
> > Over and out!
> >
> > Greg
>
> Well, if it's "pc" to think that Nazi's are scum, I'm guilty as
> charged. If that's what everyone wants, like I said in my post, have at
> it. I was just bringing up something that might not have been considered
> to keep you guys from ordering a ton of them and getting stuff with a
> bunch of leftovers.

As someone who served in the US military to defend democracy, I'd NEVER
thought I'd have to defend my views against NAZISM. Yet, because I
voice an opinion, I'm called a whiner and "PC". As far as me being a
"whiner" I was born in the US, (thank God!) and many good men died to
defend my right to voice my opinion, whether or not another man
considers it "whining". As far as being "PC" that's not accurate, I
think that's more of a term to describe sniveling band wagon jumpers...
Anyway, enjoy your Nazi

ScottBaker

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

RichBrown8 wrote:

> You know, I think Nazis are less than scum....and I'd still like to have one in
> my collection. Listen, folks who object to the idea, do what I'm going to do:
> Put your Nazi Joe in a diorama where he's getting the tar kicked out of him by
> an American Joe.
>
> --Rich

OH MY GOD!

Now I agree with Rich!

BTW Rich, my favorte Vintage piece is an Aquanaut too! Spooky, huh.;-)

-Scott

ScottBaker

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

> As someone who served in the US military to defend democracy, I'd NEVER
> thought I'd have to defend my views against NAZISM. Yet, because I
> voice an opinion, I'm called a whiner and "PC". As far as me being a
> "whiner" I was born in the US, (thank God!) and many good men died to
> defend my right to voice my opinion, whether or not another man
> considers it "whining". As far as being "PC" that's not accurate, I
> think that's more of a term to describe sniveling band wagon jumpers...
> Anyway, enjoy your Nazi

You sure don't have to defend your views against the Nazi's. I think
most of us here agree with you . At least I hope most (if not all) of us
do. I think you are taking more flack than you deserve from your
original post. As I recall all you said was we should try to guage the
interest in doing such a figure and that you wouldn't be interested. I
think that most of us would be though. Maybe we should all stop
bickering about this and try to find out what we want to do. I would
mind having a U-Boat captain Nazi or not. If he was a Nazi that would
just give my Joes somebody to beat up on.;-)

I sure hope this project gets going, because I'd really like to have a
sandbox exclusive figure!

Greg, you're a saint here the sandbox. I sure hope you come back in on
this thing.

-Scott

Jack33

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

Ok, here's the deal. It matters not whether the figure is a U-boat
commander or a Concentration Camp commander. Its JOE for pete's sake!
It don't mean we're joining the Nazi party. We're all gonna have to
keep an open mind about this and appreciate the history in it.

The_Jack
that's my .02 cents anyway

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:36:58 -0600, "Greg Brown" <ekl...@flash.net>
wrote:

>I have already posted this elsewhere in the NG to someone's proposal, but I
>thought it might be notices if alone. Here it is again:
>
>OK, I have been doing some serious thinking on this issue and here is what I
>think we can do for this to make the U-Boat Commander:
>
>Get German Naval Officer's Cap from Cot's
>Get either the sailor dungaress, a TON of ME pants, or the fatigue trousers
>and I dye them whatever color they need to be
>Get Cot's Binoculars
>Get an Elite Fig with either the Zach or Frank heads with blonde hair (of
>course)
>Get (God willing) Tom Calhoun to make some of those black turtlenecks
>Get someone (I think I can talk to someone about this) to make a custom box
>cover

>This is where I need some help:
>

>Boxes to hold these guys
>Someone who makes a naval coat (leather or otherwise).
>
>If y'all are serious on this, I will spearhead the procurement and making of
>these figs. In order for them to be affordable, we need AT LEAST 50 takers.
>
>Please tell me what you think...
>
>Greg
>

>--
>Over and out...
>Greg

B. Yoon Lim

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

Greg Brown wrote:

> Until ya nobheads get off this PC thing about should and should not be made,
> then I'm out for doing this shindig.

this debate again...

Don´t know HMan, in my Joe collection there are Nazi´s, US, British,
japanese and probably spanish militar unis in the future. I collect Joes
that represent soldiers of diferent armies and Nationalities. I am
pretty concerned about how bad and evil was a Nazi or a japanese during
that war, BUT that is ONE thing and the figures I play with is ANOTHER
thing completely different.

Myself (as korean origin) can tell you scary stories about japanese guys
fifty years ago, but I do have a japanese soldier in my collection and
that doesn´t make me feel any guilty or shame to my ancestors.

There may be good guys or bad guys in a war, but nobody is innocent.
From your same point of view, somebody would say he wouldn´t like any
Joe as B-17 bomber, just ask to the grandsons and grandaughters of the
people (innocent civilians) who have died in Bremen, Dresde or in any
other german town during WWII because of the Allies raids.

Not to mention if someone ever dares to make a Enola Gay pilot joe!.

I recall a debate we had some weeks ago about the Ira thing. And to be
honest, if somebody ever dares to make a Ira terrorist Joe, I wouldn´t
go, BUT BECAUSE I don´t see any attractive in an outfit of that kind,
NOT because I am very sensitive about the Ira terrorism (actually I am
VERY sensitive about that).

Enough said

Yoon

cs...@erols.com

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

No offense -- but maybe you should read some history books. Nazi is
not synonymous with German. The National Socialists were a poltical
party -- not every German was affiliated with it. No one is going to
defend the Nazis, but you dishonor the brave German patriots who were
not Nazis, those who fought and died honorably. I respect your
opinion, but I just wanted to make that clarification.

Chris

B. Yoon Lim

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

> Well, if it's "pc" to think that Nazi's are scum, I'm guilty as
> charged. If that's what everyone wants, like I said in my post, have at
> it. I was just bringing up something that might not have been considered
> to keep you guys from ordering a ton of them and getting stuff with a
> bunch of leftovers.

OK Nazi=scum, I fully agree.

You dont want a Nazi Joe, OK, it is up to you, I fully respect your
option.

But because I want a Nazi Joe, am I a Nazi?

--

Take a minute and visit my websites:

My collector page at http://personal.redestb.es/yoon/am01.htm
The Geyperman Guide at http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/8383/
(this last one still under construction)

T. Sadler

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

Well said!!!

THOR

cs...@erols.com wrote in article <34d51de6...@news.erols.com>...

> No offense -- but maybe you should read some history books. Nazi is
> not synonymous with German. The National Socialists were a poltical
> party -- not every German was affiliated with it. No one is going to
> defend the Nazis, but you dishonor the brave German patriots who were
> not Nazis, those who fought and died honorably. I respect your
> opinion, but I just wanted to make that clarification.
>
> Chris

Argent 47

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

ajh...@pressroom.com wrote:

>Greg Brown wrote:
>>
>(snip)

>> This is where I need some help:
>>
>> Boxes to hold these guys
>

>I could design the box and do all of the illustrations on it (being a
>professional illustrator) if someone has the means to print the boxes for
>cheap price :)
>
>I could post some pics of my work (if you'd like) to determine wether I'd
>be a good candidate for this project.
>
>Lmk,
>-Carcass

Hey Carcass,
I'd loved to see some artwork posts. I was thinking about
volunteering (I dabbled in illustration for awhile, semi-pro) but it
appears it might be more in your court.
Again love to see some artwork, any type!
As for my vote, the U-Boat Kapitain wouldn't be my 1st vote,
but if its well done I think its a doer.

Argent

"nolo illegitimus carborundum"

Opie

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

>Not to mention if someone ever dares to make a Enola Gay pilot joe!.

Yoon, yer a hoot! ROFL!!!!
That's cool! YES! THAT's the exclusive Sandbox figure!!!!!
The Enola Gay Pilot! If anyone doesn't think that's PC enough, just
tell 'em it's the Enola pilot figure who's gay and they'll probably
nod (knowingly) and not cause a fuss (PC types don't seem to
appreciate or understand military history anyway).
COOL idea, Yoon! The Enola Gay Pilot! HA!
- Opie

Opie

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

Waitaminute... Greg said he was OUT? 'Cause of one single measly
little whiner? Nah - I won't believe it. Not Greg. Every tactical
assault has a few ricochets but they're mostly noise and don't do any
damage... You musta misread Greg's post...
Either that or he's become super-sensitive... but he's lived on the
usenet with Thor for so long that he MUST be reasonably thick-skinned.
If the guys who are DOers want a U-Boat/CC then let's do a U-boat/CC.
If the whiners want to do a VW-driving dope-smoking, amoral, anti-war
"peace, love, tranquility" LSD crazed hippy, then let 'em... I'd
probably go for one of those, too. Greg's a DOer, so get off his
case. My two cents.
-Op

RichBrown8

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

MTBIKESETH

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

I might be exposing more of myself than I would like and my ancestors may roll
over in their graves for what I say here, but so be it. A lot of my family
were killed by NAZIs during WWII, and my family members were not fighting in
any army. But lets not carry the "Nazi" to all Germans. Believe me, I have
heard all the arguments and rationals for mindless hate. Yada, Yada. I don't
get the hate for people who happen to live in the same country as those long
dead. If that were the case, why not hate all Americans for what was done to
the the native people living here as we [the european invaders] expanded
westward.

But enough said. What I really want to say is...For God Sake, we are talking
about a toy here, aren't we?

If you don't like it don't buy it. If there isn't enough interest, it won't
get made. Any hopefully there will be other sandbox exclusives, for those who
don't want to buy a U-Boat captian. That is the beauty of the sandbox as I see
it, you're free to play with whoever and whatever you want. Enough said!

Thanks, and your free to disagree and curse my name.

Seth

BrosJones

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

I think any authentic figure this group puts out is worth having. I mean, come
on, its a TOY. It is not like we are CLONING REAL NAZIS in order to create a
fourth reich or something. I guess this means any actor who ever portrayed a
German or Nazi or whatever had to actually agree wih the character's ideology
in order to properly ingross themselves in the part? Give me a break. I
wouldn't mine having one these guys myself. Heck, I was fixing up my DDAY's
with dye and stuff and was going to create a German force to fight anyway. Does
that make me a Nazi? I don't think so. (rambling points somewhat coherent).

Now, a suggestion. If we land some ME's how about using those ME boxes for the
artwork boxes? They could be easily printed over if treated correctly, etc. We
all know we got lots of leftovers. I would donate five or six I have laying
around. Just an idea.

The above editorial DOES reflect the views and opinions of ME!

Thanks,
MIKE J(OE)

ajh...@pressroom.com

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

Frank Clark wrote:

> Post away Carcass, I for one would love to see some of your work
> (especially if its about Joe).
>
> Frank

Alrighty then... you asked for it!!! Look under the header "Carcass does
WWII". Feedback would be appreciated :)

-Carcass

Tom

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

> >I would be a buyer for a U-Boat Commander, but only if it's a GI Joe. Can
> we
> >not use an actual GI Joe figure rather than a Cotswold?

You can get the new carded guys as cheap as bulk buy Cots figures. So
why not go with Joe.

--
Replace SPAMBYTES in return address with JUNO (i.e. juno.com)