Can I have some fun now, please?

1 view

Mike Andrews

Feb 28, 2006, 10:45:45 PM2/28/06
Melody woke me up at 0130 today; she was having nausea, vomiting, and
bloody diarrhea. Ths kept up through the rest of the morning, and at
0900 I called our GP, only to find that he was out for the day (sick
himself) and the nurse recommended I take Melody to the Urgent Care
clinic.

The doc there noted that she was _very_ dehydrated and her BP was
205/100 (usually 130/60 or so), and said that if I didn't want to
drive her to the ER, he'd have an ambulance called. I drove her, and
the ER folks spent from 0930 until 1300 trying to get the nausea and
vomiting stopped, having managed to get the diarrhea stopped somehow.

At 1300 the ER doc and her doc (called at home) agreed to admit her,
and at 1530 a bed came free. She's in room 5074 in the local hospital,
still puking herself inside out in spite of _lots_ of IV Zofran and
Phenergan. I'm more than a bit concerned, since she had something very
like this (minus the diarrhea) about a year back and damaged the
oesophagus with all the acid from the stomach contents.

Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

--
"Of course they're pallid and mushroom-like, Howard!
They're _mushrooms_!"

Stuart Lamble

Feb 28, 2006, 10:52:32 PM2/28/06
On 2006-03-01, Mike Andrews <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:
> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

For what they're worth, you have mine. May she recover quickly and
thoroughly.

> And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

Get some sleep. She's got professionals taking care of her now; you
won't help her by staying awake fretting about it.

I'm reminded of a comment my counsellor made the other day: there's
three types of problems. One: those that are completely under our
control. Two: those that are partially under our control. Three: those
we can do nothing about. This one falls (now) into category three. Be
there for her, as much as you can, by all means ... but try not to worry
too much. (Probably useless advice; I know that I'd be fretting if it
were me in your shoes.)

Good luck.

Dave Buckles

Feb 28, 2006, 11:06:35 PM2/28/06
Mike Andrews wrote:
> Melody woke me up at 0130 today; she was having nausea, vomiting, and
> bloody diarrhea. Ths kept up through the rest of the morning, and at
> 0900 I called our GP, only to find that he was out for the day (sick
> himself) and the nurse recommended I take Melody to the Urgent Care
> clinic.
>
> The doc there noted that she was _very_ dehydrated and her BP was
> 205/100 (usually 130/60 or so), and said that if I didn't want to
> drive her to the ER, he'd have an ambulance called. I drove her, and
> the ER folks spent from 0930 until 1300 trying to get the nausea and
> vomiting stopped, having managed to get the diarrhea stopped somehow.
>
> At 1300 the ER doc and her doc (called at home) agreed to admit her,
> and at 1530 a bed came free. She's in room 5074 in the local hospital,
> still puking herself inside out in spite of _lots_ of IV Zofran and
> Phenergan. I'm more than a bit concerned, since she had something very
> like this (minus the diarrhea) about a year back and damaged the
> oesophagus with all the acid from the stomach contents.
>
> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.
>
> And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

Damn. Best wishes, of course. I'll say an extra prayer tonight.

And I'm going to second Stuart: she's going to need your help soon
enough, so don't you wear yourself out now. Let the professionals help
her now. And, if she's at Norman Regional, I know a couple of people
there, and I'll mention her name as being one to look after extra carefully.

--Dave

--
Dave Buckles | The average user doesn't know what he
name AT barefootclown.net | wants. The average user wants fries

Joe Zeff

Feb 28, 2006, 11:19:08 PM2/28/06
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 03:45:45 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Andrews"
<mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

>Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

Your and yours all have my best wishes.

Always remember, It Could Be Worse. I once had a case of flu so bad I
had to puke into the sink while sitting on the toilet because whenever
it came out either end, it came out both together. Naturally, the
doctor suggested bananas as bland food, and I had to explain to him
that I find their stench nauseating, even at the best of times. He
fell back on unsalted boiled white rice.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns

Tech Mav

Mar 1, 2006, 12:37:36 AM3/1/06
On 2006-03-01, Mike Andrews <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:
<snippage>

> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.
>
> And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

SWTSMBO[1] and I will both have her and you in our prayers.

[1]She who thinks she must be obeyed
--
TechMav AKA The Guy In The Funny Black Hat
rot13 below if you really need to reply

Steve VanDevender

Mar 1, 2006, 2:12:28 AM3/1/06
"Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> writes:

> Melody woke me up at 0130 today; she was having nausea, vomiting, and

. . .

> At 1300 the ER doc and her doc (called at home) agreed to admit her,
> and at 1530 a bed came free.

> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

And I thought I just had a long day. I hope Melody gets better as soon
as possible because whatever she's got sounds _awful_.

> And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

Professionals are taking care of her now. Get some sleep.

--
Steve VanDevender "I ride the big iron" http://hexadecimal.uoregon.edu/
ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu PGP keyprint 4AD7AF61F0B9DE87 522902969C0A7EE8

Jim

Mar 1, 2006, 2:15:17 AM3/1/06
Mike Andrews <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

You have them, mate. Best wishes and keep us posted.

But as others have said - get some sleep.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
"I remember very carefully working out what would go in each partition

Lionel

Mar 1, 2006, 4:31:43 AM3/1/06
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 03:45:45 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Andrews"
<mi...@mikea.ath.cx> opined:

>Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

You've got them, Mike. Best wishes to her (& you!) from me.

>And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

Yup, know that feeling. Put the phone on your bedside table & get some
sleep.

Steve Doyle

Mar 1, 2006, 6:02:12 AM3/1/06
In article <du35d9$knu$1...@puck.litech.org>,

"Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> writes:

>Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

For what it's worth, you definately have mine. I hope she has a
full and quick recovery from all of this.

>And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

I hope you can get some sleep too (but that's a lot easier said
than done at times like these). I'd a lot of running back and forth
to the hospital last year and found that alone damn tiring.

S.

--
: Steve Doyle steve (at) darksun {dot} demon {dot} co {dot} uk :
: :

Message has been deleted

Howard S Shubs

Mar 1, 2006, 7:46:33 AM3/1/06
In article <mv7a02lv7p06nig26...@4ax.com>,
Joe Zeff <the.guy.with....@lasfs.org> wrote:

> Always remember, It Could Be Worse. I once had a case of flu so bad I
> had to puke into the sink while sitting on the toilet because whenever
> it came out either end, it came out both together.

I once had a case of food poisoning like that. Not fun.

To the OP: I second the call for you to GET SOME SLEEP!!!

--
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams.

Message has been deleted

Eric Schwartz

Mar 1, 2006, 12:08:34 PM3/1/06
Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> writes:
> In article <mv7a02lv7p06nig26...@4ax.com>,
> Joe Zeff <the.guy.with....@lasfs.org> wrote:
>
> > Always remember, It Could Be Worse. I once had a case of flu so bad I
> > had to puke into the sink while sitting on the toilet because whenever
> > it came out either end, it came out both together.
>
> I once had a case of food poisoning like that. Not fun.

Me too-- I can't eat reubens (formerly my favourite sandwich) or drink
mulled cider anymore. :( And the worst part was, I was fine again on
Monday.

> To the OP: I second the call for you to GET SOME SLEEP!!!

Seconded. Mike, you've done all you can, and frankly, I suspect
Melody will be happier to see you well-rested and attentive than
frazzled and exhausted.

-=Eric

Message has been deleted

Paul Kelleher

Mar 1, 2006, 4:35:22 PM3/1/06
In article <du35d9$knu$1...@puck.litech.org>, mi...@mikea.ath.cx says...

snipped tales of Olympic-standard mixed hurling...

> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

You have my best, Sir. When nausea and vomiting is an _improvement_,
hostital is probably the best place for her to be.

> And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

Someone really needs to invent anti-caffeine[1]. Useful for just
such a time, when you really, _really_ need to start sleeping NOW.

As a gentle hint: Start sleeping NOW.

[1] knowing my luck, I'd develop a tolerance to that, as well...

Kelloggs
--
| Paul Kelleher, kelloggs@ | These aren't the .sigs you're looking |
| antiphase.demon.co.uk | for... |

Garrett Wollman

Mar 1, 2006, 4:48:20 PM3/1/06
In article <MPG.1e7023eae...@news.demon.co.uk>,
Paul Kelleher <kellog...@antiphase.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>| antiphase.demon.co.uk | for... |

FPA "Ampliphase" which would be something rather different.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wol...@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own

Message has been deleted

Chris Suslowicz

Mar 1, 2006, 5:36:45 PM3/1/06
In article <du35d9$knu$1...@puck.litech.org>,
"Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

<SWMBO sickness>

>Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

I wish her a speedy recovery, of course.

>And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

Hopefully *you* have got some sleep by now, too.

Best wishes to you both.

Chris.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Mar 1, 2006, 6:50:59 PM3/1/06
In <du35d9$knu$1...@puck.litech.org>, on 03/01/2006

at 03:45 AM, "Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> said:

>Melody woke me up at 0130 today; she was having nausea, vomiting, and
>bloody diarrhea. Ths kept up through the rest of the morning, and at
>0900 I called our GP, only to find that he was out for the day (sick
>himself) and the nurse recommended I take Melody to the Urgent Care
>clinic.

Ouch!

>Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

May she be well soon. And meanwhile take care of yourself; you won't
do her or the FOFHlet any good if you get sick from exhaustion.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <http://patriot.net/~shmuel> ISO position
Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+bspfh to contact me.

Robert Sneddon

Mar 1, 2006, 6:55:48 PM3/1/06
In message <du5aeh$t5s$2...@sheepdip.leftmind.net>, Anthony de Boer -
USEnet <ab...@leftmind.net> writes

>This does suggest that as a Lenten discipline I should try and do something
>about my caffeine addicition. Maybe I'll start by Googling for "12-step
>program".

My eyes are tired. At first glance I read this as "12-gauge program".

>``Hello, my userid is root and if you feed me caffeine, nobody gets hurt.''

Bring in a couple of 5-gallon containers filled with fresh water and
store them in the tapesafe along with a kilo of vacuum-pack beans and a
hand grinder. Don't let it happen again.
--
My gmail account is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Tech Mav

Mar 1, 2006, 8:41:15 PM3/1/06
On 2006-03-01, Anthony de Boer - USEnet <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
>>[1]She who thinks she must be obeyed
>
> Advice: if she thinks so, make it so.

I let her get away with murder usually, but she knows where the line is
and listens when I put my foot down.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make her dinner.

Jove

Mar 1, 2006, 9:35:24 PM3/1/06
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:24:01 +0000 (UTC), ab...@leftmind.net (Anthony de
Boer - USEnet) wrote:

<snip harrowing tale of coffee deprivation>

"I thought I did pretty well right up until the whole coffee thing. A
necklace of the roast beans, that'd be the thing. I'll be better
prepared another time."

An oldie but a goodie (Copied from Google cache):

Caffeine

In October 1992, the ABU support team in Bellevue sent care packages of
Starbuck's coffee, chocolate covered coffee beans, and Frangos to the
North Carolina and Texas ABU teams. This is one NC engineer's account of
what happened next....

From: Anthony Pacheco
Subject: Thanks for the Care Package!
Date: Thursday, October 29, 1992 11:35AM

Bryce,

I say, the care package you sent was a big hit here, thanks! Below is a
chronological description of the care package consumption:

Sometime before Friday: The Care package arrives. I resist all
temptation to open the package and consume an entire box of Frangos.
Very impressive.

Friday 9:45 AM: I arrive early to work and open the care package that
was hidden under my desk. I 'm amazed at all the good stuff in side, but
somewhat disappointed to find that there were two boxes of Frango (or
what ever they are calling them now) chocolate mints: I could have eaten
a box and nobody would have known. Oh well. I make a pot of coffee using
the robust Yukon blend, and eat three or four chocolate covered expresso
beans. I send a message to NCABU announcing the goodies.

10:00 AM: The pot of coffee is gone and ErikaPh, my manager, makes
another, which of course I have to sample. All the items are a big hit
with everybody so far, except the chocolate covered expresso beans,
which are only popular with the real coffee fans (who absolutely love
them). Not letting a good thing go to waste, I have a couple more, a
mint or two, and start on my second cup of coffee. I notice Erika
actually drank two cups from this pot, and I start to wonder how I could
approach my manager about making sure she leaves enough coffee for the
rest of the queue.

10:10 AM: The pot of coffee is out again so HarveyY makes another. I of
course must sample the Cafe Verona blend and indulge in a few more
chocolate covered expresso beans. Erika again drinks two more cups of
coffee. I frown but say nothing and in my depression eat another Frango
chocolate mint.

10:30 AM: There has been a single cup of coffee left for some time, and
not to let it go to waste, I drink it.

11:00 AM: KevinCo sees the empty coffee pot so he makes another, and
then fills my cup under protest. Erika again drops by and fills her mug,
and pilfers some chocolate covered xxpresso beans. For some strange
reason, my typing speed has increased from, 25 WPM to 60 WPM,

11:45 AM: For some (unknown) reason, I feel agitated. To bleed of all
the excess energy coming from nowhere, I do 92 pushups while helping a
University of Oregon grad student with Excel. Out the window I notice
Erika is on her second lap running around the building. After all that
exercise, I feel thirsty, so I drink another cup of coffee and for a
snack down a few more chocolate covered expresso beans.

12:10 PM: I now notice that there are people dropping by my cube that
usually don't, in fact, I've seen the entire queue come by and sample
some goodies. I try to chat, but for some reason people seem interested
in just sampling the various yummy Frangos and the chocolate-almond
mocha's. Erika stops by for more coffee and we exchange unpleasantries.
I don't recall the exact conversation, but I do remember the phrases
"useless stingy middle-manager" and "whinny engineer". For therapy I eat
a few more chocolate covered expresso beans and try to look up how to
make a car bomb on Internet's rec.pursuits.anarchy.

1:00 PM: I skip lunch, but do drink another cup of coffee and make
another pot by request. Getting bored, I pick up the Charlotte phone
book and start dialing people at random, asking if they need any help
with Excel. Erika comes by for another cup of coffee. I miss her with
the stapler, but she wings me a good one with one of those cube coat
hooks.

2:00 PM: The entire queue, I believe, is wired with caffeine and sugar.
I, being a Seattle native, am immune to these effects. MikeNa is 10
minutes into teaching his 2nd impromptu aerobics class. It is very
interesting to watch engineers do jumping jacks while holding their
Aspect phones.

3:00 PM: HarveyY has built a small shrine for the coffee pot in the
empty cube next to me, and the low humming has started to get on my
nerves: "Huummmmm [sip] Hummmm [sip] Hummmmm [sip]." Some people, I
swear.

3:30 PM: The Starbucks Guatemalan blend has been polished off, and a
fight has ensued in the hallway on whether to ration the chocolate
covered expresso beans for later or continue with the consumption.
Hastily, I build a laser pistol out of my MS Mouse card and the power
supply from my Mac II CI, and the fight quickly ends. MikeNa shows up
and drags the unconscious rebels back to their desks.

4:00 PM: If I could just talk to the cleaning people into lending me
some Drain-O, I can complete the car bomb before Erika goes home. The
coffee pot is empty again so of course I make another. Nice guy that I
am, I drink a cup to sample the brew and deem it Most Excellent. I have
a couple of Frango mints to compensate for skipping lunch.

5:00 PM: KevinCo informs me that Erika has been slipping by in
camouflage spandex to siphon off coffee with a long straw. I thank him
for this valuable intelligence information. In a time-honored Seattle
Male Bonding Ritual, we eat 5 chocolate covered expresso beans each.

6:15 PM: I send mail to the entire queue announcing a fresh pot of
coffee (after drinking a cup first) and await Erika to sneak by with
glee.

6:20 PM: I caught Erika red-handed. I dodge the pen she tried to stab me
with, and landed a good blow to her left kidney. As she is crawling back
to her desk I hear her mumble something about "time to write a review".

6:25 PM I panic and in desperation, log on to the mail server with a VTP
connection. I hack my way into Erika's Xenix mail spool file and quickly
write, in the Xenix Borne C Shell, a program that will send an email
message every 30 seconds using Erika's email name. I address it to the
only people on campus at the time, Corporate Security, and title the
message, "I Want Bill Gate's Love Child!". I "cc" ingate!A...@ibm.com and
ingate!JSc...@apple.com just for giggles and grins.

7:30 PM: Two security guards show up, one drags Erika away and the other
starts packing her desk. I laugh hideously at her shrieks of protest,
and in celebration jump in my girl friend's sports car and drive around
the Charlotte Coliseum several times at 120 MPH.

8:00 PM: I'm feeling really tired. KevinCo points out that there still
an entire box of chocolate covered expresso beans left. Not wanting them
to go to waste, we each eat half a box.

9:00 PM After successfully typing my 3rd impromptu novel while helping
Betty from Orlando with a data consolidation, MikeNa announces that the
queue has been shut off. After the phone call I drink 14 complementary
beers, and for some unknown reason, still couldn't get to sleep that
night.

--
The above quoted text has been editted to further my own nefarious purposes.

All the best,
Jove

Maarten Wiltink

Mar 2, 2006, 3:44:09 AM3/2/06
"Robert Sneddon" <no...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

<coffee withdrawal>

> Bring in a couple of 5-gallon containers filled with fresh water and
> store them in the tapesafe along with a kilo of vacuum-pack beans and a
> hand grinder. Don't let it happen again.

There is a 5-litre jerry-can in the cupboard under the stairs that
proclaims being filled with spring water. At one point it was. Then
we needed convenient storage for all the nice rum we wanted to bring
back from Spain.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gene Sullivan

Mar 2, 2006, 12:22:42 PM3/2/06
Randy the Random <ra...@bradakis.net> wrote:
> Jove writes:

> > An oldie but a goodie (Copied from Google cache):

> Dude. We've read it. Hell, most of us probably read it when it was
> first posted.

> Posting a web page (even pulled from the Google cache, you l33t hacker,
> you.) is just stupid.

> Every time I read a post from you, stupid rolls off my screen. Stop it.

Had you considered not reading any of his posts?

How do you get the stupid off your keyboard? I've just been burning
my keyboards and replacing them when the stupid level gets too high,
but I really don't want to burn my recently-acquired Model M.

--
Gene Sullivan :: curio...@gmail.com :: http://curiousgene.com

I wish a new life awaited *me* in some off-world colony.
-Peder Klingenberg

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mike Andrews

Mar 3, 2006, 5:16:19 PM3/3/06
Mike Andrews <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:
> Melody woke me up at 0130 today; she was having nausea, vomiting, and
> bloody diarrhea. Ths kept up through the rest of the morning, and at
> 0900 I called our GP, only to find that he was out for the day (sick
> himself) and the nurse recommended I take Melody to the Urgent Care
> clinic.

> The doc there noted that she was _very_ dehydrated and her BP was
> 205/100 (usually 130/60 or so), and said that if I didn't want to
> drive her to the ER, he'd have an ambulance called. I drove her, and
> the ER folks spent from 0930 until 1300 trying to get the nausea and
> vomiting stopped, having managed to get the diarrhea stopped somehow.

> At 1300 the ER doc and her doc (called at home) agreed to admit her,

> and at 1530 a bed came free. She's in room 5074 in the local hospital,
> still puking herself inside out in spite of _lots_ of IV Zofran and
> Phenergan. I'm more than a bit concerned, since she had something very
> like this (minus the diarrhea) about a year back and damaged the
> oesophagus with all the acid from the stomach contents.

> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

> And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.

She's sprung! We just got home. She's still running a fever, and her
BP still is wildly variable, but she's home. The world is back in
order again. Bland diet for a week, see the GP in 2 weeks, call if
any problems, activities as she can tolerate them.

I dicked my hand up this afternoon, probably pulled a chip loose from
a hand or finger bone where a tendon inserts or attaches, but I'm used
to those.

She's _HOME_!

--
the only potential lusers will ever have is when they're connected to
an electron source of serious capability.

Howard S Shubs

Mar 3, 2006, 11:33:40 PM3/3/06
In article <duaf7j$abk$1...@puck.litech.org>,
"Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

> She's _HOME_!

Woohoo!

Did you both get some sleep?

Message has been deleted

Mike Andrews

Mar 4, 2006, 3:46:30 PM3/4/06
Simon Smith <simon_sm...@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <du3hif$24pt$1...@isis.novusordo.net>
> Steve VanDevender <ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>> "Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> writes:
>>
>> > Melody woke me up at 0130 today; she was having nausea, vomiting, and

>> . . .

>> > At 1300 the ER doc and her doc (called at home) agreed to admit her,
>> > and at 1530 a bed came free.
>>

>> > Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.
>>

>> And I thought I just had a long day. I hope Melody gets better as soon
>> as possible because whatever she's got sounds _awful_.

>> > And I'm _tired_: been up since 0130 taking care of my other half.
>>

>> Professionals are taking care of her now. Get some sleep.

> Beg pardon for the intrusion - while in recovery I generally feel it
> appropriate only to lurk - but now that the crisis is over, I feel I should
> remind the assembled BOFHen of the level of competence the esteemed members
> of this group /normally/ ascribe to 'professionals'. I think several
> individuals who habitually maintain the asr reference level of cynicism must
> have been unbalanced by a sudden and unexpected flood of sympathy to their
> normally stony hearts.

Indeed. In sober fact, I think that anyone who is a patient in a hospital
needs someone sitting with himherit all the time, as protection against
the all-too-frequent visits from the FuckUp Fairy and the Incompetence
Brigade. I was quite concerned about being sick myself because it meant
that I couldn't do that for Melody.

--
Mike Andrews
mi...@mikea.ath.cx, mand...@odot.org

Steve VanDevender

Mar 4, 2006, 5:31:33 PM3/4/06
"Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> writes:

Your sentiment is very much in character for an experienced sysadmin,
but consider that if your users insisted on hanging around in the
machine room while you worked on the systems claiming that they were
providing you "protection against the all-too-frequent visits from the
FuckUp Fairy and the Incompetence Brigade" you'd have them thrown out in
an instant. Hospitals at least realize that patients generally benefit
from the presence of their friends and loved ones and tend to be
generous about allowing visits unless those would put a patient in
greater danger.

And if you were sick yourself then you really should consider that you
were potentially exposing other patients in the hospital to that
illness, and it's hard enough for hospitals to keep their patients from
infecting each other, let alone prevent visitors from bringing in new
contagions.

Having spent a lot of time in hospitals myself I certainly won't say
that doctors and nurses are unfailingly competent. And I understand why
you wanted to stay with Melody, but my advice was fully considered. You
did everything right to make sure Melody got proper treatment, while you
were sick and exhausted yourself. But once you've done what you had to
do you should recognize you're not going to stay competent unless you
also take care of yourself.

--
Steve VanDevender "I ride the big iron" http://hexadecimal.uoregon.edu/
ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu PGP keyprint 4AD7AF61F0B9DE87 522902969C0A7EE8
Little things break, circuitry burns / Time flies while my little world turns
Every day comes, every day goes / 100 years and nobody shows -- Happy Rhodes

Shalon Wood

Mar 4, 2006, 6:53:42 PM3/4/06
"Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> writes:

> Indeed. In sober fact, I think that anyone who is a patient in a hospital
> needs someone sitting with himherit all the time, as protection against
> the all-too-frequent visits from the FuckUp Fairy and the Incompetence
> Brigade. I was quite concerned about being sick myself because it meant
> that I couldn't do that for Melody.

Oh, _fsck_ yes.

Because otherwise you risk things like, oh, having an antibiotic
you're badly allergic to administered IV.

Not that this happened to a friend of mine, or anything. Especially
not at the VA hospital here in Dallas.

And then there's what happened to Vel in Charity in New Orleans, which
I still, in my considered opinion, think was a murder attempt. You
simply cannot miss a lung full of fluids when you're doing daily chest
x-rays.

Shalon Wood

--
Check out Strange Love -- an ezine of science fiction, fantasy, and
paranormal erotica. Only $2 for more than 20,000 words of fiction!

http://strangelove.pele.cx

TimC

Mar 4, 2006, 9:57:34 PM3/4/06
On 2006-03-03, Mike Andrews (aka Bruce)

> She's sprung! We just got home. She's still running a fever, and her
> BP still is wildly variable, but she's home. The world is back in
> order again. Bland diet for a week, see the GP in 2 weeks, call if
> any problems, activities as she can tolerate them.

Good luck to her.

> I dicked my hand up this afternoon, probably pulled a chip loose from
> a hand or finger bone where a tendon inserts or attaches, but I'm used
> to those.

You really should get better quality IC sockets for your bionic hand
then, shouldn't you? Or, if your not planning on upgrading soon, just
solder them in and be done with it.

--
TimC
> aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes
And here I thought it was the fear of robotic Japanese dogs.
-- Tom "Tom" Harrington

Message has been deleted

David Cameron Staples

Mar 5, 2006, 6:10:54 PM3/5/06
In Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:03:14 +0000, Anthony de Boer - USEnet
(ab...@leftmind.net (Anthony de Boer - USEnet)) in hoc locum scripsit:

> TimC posted thus:
>> Mike Andrews posted:

>>> I dicked my hand up this afternoon, probably pulled a chip loose from
>>> a hand or finger bone where a tendon inserts or attaches, but I'm used
>>> to those.
>>
>>You really should get better quality IC sockets for your bionic hand
>>then, shouldn't you? Or, if your not planning on upgrading soon, just
>>solder them in and be done with it.
>

> I'm sitting here recovering from the shock of discovering that Mike's
> not using glowbottle logic for that.

Well, obviously he *has* upgraded at some point, but those 74LS04s are
probably getting a bit tired...

--
David Cameron Staples | staples AT cs DOT mu DOT oz DOT au
Melbourne University | Computer Science | Technical Services

Lionel

Mar 5, 2006, 10:46:44 PM3/5/06
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:10:54 GMT, David Cameron Staples
<sta...@csse.unimelb.edu.au.SPAM> opined:

>In Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:03:14 +0000, Anthony de Boer - USEnet
>(ab...@leftmind.net (Anthony de Boer - USEnet)) in hoc locum scripsit:
>
>> TimC posted thus:
>>> Mike Andrews posted:
>>>
>>>You really should get better quality IC sockets for your bionic hand
>>>then, shouldn't you? Or, if your not planning on upgrading soon, just
>>>solder them in and be done with it.
>>
>> I'm sitting here recovering from the shock of discovering that Mike's
>> not using glowbottle logic for that.
>
>Well, obviously he *has* upgraded at some point, but those 74LS04s are
>probably getting a bit tired...

74LSxx series?? - I didn't know he'd upgraded from DTL! ;)

Joshua Baker-LePain

Mar 6, 2006, 11:47:07 AM3/6/06
On 2006-03-01, Mike Andrews <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

> At 1300 the ER doc and her doc (called at home) agreed to admit her,
> and at 1530 a bed came free. She's in room 5074 in the local hospital,
> still puking herself inside out in spite of _lots_ of IV Zofran and
> Phenergan. I'm more than a bit concerned, since she had something very
> like this (minus the diarrhea) about a year back and damaged the
> oesophagus with all the acid from the stomach contents.
>
> Good thoughts, etc., will be very welcome.

And you have them from this mostly lurker. As everyone else has said,
get yourself some rest when you can. And may her recovery be swift
and complete.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Corlett

Mar 9, 2006, 3:25:37 PM3/9/06
Tanuki <mailer...@canismajor.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> [2]I'm told that they exist though a prolonged quest in the company of
> native guides has yet to reveal their location. We did find a couple of
> decent curry-houses though.

I did once encounter a bit of Salford that wasn't a complete shithole.
Unfortunately, I am not in a position to reveal its location.

Nadchester itself is kind of pretty in an industrial concrete kind of way.

--
Q: How many hackers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Zero. Nobody knew they were there.

Chris Suslowicz

Mar 9, 2006, 4:38:43 PM3/9/06
In intercept <duq301$gog$1...@mooli.org.uk>,
ab...@dopiaza.cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett) admitted:

>I did once encounter a bit of Salford that wasn't a complete shithole.
>Unfortunately, I am not in a position to reveal its location.
>
>Nadchester itself is kind of pretty in an industrial concrete kind of way.

It also has a fine Science Museum, complete with "Dougal" an AEW Shackelton.

(Apparently they were _all_ named after the Magic Roundabout characters. I
pity the crew(s) who flew "Mr Rusty".)

Chris.

--
"Shub-Internet, Great Beast of a Thousand Processes, Avatar of Line
Noise and Imp of Call Waiting, the hideous multi-tendriled entity

Message has been deleted

Howard S Shubs

Mar 11, 2006, 2:37:30 PM3/11/06
In article <slrne167...@thinkpad.nowster.org.uk>,
Paul Martin <p...@zetnet.net> wrote:

> I'll give that one a punt.

Ever tried my Kitty Litter Cam? Okay, I never actually implemented it,
but I really like the idea.

Message has been deleted

Joseph Bender

Mar 12, 2006, 10:35:30 PM3/12/06
In article <4406b05e$0$11075$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>,
maa...@kittensandcats.net says...

>There is a 5-litre jerry-can in the cupboard under the stairs that
>proclaims being filled with spring water. At one point it was. Then
>we needed convenient storage for all the nice rum we wanted to bring
>back from Spain.

You are Dr. Sane[1] and I claim my Wave Motion Gun.

(Okay, I know there really isn't a R that can be S'd, but I couldn't pass
up a reference to "spring water" and alcoholic beverages without invoking
the old Star Blazers joke.)

[1] Or Doctor Sakezoh Sado for the pedantic fanboys.

--
Joseph C. Bender
jay cee bender residing on benderhome period net

Stuart Lamble

Mar 12, 2006, 11:18:19 PM3/12/06
On 2006-03-13, Joseph Bender <jcbe...@theobvious.benderhome.net> wrote:
> (Okay, I know there really isn't a R that can be S'd, but I couldn't pass
> up a reference to "spring water" and alcoholic beverages without invoking
> the old Star Blazers joke.)

I had the opportunity, some years back, to download (legitimately,
believe it or not) some of the episodes of Star Blazers. I did so. And
watched them.

My $DEITY, it was *bad*.

Should I ever have the opportunity to see a subtitled version of
"Space Battleship Yamato" (I think it's called), I'm not sure if I
should accept, or run away screaming in terror. (Yes, I know how much
the original was butchered by the American dub. That's why I'm
uncertain. I'm sure as hell not going to watch the dubbed version
again.)

Message has been deleted

Seth Breidbart

Apr 11, 2006, 6:47:53 PM4/11/06
In article <slrne19skb....@carousel.its.monash.edu.au>,
Stuart Lamble <7d6-...@carousel.its.monash.edu.au> wrote:

>Should I ever have the opportunity to see a subtitled version of
>"Space Battleship Yamato" (I think it's called), I'm not sure if I
>should accept, or run away screaming in terror. (Yes, I know how much
>the original was butchered by the American dub. That's why I'm
>uncertain. I'm sure as hell not going to watch the dubbed version
>again.)

You want Nick Pollatta and Phil Foglio's dubbed version, "You Say
Yamato".

Seth

Brian Kantor

Apr 11, 2006, 7:30:44 PM4/11/06
>You want Nick Pollatta and Phil Foglio's dubbed version, "You Say
>Yamato".

Attack of the Killer Yamato.
- Brian