Some Tarot Card Reading Comments & Questions

Emily

May 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/19/96

I'd like some points of view on a few aspects of reading tarot cards. These questions
are open to anybody who would care to take the time to answer. =) hee.

I bought my first box of tarot cards at least five years ago, and it came with a book
that describes in-depth what all the cards mean.

I have done quite a few readings for friends and family, and I noticed (partially
because of other people's comments, hehe) that the readings come out very accurate.
Which is all fine and dandy I guess, but I have never memorized what exactly the cards
mean (though I sometimes remember vaguely the meaning of a few cards just by exposure to
them), so after I spread the cards out, I just read the meanings directly out of the
book.

One of my questions is ... what (in your respective opinions) makes the readings more
accuate? As an aside to this topic, I noticed that readings done on myself don't come
out as accurate sometimes. I have heard other people say the same thing .. any comments
or opinions on why this may be?

Another question is, is it "wrong", or somehow a negative thing, for me to read from the
book?

Should I memorize the meanings of the cards?

And a more in-depth and personal question on tarot reading: When you do readings, and
you already know the meanings of the cards, are you able to personalize the reading by
mere association (which cards are nearby to the others, and so forth), or is the tarot
reading associated with a special ability to know things about strangers?

=) Thanks for your input, I need all the help I can get. Hehe.

kk...@pipeline.com

May 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/19/96

In article <319ED3...@mail.idt.net>, Emily writes:

>One of my questions is ... what (in your respective opinions) makes the
readings more
>accuate?

I believe (and I may get really blasted for this) is that all readings are
as accurate as they are "supposed" to be. That is, when we engage in the
act of reading the cards, we are trying to access information about the
forces of destiny that impact (or, alternatively, the unconscious drives
that impell) the lives of the querent. This information will be as readily
available for access as the querent is prepared for and in need of having.
Readings are a technique by which either these exterior forces (destiny) or
interior drives are brought to the level of conscious recognition so that
the querent will have the ability to make choices. Sometimes we are meant
to become more conscious of our choices and have greater control over the
outcomes of those choices and sometimes we are not. My experience has been
that the readings reveal that which we were meant to/able to become
conscious of. Not all experiences in life are *best* experienced from a
foreknown perspective.

>As an aside to this topic, I noticed that readings done on myself don't
come
>out as accurate sometimes. I have heard other people say the same thing
. any comments
>or opinions on why this may be?

I noticed this was true for me as well until I began to record the
readings. What I realized is that I let my own prejudices/wishes/defenses
interfere with readings about myself. (a phenomena very similar to Frued's
comment that we are unable to interpret our own dreams because we have
defenses against recognizing that which we are consciously rejecting)
However, when I would go back to the readings after a period of time, I
began to realize that the information was there in the cards all along, I
was merely unable to "see" it at the time. Noticing how I "blinded" myself
over a period of time revealed some very interesting patterns of defense
and I was eventually able to resist in engaging in them in readings for
myself. Since then, the readings have become more accurate in the sense
that I have been able to more objectively see what was there in the first
place.

>Another question is, is it "wrong", or somehow a negative thing, for me to
read from the
>book?

If that is what you need to do to get yourself beginning to do
readings...well, that is the first step. Hopefully, the time will come
when you will no longer need to do that. I have found that one learns the
tarot through several techniques 1) read many books and commentaries on
the cards 2) practice using them in divination 3) utilize them for
meditative ( or pathwork) purposes and 4) study the tarot as a book within
itself...examine the relationship of the cards to one another, become
familiar with the inherent structure of the deck, discover the unfolding
journey represented by the sequence of the cards, note
similarities/differences/dualities between the cards, etc.,

>Should I memorize the meanings of the cards?

Become familiar with the intended and generic meanings of the cards.
Become familiar with the specific meanings of the cards within the deck
that you are using. Then begin to develop your own associations to the
cards. Let them reveal to you, through the use of and meditation on, their
particular meanings for you. Be prepared, however, for this to be an
unending process in which the understanding of the cards is something that
is never *completely* obtained. The tarot offers us the possibility of
infinite learning and growth.

>And a more in-depth and personal question on tarot reading: When you do
readings, and
>you already know the meanings of the cards, are you able to personalize
the reading by
>mere association (which cards are nearby to the others, and so forth)

Absolutely!

> or is the tarot
>reading associated with a special ability to know things about strangers?

Psychic ability can certainly facilitate the process of doing tarot
readings for others. Similarly, doing tarot readings for others
facilitates the psychic abilities. There are those who would say that
psychic ability is not required for successful readings. I would say that
we are *all* *always* using our psychic abilities...it is just that we do
not always let this level of awareness enter into our conscious
mind/experience. The use of the tarot can operate as a bridge between that
already existant psychic knowing and the conscious apprehension of that
information. In particular, it is often the very fact that the cards are
symbolic (visual rather than verbal) that allows the reader to make use of
them as a bridge between the known and the unknown.

Message has been deleted

Sphe...@aol.com

May 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/19/96

> Emily <ra...@mail.idt.net> writes:

> One of my questions is ... what (in your respective opinions) makes the readings more

> accuate? As an aside to this topic, I noticed that readings done on myself don't come
> out as accurate sometimes. I have heard other people say the same thing .. any comments

> or opinions on why this may be?

I think the reason it always seems that we do a better job of reading
for others than for ourselves stems from the fact we crystallize the
reading for others. In this I mean the reading itself and your part
in it comes to an end when the reading is finished . When we read for
ourselves we carry the reading with us and are always second guessing
it, saying maybe it meant this instead of that, this process diffuses our initial
impressions. Every time a new aspect arises in the situation we read for
we say, I missed that. This is dealing with specifics when often the
spreads we used are designed to give us more of an overview of
the situation.

I have found the easiest method of getting around this to be
to design your own spread and make the positions in that
spread very specific. Ask the questions you really want
answers to and lay three cards for each specific
question and interpet them that way. If you try this
method you may find that you like it a whole lot better
for reading for yourself than trying to match up the
many details you already know about the situation to
a spread like the Celtic Cross. When the situation
unfolds you won't be in the position of trying to
'rework' your entire interpetation of the Celtic Cross
to fit the circumstances, you can go back to the
specific question concerning that aspect and you
will come a lot closer to truly seeing how well
your card interpetations are coming along.

Though you may well find that this is a better
method of reading for yourself you will find that it is
a pretty poor method of reading for others. In that case
we need the rather broad range that a spread like the
Celtic Cross can cover because we are trying to get a
handle on their entire situation and not just some single
aspect of it.

Recording your readings is always a good
idea even if you are like me and can carry
different layouts around in your head for
a long time without forgetting the card
positions. What I find I do forget is the
way I originally interpeted the reading.

Have fun experimenting !

Graham

George Leake

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

In article <4nndh5$e...@news2.h1.usa.pipeline.com>, kk...@pipeline.com wrote:
>I believe (and I may get really blasted for this) is that all readings are
>as accurate as they are "supposed" to be.

*no, I think on the whole you are absolutely right.

That is, when we engage in the
> act of reading the cards, we are trying to access information about the
> forces of destiny that impact (or, alternatively, the unconscious drives
> that impell) the lives of the querent.

*that's one way of looking at it. Some people look at the stars or tarot
as future influences or possibilities in the cards, but that one's strong
or free will can still change or mold future events.

>>As an aside to this topic, I noticed that readings done on myself don't
come out as accurate sometimes. I have heard other people say the same

thing any comments or opinions on why this may be?

>I noticed this was true for me as well until I began to record the
readings. What I realized is that I let my own prejudices/wishes/defenses
interfere with readings about myself.

*yes, this is commonly warned against. If you have no other option though,
go for it...just realize that your result could be one of wishful
thinking.

>>Another question is, is it "wrong", or somehow a negative thing, for me
to read from the book?

>If that is what you need to do to get yourself beginning to do
readings...well, that is the first step. Hopefully, the time will come
when you will no longer need to do that.

*kkwitter is entirely right...there are many perspectives on this type of
thing...I would counsel do what feels right and if at first you want to
use the book or books then go for it. Some decks have more books on them
than others. There are even decks which layer systems such as astrological
ones on them for people to employ also. Most people advise not just rote
memorization of the cards and their aspects, but that one should meditate
on them and fully process them into one's psyche (or whatever you call
it...)

>>or is the tarot reading associated with a special ability to know things
about strangers?

>Psychic ability can certainly facilitate the process of doing tarot
>readings for others. Similarly, doing tarot readings for others

>facilitates the psychic abilities.[edited for brevity]
*I would add that one's intent is key with this kind of thing. Personally
I shudder that people only read tarot for other people because of the
motive for personal gain. I think to foster growth and understanding is a
better motive. To get the ability to see into the future or to know things
about strangers...hmm...I wonder why would someone want that kind of power
in the first place, something I can only ascertain about myself.

--
George Leake 512-471-9117 tali...@mail.utexas.edu
"The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine."-George Washington

Mary K. Greer

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96
to Emily

Emily wrote:

> I have done quite a few readings for friends and family, and I noticed (partially
> because of other people's comments, hehe) that the readings come out very accurate.
> <snip>

> One of my questions is ... what (in your respective opinions) makes the readings more
> accuate?

I think if we had an absolute answer to that one we'd be an greatly
honored science. Personally I'm interested in what makes them more
meaningful. If you just want accuracy then watch body language. You can
read as much or more from the querent as you can from the cards. Also,
the closer to the present, the more likely you are to be accurate. If we
can change our actions, attitudes and future then the farther into the
future we project the less likely we are to be right - which is as it
should be if a reading is to give a person information so that they can
change their "future."

As an aside to this topic, I noticed that readings done on myself don't
come
> out as accurate sometimes.

How true. I believe George called it "wishful" thinking in his post. It
could also be "fearful" thinking. If this is happening to you, switch
your perspective and notice what you are wishing or fearing. If nothing
else you can become more aware of your own feelings. Observation really
is the key. Another thing to do is simply write down a reading and your
thoughts about it, and then when the situation has played itself out
write down what actually happened and compare the two.

> Another question is, is it "wrong", or somehow a negative thing, for me to read from the
> book?

Of course it's not wrong to read from the book. That's a major way of
getting new information and different perspectives. With a new deck I
usually use the book for awhile to see what I can learn from it. Good
heavens, get several books.

> Should I memorize the meanings of the cards?

You really don't need to memorize. As you do the readings and look up
meanings or discover new ones through observation you'll begin to make
all kinds of associations to each card. You might say something like:
"For one person this card was about not listening to advice." And the
querent will say, "I know what you mean, except for me it's not about
'not listening,' but about ignoring what I do hear."

> When you do readings, and
> you already know the meanings of the cards, are you able to personalize the reading by

> mere association (which cards are nearby to the others, and so forth) . . .

Yes, definitely. Each card has a vast "field" of meanings. Adjacent
cards narrow down (or reinforce certain areas of) the field.

> . . . or is the tarot

> reading associated with a special ability to know things about strangers?

Do you mean being psychic? I think psychic abilities are natural to
humans, and just like everyone (except those few with a handicap) can
learn to draw what they see, so we can learn to be more psychic. Working
with symbols and the Tarot tends to foster this learning. However some
people are more naturally talented at it, and some are so societally
trained not to trust this ability that they run from it.

There are AT LEAST four methods of reading the cards: the Analytic
Method (finding correspondences between symbols and their meanings), the
Psychic Method (just discussed), the Therapeutic Method (assisting the
querent to discover personal meaning, options, and goals), and the
Magical Method (affirming or negating possibilties). The best readings
use all four. We each have a method that we tend to fall back on and a
method that we avoid (but can develop if we want to be well-rounded).

I hope this helps.

Mary
--
Mary K. Greer ta...@nccn.net
Tools And Rites Of Transformation (T.A.R.O.T.)

Mary K. Greer

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

kk...@pipeline.com wrote:
> This idea that we
> have a method that we fall back on and one that we avoid reminds me of
> Jung's concept about typologies and superior and inferior functions. > Can you relate the four methods to these four functions?
> Perhaps psychic method=intuition, analytic method=thinking, therapeutic
> method=feeling and magical method=sensation?

Actually I relate these four methods to both Jung's functions and the
four suits, but I see Intuition as Fire/Wands/Therapeutic, and Feeling
as Water/Cups/Psychic. The other two are as you've suggested. I discuss
these fully, along with the "Four Dimensions of Meaning" found in a card
(literal, allegorical, moral, spiritual) in TAROT MIRRORS.

kk...@pipeline.com

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <31A116...@nccn.net>, Mary K. Greer writes:

>There are AT LEAST four methods of reading the cards: the Analytic
>Method (finding correspondences between symbols and their meanings), the
>Psychic Method (just discussed), the Therapeutic Method (assisting the
>querent to discover personal meaning, options, and goals), and the
>Magical Method (affirming or negating possibilties). The best readings
>use all four. We each have a method that we tend to fall back on and a
>method that we avoid (but can develop if we want to be well-rounded).

I LIKE this way of defining/organizing the various
methods/techniques/purposes of readings. Thanks! :-) This idea that we

have a method that we fall back on and one that we avoid reminds me of
Jung's concept about typologies and superior and inferior functions. The
four functions that he identified are thinking, feeling, sensation, and
intuition. Can you relate the four methods to these four functions?
Perhaps psychic method=intuition, analytic method=thinking, therapeutic
method=feeling and magical method=sensation?

>I hope this helps.

kk...@pipeline.com

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

Again, I mentioned this as well in my post. I wrote:

I have found that one learns the
tarot through several techniques 1) read many books and commentaries on
the cards 2) practice using them in divination 3) utilize them for
meditative ( or pathwork) purposes and 4) study the tarot as a book within

itself...examine the relationship of the cards to one another, become
familiar with the inherent structure of the deck, discover the unfolding
journey represented by the sequence of the cards, note
similarities/differences/dualities between the cards, etc.

>>>or is the tarot reading associated with a special ability to know things

>about strangers?
>

>>Psychic ability can certainly facilitate the process of doing tarot
>>readings for others. Similarly, doing tarot readings for others
>>facilitates the psychic abilities.[edited for brevity]
>*I would add that one's intent is key with this kind of thing. Personally
>I shudder that people only read tarot for other people because of the
>motive for personal gain. I think to foster growth and understanding is a
>better motive. To get the ability to see into the future or to know things

>about strangers...hmm...I wonder why would someone want that kind of power

>in the first place, something I can only ascertain about myself.

Please try to read and/or quote the relevant issues of my posts to your

Message has been deleted

kk...@pipeline.com

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <31A163...@nccn.net>, Mary K. Greer writes:

>Actually I relate these four methods to both Jung's functions and the
>four suits, but I see Intuition as Fire/Wands/Therapeutic, and Feeling
>as Water/Cups/Psychic. The other two are as you've suggested.

I can see the logic of this as well

I discuss
>these fully, along with the "Four Dimensions of Meaning" found in a card
>(literal, allegorical, moral, spiritual) in TAROT MIRRORS.

Sounds like something I'd LOVE to read more about. Is that one of your
books/decks?
Which card? How can I get this information?

Lola Lucas

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

>> If you just want accuracy then watch body language.
>
>This is called 'cold reading'. This is the method preferred
>by con artists all over.

It's also used by psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors and hey, even
bar tenders, hair dressers, bankers and cops. Observing body language is
part of successful communication and not just the province of scam
artists. When I worked with executives who'd been outplaced, I'd observe
posture, tone of voice, etc. to get a truer answer than just their words
would have conveyed. According to some studies, body language accounts
for 80% or more of the message. Of course, that's both the curse and
blessing of cyberspace---that we don't SEE each other. Lola

Message has been deleted

RiffRaff

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

In article <319F03...@bga.com>, Jess Karlin <r3wi...@bga.com> wrote:

> > I believe (and I may get really blasted for this) is that all readings are
> > as accurate as they are "supposed" to be.
>

> Of course you are going to get blasted, that's an idiotic statement.
>
> Christ, this relativist bullshit about tarot is SO boring.

Sheesh, why so freaking abrasive?

You've got some good points, but you hardly need to be insulting to
deliver them...

--Riff

Message has been deleted

an61...@anon.penet.fi

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Jess Karlin <r3wi...@bga.com> wrote:

>Why are you so fucking concerned about it?
>
>(jk)

You seem to be preoccupied with the "f" word here lately. It's bad
enough to hear that word thrown about verbally in daily life, and seeing
it in print is even worse when it appears to be used for no reason.

Perhaps you could find another word that's more to your liking, yet less
offensive?

Message has been deleted

RT

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Jess Karlin <r3wi...@bga.com> wrote:

>an61...@anon.penet.fi wrote:
>>
>> Jess Karlin <r3wi...@bga.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >Why are you so fucking concerned about it?
>> >
>> >(jk)
>>
>> You seem to be preoccupied with the "f" word here lately. It's bad
>> enough to hear that word thrown about verbally in daily life,
>
>Why? What the fuck is wrong with it, RT? (or is that you, Palmer?)

Personally, I don't think there's a thing wrong with it, as long as it's
used in the proper context, such as 'Fuck you Jess' or anything
remotely similar.

RT

Sphe...@aol.com

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96
Not only that but it relates to being the type of card
reader so many people seem to want to be, a "psychic"
one. I have talked to people who have worked with
tarot for years always hoping for the day they will become
"psychic" as if this were something that was going to
happen in a blinding flash and suddenly they would
"know all, see all."

Watching people's body language is an excellent
way to begin to develop the intuition. When we
become observant it gives us the link we need to
trigger our own intuitive response. It is this "inner
knowing" that usually proves to be the most
accurate form of psychism. While it isn't as flashy
as having a vision or any of the other forms of
psychism people long to develop it is the most
dependable and you don't have to be 'in the
mood' for it to function well for you.

Graham

Nigel Cooper

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

On 22 May 96 18:10:13 GMT, RT <wo...@paradise.net> wrote:

Some stuff in a thread that he had been involved in as Anon.

RT, you forgot make this post anonymous, or are you trying to pretend
that you are two people after all.

Come on RT, it is obvious that both your messages and Anon's messages
come off of the same machine, the same version of news reader with the
same configuration, (including the lone full stop in the Organisation
field).

You might wonder why I so gladly attack you RT, (your buddy, Mike does
anyway). It is because I abhor any lack of integrity. There may be
all kind of psychological reasons for that, but there you have it - I
hate liars, and you, RT, are a liar. What makes it worse is that you
are also proclaiming your self as an authority in the tarot
distribution business. You see, the fact that you are a dishonest
dickhead and that you sell tarot cards effects the credibility of all
who sell tarot cards, (just a tiny bit). So, each time I catch you
out in a lie I will call you on it.

Your trouble is that you are so stupid, you don't know that you are
being so obvious.

~ Nigel / Be aware
/ magic happens here
/

RT

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

nco...@werple.net.au (Nigel Cooper) wrote:

it is obvious that both your messages and Anon's messages
>come off of the same machine, the same version of news reader with the
>same configuration, (including the lone full stop in the Organisation
>field).

And I own the one and only version of this newsreader that exists on the
entire planet.

>You might wonder why I so gladly attack you RT,

The only thing I ever wonder about you is why you are so concerned with
people's computers and headers are. Should we be regressing you into
your childhood to help you find out?

It is because I abhor any lack of integrity.

Speaking of which, are you ever going to identify your shop here in the
group like I asked you? You seem to enjoy attacking companies Nigel,
let's have a shot at yours, eh? Don't you suppose that someone with an
attitude and a mouth like yours, not to mention your hate filled motives
should let others know that they have a business people may not want to
patronize because of YOUR actions? The same should apply for your Texas
two steppin' buddy, perhaps you both should identify your sources of
income and let people take pot shots at that?

Or do you suppose someone should identify them FOR you?

>I hate liars,

You should really love yourself. You'll feel much better. You can't
even be taken at your own word. Somewhere in here I read where JK said
he was leaving the group and never coming back. Well, his continued
presence makes him a liar, care to point that out Nigel? In your last
post directed to me, you said..."This is the last time I'll address you
RT" and yet, here we have your venom again? Your continued postings
directed at me make you a liar, care to point that out as well Nigel?

RT

Melanie L. Carr-Kulacz

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In article <taliesin-200...@duncan.hrc.utexas.edu>, tali...@mail.utexas.edu (George Leake) says:

>>Emily writes:
>>>One of my questions is ... what (in your respective opinions) makes the
>readings more accuate?

This is my perspective on reading cards. Tarot cards are not psychic, or
magical, and they don't predict the future. What they do is give us
a window to our own "inner world". As Jung stated, if you randomly
manipulate symbols, the unconscience will influence the symbols or
your interpretation of them as a way of connecting to conscience thought.
In simpler terms, the answer is all in your own head. All the cards do is
give you a key to unlock what you know is the right thing, but are unable
fo face conciously.

>>>As an aside to this topic, I noticed that readings done on myself don't
>come out as accurate sometimes.

`Course, in reading for yourself, you can get into the way you wish the world was,
and not necessarily how it is. If someone else reads for you, at least you
get that person's perspective. But keep in mind, whether reading for yourself
or others, the cards are simply a mirror of what is inside you.

>>>or is the tarot reading associated with a special ability to know things
>about strangers?
>
>>Psychic ability can certainly facilitate the process of doing tarot
>>readings for others.

I've read for friends and I've read for total strangers. What's in the cards is what's
in you. Either there's no such things as "psychic" power, or we all have it. Like
musical ability, almost everyone has it to some extent. Some may be more
talented than others, but practice also makes a big difference.

>*I would add that one's intent is key with this kind of thing. Personally
>I shudder that people only read tarot for other people because of the
>motive for personal gain. I think to foster growth and understanding is a
>better motive. To get the ability to see into the future or to know things
>about strangers...hmm...I wonder why would someone want that kind of power
>in the first place, something I can only ascertain about myself.

I'm with you. The tarot can be a powerful tool for growth. It can also be a powerful
tool to use and manipulate others. It's one thing to try to help others (and possibly
put a little bread on your own table) but quite another to set yourself up as some
kind of all powerful seer who can see into the future. BUNK! Anyone who sells
you that line is out to control you.

>--
Melanie L. Carr-Kulacz mca...@unf.edu

Nigel Cooper

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

On 23 May 96 12:43:57 GMT, RT <wo...@paradise.net> wrote:

>nco...@werple.net.au (Nigel Cooper) wrote:
>
> it is obvious that both your messages and Anon's messages
>>come off of the same machine, the same version of news reader with the
>>same configuration, (including the lone full stop in the Organisation
>>field).
>
>And I own the one and only version of this newsreader that exists on the
>entire planet.

Including the lone full stop in the organisation field?

>>You might wonder why I so gladly attack you RT,
>
>The only thing I ever wonder about you is why you are so concerned with
>people's computers and headers are.

Because yours is evidence of your fundamental lack of integrity.

>are you ever going to identify your shop here in the
>group like I asked you?

I told you then that there is nothing you can't learn by looking at my
header. Unlike you RT, I'm not trying to hide anything. The
information you seek is available as it has always been available. I
also told you that you and your friends were welcome to drop in
anytime but that I would drop you out again if you misbehaved.

> You seem to enjoy attacking companies Nigel,
>let's have a shot at yours, eh? Don't you suppose that someone with an
>attitude and a mouth like yours, not to mention your hate filled motives

I just dislike people like you RT and companies like Wolf
Distributing. You have attempted intimidation and when caught out
you have lied.

You give the book selling industry a bad name.

>Or do you suppose someone should identify them FOR you?

By this comment are you trying to imply that I am involved in
something nefarious. OK, lets see your evidence - all of it; lay it
out. No. I thought so.

> In your last
>post directed to me, you said..."This is the last time I'll address you
>RT"

No. I said: "This is my last word on you RT. " And, indeed I had
hoped that I wouldn't have to deal with you again, but, like the fool
you are, you keep coming back, (leaving your self open).

RT, a lie is saying something that you know to be untrue at the time
it is said. I'm letting you know the definition of a lie because you
do it all the time. When I said "This is my last word on you RT. " I
certainly thought it was going to be so. I didn't think that you
would be stupid enough to post in this vain again when you had been so
exposed as a fraud.

C. Martin

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

< In a previous article, ra...@mail.idt.net (Emily) asked: >

> I'd like some points of view on a few aspects of reading tarot cards.

> I bought my first box of tarot cards at least five years ago, and it
> came with a book that describes in-depth what all the cards mean.

Please 'fess up! What deck!? ;-> Personally, I have collected
several over the past few years, and I am now primarily using the
Robin Wood Tarot.

> I have done quite a few readings for friends and family, and I noticed

> (partially because of other people's comments) that the readings come

> out very accurate. Which is all fine and dandy I guess, but I have
> never memorized what exactly the cards mean (though I sometimes remember
> vaguely the meaning of a few cards just by exposure to them), so after I
> spread the cards out, I just read the meanings directly out of the book.

Memorizing the "standard" meanings associated with each of the (typical)
78 Tarot cards "is all find and dandy", but if you are achieving "accurate"
results without having studied your Tarot cards indepth, then that is fine
for you. Whatever works. Plain, Pure and Simple.

But, it is a good idea for newcomers (doncha' just hate that word
"newbie"?) to the Tarot to at least browse a few (No, NOT just ONE!)
reference materials (books, published articles, etc.) which give a
basic guideline to the "standard" meanings associated with each of
the Tarot cards. This will usually provide the newcomer with at least
some frame of reference from which to build their own interpretations
on for each of the cards. It is important to note any "associations"
between groups of Tarot cards. This helps when trying to clarify why
one particular card is lying near another in a layout. ;-)

> One of my questions is... what (in your respective opinions) makes the
> readings more accurate?

Without question, in my mind, +Honesty!+ You have to be honest with
yourself, first and foremost, before you can begin interpretating the
Tarot with any sincerity. I say this in light of if someone is not
ready to accept the insights the Tarot offers, then what kind of reading
are you going to end up with?

> As an aside to this topic, I noticed that readings done on myself don't

> come out as accurate sometimes. I have heard other people say the same

> thing... any comments or opinions on why this may be?

If you refer to giving yourself these readings, the answer can be
found in a lack of an +objective+ point of view. (I'm making a
general comment, here. Not targetting you specifically.) "Can't see
the forrest for the trees." comes to mind. I have no trouble reading
for myself. But then, I am so over analytical about a great many
things. Hey, it works for me. ;->

> Another question is, is it "wrong", or somehow a negative thing, for me
> to read from the book?

Is it "wrong" to read the road signs when you are on your way to
someplace unfamiliar?? The answer to this query matches the answer
to your own.

> Should I memorize the meanings of the cards?

Again, it is a good idea to have some kind of foundation knowledge
from which to build your own interpretations for each of the Tarot
cards. If you can take a look at say 5 different Tarot cards in your
deck, and pick out say 3 different "symbols" on each card (if you have
cards with individual pictures for each of the Minor Arcana, even) and
can describe to yourself what these might represent in your life, then
I don't see where you would need to take a crash course in learning any
standardized material. But, to each their own method of becoming
more intimately knowledgeable about the Tarot cards they use. ;-)

> And a more in-depth and personal question on tarot reading: When you do

> readings, and you already know the meanings of the cards, are you able to
> personalize the reading by mere association (which cards are nearby to the

> others, and so forth), or is the tarot reading associated with a special

> ability to know things about strangers?

Ooo! I catch that +psychic+ reference there!! **Puts figures in the
shape of a cross!** };-> Never in my lifetime have I promoted that I am
in any way, shape or form Psychic. In fact, you don't even have to have
a religious/spiritual belief system in order to use the Tarot cards.
I have a dear friend, she is Atheist, and is a Physics Major in college.
I turned her on to the Tarot, and she reads better than I do and I have
been at this since 1986, and she touched her first deck in 1994! ;-)
Another non-psychic friend of mine, she has devised her own "Tarot
families" using the Robin Wood Tarot. Truly gifted women, I assure
you. But not psychically. ;->

From the premise you cite, my response is: Yes. You can "personalize"
any reading with the information you have. That is the idea behind reading
for others. "`I see a tall, dark, handsome man coming into your life.'"
Okay. Bully for whoever. ;-) Now, "`I see someone about to enter your
life who might be rather down to earth.'" Now, the association here is
that (Here's one for you +Traditionalist!+) the suit of Pentacles primarily
represent people of dark skin/hair/eye color. Also, very reliable, down to
earth, materialistic disposition, etc.! ;-) But, that is still a very
general interpretation.

You mention about "knowing things about strangers." This is actually a
very good topic to bring up. It has long been my position that the Tarot
is a very +personalized+ tool. The +people+ in the Tarot cards are no more
a "stranger" to you than you are to yourself. YOU are represented by each
and every single one of those 78 Tarot cards. I don't hear others even
mention this. I find that disturbing. The Tarot, at least for me, I
guess, is not like the "book of everyone's life experiences" like some
books I have read suggest. But rather, it is a chronicle of YOUR life.
Maybe what is happening right now in your life can't be summed up using
every single Tarot card right now, but if you look back upon your life, you
are sure to find that you have a lot in common with the "people" in many of
those Tarot cards. Also, there might be (Tarot card) "scenes" that you
haven't experienced yet. That's okay! If you're lucky (As long as you
learn from it you're lucky!), you will. All in due time. And, like you
might have heard many-a-time... "Life seems to repeat itself." So, in
effect, you might revisit with a particular set of cards every now and
again. Hey, par for the course.

> Thanks for your input, I need all the help I can get.

And I am glad that you are willing to ask for some guidance! ;-)
There is plenty of it out here on the Internet, both good and bad,
but it is out here. ;->

*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*

DISCLAIMER: You are not expected to agree with anything that I have
written in this message. If you don't and choose to let
me (and others?) know about it, please don't neglect to
utilize the "Flame Form" provided for your convenience
in a previous postie. **WaVieZ**
-=- PEN C. Martin

*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*~-_-~*_-~-_*
--
"Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, wore the t-shirt, washed the
t-shirt, woreout the t-shirt, and gave it to the Salvation Army." S.A.J.

Mikep

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

nco...@werple.net.au (Nigel Cooper) wrote:
>On 23 May 96 12:43:57 GMT, RT <wo...@paradise.net> wrote:

>I just dislike people like you RT and companies like Wolf
>Distributing. You have attempted intimidation and when caught out
>you have lied.

And you jump on the bandwagon of attacking people with no proof. I bet
you treat all of your customers like that.

>You give the book selling industry a bad name.

Just like you. But really, who gives a shit about a nothing little store
in Austrailia.

>By this comment are you trying to imply that I am involved in
>something nefarious. OK, lets see your evidence - all of it; lay it
>out. No. I thought so.

Hmmmm How many times have YOU been asked for evidence. You have not given
any. Just little guesses that you have been taken. I hope you are a
better book peddler than you are a dectective. Probably not, if you were
,your store wouldn't be so tiny.

>No. I said: "This is my last word on you RT. " And, indeed I had
>hoped that I wouldn't have to deal with you again, but, like the fool
>you are, you keep coming back, (leaving your self open).

But you know what is in the thread but you read it anyway.

>RT, a lie is saying something that you know to be untrue at the time
>it is said. I'm letting you know the definition of a lie because you
>do it all the time. When I said "This is my last word on you RT. " I
>certainly thought it was going to be so.

Liar

I didn't think that you
>would be stupid enough to post in this vain again when you had been so
>exposed as a fraud.

Liar you have proven nothing.

>~ Nigel / Be aware

> / shit happens here
> /

C. Martin

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

I could not agree with you more on that second part. This goes with
what I posted earlier that each one of the 78 cards (in a standard deck)
represent the individual. These are symbols. The individual holds the
"key" which, if used, will lead to the conscious understanding of the
many mysteries held in the unconscious. But then, you said it better. ;-)

-=- PEN C. Martin

--
"Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, wore the t-shirt, washed the
t-shirt, woreout the t-shirt, and gave it to the Salvation Army." S.A.J.