Straight Eight on ebay (6 months ago)

Robert Krten

Nov 27, 2008, 2:22:23 PM11/27/08
... anyone see what it went for? Supposedly, it sold within
a few hours using buy it now...

Cheers,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PDP-8 collector looking for PDP-8 and PDP-8/S
minicomputers; check out their good home at www.pdp12.org

Pontus

Dec 9, 2008, 4:18:33 PM12/9/08
Robert Krten wrote:
> ... anyone see what it went for? Supposedly, it sold within
> a few hours using buy it now...
>
> Cheers,
> -RK

I usually keep an eye out for DEC-stuff on ebay, but this one must have
slipped by. Sorry, I know how much you want one.

Regards,
Pontus.

Mike Ross

Dec 15, 2008, 10:37:42 PM12/15/08
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:22:23 +0000, info...@parse.com (Robert Krten) wrote:

>... anyone see what it went for? Supposedly, it sold within
>a few hours using buy it now...

Is the straight eight the only one you're missing from your collection?

Would be interesting to see how many are still around, compared with 8/S - I've
heard the /S is actually rarer...

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'As I walk along these shores

Robert Krten

Dec 16, 2008, 8:30:19 AM12/16/08
Mike Ross <mi...@corestore.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:22:23 +0000, info...@parse.com (Robert Krten) wrote:

> >... anyone see what it went for? Supposedly, it sold within
> >a few hours using buy it now...

> Is the straight eight the only one you're missing from your collection?

> Would be interesting to see how many are still around, compared with 8/S
> - I've heard the /S is actually rarer...

Alas, I'm missing both (i.e., I have no transistor 8's) :-(

But apart from that, I have everything :-)

cjl

Dec 20, 2008, 9:14:34 AM12/20/08
On Dec 16, 8:30 am, info2...@parse.com (Robert Krten) wrote:
> Mike Ross <m...@corestore.org> wrote:

> > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:22:23 +0000, info2...@parse.com (Robert Krten) wrote:
> > >... anyone see what it went for?  Supposedly, it sold within
> > >a few hours using buy it now...
> > Is the straight eight the only one you're missing from your collection?
> > Would be interesting to see how many are still around, compared with 8/S
> > - I've heard the /S is actually rarer...
>
> Alas, I'm missing both (i.e., I have no transistor 8's) :-(
>
> But apart from that, I have everything :-)
>
> Cheers,
> -RK
> --
> Robert Krten, PDP-8 collector looking for PDP-8 and PDP-8/S
> minicomputers; check out their good home atwww.pdp12.org

Somehow that doesn't ring true.

cjl [who has FOUR or FIVE Linc-8's, admittedly there isn't much hope
of the last one or two ever being whole again, but makes a lot of good
spares for the others; first one has 8K; it and a second 4K machine
are modified to allow P?S/8 and OS/8 to run on them without requiring
any additional memory; P?S/8 can run on either and OS/8 can run on the
8K one; it's real hard to get more than 8K on a Linc-8. These two
machines have been run relatively recently; Reasonable to expect
little to no work on them to get them up 100%. Clearly a third is
present sufficiently to be resurrected back to DEC factory, but would
still lack the modifications; a fourth is theoretically possible with
a lot of cosmetic problems; the fifth will not be a machine for
numerous for-want-of-a-nail reasons that are to keep the rest alive,
etc. It has been presented to another for storage, etc. and is known
to be in bad shape, etc. Sort-of analogous to my RK05 drive that has
a dozen things wrong with it; mostly stuff stripped out to get some
other drives totally working, etc.]