How to Install a PCI Video Card in a Dell Dimension 2400

Tim

Feb 7, 2004, 5:28:26 PM2/7/04
How to Install a PCI Video Card in a Dell Dimension 2400

This is a brief explanation of how I got a PCI video card working in
my Dell Dimension 2400. Once I discovered the "secret", its very
simple procedure. There seems to be some confusion.

First, myth busting...

1. You are not upgrading the on-board video.
2. You are not replacing the on-board video.
3. You do not need to disable the on-board video.
4. You do not need to enter the system setup (BIOS).
5. You do not need to find a jumper on the mother board.
6. You do not need to update the BIOS.
7. And, most importantly, you DEFINITELY do not need to disable the
integrated display adapter in the Windows XP Device Manager. DO NOT
DO THIS!!!!

Here's reality...

1. You are installing a second display adapter in an empty PCI slot.
2. You are configuring a multiple display adapter and monitor system.
3. The Dell Dimension 2400 is set by default to handle multiple
display adapters and monitors.
4. The configuration is done in Windows XP not the BIOS.

My hardware and software is...

Dell Dimension 2400
XFX GeForce FX 5200 128MB PCI
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Before installation...

By default, the Dell Dimension 2400 is setup to handle multiple
display adapters and monitors. There is no reason to enter the system
setup utility. For the curious, the Integrated Devices | Primary
Video Controller option is of concern here. It has two settings:
ONBOARD and AUTO. If the Primary Video Controller option is AUTO
(default), the POST and BIOS messages are displayed to the on-board
video, unless a PCI video card is present. Then, the messages are
displayed to the PCI video card instead. If the Primary Video
Controller option is ONBOARD, the POST and BIOS messages are displayed
to the on-board video only. THIS SETTING HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO
WITH DISABLING THE ON-BOARD VIDEO CONTROLLER!!!!

General instructions...

Follow the installation instructions for your PCI video card. If
possible, connect a monitor to each display adapter. This way, you
can see which display adapter is working and which one is not. Also,
this is how I discovered what was going on here. Once the hardware
and drivers are installed, it's time to configure Windows XP.

Use Control Panel | Display to configure Windows XP. I'll leave the
rest to Microsoft...

HOW TO: Configure and Use Multiple Monitors in Window XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307873#3

HOW TO: Change the Primary Monitor
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/display_multi_monitors_select_primary.asp

When finished, the video card software utility should work. All video
cards have some type of software utility. If it works, your done.
You now have a dandy, inexpensive home PC capable of playing the
latest games. Enjoy.

Hank Arnold

Feb 8, 2004, 4:32:17 AM2/8/04
Yet another reason to never recommend the 2400 to a PC novice....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Tim" <timnan...@netscape.net> wrote in message

S.Lewis

Feb 8, 2004, 10:10:59 PM2/8/04

"Hank Arnold" <ras...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Yet another reason to never recommend the 2400 to a PC novice....
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold

Long live the AGP slot.