EATS AND GRINDS

Eric

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
Most of the time after a session, I find myself very hungry. I can
recount some of the best sessions by where and what we ate afterwards.

When we used to surf Panama City, we *had* to eat at Cafe Don Jose. My
favorite was their wet burrito. When in Cocoa Beach, it's gotta be Taco
City. In NSB, it's gotta be JB's Fishcamp for a grouper sandwich ( no
relation to our favorite rougue, and this JB surfs too. During the last
tropical season he was out on his big ol board with the confederate flag
on the bottom, and wearing some eye goggles, catching many waves )

One time at Bradenton Beach, we found this killer Irish Pub for a hot
sandwich and, you guessed it...Guinness.
In Frisco ( NC ) it was the White Dove sandwich shop for their veggie
sub, and in Avon, it was that little pizza place for calzones.

Where you eat depends upon where you surf. What about you ?

E ( happy ramadan and merry new year, hannakah and kwanza too )

hsilio

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
Eric wrote:

> Most of the time after a session, I find myself very hungry. I can
> recount some of the best sessions by where and what we ate afterwards.

Yes I do have some habits that I religeously follow whenever I surf, and
one of them is to eat.

> When we used to surf Panama City,

Only surfed the west coast about a handful of times and lack of local
knowledge has left me with poor judgement in eating establishments.

When in Cocoa Beach, it's gotta be Taco
> City.

I've seen this place many times and wondered, but I usually opt for
Roberto's Cuban restaurant across from the nudie bar on like 7th street
or something. When I surf the inlet though I always hit the deli in
orchid Isle/ aka wabasso

When I lived in Manhattan Beach, California in the mid eighties I was
fortunate enough to live behind the mexican restaurant that has so far
found no equal,( East of the Missippi). It was EL Tarrasco, oh man was
the food good. I wonder if the place is still there. Im getting hungry
now.

In Puerto Rico its always at the Bodega outside of Remy Airport with its
buffet.
Man I gotta eat

> E ( happy ramadan and merry new year, hannakah and kwanza too )

Like wise
herb

Eric

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98

hsilio wrote:

> Eric wrote:
> >
> > Most of the time after a session, I find myself very hungry. I can
> > recount some of the best sessions by where and what we ate afterwards.
>
> Yes I do have some habits that I religeously follow whenever I surf, and
> one of them is to eat.
>

> >I've seen this place many times and wondered, but I usually opt for
> Roberto's Cuban restaurant across from the nudie bar on like 7th street
> or something. When I surf the inlet though I always hit the deli in
> orchid Isle/ aka wabasso

Must check that out. I love Cuban food.

I almost forgot about Patrick's Deli at - Patricks AFB, Picnic Tables
and Second Light.

Hey, there's fodder for another thread. I just love some of the names
surfer's come up with for breaks.

Some already have names some name themselves, others come about for
other reasons, like Shark Pit ( oohhh, scary ! ) Like, there are any more
sharks there than say, Spanish House.

Here's a few local favorites:

Crossroads Blowhole The Poles The Cement Pier The Wall
The Inlet The Pier Boardwalk

etc etc etc ( hope I didn't give anything away )

Roderick Rodgers

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, hsilio wrote:

> I've seen this place many times and wondered, but I usually opt for
> Roberto's Cuban restaurant across from the nudie bar on like 7th street
> or something. When I surf the inlet though I always hit the deli in
> orchid Isle/ aka wabasso
>

> When I lived in Manhattan Beach, California in the mid eighties I was
> fortunate enough to live behind the mexican restaurant that has so far
> found no equal,( East of the Missippi). It was EL Tarrasco, oh man was
> the food good. I wonder if the place is still there. Im getting hungry
> now.
>
> In Puerto Rico its always at the Bodega outside of Remy Airport with its
> buffet.
> Man I gotta eat
>

> > E ( happy ramadan and merry new year, hannakah and kwanza too )
> Like wise
> herb

In Puerto Rico, after a session in the old Ramey AFB area, its straight to
the Panaderia Borinquen, about a mile south of the west Ramey gate (near
the golf course). The Borinquen has everything (except beer) from
sandwiches (cubano, media noche, pernil, etc) to native crillo dishes. A
heaping plate of yellow rice, beans, and about 1/2 chicken cost $3.75.
Cafe is expresso with steaming milk; lots of postres and flanes to pick
from. Even after a Jobos session and eats a stop at Borinquen is a must!

In Rincon, I favor the Paradaise Restaurant for a square meal. Its
located on the corner as you leave Rincon heading south. Great lunches.

Just about any colmado or friteria has a near frozen cerveza ready to
serve.

Rod Rodgers
e-mail: rrod...@bcpl.net
homepage: http://www.bcpl.net/~rrodgers/rodpage1.html

Jose Borrero

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
to hsi...@hotmail.com
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, hsilio wrote:

> I've seen this place many times and wondered, but I usually opt for
> Roberto's Cuban restaurant across from the nudie bar on like 7th street
> or something. When I surf the inlet though I always hit the deli in
> orchid Isle/ aka wabasso

I made a roast pork leg Puerto Rican style for New Years Day at my wife's
parent's house. The hawaiians were impressed, I love Kalua pig, but bros,
nothing compares to roast pork Puerto Rican style (the cubans put the citrus
on it which i'm not too keen on) any way, since there was a little leftovers,
i went out and bought egg bread, swiss cheese and pickles to make media noches
(sandwiches) the next day at home. Stoked!

> When I lived in Manhattan Beach, California in the mid eighties I was
> fortunate enough to live behind the mexican restaurant that has so far
> found no equal,( East of the Missippi). It was EL Tarrasco, oh man was
> the food good. I wonder if the place is still there. Im getting hungry
> now.

dude, it's still there, still a staple, still can eat on the roof, still has
the trippy mural of A-frames on the side, still makes huge burritos, did you
ever try El Burrito Junior in Redondo? Definitely a rival for Tarasco...

BTW, the Tarascos were the indiginous tribe of indians from Michoacan...

-jose

Doc

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99

hsilio wrote in message <36920A...@bellsouth.net>...

>Jose Borrero wrote:
>> I made a roast pork leg Puerto Rican style for New Years Day at my wife's
>> parent's house. The hawaiians were impressed, I love Kalua pig, but
bros,
>> nothing compares to roast pork Puerto Rican style (the cubans put the
citrus
>> on it which i'm not too keen on) any way, since there was a little
leftovers,
>> i went out and bought egg bread, swiss cheese and pickles to make media
noches
>> (sandwiches) the next day at home. Stoked!
>
>Good crispy roast leg of Pork is traditional for these days in all the
>greater Antilles. And forget about the cholesterol content this stuff is
>what seconds and thirds are made of. BTW that sounded like a good
>Midnight Sandwich you made.

Okay, dammit, now ya got my mouth watering. So, how do ya make roast pork
Puerto Rican style?

Salivating

Doc

hsilio

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Roderick Rodgers wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, hsilio wrote:
>
> > I've seen this place many times and wondered, but I usually opt for
> > Roberto's Cuban restaurant across from the nudie bar on like 7th street
> > or something. When I surf the inlet though I always hit the deli in
> > orchid Isle/ aka wabasso
> >

> > When I lived in Manhattan Beach, California in the mid eighties I was
> > fortunate enough to live behind the mexican restaurant that has so far
> > found no equal,( East of the Missippi). It was EL Tarrasco, oh man was
> > the food good. I wonder if the place is still there. Im getting hungry
> > now.
> >
> > In Puerto Rico its always at the Bodega outside of Remy Airport with its
> > buffet.
> > Man I gotta eat
> >

> > > E ( happy ramadan and merry new year, hannakah and kwanza too )
> > Like wise
> > herb
>
> In Puerto Rico, after a session in the old Ramey AFB area, its straight to
> the Panaderia Borinquen,
>
> Just about any colmado or friteria has a near frozen cerveza ready to
> serve.

And it always tastes better after a good session. Especially an Ice
cold Ceveza with my nasal drip.

> homepage: http://www.bcpl.net/~rrodgers/rodpage1.html

hsilio

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Jose Borrero wrote:
> I made a roast pork leg Puerto Rican style for New Years Day at my wife's
> parent's house. The hawaiians were impressed, I love Kalua pig, but bros,
> nothing compares to roast pork Puerto Rican style (the cubans put the citrus
> on it which i'm not too keen on) any way, since there was a little leftovers,
> i went out and bought egg bread, swiss cheese and pickles to make media noches
> (sandwiches) the next day at home. Stoked!

Good crispy roast leg of Pork is traditional for these days in all the
greater Antilles. And forget about the cholesterol content this stuff is
what seconds and thirds are made of. BTW that sounded like a good
Midnight Sandwich you made.

> >.
>
> dude, it's still there, still a staple, still can eat on the roof, still has
> the trippy mural of A-frames on the side, still makes huge burritos,

Man I live in Miami and can find any kind of great latin American food,
but I can't find any decent Mexican food. El Tarrasco did me no justice.
Those burritos left me dazed after many a good session. Man Id hop
around the alley and get my fix and go back to my lazy boy and watch
sanford and son till I passed out. Now that Im on the subject of food
and LA, is the Hawaiin Hut ( if thats what it was called ) still there?
That was my favorite breakfast joint after the surf.

did you
> ever try El Burrito Junior in Redondo? Definitely a rival for Tarasco...

No I'd barely venture far from home to eat, the only reason other than
surfing to head south was women chasing at the red onion

> BTW, the Tarascos were the indiginous tribe of indians from Michoacan...

Hey thanks for the bit of info

herb

Roderick Rodgers

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Jose Borrero wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, hsilio wrote:
>
> > I've seen this place many times and wondered, but I usually opt for
> > Roberto's Cuban restaurant across from the nudie bar on like 7th street
> > or something. When I surf the inlet though I always hit the deli in
> > orchid Isle/ aka wabasso
>

> I made a roast pork leg Puerto Rican style for New Years Day at my wife's
> parent's house. The hawaiians were impressed, I love Kalua pig, but bros,
> nothing compares to roast pork Puerto Rican style (the cubans put the citrus
> on it which i'm not too keen on) any way, since there was a little leftovers,
> i went out and bought egg bread, swiss cheese and pickles to make media noches
> (sandwiches) the next day at home. Stoked!

<snip>

Hey, you did it up right! But, did you forget the jamon for the Media
Noche?

Christmas eve dinner was just one of the many highlights on my recent
journey back to PR--lechon asado, pasteles, arroz con gandules,
chillo al ajillo, tostones, n~ames, y mucho mas. Followed by some jugos
naturales con Ron del Barrilito (not that the juice was needed...). Serve
up some more pasteles...

Roderick Rodgers

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Doc wrote:

> hsilio wrote in message <36920A...@bellsouth.net>...
> >Jose Borrero wrote:

> >> I made a roast pork leg Puerto Rican style for New Years Day at my wife's
> >> parent's house. The hawaiians were impressed, I love Kalua pig, but
> bros,
> >> nothing compares to roast pork Puerto Rican style (the cubans put the
> citrus
> >> on it which i'm not too keen on) any way, since there was a little
> leftovers,
> >> i went out and bought egg bread, swiss cheese and pickles to make media
> noches
> >> (sandwiches) the next day at home. Stoked!
> >

> >Good crispy roast leg of Pork is traditional for these days in all the
> >greater Antilles. And forget about the cholesterol content this stuff is
> >what seconds and thirds are made of. BTW that sounded like a good
> >Midnight Sandwich you made.
>

> Okay, dammit, now ya got my mouth watering. So, how do ya make roast pork
> Puerto Rican style?
>
> Salivating
>
> Doc

Check out the following url for the Cuban style:

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/4192/fathers.html

I prefer a little lime juice to the Cuban orange-style.

Nicholas Palmer

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
hsilio wrote:

> Jose Borrero wrote:

<Snipped>

> > dude, it's still there, still a staple, still can eat on the roof, still has
> > the trippy mural of A-frames on the side, still makes huge burritos,
> Man I live in Miami and can find any kind of great latin American food,
> but I can't find any decent Mexican food. El Tarrasco did me no justice.
> Those burritos left me dazed after many a good session. Man Id hop
> around the alley and get my fix and go back to my lazy boy and watch
> sanford and son till I passed out. Now that Im on the subject of food
> and LA, is the Hawaiin Hut ( if thats what it was called ) still there?
> That was my favorite breakfast joint after the surf.

..

> herb

Do you mean the Beach Hut? Best after surf food in the world (OK, best
in
Manhattan/Hermosa beach)

Nick

Take off Late, Get Deep, Go Down Hard...

ni...@kcicorp.com (Nick Palmer)
KCI Computing International

Doc

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99

rrod...@bcpl.net wrote in message <76ug8h$aq6$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Doc, there's some more info listed below:
<chewed up>

>> Okay, dammit, now ya got my mouth watering. So, how do ya make roast pork
>> Puerto Rican style?
>>
>> Salivating
>>
>> Doc
>
>Visit these URLs for more info to satisfy your lust for the best comidas:
>
>Mama's Place
>http://www.fon-insight.com/mama/mama.html
>
>A Taste of Puerto Rican Cuisine
>http://members.tripod.com/~apadilla98_2/recipes/cuisine.html
>
>“Recetas Del Campo Boricua”
>http://www.boricua.com/jibaros/recetas.htm
>
>Rod

Con mucho gusto

Doc

rrod...@bcpl.net

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Doc, there's some more info listed below:

In article <dzdk2.9710$DQ1.1...@news2.randori.com>,

"Doc" <jfm...@no.bloody.spam.capecod.net> wrote:

> hsilio wrote in message <36920A...@bellsouth.net>...
> >Jose Borrero wrote:
> >> I made a roast pork leg Puerto Rican style for New Years Day at my wife's
> >> parent's house. The hawaiians were impressed, I love Kalua pig, but
> bros,
> >> nothing compares to roast pork Puerto Rican style (the cubans put the
> citrus
> >> on it which i'm not too keen on) any way, since there was a little
> leftovers,
> >> i went out and bought egg bread, swiss cheese and pickles to make media
> noches
> >> (sandwiches) the next day at home. Stoked!
> >
> >Good crispy roast leg of Pork is traditional for these days in all the
> >greater Antilles. And forget about the cholesterol content this stuff is
> >what seconds and thirds are made of. BTW that sounded like a good
> >Midnight Sandwich you made.
>

> Okay, dammit, now ya got my mouth watering. So, how do ya make roast pork
> Puerto Rican style?
>
> Salivating
>
> Doc

Visit these URLs for more info to satisfy your lust for the best comidas:

“Recetas Del Campo Boricua”
http://www.boricua.com/jibaros/recetas.htm

Rod

hsilio

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Nicholas Palmer wrote:

> Do you mean the Beach Hut? Best after surf food in the world (OK, best
> in
> Manhattan/Hermosa beach)

Yep thats the place. Good coffee and sweet hawaiian bread. Nice pics
too.
herb