Dog(Doody)Day Afternoon

1 view

Foon

Apr 9, 2001, 3:20:25 PM4/9/01
The glorious Spring weekend predicted on the Delmarva did not exactly showup on
time. Saturday was plain butt ugly with foggy drizzle, low clouds, and damp cold
winds off the ocean from the NE. We took in a movie while my mystery neighbor
spent 4 hours nursing a small crumbly swell in 42 degree water and
54 degree air.

Sunday dawned just as miserable with rain showers sweeping the beach, but the
swell bumped to waist-chest high with some nice angled lines coming in from the
SE. As the morning wore on winds came around WSW smoothing and glassing the now
attractive waves. In my entire view of the beach, approx a mile, I saw three
guys out.

Finally the sun came out beautifully and clearly, the air warmed up and I
decided to get a closer look at the chilly waves by taking a walk on the beach.
After a half hour tour of my favorite sandbars I stood in the dune crossing path
savoring my now once every two weeks stogie. Soon a woman with two kids showed
up to walk on the beach. She was walking the fattest German shepard I've ever
seen. Neither the owner nor the dog had missed many meals and I suspect the dog
ate as well as her master.

Within five feet of me the dog takes a huge dump, the kind that comes out like
soft ice cream and lands in a piled up nurdle on the ground. The woman proceeds
to start covering it with sand. I can't believe this:

"Aren't you going to pick up after your dog?" I asked non threateningly.
Even so by the tone of my voice the doggy gets the drift I'm not a long lost
friend and begins that rumbling growl thing.

"Well no, I don't have anything to do it with just now." The owner pleads.

"You should have thought of that before you brought your dog down here for a
walk on the beach. What did you think he was going to do?"
Alarmed looks from the owner and more growls from pooch.

"Well I'll just have to do it next time when I have something."

"I see at least 4 foodwrapper containers within 30 feet that would do the job
if you wanted to." This conclusion I knew was going nowhere.

"No, it'll just have to wait until the next time." She turned away to walk back
both dog and kids are now looking at me like I'm some kind of axe murderer.

"Well I hope there is no next time mame. And I really hope neither of your kids
has the misfortune to step in a dump like that."

They hurry off glancing over their shoulders making sure I don't follow them,
the mother probably speed dialing 911 on a cellphone clutched in her pocket.

It was such a glorious day until that little event. I feel defeated and unhappy
with the outcome. I am tempted to put a little flag on the pile proclaiming it's
origin and warning people to avoid it. Ultimately, I pocket my now extinguished
stogie butt, and scoop up the still fresh turd with a food wrapper and throw it
away in our dumpster.

Later from the balcony I watch a couple of completely neopreened locals coax the
last good waves from the evenings incoming tide. I notice the woman return to
the dunepath walkway and spend a good 5 minutes sifting the sand with hand rake
looking for her pooch's deposit. She eventualy gives up, but just the sight has
made my day; my dog doody day. Another tourist converted.

-Foondoody

Michael Sullivan

Apr 9, 2001, 5:15:11 PM4/9/01
Foon wrote:

snip, good job foon.

> Later from the balcony I watch a couple of completely neopreened locals coax the
> last good waves from the evenings incoming tide. I notice the woman return to
> the dunepath walkway and spend a good 5 minutes sifting the sand with hand rake
> looking for her pooch's deposit. She eventualy gives up, but just the sight has
> made my day; my dog doody day. Another tourist converted.

Nice tie in with Ferg's story. Most of us don't like
confrontations. Interesting phenom that if you call somebody
on something like that, you'll RARELY if ever get the positive
reaction you desire, but it does have a positive long term
effect.

Just don't have a 13 yr old daughter with you when you
confront people.

They get, like, SOOOOO emBARRassed.
Mike

Neal Miyake

Apr 9, 2001, 5:18:39 PM4/9/01
Good story!

Hey Foon, check out the picture on my www.bodyboarding.com website. Is this
near where you surf? Indian River Inlet, Delaware.
sponge

"Foon" <fo...@sanonofre.com> wrote:
> The glorious Spring weekend predicted on the Delmarva did not exactly
showup on
> time. Saturday was plain butt ugly with foggy drizzle, low clouds, and
damp cold
> winds off the ocean from the NE. We took in a movie while my mystery
neighbor
> spent 4 hours nursing a small crumbly swell in 42 degree water and

> 54 degree air. <snip>

Baba

Apr 9, 2001, 6:34:55 PM4/9/01

Let me get this straight. Your
neighbor is out surfing and you
are more intrested in a dog taking
a shit on the beach? Soul daddy,
do you see the problem? what comes
out of a dog's ass is more important
to you than surfing. you got your
lips all over the AS Kook of the Year
trophy.

Foon

Apr 10, 2001, 9:32:51 AM4/10/01
Baba says...

>Let me get this straight.

<snipped assumptions about my interests>

> you got your lips all over the AS Kook of the Year
> trophy.

One would think that, but it's a long year and I sense
someone is gaining on me :)

-Foon (My lips will never touch that trophy, its ICCCCKKYYY!!)

"Reputation is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit, and
lost without deserving." -Bill Shakespeare, 'Othello'

Daniel

Apr 10, 2001, 12:16:53 PM4/10/01
Foon wrote:

> > you got your lips all over the AS Kook of the Year
> > trophy.
>
> One would think that, but it's a long year and I sense
> someone is gaining on me :)

I don't know about KOTY, but that reply is on the list for ROTY*

* Retort

rodNDtube

Apr 10, 2001, 10:06:17 PM4/10/01
Looks like the wild Southside of IRI, the northside is much more mellow.

Rod Rodgers
e-mail: rrod...@bcpl.net
homepage: http://www.bcpl.net/~rrodgers/rodpage1.html

Foon

Apr 11, 2001, 9:50:19 AM4/11/01
rodNDtube says...

>Looks like the wild Southside of IRI, the northside is much more mellow.

Yeah, IRI is about 10 miles North of the Bunker. I've surfed it small, but over
headhigh it turns into a sucking deathpit and the aggro level grows
exponentially. Besides I might run into Rakeem there when it's showing 15 foot
faces.
Northside has it's own character, Longboarders on the outside, shortboarders
closer in, and bodyboarders acting as the meat in that sandwich.

Cool page Neal.

-Foon

rodNDtube

Apr 11, 2001, 3:42:14 PM4/11/01
Hey, where is RaKeeem???

The northside is KC's surf home, a break that Craig K would like for sure.