Disappointed in the Walmart 45th Joe selection.

Mr. Scott

Nov 12, 2008, 7:20:33 PM11/12/08
Don't get me wrong. Any Joe's on the store shelf is a great thing. That
said ......

Walmart is selling the same stuff that was sold during the 40th
anniversary. I already have 2 mountain troops, 4 frogman (my favorite as
a child), 2 survival equipment (raft), and 2 dress marine sets. I don't
need more of them. And I don't need more because walmart is selling them
this time instead of target.

I can't blame Walmart. They just want to sell toys at christmas.

Hasbro could have stepped up and said that they had several sets they
had prepared to sell five years ago but dropped the ball on the deal.
They could have push for giving the people something new, instead of
something easy they've already made before.

I would have bought two of the Ski Patrol sets. I would have bought the
Air Sea Rescue set, the Breeches Buoy set, and the soldiers small card
set. Those were numbers 26-29 from the 40th line that were never made.
Instead, as I looked at the photo's posted on The Beachhead, I said to
myself, "Crap! I have all that".

I'm glad Joe's are in the store again. But Hasbro, how about giving us
something different? You had a chance to give us the rest of the 40th
line, and didn't.

My trips to Walmart looking for joe's is now over. I'm not buying. In a
market where money is tight, I'm not buying something I already have.

Mr Scott

Mr Scott's Halfway Station:
http://community.webtv.net/mrscottmn/MrScottsHalfway

Trade Page: http://community.webtv.net/shbeal/TradePageWanted

AirAdventurer74

Nov 12, 2008, 8:50:35 PM11/12/08
On Nov 12, 7:20 pm, mrscot...@webtv.net (Mr. Scott) wrote:

> I'm glad Joe's are in the store again. But Hasbro, how about giving us
> something different? You had a chance to give us the rest of the 40th
> line, and didn't.

I think it's only because these were already released that Walmart was
able to reissue these at already low prices.

Carin

Nov 12, 2008, 10:03:55 PM11/12/08
I wish instead of staying true to the vintage configuration they would have
made some imaginary sets mixed up of already released 40th stuff. They could
have added a rifle and a poncho to the snow set - maybe a helmet and a
parachute pack to the pilot raft set... you get the idea.

Kind of seems like they took leftover stock from the least popular sets
(save the frogman) and dusted it off and re-released it.

"AirAdventurer74" <rene.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message

holensock

Nov 12, 2008, 10:13:15 PM11/12/08
I sort of feel the same way, but I know I'd HATE myself of I didn't
buy any of these!
I'm WEAK when it comes to the original looking GI JOE!

Gun Shy

Nov 12, 2008, 11:06:57 PM11/12/08
After doing to some searching all over the Wal-Mart I was in tonight
( while looking for wiper blades ), I came across 4 whole displays
full of the new Joes, all packed up high and way above the sales
floor. Almost felt like 1964 again, with everything out of reach as it
was when I was kid.

I don't care much for the carded sets offered now, save for the Scuba
and Dress Marine, and at $10 those 2 sets are not bad. Glad to see
that after 10 years, Hasbro finally could get the items right, and it
appears that they may have made corrections in this series, like
making sure the shoes fit the feet of the Joes, and that things are
made good looking, working much better on the QC, at least on the sets
I saw. While still shrink wrapped, the items also sit behind an extra
stiffer clear window, helping to keep the thieves out a bit more, and
helps keep the package's shape better.

But I also thought, why did it take so long to finally get it right,
and priced right?

Why also I wondered, did it take till now to get back to the Razor
Razorblade approach, letting me pick which figures I wanted with what
accessory sets?

Why also with a "combo" of the accessory set and figure, does it come
up cheaper in total than any of the 40th sets, and when economic times
are worse now than any time before?

I also wondered why, did they choose to make 2 accessory sets that
really almost every collector has had just about all they will ever
want in their lives? A raft set and a very incomplete and totally non
matching snow shoe set. Can't help but think these will be blown out
bigtime soon, after all the Scuba and Marine sets are long gone. Seems
like a flight helmet and other sets would have been real knock out
choices, popular with collectors because of their value and function.

If the Dress Marine set was a good choice, why not the AF Dress set
too? If the COMPLETE Scuba set was a good choice, then why not the
COMPLETE Ski Patrol? Compare the sets, and see that the AF Dress would
have about the same item count as the Dress Marine, and the Ski Patrol
would have about the same item count as the Scuba, hence they all
could have fit into the same $10 price, and would all have been far
less likely to face "dust collecting shelf sitting" and "deep discount
bargain bin diving".

You might rightly gather that most Retro Style Joe collectors would
have had their fill with almost all of the repro Joes sets in the 40th
series, with only a few real "holes" they would wish to still fill now
that wasn't filled then. Even with the fixes in these new sets ( like
the now fitting Marine shoes ), I didn't forget about Joe in just 5
years, and most likely won't make a lot of repeat buys in most cases
now, even with the much better prices, with the times as they are, and
most others also won't buy a lot as they will have to budget for more
than their own desires for this Christmas.

It makes me smile to see it today, happy to pick up ONE set for me and
one for another long time collector buddy, but I also walk away
wondering why it took so long for Hasbro to get so little "right" now,
and why they didn't just do that back in the 90's instead of the HOF
attempts, and the other "not really close but kinda like it" series
releases before and after that.

I think I might have liked to see some "updates" in these retro sets,
like a nice "bird and globe" on that Marine Dress hat ( they did such
on the HOF styles ) instead of that simple gold ball, and as suggested
by others "fantasy sets" that were never made but should have been,
but so it goes.

Rudy Panucci

Nov 13, 2008, 4:42:57 AM11/13/08
Mr. Scott wrote:

> Hasbro could have stepped up and said that they had several sets they
> had prepared to sell five years ago but dropped the ball on the deal.
> They could have push for giving the people something new, instead of
> something easy they've already made before.

Remember, with Wal Mart selling these for ten dollars a pop, Hasbro is
probably only getting around five dollars per unit, wholesale. They had
to keep things as cheap as possible to make it profitable. So they had
to stick with sets that were already tooled up, and configured for
packaging. With such a low amount of money involved, any new work would
eat into the budget. They already had to make slight modifications to
the packaging (New text and graphics plus the addition of a sheet of
plastic to the uniform sets) so they were sort of forced to repurpose
old sets for this new line.

Also, you can tell they sort of made up for the extra cost of the
Frogman set by including the mountain troops set, which probably cost
half as much to manufacture. Future assortments of four sets will
probably include one really cool one, and one lame one.

We don't know how far along in production those other sets were. I agree
that it'd be great to see them, but these sets will have to sell out in
order for that to happen.

Your disappointment is understandable, but look at the costs. My guess
is that, if we get another wave, it could possibly include the Medic
Set, the MP, Scramble and Crash Crew, but that's just a guess, and they
may switch out a less elaborate set for a couple of those.

--
Later, Rudy

Visit POPCult at http://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

NON SPORT UPDATE http://www.nonsportupdate.com/

MASTERCOLLECTOR.COM http://www.mastercollector.com/

Rudy Panucci

Nov 13, 2008, 5:11:11 AM11/13/08
Gun Shy wrote:

> But I also thought, why did it take so long to finally get it right,
> and priced right?

The development costs have already been written off and accounted for in
a previous year. This means that these sets were way less expensive to
produce, and they didn't need higher sales to justify the R&D costs.

Think of it as "re-gifting."

Wal Mart came around asking for more ten-dollar Joes, maybe with a
little extra this time, and Hasbro looked around to see what could be
rushed into production with no added preparation.

> Why also I wondered, did it take till now to get back to the Razor
> Razorblade approach, letting me pick which figures I wanted with what
> accessory sets?

Because Wal Mart, who six years ago insisted that the razors and blades
approach would never work, changed their mind when offered the chance to
get these sets at such a low price. Had they done these sets like this
five years ago, the price would have been at least fifteen dollars each.
You gotta remember, Hasbro is in this to make money, and the design and
tooling costs on these sets is probably in the tens of thousands of
dollars, if not more. With under fifty-thousand units produced
(reportedly) Hasbro couldn't afford to salt this assortment with
anything new. One totally-new uniform set could wipe out their profits
for the entire line.

> Why also with a "combo" of the accessory set and figure, does it come
> up cheaper in total than any of the 40th sets, and when economic times
> are worse now than any time before?

Uh..because economic times are harder and Wal Mart wanted these at ten
dollars per unit. Plus the sets were already made. The sizable
development costs have already been paid for, accounted for, and written
off, so there were essentially no start-up costs for these. As much as
half the wholesale cost of the 40th sets went to pay for the design,
pattern creation, tooling, packaging design and other development costs.

It's the same reason that toy companies can release cheaper repainted
versions of action figures--using existing molds and tooling is a way to
cut costs.

> I also wondered why, did they choose to make 2 accessory sets that
> really almost every collector has had just about all they will ever
> want in their lives? A raft set and a very incomplete and totally non
> matching snow shoe set. Can't help but think these will be blown out
> bigtime soon, after all the Scuba and Marine sets are long gone. Seems
> like a flight helmet and other sets would have been real knock out
> choices, popular with collectors because of their value and function.

While I agree that the set selection is lacking, they probably stuck in
one or two sets that was way cheap to produce to make up for the sets
that are obviously more expensive to produce. Again, it's an accounting
move. If they hadn't stuck in the snow set, they may not have been able
to do the Frogman set. They can average out the production costs among
the four sets and make it look good on the books, when in truth their
margin on the Frogman set is probably razor-thin.

> If the Dress Marine set was a good choice, why not the AF Dress set
> too? If the COMPLETE Scuba set was a good choice, then why not the
> COMPLETE Ski Patrol? Compare the sets, and see that the AF Dress would
> have about the same item count as the Dress Marine, and the Ski Patrol
> would have about the same item count as the Scuba, hence they all
> could have fit into the same $10 price, and would all have been far
> less likely to face "dust collecting shelf sitting" and "deep discount
> bargain bin diving".

There's more than "item count" involved in the cost of the set. There's
the complexity of the sewing, the cost of the different-colored
material, and weight of the package to take into account. My guess is
that very few of the uniform sets make it to clearance, although if any
do, it'll be the snow set. I must have a dozen of those from the
Penney's blowout--when the whole figure/uniform set sold for ten bucks.

> You might rightly gather that most Retro Style Joe collectors would
> have had their fill with almost all of the repro Joes sets in the 40th
> series, with only a few real "holes" they would wish to still fill now
> that wasn't filled then. Even with the fixes in these new sets ( like
> the now fitting Marine shoes ), I didn't forget about Joe in just 5
> years, and most likely won't make a lot of repeat buys in most cases
> now, even with the much better prices, with the times as they are, and
> most others also won't buy a lot as they will have to budget for more
> than their own desires for this Christmas.

These are being aimed at a mainstream audience, not hardcore collectors.
Wal Mart sees this as a classy addition to their line of ten dollar
loss leader items that they plan to use to bring in shoppers who have
been hit with hard economic times. A lot of these figures will wind up
in the hands of kids, which is a good thing.

> It makes me smile to see it today, happy to pick up ONE set for me and
> one for another long time collector buddy, but I also walk away
> wondering why it took so long for Hasbro to get so little "right" now,
> and why they didn't just do that back in the 90's instead of the HOF
> attempts, and the other "not really close but kinda like it" series
> releases before and after that.

Here's why....money.

We have these sets in Wal Mart now because of the 40th line. We got the
40th line because of the Timeless Collection. The Timeless Collection
happened because John Michlig gave us the Masterpiece Edition and that
happened because of the 1994 GI Joe convention at the USS Intrepid.

It had to evolve that way. There was no way Hasbro was going to invest
the money into developing these sets without seeing proof that there was
a market for it. It took the Target Duke to convince them that there was
any market at all for 12" figures. It was frustrating for us collectors
since there were so many misfires, but if those misfires hadn't been
profitable, then we never would have seen the good stuff that did come out.

C.Martin

Nov 13, 2008, 8:21:05 AM11/13/08
I have a 45th question for you guys...

I take all my figures out of their boxes and stand them on the shelves. That
beign said, is there anyway to at a glance, tell the difference between the
40th and 45th Joes? I'm a completist in that I have a Joe from each run of
figures, just not ALL the Joes from each run. But really, if I buy a 45th
and put it next to the 40th Joe, will anyone be able to tell the difference?

C.

GYK...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2008, 10:30:09 AM11/13/08
Aloha fellow JOEheads,

I agree with all of you, but especially Rudy for putting things in
perspective as always.

After a brief hiatus, JOE in his original form is back (although we've
yet to see them on the shelves here in Hawaii)!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with those who'd wish we could have seen
something new. But as Rudy pointed out, look around folks. Mattel just
laid off a bunch of people and Wall Street and Main Street are in
chaos.

The only way we get those entirely new sets is to gobble up these guys
and show both Hasbro and Wal-Mart that there's a market for this stuff
and should give up some shelf space in the toy section to it rather
than something else.

So my advice to all of you: Even if you don't want them for yourself,
grab a bunch as Christmas gifts for all the kids! Hell, buy some and
give them to Toys for Tots!

Regards,
Gordon
(a Hawaii JOEhead)

> Visit POPCult athttp://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

Tanker

Nov 13, 2008, 2:06:56 PM11/13/08
Actually, one of the managers I talked to said Hasbro is getting about
3$ a unit because Walmart bought the rights to the manufacturing or
something of that nature. Thats why they have the "Only at Walmart"
stickers on them. remember your local TV station giving away that
great Monogram Bell Jet Ranger model with the stations decals in the
box? Same thing. He also said that other sets were in the works for
the AT guys with stuff that was out...I was lost with that because the
only sets I remember were the Meijer sets.

Dave

> Visit POPCult athttp://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

Rudy Panucci

Nov 13, 2008, 2:25:14 PM11/13/08
Tanker wrote:
> Actually, one of the managers I talked to said Hasbro is getting about
> 3$ a unit because Walmart bought the rights to the manufacturing or
> something of that nature. Thats why they have the "Only at Walmart"
> stickers on them. remember your local TV station giving away that
> great Monogram Bell Jet Ranger model with the stations decals in the
> box? Same thing. He also said that other sets were in the works for
> the AT guys with stuff that was out...I was lost with that because the
> only sets I remember were the Meijer sets.
>

> Dave

Ooh, I didn't know Wal Mart drove such a hard bargain. This is a
"direct ship" deal, where Wal Mart takes delivery in Hong Kong, and pays
for the shipping to the US. It's a pretty common practice with store
exclusives. Way back in the early 90s, Hasbro had a whole division--Kid
Dimensions--that did business that way. They handled some of the HOF
uniform sets.

If they do AT sets, the first ones will either be repurposed military
sets--like turning Scramble into Fantastic Freefall, or new sets that
reuse the parts from the AT TC sets like Undercover, Black Spider
Rendesvous, or Eight Ropes Of Danger. They could produce some swell sets
that way. Maybe take the fatigues from BSR and the accessories from
Secret Mission to Spy Island for an AT version.

Pure conjecture at this point, though.
--
Later, Rudy

Visit POPCult at http://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

Tanker

Nov 13, 2008, 2:43:47 PM11/13/08
I think what I find most interesting of the whole deal is that I have
found a manager that actually knows product and has given me answers
other than shoulder shrugs....I would really like to see something
though. Honestly, I don't care if i have these sets and they are
rehashes it just proves that they sell and this could be a continuing
trend.

Dave

> Visit POPCult athttp://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

Tanker

Nov 14, 2008, 9:21:42 AM11/14/08
Do you think Target or Kohls will pick up on this trend and try to
pull something out?

Dave

On Nov 13, 1:25 pm, Rudy Panucci <rudy...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Visit POPCult athttp://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

Rudy Panucci

Nov 14, 2008, 10:31:10 AM11/14/08
Tanker wrote:
> Do you think Target or Kohls will pick up on this trend and try to
> pull something out?

Target is unpredictable at the moment, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
And Kohl's and Goody's aren't making toys a priority this year. TRU is
a possibility next year, but I have a feeling that Wal Mart's deal
probably gives them a period of at least first refusal, if not strict
exclusivity. I don't know if any other retailer will give Hasbro a
large enough order and still be able to keep the price down to a
competitive level.

--
Later, Rudy

Visit POPCult at http://www.thegazz.com/gblogs/popcult

gidef...@aol.com

Nov 15, 2008, 9:17:54 AM11/15/08
Dave said: "I think what I find most interesting of the whole deal is

that I have
found a manager that actually knows product and has given me answers
other than shoulder shrugs....'

Only if he is right Dave, only if he is right. }:^)

Scott

PH and Proud

Bulletmann - Hyatta

ITFC - 69

gidef...@aol.com

Nov 15, 2008, 9:20:02 AM11/15/08
The Hawaii Joe head said:
"The only way we get those entirely new sets is to gobble up these
guys
and show both Hasbro and Wal-Mart that there's a market for this
stuff
and should give up some shelf space in the toy section to it rather
than something else."

Good point Gordon, and great to see you again!

Tanker

Nov 15, 2008, 11:35:46 AM11/15/08
Well, I do have a prayer out so hopefully it will come answered in an
AT package :)

Dave

GYK...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2008, 7:54:32 PM11/15/08
Aloha Scott and other fellow JOEheads,

Thanks Scott! And it's when there's new stuff to talk about LIKE the
45th sets that I sojourn back into the Sandbox!

So let's buy up that stuff and make sure they see there's enough
market for the AT stuff too!

Now, if only the 45th sets would actually start showing up here on
Oahu...

Regards,
Gordon
(a Hawaii JOEhead)

Mr. Scott

Nov 16, 2008, 10:46:56 AM11/16/08
Does anyone have contact information for the people in charge of the GI
Joe line at Hasbro? It would be good for them, if they are going to
provide collectible reproductions, to hear directly from those who do
the collecting. I have an old email for DDD but I think I heard a few
years ago he was put onto something else.

Gary Braswell

Nov 16, 2008, 2:06:15 PM11/16/08
Understandable.

I always want more Joes so I can fill out the unis I have laying around.
I also wanted more Marine Dress outfits.

I am happy they are coming out, I hope more do.

Steve York

Nov 17, 2008, 8:08:46 PM11/17/08
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:25:14 -0500, Rudy Panucci
<rud...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

>If they do AT sets, the first ones will either be repurposed military
>sets--like turning Scramble into Fantastic Freefall, or new sets that
>reuse the parts from the AT TC sets like Undercover, Black Spider
>Rendesvous, or Eight Ropes Of Danger. They could produce some swell sets
>that way. Maybe take the fatigues from BSR and the accessories from
>Secret Mission to Spy Island for an AT version.
>
>Pure conjecture at this point, though.

Or they could release a yellow Turbocopter. I'd be all over that one.

Steve York

Nov 17, 2008, 8:16:28 PM11/17/08
Hmmm. I've got an idea for a future run, to avoid glutting the market
with the same basic figures over and over. Why not issue a series
paintheads with Kung Fu Grip? The tooling exists, and Hot Topic
proved that "Kung Fu Grip" is a marketable brand. (It keeps popping
up in pop culture too. I heard a TV reference, somewhere, probably
"Chuck" in the last week or two.) And it might convince people to
grab one more figure that would otherwise be interchangable with all
the 40th and Timeless figurs already out there.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:46:56 -0600, mrsc...@webtv.net (Mr. Scott)

Carin

Nov 18, 2008, 2:26:24 AM11/18/08
Painted heads in updated unis would also be cool. Still the same basic
figure but with new camo patterns and updated box art.

"Steve York" <j-stev...@sff.net> wrote in message

Jackel

Nov 18, 2008, 10:28:27 AM11/18/08
On Nov 17, 5:16 pm, Steve York <j-steven-y...@sff.net> wrote:
> Hmmm.  I've got an idea for a future run, to avoid glutting the market
> with the same basic figures over and over.  Why not issue a series
> paintheads with Kung Fu Grip?  The tooling exists, and Hot Topic
> proved that "Kung Fu Grip" is a marketable brand.  (It keeps popping
> up in pop culture too.  I heard a TV reference, somewhere, probably
> "Chuck" in the last week or two.)  And it might convince people to
> grab one more figure that would otherwise be interchangable with all
> the 40th and Timeless figurs already out there.
>
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:46:56 -0600, mrscot...@webtv.net (Mr. Scott)

> wrote:
>

> >Does anyone have contact information for the people in charge of the GI
> >Joe line at Hasbro? It would be good for them, if they are going to
> >provide collectible reproductions, to hear directly from those who do
> >the collecting. I have an old email for DDD but I think I heard a few
> >years ago he was put onto something else.
>
> >Mr Scott
>
> >Mr Scott's Halfway Station:
> >http://community.webtv.net/mrscottmn/MrScottsHalfway
>
> >Trade Page:http://community.webtv.net/shbeal/TradePageWanted- Hide quoted text -

Painted heads with Kung Fu grip is my favorite combo. As a matter of
fact, I have a whole bunch of vintage hands in my parts box because I
switch them for Cots Kung Fu grip hands as fast as I can. (Vintage
purist insert your disgust here.)

I would love to see Hasbro and/or Walmart get creative with the line
and provide more offerings. The thing is, even as a kid in the late
sixties early seventies, I was frustrated with the carded sets, they
always seemed to have left an important piece of the set out! Then
when they transistioned to AT, I have to admit I did not like it at
first. I was hitting the toy isle searching for replacement helmets
and rifles for my guys that lost theirs in neighborhood battles, and
they just weren't available. I did then what I do now, I turn to the
knock offs!

Thank God for Cots and Adventure Gear! The fact is for the collector
that likes to set up his or her own "sets" times have never been
better!

Jackel, ITFC 00018

Sean

Nov 18, 2008, 3:25:59 PM11/18/08
to smerdo...@hotmail.com
Hey if you ever want to part with some of those hard hands let me
know!

Sean