Frugal kerosene / lamp oil substitute

Stormin Mormon

Oct 29, 2007, 11:38:27 PM10/29/07
http://www.endtimesreport.com/kero_lamp_test.html

Large center draft lamps will burn kerosene, but they were actually designed
to burn "low odor mineral spirits." The same "lamp fuel" is available today.
The package is marked "Paint Thinner with Low Odor Mineral Spirits." ["Low
Odor" then meant low sulfur content.] It works just as well in center lamps.
Virtually no odor, no tar buildup, wicks seldom have to be trimmed, the
flame is a nice bright white (see lamp above on the left), and it's less
expensive than hardware store kerosene! It also stores extremely well.

Any quality lamp will burn brighter with less fumes and wick charring when
burning mineral spirits.

One typical hardware store was selling "Paint Thinner with Low Odor Mineral
Spirits" for $4.19 per gallon...and "Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil" for $19.95
per gallon. 80% cheaper, and better quality fuel. And that's the answer for
when the power is out, and you're out of lamp oil. Go to the cellar, and get
the jug of mineral spirits from the cellar.

What's not to like?

--

Christopher A. Young
.

the_blogologist

Oct 29, 2007, 11:55:15 PM10/29/07
There's a lot of fuels that will burn in a kerosene lamp that gives off
poisonous fumes. I think i'll stick with the more modern improvement.

Offbreed

Oct 30, 2007, 10:30:43 AM10/30/07
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> http://www.endtimesreport.com/kero_lamp_test.html
>

> Large center draft lamps

I've never heard the term before.

Frank Gilliland

Oct 30, 2007, 12:23:42 PM10/30/07
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:38:27 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung###++++***@hotmail.com> wrote in
<472699fc$0$32507$4c36...@roadrunner.com>:

<snip>

>One typical hardware store was selling "Paint Thinner with Low Odor Mineral
>Spirits" for $4.19 per gallon...and "Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil" for $19.95
>per gallon. 80% cheaper, and better quality fuel. And that's the answer for
>when the power is out, and you're out of lamp oil. Go to the cellar, and get
>the jug of mineral spirits from the cellar.
>
>What's not to like?

Sounded kinda iffy so I googled it. Someone already compared MSDS
sheets, but I checked a few more just to be sure and compared it to
kerosene:

Oderless Mineral Spirits (I'll refer to it as OMS) is 100% aliphatic
hydrocarbons, meaning no aromatics. The aromatic content of kerosene
is variable and can be high. (Aromatics burn 'dirty' and are the major
source of soot and/or carbon monoxide when the flame is too high. Many
aromatics, like benzene and napthalene, are also carcinogens.)

The processes used to make aliphatic runs virtually eliminate sulfur
content. Sulfur in kerosene is variable and can be high (and gives it
that characteristic smell even after complete combustion).

OMS does not polymerize, a process that makes kerosene (and gasoline)
go bad. Therefore, OMS should store indefinitely if kept dry.

Flash point and autoignition temperature are comparable with kerosene.
Boiling point for OMS is in the low range of that for kerosene.

So...... it looks to me like OMS will work just fine and is probably
safer than kerosene as far as pollution is concerned. I don't think I
would crank up the Embury with it in 90 degree heat, but I would have
no problem using it in my Coleman 201. In fact, after this, I intend
to do just that. And it should be safer for some plastics that soften
on exposure to aromatics.

Oh, and note that I'm talking about ODORLESS mineral spirits. That's
not the same as LOW ODOR mineral spirits which have a small content of
sulfur and aromatics.

Stormin Mormon

Oct 30, 2007, 12:31:58 PM10/30/07
That would be equal parts of carbon tetrachloride and uranium?

So, what do you use?

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"the_blogologist" <nob...@nowheres.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Oct 30, 2007, 12:44:11 PM10/30/07
I also had not heard of those. Someone smarter than myself made a tubular
wick, which draws air from outside and inside both. Seriously clever.

I'd also not heard of using mineral spirits in a wick lamp.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Offbreed" <offbre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Oct 30, 2007, 2:51:50 PM10/30/07
On Oct 29, 10:38?pm, "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung###++++...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I don't fool with burning lanterns or candles any more. Went over to
LED lights and use solar chargers for the NMHD batteries if the power
is out. Sure I still have lanterns and have tons of candles, but when
LED's came along they overshadowed all the other stuff and are much
safer.

My main lighting foundation is an Eveready flip style led camp light I
bought at Walmart for $8. Works great, have 6 of them...sorry no
links. They are in the flashlight section. Has hi / low setting and
claims a burn time of 130 hrs on 4 AA's at low setting. Also has a
mirror backing to reflect light and increase power output.

CMG Infinity Task Light is a great one to suck the batteries dry after
the big lights dim out. I put the just about useless drained batteries
in the CMG Infinity Task Light and still get some mileage from these
batteries. I hang the light around my neck or it can be clipped on a
hat.

http://chaseharper.stores.yahoo.net/cmginfw.html

Cabelas makes a 1/2 watt 12 lumens led for $10 that is a good basic
light with 'claimed burn time' of 12 hours. And this one below for $20
for 65 lumens of power. It has 6 hours of 'claimed burn time' and is
pretty bright.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0045670517716a.shtml

I have tested the both models and have had no problems. The 3 watt is
an outstanding value in my opinion and is my basic flashlight.

I also use these for diving. They take 4 AA's and are super bright.

http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2010

Surefire makes the best lights...the only problem is proprietary
lithium batteries and they cost a tons of money. I don't use them,
cause of the battery issue. AA's are all over the place...not so with
Surefire batteries when TEOTWAK arrives.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/16/sesent/00

I use 3 and 6 led headband lights. Many styles - here is just one.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Black+Diamond/idesc/Icon+Headlamp/Store/MG/item/112158/N/0

BTW, super bright flashlights make good self defense tools in
emergencies if you got nothing else. They will blind an attacker at
night for a few moments. I'm talking about 65 lumens and preferably
higher!

Take care,

V (Male)

Agnostic Freethinker
Practical Philosopher
Futurist

Stormin Mormon

Oct 31, 2007, 8:30:31 PM10/31/07
"V" <vf...@aol.com> wrote in message

I don't fool with burning lanterns or candles any more. Went over to
LED lights and use solar chargers for the NMHD batteries if the power
is out. Sure I still have lanterns and have tons of candles, but when
LED's came along they overshadowed all the other stuff and are much
safer.

CY: The one thing LED won't do is distance. Perhaps the Mag bulb substitutes
may, but a Harbor Freight light with 15 LED is a very short range light.
When compared to a 4D cell mag light.

My main lighting foundation is an Eveready flip style led camp light I
bought at Walmart for $8. Works great, have 6 of them...sorry no
links. They are in the flashlight section. Has hi / low setting and
claims a burn time of 130 hrs on 4 AA's at low setting. Also has a
mirror backing to reflect light and increase power output.

CY: 130 hours is five days. How about get back to us and let us know if they
really do five days?

CMG Infinity Task Light is a great one to suck the batteries dry after
the big lights dim out. I put the just about useless drained batteries
in the CMG Infinity Task Light and still get some mileage from these
batteries. I hang the light around my neck or it can be clipped on a
hat.

http://chaseharper.stores.yahoo.net/cmginfw.html

CY: I've got one of these, havn't yet needed it. But, it's nice to have the
ability to run batteries down low. I wonder if the NIte Ize or Teralux does
the same thing?

Cabelas makes a 1/2 watt 12 lumens led for $10 that is a good basic
light with 'claimed burn time' of 12 hours. And this one below for $20
for 65 lumens of power. It has 6 hours of 'claimed burn time' and is
pretty bright.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0045670517716a.shtml

CY: And it's a blue haze light, not white like filaments, or teralux. It's
also too large to fit in my pants pocket.

I have tested the both models and have had no problems. The 3 watt is
an outstanding value in my opinion and is my basic flashlight.

I also use these for diving. They take 4 AA's and are super bright.

http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2010

Surefire makes the best lights...the only problem is proprietary
lithium batteries and they cost a tons of money. I don't use them,
cause of the battery issue. AA's are all over the place...not so with
Surefire batteries when TEOTWAK arrives.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/16/sesent/00

CY: I'm not sure I'd like that. Do they take CR-123?

I use 3 and 6 led headband lights. Many styles - here is just one.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Black+Diamond/idesc/Icon+Headlamp/Store/MG/item/112158/N/0

CY: I've had good results with the cheap headlight from Harbor Freight.
Remove the filament bulb, and put in a Nite Ize conversion for mini mag, and
it's both bright, and also AA cell operated.

none2u

Nov 1, 2007, 1:11:32 AM11/1/07

"V" <vf...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Last time I checked ( Last Week)Low odor mineral spirits were $10 a gallon
> at Home Depot and Loews. Denatured Alcohol was $14.99 That $4.19 quote
> is from Miles Stairs wick site. Its kinda old. Clear K1 is $2.99 here.
> Super clean Lamp oil is what most people buy that's not supposed to be
> used in kerosene lamps or lanterns because it gums up the wicks. Low odor
> mineral spirits do burn very clean. Regular mineral spirits , naphtha,
> rubber solvent do the same. Its not cost effective , unless you have a
> business selling wicks or lamps. Or don't use lamps much

JakeD

Nov 1, 2007, 2:16:46 AM11/1/07
On 30 Oct 2007 11:51:50 -0700, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:

>I don't fool with burning lanterns or candles any more. Went over to
>LED lights and use solar chargers for the NMHD batteries

I read that NiMH batteries can be recharged about 500 to 1000 times
before needing to be replaced. Anyone agree? How about small sealed
lead acid batteries? Do they last as long? Longer?

JD

Retief

Nov 2, 2007, 12:48:07 AM11/2/07
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 06:16:46 +0000, JakeD <Ja...@vjfcjcvfv.com> wrote:

>>I don't fool with burning lanterns or candles any more. Went over to
>>LED lights and use solar chargers for the NMHD batteries
>
>I read that NiMH batteries can be recharged about 500 to 1000 times
>before needing to be replaced. Anyone agree? How about small sealed
>lead acid batteries? Do they last as long? Longer?

See:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
http://www.buchmann.ca/

and:
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_NiCd_Battery.html
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_Battery_info.html
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_Battery.html

And last, but not least William Darden's Battery FAQ:
http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Retief

Stormin Mormon

Nov 2, 2007, 4:15:27 PM11/2/07
Would any of those replace kerosene or lamp oil?

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Retief" <nos...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Retief

Nov 4, 2007, 1:31:56 AM11/4/07
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:30:31 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung###++++***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't fool with burning lanterns or candles any more. Went over to
>LED lights and use solar chargers for the NMHD batteries if the power
>is out. Sure I still have lanterns and have tons of candles, but when
>LED's came along they overshadowed all the other stuff and are much
>safer.
>
>CY: The one thing LED won't do is distance. Perhaps the Mag bulb substitutes
>may, but a Harbor Freight light with 15 LED is a very short range light.
>When compared to a 4D cell mag light.

My 2D Cell, 3W LED in a Maglite beats the incandescent hands down --
much brighter, in addition to being _white_ rather than rather yellow
light. One of them got rather dim the other day, and I tried a
standard bulb in what was left of the batteries -- it would barely
light (so you get longer run time from the LED as well).

I have a Mini-mag, also with a 3W LED, as well as a different brand
using 3 AAA batteries. All of them are _great_.

>My main lighting foundation is an Eveready flip style led camp light I
>bought at Walmart for $8. Works great, have 6 of them...sorry no

My most commonly used flashlight is a little Rayovac LED. Not bright,
but quite adequate and runs "forever"...

Retief

Retief

Nov 4, 2007, 1:33:00 AM11/4/07
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:15:27 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung###++++***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Would any of those replace kerosene or lamp oil?

Why yes they would. You wouldn't need oil, since you'd be using
battery powered lamps for lighting.

Retief

Message has been deleted

Stormin Mormon

Nov 4, 2007, 6:40:42 AM11/4/07
Thanks for the field report. Those are pricey, at about $40 for the flash
light. But, it may well be worth the money. Some Teralux are white, and some
LED are what I call "blue fog". So, the crisp white is good to hear.

How's your 2D compare to a 6 volt lantern, for example?

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Retief" <nos...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

batesnathan

Nov 4, 2007, 7:37:34 PM11/4/07

"Retief" <nos...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We use both. Just today, bought 2 Dietz Jr.'s and a big Lamplight Farms, all
still new in the boxes for $5 each. Also picked up a new 9 LED flashlight
for $3.75 to add to the collection.
One of the handiest things we have tho, is a rechargeable fluorescent
lantern, the battery is built in, and recharges from a wall wart or a 12
volt lighter socket. Runs for a LONG time on a charge. Picked up a bunch of
extra (Coleman) tubes for it on clearance at Wal-Mart for a quarter each!
NB

Stormin Mormon

Nov 4, 2007, 8:04:09 PM11/4/07
Was that the expensive Mag brand conversion bulb, or the cheaper Brinkman?

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Bart Bailey" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

I got one of the 2cell 3w LED replacement bulbs awhile back and decided
to use it in the 2C rather than the 2D because it fits the hand better.
I've still got the 2D with an incandescent bulb in it but likely won't
ever use it again. And you're right, the LED outfitted torch is by far
the best I have, can be focused like before, but brighter and whiter.

Retief

Nov 5, 2007, 12:30:42 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:37:34 -0600, "batesnathan"
<bates...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>>Would any of those replace kerosene or lamp oil?
>>
>> Why yes they would. You wouldn't need oil, since you'd be using
>> battery powered lamps for lighting.
>

>We use both. Just today, bought 2 Dietz Jr.'s and a big Lamplight Farms, all
>still new in the boxes for $5 each. Also picked up a new 9 LED flashlight
>for $3.75 to add to the collection.
>One of the handiest things we have tho, is a rechargeable fluorescent
>lantern, the battery is built in, and recharges from a wall wart or a 12

I actually prefer something that uses a standard battery, so I can
install NiMH cells (or standard alkaline cells, if needed).

I _hate_ those devices with proprietary built in cells...

Retief

Retief

Nov 5, 2007, 12:30:42 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 20:04:09 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung###++++***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Was that the expensive Mag brand conversion bulb, or the cheaper Brinkman?

If it was the 3W, it was the expensive bulb. I think they're just
under $20 at Walmart -- but I think they're worth it.

It runs brighter, runs longer (i.e. the battery goes very dead before
the light output droops visibly)... And being an LED, it _should_ be
more rugged and shock resistant (I haven't tried driving nails with my
LED Maglite to find out yet... ;)

I did pick up one of the Brinkman LEDs. They're OK, and primarily
designed to put in your flashlight in an emergency (like when your
battery goes dead for the incandescent). Light output is comparable
to most standard single LED flashlights (e.g. those little 1 AAA
Dorcys).

Retief

Retief

Nov 5, 2007, 12:30:42 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 06:40:42 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung###++++***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the field report. Those are pricey, at about $40 for the flash
>light. But, it may well be worth the money. Some Teralux are white, and some

You can buy just the LED bulb (I think $18 at Walmart). Pick the
appropriate one for your flashlight model (2D, 3D, 4D, etc...)

>LED are what I call "blue fog". So, the crisp white is good to hear.
>
>How's your 2D compare to a 6 volt lantern, for example?

I don't have a 6V lantern -- decided to standardize to conventional
round cells (which allows me to substitute NiMH in everything). Though
you can get adapter packages that use standard D cells to create a
square 6V "cell" (an old 6V lantern we owned had one).

The 3W LED is bright enough that my wife now uses it almost
exclusively, rather than haul out her million candlepower spotlight...
I don't recall the last time I saw her use the spotlight.

I think that my somewhat older 1W Dorcy has light output comparable to
a 2D Maglite with a standard bulb.

Retief

Message has been deleted

Offbreed

Nov 5, 2007, 11:17:28 PM11/5/07
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> One typical hardware store was selling "Paint Thinner with Low Odor Mineral
> Spirits" for $4.19 per gallon...

The local "True Value" hardware store is selling that for $25 for
2.5gal, and kerosene for $27/2.5gal.

Nathan Bates

Nov 6, 2007, 3:31:04 AM11/6/07

Re: Frugal kerosene / lamp oil substitute

Group: alt.survival Date: Mon, Nov 5, 2007, 8:17pm (CST-2) From:
offbre...@hotmail.com (Offbreed)

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One typical hardware store was selling "Paint Thinner with Low Odor
Mineral Spirits" for $4.19 per gallon...

The local "True Value" hardware store is selling that for $25 for
2.5gal, and kerosene for $27/2.5gal.

$3.89 a gallon today at the Shell station in middle TN for K-1. Got
enough to fillall my kero lamps and Dietz lanterns. Winters coming, it
WILL go up due to so many people using kerosene heaters....
NB

Stormin Mormon

Nov 6, 2007, 9:02:14 PM11/6/07
Thanks for the field report. I ahvn't checked prices in NYS, but likely much
the same.

--

I'm Christopher A. Young;
and, I approved this message.