Sexy Tennis Story, part IV.

1 view

horatio...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
11. INT. ROOM - DAY
SABINE, with her four customers, in a small, dusty room, with the support
beams visible against the walls. It is in reality little more than a wall
cavity. A large video camera is positioned so it's lens is abutting one of the
walls.

SABINE: (putting the video tape in the camera with one hand while working the
cork out of a champagne bottle with the other) Sorry for the delay, gents, I
won't be long.
TONY: Do you think we should perhaps find another girl, one who is not
so....busy?
SABINE: No, they would all busy at this time of day. Oh, except perhaps for
Arantxa, she seemed unnoccupied when we walked through the lounge.
ALL: (loudly) No, no! We'll wait for you!!

Sabine finally gets the cork to pop out. It hits Tony in the eye. SABINE:
(adjusting the camera while holding the bottle with the other hand) Oh! I'm
so sorry Tony, would you like me to go and get you an ice pack to put on your
eye? TONY: No, just finish what you are doing please! SABINE: (still fiddling
with the camera) OK, then all hand me your glasses and I'll pour you some
champagne while I get this camera working.

She pours the drinks while continuing to work on the camera. There is a
knock on the door.

SABINE: Who is it?

The door opens, revealing Asa with her customer.

ASA: Hello Sabine. SABINE: Asa, what is it sweetheart? ASA: Chrissie asked me
to look after this man, but I forgot where I am supposed to take them. Is
this the right place? SABINE: No honey, take them to your room...

Asa looks totally blank.

SABINE: ...you know, where you sleep.

Still blank.

SABINE: (with a heavy sigh) OK, give him to me, I'll take him for you.

The man enters the room as Asa wanders off aimlessly.

SABINE: (absently, as she returns to adjusting the camera) Sir, please make
yourself comfortable, I’ll be with you shortly... MAN: (uncomfortable) Er...
all right. (looks around, trying to sound bright) So, ready for a bonk?

A pause.

TONY: (tone kind, advising) It’s best not to talk.
SABINE: (still absently, not paying much attention to anything except for the
camera). Could one of you hand me the tape on table?

In a corner, there is a table with three or four tapes scattered on it.
TONY picks one up and hands it to Sabine. In the crack of light from the
other room we can clearly see the label on the tape: 'The Happy Little
Elves.'

SABINE: (accepts the tape without looking at it, as an eye is glued on the
lens) Thank you. (puts the tape in) There. (straightening) Won’t be long now.

Shot of the ‘Laughing Cavalier.’ Iris of the camera visibly opens, and
focuses. We hear voices in the background.

ANNA: Is that ALL there is?

We hear a mumble from Fred.

ANNA: Oh, all right, it will have to do I suppose. Put it in.

Cut back to a shot of Sabine and her clients. Sabine, with an eye squinting
into the camera, waves the champagne bottle around.

SABINE: Anyone for more champers?

There is another knock on the door.

MARTINA: (calling out) Sabine?
SABINE: (opening the door and going outside before MARTINA can see what is
going on inside) Yes, sweetheart?

MARTINA gestures to a man standing beside her.

MARTINA: Mama sent me to ask you if you could look after this man. If you’re
not too busy. SABINE: Ok princess, tell your mother I’m right on top of it.
MARTINA: (flashes a grin) Thanks Sabine.

As Sabine and her new client disappears inside the room, Martina skips off,
down the stairs and out the door. She picks up a ball she has left on the
porch, and starts to play with it, throwing it up and catching it, and quite
frequently missing. In the distance we see Julian, dressed in matador gear,
walking along the footpath towards brothel.

MARTINA: (seeing Julian approach, rushes to greet him) Julian! JULIAN:
(desperately looking for somewhere to hide, but seeing it is too late) Oh
hell...........hell .......hello, Oh, hello Martina. MARTINA: (excited,
breathless) How are you? Where have you been? What have you been doing?
JULIAN: (uncomfortable, trying to push past her as he approaches the front
door) I've been to work. MARTINA: Wow, how exciting! Could you take me there
one day? JULIAN: Er....no, I couldn't do that. MARTINA: (disappointed) Why?
JULIAN: Well.......um.......it's too dangerous, they don't let children
there. MARTINA: (clearly hurt, defiant) I'm not a child! I'll be 18 in a
couple of months! JULIAN: Well, you still can't come. MARTINA: (fighting back
tears) Why? I'll be good, I promise! JULIAN: (as they reach the front door)
Look, I can't talk about it now, I have to get inside and
..........and............have a bath. MARTINA: OK. (brightening) Would you
like to borrow my rubber duckie? It goes 'squeak' when you squeeze it!
JULIAN: Maybe some other time. MARTINA: But Julian...

Julian slams the door, however, Martina is not discouraged, and yanks it
open again. There is no sign of Julian.

MARTINA: Julian, Julian, where are you?!

She starts a search, looking under rugs, behind vases and inside trunks.
Martina gradually makes her way to Chrissie’s office, where we can see Julian
hiding under the table, holding his breath. Martina continues to search along
the shelves.

MARTINA: (to herself) I wonder where he can be.

Just then, her attention is diverted by a tape on Chrissies’ desk. ‘The
Happy Little Elves.’

MARTINA: Hey! What’s my Happy Little Elves tape doing down here?!

She picks it up, and walks out with it. Julian breathes a sigh of relief.

12. INT. ROOM - DAY

Lounge area of the brothel. A makeshift stage has been set up at one end,
with a couple of large speakers standing at either end. Assorted cables,
microphone stands, a drum kit, etc are strewn about. Tash, with her electric
guitar, is standing in front of a microphone at the front centre of the stage.

TASH: (speaking into microphone) Test, test, one two three... (sound from
speakers is low and distorted) Sabine, it's still not right. SABINE: (with
her six customers to one side, is playing with a large sound mixer at the
back of the room) Hang on a moment Tash, I'm having a problem balancing it
with the guitar.

Martina enters the room, and seeing the concert preparations, she becomes
highly excited, hers eyes wide open, rushes up to the stage.

MARTINA: (bursting with excitement as her eyes take in all the cables,
equipment, etc) Tash, Tash, can I have a go on the drums?! TASH: OK Martina,
but try not to make too much noise, there's a good girl? MARTINA: OK! Thanks
Tash. (runs on stage and picks up drumsticks and sits on seat among drums)
SABINE: Try it again, Tash. TASH: OK, one, two, tes........ MARTINA: (belting
the drums and cymbals in a frenzied and uncoordinated manner, and shouting)
Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb... SABINE: I can't hear you.
TASH: (cupping hand to ear, straining to hear Sabine) What? (Martina
continues to belt and bellow) SABINE: (raising voice) I said I couldn't hear
you. TASH: (shouting) What? (turning to Martina) Martina. MARTINA (finally
getting her attention) Could you please stop that, dear? Your making too much
noise and I can't hear what Sabine is saying to me. MARTINA: (who has become
quickly bored with the drums) OK. (gets down and quickly skips off, singing,
off key, to herself.) Mary had a little lamb... TASH: One two three, one two
three. That's good, Sabine. Now we'll try the axe. (plays a chord, and the
feedback is terrible. Shouted complaints are heard from unseen faggots)

MARK: Oh, what a horrible squealing noise!
TODD: Yes, it can't hurt that much! (laughter)
PAT: Yes, find something to bite on and take it like a man! (more laughter)
TASH: Yeah yeah, very funny boys. Sabine! Come on!
SABINE: I'm working on it.

Mandy walks over to Sabine.

MANDY: Hey Sabine, I was wondering if while you are helping set up for
tonight you could set up my keyboard while you are at it? It'll only take a
minute, and I'm flat out at the bar at the moment. SABINE: (looks across at
the bar and sees it deserted, except for one drunk faggot, balancing
precariously on the edge of a bar stool) Well... I’m a little... (sighs)
yeah, sure thing Mandy. MANDY: Thanks Sabine, I owe you one. (turns and heads
off) TASH: Should I give it another go, Sabine? SABINE: (watching Mandy walk
over and leisurely chat with the faggots): Yeah, I guess so. TASH: (plays
with no feedback) Thanks Sabine, I owe you one.

Sabine begins to move off with her retinue of customers, but is stopped by
the Woodies.

TODD: Sabine sweetie, you said you'd help us put up the decorations for
tonight's concert. MARK: Yes, we made these lovely streamers. (runs around in
a small circle waving streamers above his head) Weeeee! SABINE: (resigned,
with a sigh) Yes, I did, didn't I. OK, let's get to work.

13. EXT. BROTHEL - DAY

MARTINA, sitting on the steps of the porch and waiting impatiently,
frequently glancing up and down the street. Soon, MIRJANA LUCIC (16) is seen
coming up the street.

MARTINA: (jumping up and down) Mirjana, hi-hi! MIRJANA: Hi-hi! MARTINA: Did
your mama say that you could stay the night? There’s going to be a concert on
and everything! MIRJANA: Really?! Cool! MARTINA: Well, did she say yes?
MIRJANA: She said I could stay, if I go to bed at my bedtime. MARTINA: At
7:30? MIRJANA: Yep. MARTINA: (pouting) My bedtime’s at 6:30. It gets noisy
after that. Mama says that everyone’s doing their exercises, and I mustn’t be
in the way. I always hear a lot of moaning when I’m in bed. MIRJANA: (looking
around the front of the brothel) Do you really live here? (reads the sign at
the front) ‘May-son Close Dee Chrissie.’ What does that mean? MARTINA: No one
would tell me but I think it means breadshop in French. MIRJANA: (admiring)
Wow, you know French. MARTINA: (proudly) Yes, I’m so smart.

They walk inside the brothel, still chattering. Chrissie walks out of her
office.

MARTINA: Mama! Mama! Mirjana’s mama said she could stay the night.
CHRISSIE: Hello Mirjana dear, I’m so glad you can come keep Martina company
during her holidays.
MIRJANA: Thank you for letting me stay in your breadshop, Mrs Evert.
MARTINA: (to MIRJANA) Do you want to play dress-up?
MIRJANA: Sure!

They run up the stairs and to MARTINA’s room, all pink and white ruffles
and glitter, rainbows and stuffed toys strewn around. MARTINA begins to pull
clothes out of a trunk.

MARTINA: Let’s play ‘Lovely Ladies!’ I’m the lovely lady, Mrs
Worthington-Smythe. MIRJANA: Okay! Who can I be? MARTINA: Hmm... let me
see... (sorts through the clothes with a serious expression until she pulls
out a pair of fake ears and a stick on tail) You can be my dog, Barf.
MIRJANA: No fair! I don’t want to be your dog! MARTINA: (stamping her foot)
This is my house and my clothes, you’re meant to do what I say! MIRJANA:
(sighing) Okay... (puts on the ears and sticks on the tail) MARTINA: (wearing
an oversized hat, high heels and a dress that drags along the floor behind
her) Now I’m having afternoon tea and you sit by me at my feet... (becomes
angry when MIRJANA still stands there) You’re meant to be my dog! MIRJANA:
(getting down on all fours) Woof. MARTINA: (sips from an imaginary teacup)
I’m having some very lovely cucumber and water crest sandwiches. Would you
like my leftovers?

MIRJANA quickly becomes bored with playing the dog, and stands up, going
over to the television and VCR. ‘The Happy Little Elves’ is prominent amongst
the videos stacked there.

MIRJANA: I didn’t know you had ‘The Happy Little Elves’ on video! Let’s watch
it!
MARTINA: (attention span dissipating) Okay!

She gets out of her dress up clothes and goes over the start the video
recorder. MARTINA and MIRJANA settle down on the rug before the television.
The gay and cheery theme song for ‘The Happy Little Elves’ starts up and they
watch happily for a few minutes, until the soundtrack is rudely interrupted.
The voices of ANNA and STOLLE can be heard instead.

MARTINA: What are Anna and Mr. Stolle doing in The Happy Little Elves?
MIRJANA: This isn't the Happy Little Elves!
MARTINA: Is that thing standing up in Mr. Stolle's lap a Happy Little Elf?
MIRJANA: It might be, but it's a funny looking one.
MARTINA: (shocked) OH NO! Why did Anna do that to it? (Mirjana gasps) Get him
out of there, he'll suffocate!!
MIRJANA: Oh, he's trying to get out, look, he's pushing Anna up so he can get
out, but she's too heavy and she keeps going back down again.
MARTINA: Yes, the poor Little Elf, he'll be crushed like that!

They watch for a while, transfixed.

MARTINA: Oh look, he's out now, good for him. Yay!
MIRJANA: He looks a bit funny though, doesn't he.
MARTINA: Yes, he's all bent over and can't seem to stand up anymore. It looks
like his back is broken after what Anna did to him.

They watch for a very long while, in silence.

MARTINA: Look, he’s getting back up again. He must be all right now. MIRJANA:
Why’s Anna trying to eat him?! MARTINA: Oh! And he keeps trying to get out!
But it’s all right, look, she’s not swallowing.

A few seconds elaspes.

MIRJANA: What’s all that white stuff coming out of his head?
MARTINA: NO! She must have hurt him! That must be Elf blood!
MIRJANA: Look, he’s shrivelling up again! He must be dead!

The video flickers to a close and the screen goes dark.

MARTINA: (in tears) How could Anna kill a Happy Little Elf?!!
MIRJANA: (uncertain, not sure of what she’s seen) Well... it’s only on
television Martina, he might not really dead, he’s only acting.
MARTINA: You really think so?
MIRJANA: (decisive) Everyone always says that you can’t believe everything you
see on TV.
MARTINA: (brightening) You’re right. Let’s go get a drink.

As they disappear chattering down the stairs, a shadowy figure dressed in
black, ducks into Martina’s bedroom. With a movement of the curtain on the
window, he disappears again, but the tape is clearly no longer in the video
recorder.

If you have missed any of the previous installments, the story to date can be
found at http://www.alphalink.com.au/~benatar/screenplay.htm