Things to do with one hand

Stormin Mormon

Sep 20, 2010, 9:56:04 PM9/20/10
Pick your left nostril
Stir a pot of soup
Operate a channel clicker remote control
Type half an email
Itch your butt
Swat flies with a fly swatter
Turn electric lights on and off
Answer the phone, but refuse to write down who called
Express your opinions of elected officials

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

DogDiesel

Sep 20, 2010, 10:40:52 PM9/20/10

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61##spamblock**@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Give everyone the finger.
Ride a motorcycle
Type, oh wait, that's one finger:)

well when you lace and tie your combat boots with one hand I will clap.
Or drive a manual steering, manual shift, manual choke , manual brakes,
pickup truck.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 20, 2010, 10:55:09 PM9/20/10
Did that pickup come with an owners manual?

Can you ride a MC one-handed, and flip everyone off at the same time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DogDiesel" <nos...@nospam.none>

robert bowman

Sep 20, 2010, 11:41:16 PM9/20/10
Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Can you ride a MC one-handed, and flip everyone off at the same time?

When I'm really bored, I tighten down the throttle lock, stick both arms
out, and play airplane. Tailgaters usally drop way back.

My uncle had a stroke and lost the use of his right arm. It took a while,
but eventually he became adept at opening beer cans with a church key. He
might have to chase the can around a bit, but eventually he caught up with
the sucker. Never underestimate what a determined man can do with one arm.

robert bowman

Sep 20, 2010, 11:43:48 PM9/20/10
DogDiesel wrote:

> Or drive a manual steering, manual shift, manual choke , manual brakes,
> pickup   truck.

I drove my manual pickup with my left leg in a cast. I could run the clutch
with a piece of PVC in my left hand, but I was real busy when it came time
to shift. It didn't have a manual choke, but that wouldn't have been a big
deal.

DogDiesel

Sep 21, 2010, 2:51:05 AM9/21/10

> Did that pickup come with an owners manual?

Nope it came with a manual liftgate though.

> Can you ride a MC one-handed, and flip everyone off at the same time?

i can barely ride one with both hands.

Gunner Asch

Sep 21, 2010, 3:49:20 AM9/21/10
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:41:16 -0600, robert bowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:

Indeed. I installed alarm systems, start to finish with one arm, before
my first back surgery. This btw..included climbing ladders.

I competed in several pistol competitions and came in 2nd and 3rd, which
included reloading both revolvers and semiautos and killed, butchered
and packed out a number of wild boar with one arm.

Having only one arm functional is a pain in the ass. Really. But..its
not the end of the world.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Stormin Mormon

Sep 21, 2010, 8:43:17 AM9/21/10
Years ago, one of the fellows speaking to the congregation. Told of
how his father had helped one day, shingling a roof for one of the
members. Lots and lots of pounding nails. Sure enough, a day or two
later, his arm was very sore. He went to the doctor, who didn't do a
very good patient interview. The doctor concluded that he had some
sort of rare bone disease, and decided to amputate the fellow's right
arm. Anyone with a lick of sense could see that's a bit over kill.
That was a clear case of "take two aspirin and call me in the morning"
would have been the proper Rx. Anyhow, the fellow went through life
with one hand. Even managed to figure out how to tie a neck tie one
handed. That's a trick I hope I never need.

The airplane trick on a motor cycle sounds fun. Dangerous, but fun.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"robert bowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Sep 21, 2010, 8:44:00 AM9/21/10
I've noticed some riders have the "monkey bars" handle bars, they have
to reach far above their own shoulder height to steer. That looks
uncomfortable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

robert bowman

Sep 21, 2010, 9:54:31 AM9/21/10
Gunner Asch wrote:

> I competed in several pistol competitions and came in 2nd and 3rd, which
> included reloading both revolvers and semiautos and killed, butchered
> and packed out a number of wild boar with one arm.

I had some sort of transient nerve thing last year that affected the grip
strength in my hand. The subcompact XD9 has a pretty stout set of springs
and the 'show clear' part was pretty awkward. Running the slide one handed
isn't too much fun either. The 1911 was no problem. Doing a one handed
drill every now and then is a good idea to discover any problems.

robert bowman

Sep 21, 2010, 9:59:39 AM9/21/10
Stormin Mormon wrote:

> I've noticed some riders have the "monkey bars" handle bars, they have
> to reach far above their own shoulder height to steer. That looks
> uncomfortable.

Yeah, but it's kewl. Real hardtails, extended springer forks, and paper thin
saddles are kewl too. A pain in the ass, but kewl. The more used term
is 'ape hangers', btw.

robert bowman

Sep 21, 2010, 10:10:46 AM9/21/10
Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Even managed to figure out how to tie a neck tie one
> handed. That's a trick I hope I never need.

That's a trick I hope I never need with two hands. Around here, if it's
wearing a tie, it's either a lawyer or a Mormon and should be avoided at
all costs.

> The airplane trick on a motor cycle sounds fun. Dangerous, but fun.

You wouldn't want to do it on a curvy road or in traffic, but on a straight
road with a good line of sight it isn't really dangerous. Motorcycles come
equipped with two large gyroscopes and most cruiser types prefer going
straight. Sport bikes with a twitchier steering geometry can be another
story, but they're pretty stable at road speeds too.

A few years ago, a guy riding the Iron Butt had a heart attack and fell off
his bike. It was sort of a mystery, because they found his bike leaning
against a guard rail where it had coasted to a top. The body was about a
half mile back down the road.

Gunner Asch

Sep 21, 2010, 1:02:54 PM9/21/10
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:59:39 -0600, robert bowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:

>Stormin Mormon wrote:

and they were illegal in many/most states for many years as I recall.

robert bowman

Sep 21, 2010, 10:38:10 PM9/21/10
Gunner Asch wrote:

> and they were illegal in many/most states for many  years as I recall.

In Kalifornia, at least. Of course, most of the hanging apes were in Cali. I
never cared much for the look, but it was better than that swoopy shit
every custom bike builder seems to be into today. Even some of the
manufacturers are going Buck Rodgers.

Gunner Asch

Sep 22, 2010, 4:20:43 AM9/22/10
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:38:10 -0600, robert bowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:

>Gunner Asch wrote:

My first 5-6 scooters were growing up in Michigan, and apehangers were
illegal in the very early 1970s.

As I recall..it was part of a crackdown on Angeles, Renegades and other
unsavory trash

DogDiesel

Sep 22, 2010, 5:37:18 AM9/22/10

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message

They arent illegal here. And they are called ape hangers.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 22, 2010, 9:42:56 AM9/22/10
I worry more about Jehovas Witnesses with a bible in the other hand.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"robert bowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message

robert bowman

Sep 22, 2010, 9:55:12 AM9/22/10
Gunner Asch wrote:

> As I recall..it was part of a crackdown on Angeles, Renegades and other
> unsavory trash

Yeah, as a scruffy, young, longhair, I became very familiar with motor
vehicle equipment regulations of all sorts, not that the cops were
profiling or anything. I had one state trooper who really wanted to turn
attaching the plates with wing nuts into some sort of violation but
couldn't make it stick. Lucky for me, the plates were actually on the right
vehicle that day.

"It increases my paranoia like looking in my mirror and seeing a police car"

'Almost Cut My Hair' David Crosby

robert bowman

Sep 22, 2010, 9:59:42 AM9/22/10
DogDiesel wrote:

> They arent illegal here. And they are called ape hangers.

I see them every now and then around here, but this state considers almost
anything with a valid plate to be legal. Writing equipment violations is
somewhere south of handing out jay walking tickets on the to do list.

robert bowman

Sep 22, 2010, 9:55:53 PM9/22/10
Stormin Mormon wrote:

> I worry more about Jehovas Witnesses with a bible in the other hand.

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I go by the Kingdom Hall
sometimes, so I guess they're around. I don't think they can compete with
the various off brand Protestants. One of them has an indoor skateboard
park for the kids, a stock car for the NASCAR dads, a restored '69 Charger
that looks like the General Lee but is called The Man of Galilee, and a
Christian Motorcyclists Association chapter, which is sort of a patch thing
for born agains. I don't know what they offer to the women. It's sort of
hard sell when all you've got to offer is a bible and the outside chance
you're one of the 144,000 lottery winners.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 23, 2010, 5:18:47 AM9/23/10
Now, that's a thought. I'm not sure what the JWs offer to women. Must
be something, the JW population seems to be growing. Maybe the appeal
is to be able to go to other peoples houses, and talk endlessly.

One LDS friend of mine, invited the JWs in. She'd just been studying
the new testament for the class she was teaching. The JWs were using
verse after verse out of context. And my friend had just read each of
the chapters they referenced. I'm guessing they never came back.
Sadly. They had encountered truth, but didn't seem interested, I'm
sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"robert bowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message

terryc

Sep 23, 2010, 12:06:19 PM9/23/10
robert bowman wrote:
> Stormin Mormon wrote:
>
>> I worry more about Jehovas Witnesses with a bible in the other hand.
>
> I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I go by the Kingdom Hall
> sometimes, so I guess they're around.

They might just not be on bicycles anymore.

robert bowman

Sep 23, 2010, 10:17:57 PM9/23/10
Stormin Mormon wrote:

> One LDS friend of mine, invited the JWs in. She'd just been studying
> the new testament for the class she was teaching. The JWs were using
> verse after verse out of context. And my friend had just read each of
> the chapters they referenced. I'm guessing they never came back.
> Sadly. They had encountered truth, but didn't seem interested, I'm
> sure.

They use their own translation, the New World Translation, sort of like you
pulling strange passages out of Smith's cut at the OT.

I once had a young JW couple as neighbors. I wasn't aware of it until they
invited me in one night for a meal and spiel. She was a pretty good cook so
the meal was good, but I passed on the spiel. They didn't press the issue.

They're not trinitarian, so I couldn't have any fun with that. There are
four classical trinitarian heresies with a few variations on the theme and,
given enough rope, many evangelicals will wander into one of them. JWs are
pretty much Arians and proud of it. Of course, the LDS tritheism kept
Romney busy tap dancing.

Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 23, 2010, 11:22:36 PM9/23/10
> the new testament for the class she was teaching. The JWs were using
> verse after verse out of context. And my friend had just read each
> of

They use their own translation, the New World Translation, sort of

like you
pulling strange passages out of Smith's cut at the OT.

CY: Of coruse, JS did a job on the new testament, too.

I once had a young JW couple as neighbors. I wasn't aware of it until
they
invited me in one night for a meal and spiel. She was a pretty good
cook so
the meal was good, but I passed on the spiel. They didn't press the
issue.

CY: Meal and spiel. I love it! I may use that in conversation soem
time.

They're not trinitarian, so I couldn't have any fun with that. There
are
four classical trinitarian heresies with a few variations on the theme
and,
given enough rope, many evangelicals will wander into one of them. JWs
are
pretty much Arians and proud of it.

CY: From what I know the JWs don't think Jesus was the messiah, just
a "perfect integrity keeper". Whatever that means.

Of course, the LDS tritheism kept
Romney busy tap dancing.

CY: Would have been nice if Mitt would just say what LDS Folks
believe, and let the cards fall wher they may.

Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus.

CY: Extra Excedrin nullifies sinus headaches!