New Year's Luck Customs

Fred Burke

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Jennifer B. Jakiel (jak...@crl.com) wrote:
: kiman...@pipeline.com wrote:
: : I'm from western NC and we always had blackeyed peas, greens and
: : cornbread. All I remember about the symbolism is the obvious: greens
: : for wealth. Maybe I'll call home this evening and find out.

: Here in the Deep South of middle Georgia, I was taught that the beans
: stood for pennies, the greens for dollars, and the cornbread for gold.

No greens in Austin, Texas, but yummy jalapeno cornbread and blackeyed
peas were served up for happy hour on Jan. 1 at my favourite gay bar.

That wasn't as weird as the free champagne toast, dropping of orange and
white balloons, and the Longhorn fight song at midnight -- all in the
aforementioned gay bar.

Surreal.

Fred Burke
--