Natural selection acts used 13 times by Darwin

backspace

Feb 8, 2009, 9:45:11 AM2/8/09
Natural selection acts was used 13 times by DArwin. Most of the
passages below are tautologies and you should be able to identify it
by now. http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/TauTology

=== asdf ===
ILLUSTRATIONS OF THE ACTION OF NATURAL SELECTION, OR THE SURVIVAL OF
THE
FITTEST.

In order to make it clear how, as I believe,*natural selection acts*,
I must beg permission to give one or two imaginary illustrations. Let
us take the case of a wolf, which preys on various animals, securing
some by craft, some by strength, and some by fleetness; and let us
suppose that the fleetest prey, a deer for instance, had from any
change in the country increased in numbers, or that other prey had
decreased in numbers, during that season of the year when the wolf was
hardest pressed for food. Under such circumstances the swiftest and
slimmest wolves have the best chance of surviving, and so be preserved
or selected, provided always that they retained strength to master
their prey at this or some other period of the year, when they were
compelled to prey on other animals. I can see no more reason to
doubt that this would be the result, than that man should be able to
improve the fleetness of his greyhounds by careful and methodical
selection, or by that kind of unconscious selection which follows from
each man trying to keep the best dogs without any thought of modifying
the breed. I may add that, according to Mr. Pierce, there are two
varieties of the wolf inhabiting the Catskill Mountains, in the United
States, one with a light greyhound-like form, which pursues deer, and
the other more bulky,
with shorter legs, which more frequently attacks the shepherd's
flocks.

== qsdf ==
*Natural selection acts* only by the preservation and accumulation of
small inherited modifications, each profitable to the preserved being;
and as modern geology has almost banished such views as the excavation
of a great valley by a single diluvial wave, so will natural
selection banish the belief of the continued
creation of new organic beings, or of any great and sudden
modification in their structure.

== asdf ==
Natural selection acts solely through the preservation of
variations in some way advantageous, which consequently endure. Owing
the high geometrical rate of increase of all organic beings, each area
is
already fully stocked with inhabitants, and it follows from this, that
as
the favoured forms increase in number, so, generally, will the less
favoured decrease and become rare. Rarity, as geology tells us, is
the
precursor to extinction. We can see that any form which is
represented by
few individuals will run a good chance of utter extinction, during
great
fluctuations in the nature or the seasons, or from a temporary
increase in
the number of its enemies. But we may go further than this; for as
new
forms are produced, unless we admit that specific forms can go on
indefinitely increasing in number, many old forms must become
extinct.
That the number of specific forms has not indefinitely increased,
geology
plainly tells us; and we shall presently attempt to show why it is
that the
number of species throughout the world has not become immeasurably
great.

== asdf ==
We have seen that in each country it is the species belonging to the
larger
genera which oftenest present varieties or incipient species. This,
indeed, might have been expected; for as natural selection acts
through one
form having some advantage over other forms in the struggle for
existence,
it will chiefly act on those which already have some advantage; and
the
largeness of any group shows that its species have inherited from a
common
ancestor some advantage in common. Hence, the struggle for the
production
of new and modified descendants will mainly lie between the larger
groups,
which are all trying to increase in number. One large group will
slowly
conquer another large group, reduce its number, and thus lessen its
chance
of further variation and improvement. Within the same large group,
the
later and more highly perfected sub-groups, from branching out and
seizing
on many new places in the polity of nature, will constantly tend to
supplant and destroy the earlier and less improved sub-groups. Small
and
broken groups and sub-groups will finally disappear.

== asdf ==

Natural selection acts exclusively by the preservation and
accumulation of
variations, which are beneficial under the organic and inorganic
conditions
to which each creature is exposed at all periods of life. The
ultimate
result is that each creature tends to become more and more improved in
relation to its conditions. This improvement inevitably leads to the
gradual advancement of the organisation of the greater number of
living
beings throughout the world. But here we enter on a very intricate
subject, for naturalists have not defined to each other's satisfaction
what
is meant by an advance in organisation.

== asdf ==

As natural selection acts solely by the preservation of profitable
modifications, each new form will tend in a fully-stocked country to
take
the place of, and finally to exterminate, its own less improved parent-
form
and other less-favoured forms with which it comes into competition.
Thus
extinction and natural selection go hand in hand. Hence, if we look
at
each species as descended from some unknown form, both the parent and
all
the transitional varieties will generally have been exterminated by
the
very process of the formation and perfection of the new form.

== asdf ==

As natural selection acts by life and death, by the survival of the
fittest, and by the destruction of the less well-fitted individuals, I
have
sometimes felt great difficulty in understanding the origin or
formation of
parts of little importance; almost as great, though of a very
different
kind, as in the case of the most perfect and complex organs.

In the first place, we are much too ignorant in regard to the whole
economy
of any one organic being to say what slight modifications would be of
importance or not. In a former chapter I have given instances of very
trifling characters, such as the down on fruit and the colour of its
flesh,
the colour of the skin and hair of quadrupeds, which, from being
correlated
with constitutional differences, or from determining the attacks of
insects, might assuredly be acted on by natural selection. The tail
of the
giraffe looks like an artificially constructed fly-flapper; and it
seems at
first incredible that this could have been adapted for its present
purpose
by successive slight modifications, each better and better fitted, for
so
trifling an object as to drive away flies; yet we should pause before
being
too positive even in this case, for we know that the distribution and
existence of cattle and other animals in South America absolutely
depend on
their power of resisting the attacks of insects: so that individuals
which
could by any means defend themselves from these small enemies, would
be
able to range into new pastures and thus gain a great advantage. It
is not
that the larger quadrupeds are actually destroyed (except in some rare
cases) by flies, but they are incessantly harassed and their strength
reduced, so that they are more subject to disease, or not so well
enabled
in a coming dearth to search for food, or to escape from beasts of
prey.

== asdf ==

Natural selection will never produce in a being any structure more
injurious than beneficial to that being, for natural selection acts
solely
by and for the good of each. No organ will be formed, as Paley has
remarked, for the purpose of causing pain or for doing an injury to
its
possessor. If a fair balance be struck between the good and evil
caused by
each part, each will be found on the whole advantageous. After the
lapse
of time, under changing conditions of life, if any part comes to be
injurious, it will be modified; or if it be not so, the being will
become
extinct, as myriads have become extinct.

== asdf ==
Natural selection can produce nothing in one species for the exclusive
good
or injury of another; though it may well produce parts, organs, and
excretions highly useful or even indispensable, or highly injurious to
another species, but in all cases at the same time useful to the
possessor.
In each well-stocked country natural selection acts through the
competition
of the inhabitants and consequently leads to success in the battle for
life, only in accordance with the standard of that particular
country.
Hence the inhabitants of one country, generally the smaller one, often
yield to the inhabitants of another and generally the larger country.
For
in the larger country there will have existed more individuals, and
more
diversified forms, and the competition will have been severer, and
thus the
standard of perfection will have been rendered higher. Natural
selection
will not necessarily lead to absolute perfection; nor, as far as we
can
judge by our limited faculties, can absolute perfection be everywhere
predicated.

== asdf ==
For natural selection acts by either now adapting the varying
parts of each being to its organic and inorganic conditions of life;
or by
having adapted them during past periods of time: the adaptations
being
aided in many cases by the increased use or disuse of parts, being
affected
by the direct action of external conditions of life, and subjected in
all
cases to the several laws of growth and variation. Hence, in fact,
the law
of the Conditions of Existence is the higher law; as it includes,
through
the inheritance of former variations and adaptations, that of Unity of
Type.

== asdf ==

As natural selection acts only by the accumulation of slight
modifications
of structure or instinct, each profitable to the individual under its
conditions of life, it may reasonably be asked, how a long and
graduated
succession of modified architectural instincts, all tending towards
the
present perfect plan of construction, could have profited the
progenitors
of the hive-bee? I think the answer is not difficult: cells
constructed
like those of the bee or the wasp gain in strength, and save much in
labour
and space, and in the materials of which they are constructed. With
respect to the formation of wax, it is known that bees are often hard
pressed to get sufficient nectar; and I am informed by Mr. Tegetmeier
that
it has been experimentally proved that from twelve to fifteen pounds
of dry
sugar are consumed by a hive of bees for the secretion of a pound of
wax;
so that a prodigious quantity of fluid nectar must be collected and
consumed by the bees in a hive for the secretion of the wax necessary
for
the construction of their combs.

== asdf ==
As natural selection acts solely by accumulating slight, successive,
favourable variations, it can produce no great or sudden
modifications; it
can act only by short and slow steps. Hence, the canon of "Natura non
facit saltum," which every fresh addition to our knowledge tends to
confirm, is on this theory intelligible. We can see why throughout
nature
the same general end is gained by an almost infinite diversity of
means,
for every peculiarity when once acquired is long inherited, and
structures
already modified in many different ways have to be adapted for the
same
general purpose. We can, in short, see why nature is prodigal in
variety,
though niggard in innovation. But why this should be a law of nature
if
each species has been independently created no man can explain.

== asdf ==

As natural selection acts by competition, it adapts and improves the
inhabitants of each country only in relation to their co-inhabitants;
so
that we need feel no surprise at the species of any one country,
although
on the ordinary view supposed to have been created and specially
adapted
for that country, being beaten and supplanted by the naturalised
productions from another land. Nor ought we to marvel if all the
contrivances in nature be not, as far as we can judge, absolutely
perfect;
as in the case even of the human eye; or if some of them be abhorrent
our ideas of fitness.

== What does natural selection do ==
Natural selection acts solely through the preservation of
variations in some way advantageous, which consequently endure. Owing
the high geometrical rate of increase of all organic beings, each area
is
already fully stocked with inhabitants, and it follows from this, that
as
the favoured forms increase in number, so, generally, will the less
favoured decrease and become rare.

backspace

Feb 8, 2009, 3:26:10 PM2/8/09
On Feb 8, 4:45 pm, backspace <Stephan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Natural selection acts was used 13 times by DArwin. Most of the
> passages below are tautologies and you should be able to identify it
> by now.http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/TauTology

== What does natural selection do ==

> Natural selection acts solely through the preservation of variations in some way advantageous, which consequently endure. Owing to the high geometrical rate of increase of all organic beings, each area
> is already fully stocked with inhabitants, and it follows from this, that as the favoured forms increase in number, so, generally, will the less favoured decrease and become rare.

== rephrase ==
Natural selection acts through the preservation of variations in
some way advantageous, which consequently endure. .... the favoured

forms increase in number, so, generally, will the less favoured
decrease and become rare.

== rephrase to stip out natural selection red herring ==
The preservation of advantageous variations endure. .... the

favoured forms increase in number, so, generally, will the less
favoured decrease and become rare.

== rephrase ==
The preservation of advantageous variations endure , the favoured
forms increase and the less favoured decrease and this tautology I
Charles Darwin call natural selection damning half humanity to an
eternity with me in the lake a fire because they are to stupid to
comprehend what a tautology is.

Those that were advantageous endured and those favored increased is a
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/TauTology.

Free Lunch

Feb 8, 2009, 5:21:14 PM2/8/09
On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 12:26:10 -0800 (PST), backspace
<Steph...@gmail.com> wrote in alt.talk.creationism:

Clearly you refuse to learn the difference between an observation and a
tautology.

backspace

Feb 10, 2009, 9:07:09 AM2/10/09
http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/
=== Darwin's Theory of Evolution - Natural Selection ===

While Darwin's Theory of Evolution is a relatively young archetype,
the evolutionary worldview itself is as old as antiquity. Ancient
Greek philosophers such as Anaximander postulated the development of
life from non-life and the evolutionary descent of man from animal.
Charles Darwin simply brought something new to the old philosophy -- a
plausible mechanism called "natural selection." Natural selection acts
to preserve and accumulate minor advantageous genetic mutations.
Suppose a member of a species developed a functional advantage (it
grew wings and learned to fly). Its offspring would inherit that
advantage and pass it on to their offspring. The inferior
(disadvantaged) members of the same species would gradually die out,
leaving only the superior (advantaged) members of the species. Natural
selection is the preservation of a functional advantage that enables a
species to compete better in the wild. Natural selection is the
naturalistic equivalent to domestic breeding. Over the centuries,
human breeders have produced dramatic changes in domestic animal
populations by selecting individuals to breed. Breeders eliminate
undesirable traits gradually over time. Similarly, natural selection
eliminates inferior species gradually over time.

== asdf ==
[...]

Natural selection acts to preserve advantageous mutations. Suppose a
member of a species developed a functional advantage (it grew wings
and learned to fly). Its offspring would inherit that advantage and
pass it on to their offspring. The inferior (disadvantaged) members of
the same species would gradually die out, leaving only the superior
(advantaged) members of the species. Natural selection is the
preservation of a functional advantage that enables a species to
compete better in the wild. Natural selection is the naturalistic
equivalent to domestic breeding. Over the centuries, human breeders
have produced dramatic changes in domestic animal populations by
selecting individuals to breed. Breeders eliminate undesirable traits
gradually over time. Similarly, natural selection eliminates inferior
species gradually over time.

== asdf ==
Natural selection acts to preserve advantageous mutations. Natural
selection is the preservation of a functional advantage that enables a
species to compete better in the wild. Natural selection is the
naturalistic equivalent to domestic breeding. Over the centuries,
human breeders have produced dramatic changes in domestic animal
populations by selecting individuals to breed. Breeders eliminate
undesirable traits gradually over time. Similarly, natural selection
eliminates inferior species gradually over time.

== asdf ==
Natural selection acts to preserve the functionally advantageous
mutations. Natural selection is the naturalistic equivalent to
domestic breeding. Over the centuries, human breeders have produced
dramatic changes in domestic animal populations by selecting
individuals to breed. Breeders eliminate undesirable traits gradually
over time. Similarly, natural selection eliminates inferior species
gradually over time.

== Strip out natural selection ==
"....Functionally advantageous mutations are preserved....."
"....... Inferior species are eliminated. ...."

Functionally, advantageous and preserved has got nothing to do with
anything getting naturaled - natural selection as a piece of
grammatical gargoyle is superfluous to the underlying tautology.

"....... Inferior species are eliminated. ...." What an amazing
insight , who would have thought something which was *eliminated* was
*inferior*? What hope is there for humanity if ID, YEC and atheist in
their fierce rhetorical battles are to dense to comprehend what a
tautology is and that any term even natural selection or square
circles can be associated with a tautological formulation of an
observation: We are in existence but why are we in existence?
Formulate your answer in terms of whatever you define as Life.

AIG, http://www.icr.org, Dembski , Ruse , Dawkins all seem to be in on
some sort of scam where they sell books attacking the other side
because they fail to understand what a tautology is and that per
definition there can't possibly be such a thing as a square circle and
natural selection.

Tim Miller

Feb 10, 2009, 9:12:33 AM2/10/09
backspace wrote:

> Functionally, advantageous and preserved has got nothing to do with
> anything getting naturaled - natural selection as a piece of
> grammatical gargoyle is superfluous to the underlying tautology.

Say, would you mind reposting your rambling article in another
language? The Google "Gibberish to English" translator is
apparently broken.

Thanks!

Bob T.

Feb 10, 2009, 11:06:40 AM2/10/09
On Feb 8, 2:21 pm, Free Lunch <lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 12:26:10 -0800 (PST), backspace
> <Stephan...@gmail.com> wrote in alt.talk.creationism:
>

> >Those that were advantageous endured and those favored increased is a
> >http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/TauTology.
>
> Clearly you refuse to learn the difference between an observation and a tautology.

You could have put a period after the word "learn".

- Bob T.