Texas and Executions!

Kerro

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Dale R Worley wrote:

> Two topics which naturally go together. Apparently Texas tied its
> 1935 record (19) for executions-per-year with a doubleheader yesterday,
> and still has six months to go -- with at least 11 slated for this
> month alone!

Just out of (academic) interest; what method do you use in Texas?

I've never seen an execution, but if I did, I think I'd like to watch the
ye olde Electric Chair in action. Sounds like a buzz.
(Yes, I know - feeble pun - we can't all be clever).

Kerro.
http://www.darkstar.com.au/~kerro

Gary Hine

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

On Mon, 09 Jun 1997 07:43:18 -0700, Kerro <ke...@darkstar.com.au> wrote:

>Dale R Worley wrote:
>>
>> Two topics which naturally go together. Apparently Texas tied its
>> 1935 record (19) for executions-per-year with a doubleheader yesterday,
>> and still has six months to go -- with at least 11 slated for this
>> month alone!
>>

>Just out of (academic) interest; what method do you use in Texas?

Lethal injection since executions were resumed several years ago.

>I've never seen an execution, but if I did, I think I'd like to watch the
>ye olde Electric Chair in action. Sounds like a buzz.
>(Yes, I know - feeble pun - we can't all be clever).

We used to have Old Sparky. I believe we were one
of, if not the first, states to adopt and use L.I.

The old chair protocol reads kind of like a microwave recipe :
(numbers approximate, in volts DC)

1 minute at 1400
2 minutes at 200
1 minute at 1400

A very recent development in Texas executions has been
allowing the victims families to witness them. Two local fuckers
have been offed in the last couple months. One, while making
his final statement professing his innocence kept being interrupted
by the victim's brother telling him "Just shut up and die!", which, of
course, he eventually did.

The victim's families are complaining that the murderers don't
suffer enough. I suppose the chair would be more satisfying in
that regard, but for pure terror and distress on the part of the
condemned you can't beat a gas chamber. Cyanide poisoning
is supposed to be a _nasty_ way to go.

>Kerro.
>http://www.darkstar.com.au/~kerro

Bijou

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Kerro wrote:

> Just out of (academic) interest; what method do you use in Texas?

Its been awhile since I left TX. If I remember correctly though, they
put the person in a room with a knife. A recording of Wes Payne pointing
out the person's faults is piped into the room. The person usually
commits suicide in 10 or 15 minutes.

Bijou

Bill Bone

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

In article <339c56fa...@news.internetMCI.com>

kpd...@internetMCI.com (Gary Hine) writes:
>On Mon, 09 Jun 1997 07:43:18 -0700, Kerro <ke...@darkstar.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Dale R Worley wrote:
>>> Two topics which naturally go together. Apparently Texas tied its
>>> 1935 record (19) for executions-per-year with a doubleheader yesterday,
>>> and still has six months to go -- with at least 11 slated for this
>>> month alone!
>>Just out of (academic) interest; what method do you use in Texas?
>>
>Lethal injection since executions were resumed several years ago.
>>Kerro.
>>http://www.darkstar.com.au/~kerro

When they perform lethal injection, do they wipe the guy's arm with
alcohol before they stick the needle in?

If so, Why?

Bill

Jeffrey D. Angus

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

WMBO...@ukcc.uky.edu (Bill Bone) writes:

>When they perform lethal injection, do they wipe the guy's arm with
>alcohol before they stick the needle in?

yes

>If so, Why?

So they don't the needle dirty. I mean, others have to handle it.
Feltch.

--
Amateur: WA6FWI@WA6FWI.#SOCA.CA.USA.NA | "It is difficult to imagine our
Internet: jan...@skyld.grendel.com | universe run by a single omni-

Tom Schwerdt

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

* wrote:

> Behringer was condemned for the slayings of 22-year-old Daniel B.
> Meyer Jr. and his 21-year-old fiancee Janet Louise Hancock. Meyer was a
> student at Texas A&M University and Hancock attended the University of
> Texas at Arlington.

Shit, this is almost stupid enough to warrant a Darwin award. Killing
_both_ an Aggie and a TUer in Texas. Any jury in the state would vote
for the needle for that one. (Really. If you haven't been here, you
just don't know how loyal these people are to their schools, and the
TU/Aggie rivalry is the biggest one in Texas)

-TtM

Conradin

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

Bill Bone <WMBO...@ukcc.uky.edu> wrote:
> When they perform lethal injection, do they wipe the guy's arm with
> alcohol before they stick the needle in? If so, Why?

This was the basis of a Straight Dope column a few years ago. Alcohol
dilates blood vessels and makes it easier to find the chosen vein of the
evening. This is also why alkies have flushed faces and/or roadmaps of
broken capillaries in and around the nose ("toper's nose").

The worst case of the latter I have ever seen belonged to an Institute
head at the U.S. National Institutes of Health; we're talking bulging
purple venosities all over the schnozz. Yeeesh... pass the vodka.

Getting back to the subject, they should call the PPV show "Texecution!"

--------
Conradin ----------
impe...@netcom.com