Clubbie sinks at City Beach W.Australia

Scott Smith

Nov 15, 1992, 7:28:31 PM11/15/92
In article <1992Nov15...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>,
g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au wrote:

Oh well shit happens.... if he had a surfboard
> you wouldnt be reading this post.

True. But on the same weekend, a windsurfer got into trouble between
Cables and Cottesloe. Had two "clubbies" from Fremantle not been present
on the beach jogging, he may have been in the same state as the guy from
City Beach.

Meggz.

g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au

Nov 18, 1992, 5:14:40 AM11/18/92

Im not putting shit on Clubbies, I know you were one. They do great things
aroundthe beachs and Im sure all the parents out there feel heaps safer knowing
some lifesaver is watching over their kids.

I cant put them down but I can laugh at them occasionally when they scream at
us to get our boards away from the swimmers ;)

Bundy.

"Read my lips... Dont tax BEER!" AB.

Scott Smith

Nov 18, 1992, 8:10:59 PM11/18/92
In article <1992Nov18...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>,
g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au wrote:

> Im not putting shit on Clubbies, I know you were one.

^^^^

I am one still, no past tense.

Meggzie

g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au

Nov 19, 1992, 4:28:42 AM11/19/92
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ AND YOU ADMIT IT!! WOW YOU HAVE GUTS!!!

> Meggzie

Only joking Meggzie. Shit weather over here isnt it! Last night I thought my
flat was going to get blown away with the howling westerlies. They peaked at
about 40 knots last night and trashed a few houses on the way. At least they
brought in a Hellish swell.

Lud, I predict you guys will be getting a sizeable swell increase over the next
couple of days cause its all coming your way.

Bundy.

"Read my lips... Dont Tax BEER!" AB.

Nancy Jean Travis

Nov 19, 1992, 11:14:34 AM11/19/92
>> In article <1992Nov18...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>,
>> g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au wrote:
>>
>>> Im not putting shit on Clubbies, I know you were one.
>> I am one still, no past tense.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ AND YOU ADMIT IT!! WOW YOU HAVE GUTS!!!

What's a Clubbie?

If its as socially unacceptable as you imply,
I gotta be one!

Nancy Jean Travis
just curious

=B-)

Brian Kiviat

Nov 19, 1992, 12:44:45 PM11/19/92
In alt.surfing, njtr...@ux5.lbl.gov (Nancy Jean Travis) writes:
>What's a Clubbie?

I'm still waiting for the Oztralian/American slang dictionary to come
out.
Clubbies...spot on....marmite/vegemite...Kombi....cungee...
Inquiring Seppos want to know

O You don't stop surfing
I\ Brian Kiviat (301)227-1833 when you grow old,
I \ kiv...@oasys.dt.navy.mil you grow old
/ David Taylor Model Basin when you stop surfing.
\___________________________
\\

Meggzie

Nov 19, 1992, 7:09:35 PM11/19/92
In article <1992Nov19...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>,
g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au wrote:

<shit hanging on Clubbies deleted...>

> Only joking Meggzie. Shit weather over here isnt it! Last night I thought my
> flat was going to get blown away with the howling westerlies. They peaked at
> about 40 knots last night and trashed a few houses on the way. At least they
> brought in a Hellish swell.

The swell at Freo was 100% pure slop up to about 7pm last night when it
seemed to settle down. We actually had 5' dumpers in front of the club
house. There were about 8 diehards out on boards and a couple of grommets
trying to impress the girls on their bodyboards. No other news from that
front. Weather has picked up today though!

> Lud, I predict you guys will be getting a sizeable swell increase over the next couple of days cause its all coming your way.

I second that proposal.

Meggzie
"When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail. If
you are going after Moby Dick, take along the tartare sauce."

Nigel Brendon Robinson

Nov 20, 1992, 9:41:42 PM11/20/92
sm...@csuvax1.murdoch.edu.au (Meggzie) writes:

>> Lud, I predict you guys will be getting a sizeable swell increase over the next couple of days cause its all coming your way.

>I second that proposal.

Well,I dunno if the swell you predicted is the one I surfed today but,
it sure as hell has picked up.

Nigel.
--
People are strange when you're a stranger: H-0 N-) |-| =-) * *
K-( <-> C-) 8v) S=) X-| :-] {-) O-) I-) E-) |

Ludwig Omachen

Nov 22, 1992, 4:42:32 PM11/22/92
In article <1992Nov19...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au> g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:

Lines deleted......

>Lud, I predict you guys will be getting a sizeable swell increase over the next
>couple of days cause its all coming your way.

Thanks for the tip, there has been nothing worth surfing now for
two weeks or so :-(, it's still dead flat at Bells/Winki this morning
(monday), maybe it will pick up during the day, got the gear in the
van just in case.

>Bundy.
>
>"Read my lips... Dont Tax BEER!" AB.

Cheer's, keep surfing,
Lud.

Meggzie

Nov 29, 1992, 3:55:50 AM11/29/92
In article <27...@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, njtr...@ux5.lbl.gov (Nancy Jean Travis)
wrote:
> What's a Clubbie?

An active member of a Surf Life Saving Club. Some people feel there is
considerable tension between Surfers and Clubbies in Australia. It does
not appear as bad here in the West as it does in the Eastern States,
particularly around Sydney.

Despite popular belief, there are many Clubbies who surf as well as patrol
local beaches.

Meggz.

g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au

Nov 30, 1992, 4:03:26 AM11/30/92
In article <27...@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, kiv...@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Brian Kiviat) writes:
> In alt.surfing, njtr...@ux5.lbl.gov (Nancy Jean Travis) writes:
>>What's a Clubbie?
>
> I'm still waiting for the Oztralian/American slang dictionary to come
> out.
> Clubbies...spot on....marmite/vegemite...Kombi....cungee...
> Inquiring Seppos want to know

Gunja, mull, fag, loo, good surf... are some words you seppos probably
havent heard of ;)

Bundy.

g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au

Nov 30, 1992, 4:16:46 AM11/30/92
In article <smith-291...@esumac11.csu.murdoch.edu.au>, sm...@csuvax1.murdoch.edu.au (Meggzie) writes:
> In article <27...@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, njtr...@ux5.lbl.gov (Nancy Jean Travis)
> wrote:
>> What's a Clubbie?

Open to debate...

> An active member of a Surf Life Saving Club. Some people feel there is
> considerable tension between Surfers and Clubbies in Australia. It does
> not appear as bad here in the West as it does in the Eastern States,
> particularly around Sydney.
>
> Despite popular belief, there are many Clubbies who surf as well as patrol
> local beaches.

Well... try to surf anyway ;) I must add that not all clubbies are hotheads
with processed meat for brains, just the ones who get in our way. No flames
please Meggz, I know they do great things for our beaches and all that hype
but some of them get under our skin.

> Meggz.

Bundy.

ps. Has anyone else seen the movie Romper Stomper... I liked it.

Meggzie

Nov 30, 1992, 7:43:58 AM11/30/92
In article <1992Nov30...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>,
g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au wrote:

...chill Bundy, this is NOT a flame....

> Well... try to surf anyway ;) I must add that not all clubbies are hotheads
> with processed meat for brains, just the ones who get in our way. No flames
> please Meggz, I know they do great things for our beaches and all that hype
> but some of them get under our skin.

try not to pass out, but I agree with the above. See- no flames

Meggz.

Clark Quinn

Nov 29, 1992, 10:22:25 PM11/29/92
In article <27...@oasys.dt.navy.mil> kiv...@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Brian Kiviat) writes:
>In alt.surfing, njtr...@ux5.lbl.gov (Nancy Jean Travis) writes:
>>What's a Clubbie?
>
>I'm still waiting for the Oztralian/American slang dictionary to come
>out.
>Clubbies...spot on....marmite/vegemite...Kombi....cungee...
>Inquiring Seppos want to know

Yeah, it's alot of fun trying to figure this stuff out.

Clubbies - the Surf Clubs are groups of volunteer lifesavers who have
been an Australian tradition for yonks (a long time). They're the
classic bronzed Aussie hero in tight speedos who compete in paddle
boards, swimming, rowing their dory's, etc. Since surfers are far too
cool to get into that organized machismo, and the clubbies are always
shutting off the good beach breaks to let spongers (body-boarders) out,
there's a traditional rivalry. I don't think Nancy Jean wants to really
get into it, it's not socially unacceptable in general, it's just
socially uncool for surfers, who are already socially unacceptable
(not enough, though; still too many wanna-be's trying to get hummers).

Spot on - an expression of accuracy, like "dead right".

Marmite/vegemite - the secret ingredient that makes Australians so
tough. It's the vile brown scum left after making beer. They feed it
to Australian children and convince them it's tasty (doesn't say much
for Aussie intelligence, actually). After that, anything else is
easy. Probably a way to ruin tastebuds, since Australian food,
modelled on the British tradition like so much else, is so awful. Too
bad that they brought all the wrong British traditions: they left the
good ale but brought the awful cooking, left the bobbies but brought
the bureaucracy; you know the joke about the difference between heaven
and hell, the relevant part here is that in heaven the British are the
police, in hell the British are the cooks...

Kombi - the same surf-mobile world-round, the classic Volkswagen bus.

cungee - sorry, haven't heard that one yet.

> You don't stop surfing

> when you grow old,
> you grow old
> when you stop surfing.

Right on! Or as the OMBAC (Old Mission Bay Aquatic Club) members used
to say, "if you aren't still surfing, you never did". (Well, they do tend
to be a bit hard core about things).

Sorry about writing so much, but schools out for summer, marking's over,
and it's bloody raining and the bloody surf's flat.

-- Clark

_--_|\ Clark N. Quinn
/ \ School of Computer Science and Engineering +61-2-697-4034
\_.--._* The University of New South Wales Fax +61-2-313-7987
v PO Box 1 cnq...@cse.unsw.edu.au
Kensington, NSW C.Q...@unsw.edu.au
AUSTRALIA 2033

"A California Yankee in the Land of Oz"

Nigel Brendon Robinson

Dec 2, 1992, 5:32:52 PM12/2/92
g_el...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:

>> I'm still waiting for the Oztralian/American slang dictionary to come
>> out.
>> Clubbies...spot on....marmite/vegemite...Kombi....cungee...
>> Inquiring Seppos want to know

>Gunja, mull, fag, loo, good surf... are some words you seppos probably
>havent heard of ;)

>Bundy.

There's probably alot more but I'd say the last one they'd know the
definition of the last one.

Cungee: I know this one.There's prrobably a million different types of
cungee but there's only one that I know of.I don't know how to
describe it except to say that they look like real fat short sausages
with a little nipple on the end ( could be a definite phallec symbol).
They ae usually brown in colour.
They hold water and when you tread on them they squirt a jet of water
out. (Even more phallec)