Hey!

RM Mentock

Jul 25, 2002, 12:36:02 PM7/25/02
Unknown Poster wrote:

> Hi! nice newsgroup. any rules I should know before I start posting?
> is there an faq?
> Thanks!

Snuh

--
RM Mentock

C. K. Monet, c'est moi

Ayn_R_Keey

Jul 25, 2002, 10:28:13 PM7/25/02
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:36:02 GMT, RM Mentock,
AKA <men...@mindspring.com> wrote
in<news:3D4028F2...@mindspring.com)>

> Unknown Poster wrote:
>>
>> Hi! nice newsgroup. any rules I should know before I start
>> posting? is there an faq?
>> Thanks!
>
> Snuh

HUHS?

--
"God made integers,
all else is the work of man."

Leopold Kronecker
Jahresberichte der Deutschen Mathematiker Vereinigung, book 2

Ayn_R_Keey

Jul 25, 2002, 10:48:18 PM7/25/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:28:13 GMT, Ayn_R_Keey,
AKA <I...@freedumb.gov> wrote
in<news:Xns9256C63525CF...@64.12.185.225)>

> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:36:02 GMT, RM Mentock,
> AKA <men...@mindspring.com> wrote
> in<news:3D4028F2...@mindspring.com)>
>
>> Unknown Poster wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi! nice newsgroup. any rules I should know before I start
>>> posting? is there an faq?
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Snuh
>>

> HUHS?

HickPrime?

Jay Kendall

Jul 26, 2002, 12:35:02 AM7/26/02

"RM Mentock" <men...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Unknown Poster wrote:
> >
> > Hi! nice newsgroup. any rules I should know before I start posting?
> > is there an faq?
> > Thanks!

A faq of all the frequently avoided questions might be handy. But if no
questions are ever asked, then it would be infinitely long, so it would
never be ready for you to post. But you could overcome infinity by running
one frequently avoided question each day as a footer under your signature,
and then answering it in the body of your message the following day, unless
someone beats you to it, in which case there would be one less faq for you
to answer.
Jay

RM Mentock

Jul 26, 2002, 8:19:09 AM7/26/02
Jay Kendall wrote:

> A faq of all the frequently avoided questions might be handy.

That a question.

Ayn_R_Keey

Jul 26, 2002, 9:42:34 AM7/26/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:19:09 GMT, RM Mentock,
AKA <men...@mindspring.com> wrote
in<news:3D413E3D...@mindspring.com)>

> Jay Kendall wrote:
>
>> A faq of all the frequently avoided questions might be handy.
>
> That a question.

Hey, i thought you guys knew...
go to this url:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=Hi%21%20nice%20newsgroup&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&lr=&num=30&as_scoring=d&hl=en>

lots are saying hipcrime propagation
on these posts.

Jay Kendall

Jul 26, 2002, 10:58:49 AM7/26/02

"Ayn_R_Keey" <I...@freedumb.gov> wrote in message

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:19:09 GMT, RM Mentock,
>
> Hey, i thought you guys knew...
> go to this url:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=Hi%21%20nice%20newsgroup&safe=images
&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&lr=&num=30&as_scoring=d&hl=en>

> lots are saying hipcrime propagation
> on these posts.

I saw that faq question on another ng, not here. It's a little like the
stunt of offering your hand to shake to someone, and then pulling it away as
he reaches for it, making him feel like a fool. Or the mirth of kids, or
students, when they can get a predictable response out of an adult, or
teacher.

What's the hipcrime? Fishing for email addresses? I don't even "know" what
determines which messages are displayed or omitted when I bring up a ng in
my mail program. This ng seems to have been in a cryonics vat for over a
month, not even spam coming across. The "View" options don't seem to
control it. As far as I know, it may be something my news server, the
Machiavellian Comcast, is doing, or Window Washer cleaning up after me...
Who knows?
Jay

RM Mentock

Jul 26, 2002, 12:06:17 PM7/26/02
Ayn_R_Keey wrote:

> Hey, i thought you guys knew...

Did. But the faq is an issue, of course

alt.thinking.hurts very own webpage:
http://www.netjaunt.com/thinkinghurts/

and faq:
http://www.netjaunt.com/thinkinghurts/ouchFAQ.txt

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1) What is alt.thinking.hurts?

2) What *isn't* alt.thinking.hurts?

3) Where did alt.thinking.hurts come from?

4) What is thinking?

5) Why does thinking hurt?

6) When will thinking stop hurting?

7) What is this "SOCIETY of the SPECTACLE" stuff?

8) Is this FAQ for real?

Ayn_R_Keey

Jul 27, 2002, 1:01:06 AM7/27/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:58:49 GMT, Jay Kendall,
AKA <jkendall...@comcast.net> wrote
in<news:Jsd09.297201$Bt1.15...@bin5.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com)>

> "Ayn_R_Keey" <I...@freedumb.gov> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:19:09 GMT, RM Mentock,
>>
>> Hey, i thought you guys knew...
>> go to this url:
>> lots are saying hipcrime propagation
>> on these posts.
>>
> What's the hipcrime? Fishing for email addresses? I don't even
> "know" what determines which messages are displayed or omitted
> when I bring up a ng in my mail program. This ng seems to have
> been in a cryonics vat for over a month, not even spam coming
> across. The "View" options don't seem to control it. As far as
> I know, it may be something my news server, the Machiavellian
> Comcast, is doing, or Window Washer cleaning up after me... Who
> knows? Jay

Leeched from your posts headers:

Maybe OE 6.00.2600.000 or MS MimeOle - same ver.
is the problem
Try
<http://xnews.newsguy.com/>
for x-news reader. it is not too invasive;
just create an applicable folder and unzip into it, then run
executable.
I like it, but that is because i can make my own headers(see
headers),
and it is easy to hex, if i feel like being devious, but it is
another NG reader
that is easy to configure, free and has the
GNKSA 2.0 (Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval)
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/>

As to
your guess is probably better than mine...

As far as Giganews.Com goes,
i think they are pretty good at keeping up with USENET,
but they may of had outages in their servers.

Have you compared their eretention with GOOGLE's?
<http://groups.google.com/>
This NG is a good one to use since there aren't a lot of posts to
it
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&group=alt.thinking.hurts>

My NG service(compuserve) had a three day outage two weeks ago, and
there are holes in my NG cache that i have made up in the improtant
parts
of of google.

good luck...

--
For men are not equal:
thus speaks justice.

And what I want,
they are not permitted to want!

--Friedrich Nietzsche
--Zarathustra, in Thus Spoke Zarathustra,
--Second Part, On Scholars, (1883).

Ayn_R_Keey

Jul 27, 2002, 1:01:09 AM7/27/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:58:49 GMT, Jay Kendall,
AKA <jkendall...@comcast.net> wrote
in<news:Jsd09.297201$Bt1.15...@bin5.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com)>

> "Ayn_R_Keey" <I...@freedumb.gov> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:19:09 GMT, RM Mentock,
>>
>> Hey, i thought you guys knew... lots are saying

>> hipcrime propagation on these posts.
>
> I saw that faq question on another ng, not here. It's a little
> like the stunt of offering your hand to shake to someone, and
> then pulling it away as he reaches for it, making him feel like
> a fool. Or the mirth of kids, or students, when they can get a
> predictable response out of an adult, or teacher.
>
> What's the hipcrime? Fishing for email addresses? I don't even
> "know" what determines which messages are displayed or omitted
> when I bring up a ng in my mail program. This ng seems to have
> been in a cryonics vat for over a month, not even spam coming
> across. The "View" options don't seem to control it. As far as
> I know, it may be something my news server, the Machiavellian
> Comcast, is doing, or Window Washer cleaning up after me... Who
> knows? Jay

my usenet - history - knowledge is weak at best,
but it seems to me i first started see/hear-ing about
a poster named hipcrime in the early 90's.

then it had to do with a battle over the definition of SPAM, and
just what rights the vigilantes against SPAM had within the
anarchistic concept of USENET.

lately i have seen USENET lUsers' posts get cancelled
improperly by 'bots attributed to hipcrime.

i think the transgressions of hipcrime are greatly hyperbolized.

BTW,
the place of my current employ has a NNTP server(non-posting), for
possible DB additions, and it received the message in a LARGE
number of NGs, but my personal NG gate (CompuServe) seems to have
blocked them as i only see Re messages to them.

Compuserve was at one time was threatened with UDP,
and they cleaned up SPAM.
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/week/112197usenet.html>

The broad definition of SPAM, has at times in the past troubled
me, but i still view it as necessary flux, since i think too much
cross-posting hurts USENET, and threatens its existence with its
bandwidth theft. This would be a very unhipcrime, as there is hope
in the variation, and freedom within USENET.

======+++=======
Earliest refs to "hipcrime" on USENET seem to refer to a
fictional character named Chad C. Mulligan(sociologist)
and his Hipcrime Vocab
in John Brunner's STAND ON ZANZIBAR
Doubleday & Company, 1968
(Hugo Award winner for best SF novel, 1969)
I have not read the novel, but it is now on my ever-increasing
list of To-Reads.

==========
=examples=
==========

UNFAIR
Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY,
SNEAKY, UNDERHAND and JUST LUCKY I GUESS.

LOGIC
The principle governing human intellection. Its nature may be
deduced from examining the two following propositions, both of
which are held by human beings to be true and often by the same
people: 'I can't so you mustn't', and 'I can but you mustn't .'

PATRIOTISM
A great British writer once said that if he had to choose between
betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would
have the decency to betray his country.

Papa Hegel he say that all we learn from history is that we learn
nothing from history. I know people who can't even learn from what
happened this morning. Hegel must have been taking the long view.
-- Chad C. Mulligan, "The Hipcrime Vocab"

Ayn_R_Keey

Jul 27, 2002, 1:05:56 AM7/27/02
On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 05:01:06 GMT, Ayn_R_Keey,
AKA <I...@freedumb.gov> wrote
in<news:Xns9257E02239B1...@64.12.185.225)>

> I like it, but that is because i can make my own headers
> (see headers),

OOPS!
see these headers

Ayn_R_Keey

Jul 27, 2002, 1:12:05 AM7/27/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:06:17 GMT, RM Mentock,
AKA <men...@mindspring.com> wrote
in<news:3D417379...@mindspring.com)>

good,
didn't want you to think i was ChipRhyme???

--
In Re: nym origins:

“For the record, I shall repeat what I have said many times before:
I do not join or endorse any political group or movement.
More specifically, I disapprove of, disagree with
and have no connection with, the latest aberration
of some conservatives, the so-called ‘hippies of the right,’
who attempt to snare the younger or more careless ones
of my readers by claiming simultaneously to be followers
of my philosophy and advocates of anarchism.

Anyone offering such a combination confesses his inability
to understand either. Anarchism is the most irrational,
anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound,
context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe
of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs.”
--Ayn Rand - September 1971
“Brief Summary” - The Objectivist
As quoted From the Ayn Rand Institute's page:
<http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/Q5.html>
====================
i think it must be PINHEAD,
not fountainhead.

Jay Kendall

Jul 30, 2002, 3:50:42 AM7/30/02

"Ayn_R_Keey" wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:06:17 GMT:

> In Re: nym origins:
>
> "For the record, I shall repeat what I have said many times before:
> I do not join or endorse any political group or movement.
> More specifically, I disapprove of, disagree with
> and have no connection with, the latest aberration
> of some conservatives, the so-called 'hippies of the right,'
> who attempt to snare the younger or more careless ones
> of my readers by claiming simultaneously to be followers
> of my philosophy and advocates of anarchism.
>
> Anyone offering such a combination confesses his inability
> to understand either. Anarchism is the most irrational,
> anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound,
> context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe
> of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."
> --Ayn Rand - September 1971
> "Brief Summary" - The Objectivist
> As quoted From the Ayn Rand Institute's page:
> <http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/Q5.html>
> ====================
> i think it must be PINHEAD,
> not fountainhead.

I liked Ayn Rand's first, realistic novel, We the Living, apparently based
on her experiences growing up in the early Soviet Union. All of her
subsequent, propaganda novels seem to transpose this scenario and cast of
Russian peasant-like characters to the U.S., where they seem (to me) out of
place. t's only her story-telling skills that make them readable.

I read a science fiction novel that reminded me of this -- Beggar's in
Spain, by Nancy Kress. Some successful people, who think the time they
wasted in sleeping limited their success, have their children genetically
altered so that they don't need to (can't) sleep. An unexpected bonus is
that this sleeplessness causes a leap in their children's rational powers
and also makes them ageless. These children grow up to become successful,
and are envied for it. It's an Ayn Rand scenario, with sleeplessness the "c
capital" instead of gold.

The Sleepless' extra smarts are a finite advantage, not enough, by itself,
to overcome the prejudice against them, so they gravitate into an
aristocratic, elitist struggle for survival with the mob of Sleepers, whom
they call beggars, and who are as shiftless and ignorant as in Rand novels.
It's a stalemate, like the Robert Frost image of two roads, one less
traveled, but worn as much as the more traveled one, due to the greater
stature of those walking it. But is this struggle for survival, of the few
against the many, what "genius" is really about? The Sleepless' have an
initial advantage, but are using it much like anybody who inherits wealth,
namely to obtain, not different things, but more of the same. They are
effectively blocked from becoming more enlightened, and merely use their
one-time genetic leap as capital, in a dialectical struggle with the
collective.

But they continue genetic modifications of their own children, and develop a
generation of "Super" Sleepless. The Supers think in strings, which allows
them to see connections between distant things. For example:

Ayn Rand -- Aristotle -- Lincoln -- Sleepless genemod

capitalism -- golden mean -- freed slaves -- rationality

collective -- mediocrity -- forced re-Unification -- Sleeper's envy

dialectic -- ?

gold standard -- Confederacy -- aristocracy

(Then cross-connections would be found between items on the string, which I
think Kress sees as like genes on a DNA molecule, but moving freely, like
mutations. A comparison could also be made between the determinacy, in a
speech community, of natural language "strings", and that of DNA. Some
geniuses have trouble mastering languages, perhaps because they're too busy
creating their own strings to abide by any grammar.)

String thinking "effectively unites linear and associative modes of
thought," and is especially valuable for the Sleepless, since they can't
dream, which allows ordinary people to think freely, and see distant
connections, real or imagined. But unlike ordinary people, the Supers
(like Nietzsche's Superman?) can do "lucid dreaming" and make it their
"golden mean" to supersede themselves, not to bank on any static
characteristic, such as sleeplessness.

Of course this is a fanciful scenario. But it's not hard to apply it to
real life, in which dreaming, daydreaming, or other suspensions of willing,
allow us to supersede our apparent limitations. "Genius", apart from the
word's privileged meaning, is related to "gene", that is, an agent of change
(becoming). It operates from, and is inconceivable without, a certain base
(being) of mediocrity, or the golden mean. "Beggars are only certain gene
lines temporarily between communities."

Jay

RM Mentock

Jul 30, 2002, 9:51:12 PM7/30/02
Jay Kendall wrote:

> Of course this is a fanciful scenario. But it's not hard to apply it to
> real life, in which dreaming, daydreaming, or other suspensions of willing,
> allow us to supersede our apparent limitations. "Genius", apart from the
> word's privileged meaning, is related to "gene", that is, an agent of change
> (becoming). It operates from, and is inconceivable without, a certain base
> (being) of mediocrity, or the golden mean. "Beggars are only certain gene
> lines temporarily between communities."

There is a considerable movement by folks in the dyslexic camp
to assert the *advantages* of dyslexia, and even to insist that
all geniuses must have been dyslexic.

Ayn_R_Keey

Aug 4, 2002, 2:36:06 AM8/4/02
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:51:12 GMT, RM Mentock,
AKA <men...@mindspring.com> wrote
in<news:3D474290...@mindspring.com)>

> There is a considerable movement by folks in the dyslexic camp
> to assert the *advantages* of dyslexia, and even to insist that
> all geniuses must have been dyslexic.

Where is this Camp Dyslexic?
It suonds like lot a fun.

One of my sisters is/was slightly dyslexic.
It was not as recognised when we were young,
and she was often thought by her teachers to be a little dumb.

She worked hard through it,
and became a excellent grade-school teacher.

Whereas i, who many teachers considered 'smart',
struggle to teach someone anything.

I respect this sister greatly.

--
Denali is dyslexic for denial
If you bought a 'Luxury SUV,

Ayn_R_Keey

Aug 4, 2002, 4:00:54 AM8/4/02
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:50:42 GMT, Jay Kendall,
AKA <jkendall...@comcast.net> wrote
in<news:mzr19.359547$iB1.18...@bin4.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com)>

> "Ayn_R_Keey" wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:06:17 GMT:
>

>> "For the record...

>> I disapprove of, disagree with
>> and have no connection with, the latest aberration
>> of some conservatives, the so-called 'hippies of the right,'
>> who attempt to snare the younger or more careless ones
>> of my readers by claiming simultaneously to be followers
>> of my philosophy and advocates of anarchism.
>>

>> --Ayn Rand - September 1971
>> "Brief Summary" - The Objectivist
>> As quoted From the Ayn Rand Institute's page:
>> <http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/Q5.html>
>> ====================
>> i think it must be PINHEAD,
>> not fountainhead.
>>

> I liked Ayn Rand's first, realistic novel, We the Living,
> apparently based on her experiences growing up in the early
> Soviet Union. All of her subsequent, propaganda novels seem to
> transpose this scenario and cast of Russian peasant-like
> characters to the U.S., where they seem (to me) out of place.
> t's only her story-telling skills that make them readable.
>

> Jay

i was 13 when i first read Rand. Thinking about it now makes me
realise just how cool my parents are to allow it, although since
they were involved politically with B. Goldwater's exercise in
futility at the time, they had several copies of her books around,
and if they had tried to prohibit it, i likely would have taken
one of each, and read it by flashlight in bed.

i stiil enjoy the fountainhead movie though, great cinematography
in grayscale. Some of the shadows projected with lighting still
fascininate and kinda trouble me.

But Ayn would have sucked big time as a date!

i like the thought as strings conceptualisation.
> dialectic -- ?
dialectic->-bipolar->-delimiter->-generalisation
/
This^still infers two-dimensionality,
so the DNA reference is a better model

>mutation-->->
/
double_helix->-cut_n_paste->-duplication--d_h->c_n_p->duplicate
\ <--
>permutations--\
\ \ -->
\ -->
-->

Starts to look like a flow chart in ASCII,
but along timelines and different potentialities
(inherent latencies which possess
the capabilities of a possibility to being),
it begins to have the flavor of quantum_dimensionality.

--
"I consider promiscuity immoral.
Not because sex is evil,

==Ayn Rand