Gaining weight

Moe Jones

Jul 24, 2007, 2:11:01 PM7/24/07
Since I became an amputee, I have been in wheel chair since coming out of
the hospital, Dec. 2006, and have noticed that I am gaining weight.

I do understand that I am taking in more calories than what I am using.

Now I have been told that once I get my new prosthesis and when I start to
learn to walk I should start to burn more calories.

What can I do in a wheelchair to help burn more calories?

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Mike

Jul 24, 2007, 4:25:42 PM7/24/07
Responding to Moe Jones...

> Since I became an amputee, I have been in wheel chair since coming out of
> the hospital, Dec. 2006, and have noticed that I am gaining weight.
>
> I do understand that I am taking in more calories than what I am using.
>
> Now I have been told that once I get my new prosthesis and when I start to
> learn to walk I should start to burn more calories.
>
> What can I do in a wheelchair to help burn more calories?

Assuming you still have two working arms, and access to a reasonably
well fitted manual chair, why not set a few targets? Plan a few
routes and see how far you get. Go shopping and try navigating round
the supermarket with one of those clip-on trollies? Get a helmet and
practice wheelies? (A pal neaby would help with this one ;)

Search "wheelchair aerobics" for a few more ideas.

--
Yellow Submarine?
Nah. Its a TeaPot!

Moe Jones

Jul 24, 2007, 5:53:59 PM7/24/07
Thanks by looking up "wheelchair aerobics", I did find allot of information
like Sitting Push-Ups.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

Mike

Jul 24, 2007, 6:29:06 PM7/24/07
Responding to Moe Jones...

> Thanks by looking up "wheelchair aerobics", I did find allot of information
> like Sitting Push-Ups.

Hope you find something useful.

By the way, you might want to fix your newsreader. It appears to be
posting your reply on top of, rather than after what you're replying
to, If you do this and also include a double-dash, some newsreaders
will cut everything below it as if it were all just a sig line
including post content. 'OE-QuoteFix' could be what you need here.

Moe Jones

Jul 24, 2007, 7:45:18 PM7/24/07
I downloaded and installed.

How is this looking?

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Energy Equalizers Inc.
Houston, Texas
www.EnergyEqualizers.com

"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

Mike

Jul 25, 2007, 8:40:24 AM7/25/07
Responding to Moe Jones...

> I downloaded and installed.
>
> How is this looking?

Like this...

[BEGIN PASTE-IN]

I downloaded and installed.

How is this looking?

[END PASTE-IN]

As you can see here, the siglines have not been stripped, which
leaves the double-dash still in there to trigger autosnipping of
anything that follows, and its still top posting, which adds to the
problem. I've manually copy/pasted what I saw into what I'm posting.
If I hadn't donw this, all I would have got in my reply was the top
couple of lines that appeared before the double-dash symbol. This is
a switch command to any newsreader set to act on it, and is a
standard way of doing this kind of thing. If its there, it will be
included in somebody else's processes.

It looks as if you have a "learning experience" on your hands. ;)

You could use 'alt.test' to play around with your setup until you get
it sorted, as some folks get a bit fussy about test posting in
subject specific newsgroups.

Ain't software fun! :(

Burgerman

Jul 25, 2007, 11:08:35 AM7/25/07
"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

I wouldnt worry, there are so few people using this group that any post
makes it interesting other than spam...

--

www.powerrchair-review.co.uk
www.wheelchairdriver.com

Mike

Jul 25, 2007, 12:06:14 PM7/25/07
Responding to Burgerman...

[...]

> I wouldnt worry, there are so few people using this group that any post
> makes it interesting other than spam...

Ha! Good one!

How are you John? Saw the new van site. Neat!

Burgerman

Jul 25, 2007, 1:28:47 PM7/25/07
"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

Im fine. Too fat as you can see here

www.wheelchairdriver.com/images-chrysler-dodge/i-beat-anorexia-shirt-small.jpg

But otherwise fine! I thought you fell off the planet?

Mike

Jul 25, 2007, 7:05:52 PM7/25/07
Responding to Burgerman...

> "Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message
>> Responding to Burgerman...
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I wouldnt worry, there are so few people using this group that any post
>>> makes it interesting other than spam...
>>>

>> Ha! Good one!
>>
>> How are you John? Saw the new van site. Neat!
>>

> Im fine. Too fat as you can see here
>
> www.wheelchairdriver.com/images-chrysler-dodge/i-beat-anorexia-shirt-small.jpg
>
> But otherwise fine! I thought you fell off the planet?

Tripped over it actually. ;)

We got broadband for less than we used to pay for dial up. Its
VirginMedia, so its not much faster most days. ;\

And we got some new wheels!

www.pdq.tv

Brilliant!

Burgerman

Jul 26, 2007, 7:10:04 AM7/26/07
"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

Bet the battery and range doesent last too long?

--

www.powerrchair-review.co.uk
www.wheelchairdriver.com

Mike

Jul 26, 2007, 3:35:36 PM7/26/07
Responding to Burgerman...

[...]

>>> But otherwise fine! I thought you fell off the planet?
>>>

>> Tripped over it actually. ;)
>>
>> We got broadband for less than we used to pay for dial up. Its
>> VirginMedia, so its not much faster most days. ;\
>>
>> And we got some new wheels!
>>
>> www.pdq.tv
>>
>> Brilliant!
>>

> Bet the battery and range doesent last too long?

Well, Virgin Media have had some criticism lately, but the batteries
seems to be holding out so far...

Heh! :)

One might indeed think that battery range would be a serious issue
given the size of the thing, and based on that we made sure to get a
spare to keep in the car. So far I'm the one that runs out before the
battery even shows signs of dropping from it's full charge indicator.
(Still going to make up a battery sling for under the chair though.
you never know.)

The trick seems to be that the drive wheel is a freewheel like a
bicycle, meaning that its only needed to get things moving, with an
odd squirt here and there just to keep up the pace, and get up
slopes. More traveling under momentum can be done than one might
think, and not that much is needed to roll those large diameter
wheels. (We got the mountain bike wheels upgrade too :) This is a
very good way to use gravity for propulsion IMO.

So far, and remember we live in the really hilly bit of Bradford,
we've found it to be an amazing bit of kit that performs way beyond
what might be expected.

I'm so impressed I'm thinking about buying the company!

Burgerman

Jul 26, 2007, 4:32:40 PM7/26/07
"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

I will remind you of this when it breaks!
I took one to bits. Its not very clever in there!

--

www.dynamometer-info.co.uk
www.powerrchair-review.co.uk

Mike

Jul 27, 2007, 6:31:12 AM7/27/07
Responding to Burgerman...

[...]

>> One might indeed think that battery range would be a serious issue
>> given the size of the thing, and based on that we made sure to get a
>> spare to keep in the car. So far I'm the one that runs out before the
>> battery even shows signs of dropping from it's full charge indicator.
>> (Still going to make up a battery sling for under the chair though.
>> you never know.)
>>
>> The trick seems to be that the drive wheel is a freewheel like a
>> bicycle, meaning that its only needed to get things moving, with an
>> odd squirt here and there just to keep up the pace, and get up
>> slopes. More traveling under momentum can be done than one might
>> think, and not that much is needed to roll those large diameter
>> wheels. (We got the mountain bike wheels upgrade too :) This is a
>> very good way to use gravity for propulsion IMO.
>>
>> So far, and remember we live in the really hilly bit of Bradford,
>> we've found it to be an amazing bit of kit that performs way beyond
>> what might be expected.
>>
>> I'm so impressed I'm thinking about buying the company!
>>

> I will remind you of this when it breaks!
> I took one to bits. Its not very clever in there!

So did I, and I agree. Its like going back 50 years, but it works.
The one downside is that speed (16mph) is bought at the cost of
torque, and even Elaine needs a shove to get started up a steep
slope. Either than, or plan your route to approach at a reasonable
speed where the drive wheel does keep rolling well where it would
have struggled to start from stopped.

Now if she just had some kind of temporary ram jet...

Burgerman

Jul 27, 2007, 12:22:00 PM7/27/07
"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

Pulse jets and turbines are easy to build ram jets are not going to run at
16mph...

Mike

Jul 27, 2007, 2:56:10 PM7/27/07
Responding to Burgerman...

[...]

>> Now if she just had some kind of temporary ram jet...
>>

> Pulse jets and turbines are easy to build ram jets are not going to run at 16mph...

Yeah, that makes sense. Pulse jet it is then! 8)

Actually, there is a small number of loonies doing strange things
with PowerTrikes. One guy reportedly got 54mph out of his on a
downhill run. Elaine was impressed, and now I'm worried. :(

Burgerman

Jul 27, 2007, 3:09:05 PM7/27/07
"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

I recon you could get more with the motor removed. It should go pretty fast
down a steep hill...

I know a guy with a 45lb thrust model aircraft gas turbine on a recumberent
bike that has topped 60 on a flat 2 mile runway. Your setup isnt much
different it just has an extra wheel.

Mike

Jul 28, 2007, 5:07:14 AM7/28/07
Responding to Burgerman...

> "Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message
>> Responding to Burgerman...
>>
>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Pulse jets and turbines are easy to build ram jets are not going to run
>>> at 16mph...
>>
>> Yeah, that makes sense. Pulse jet it is then! 8)
>>
>> Actually, there is a small number of loonies doing strange things
>> with PowerTrikes. One guy reportedly got 54mph out of his on a
>> downhill run. Elaine was impressed, and now I'm worried. :(
>>

> I recon you could get more with the motor removed. It should go pretty fast
> down a steep hill...
>
> I know a guy with a 45lb thrust model aircraft gas turbine on a recumberent
> bike that has topped 60 on a flat 2 mile runway. Your setup isnt much
> different it just has an extra wheel.

The motor is a freewheel device with no "engine braking" effect. It
only picks up the drive like a bicycle's pedals would.

Hmmm. Thinks. Some kind of Sturmey Archer gearbox. More torque at low
speeds, and higher gearing once on the move... Yeah. That could work!

Where to fit it though.

Burgerman

Jul 28, 2007, 7:11:40 AM7/28/07
"Mike" <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote in message

Better but a bit low tech.
Use a wheel with it already in and drive via chain as per push bike.

Direct drive brushless can simulate the effect of lower and taller gearing
in linear fashion with suitable controller and with much greater efficiency,
Or
Slightly lower efficiency would be a torque converter as used in auto cars.
These dont only allow slippage but increase the torque multiplication as
they do so. So under heavy load (hills and setting off they will give more
torque at the wheel. Under low loads like when going fast there is less
slippage (or even lock up) so full speed can still be obtained.
Torque converters are also called torque multipliers.

Mike

Jul 28, 2007, 3:20:51 PM7/28/07
Responding to Burgerman...

[...]

>> Hmmm. Thinks. Some kind of Sturmey Archer gearbox. More torque at low
>> speeds, and higher gearing once on the move... Yeah. That could work!
>>
>> Where to fit it though.
>
> Better but a bit low tech.
> Use a wheel with it already in and drive via chain as per push bike.
>

> Direct drive brushless can simulate the effect of lower and taller gearing
> in linear fashion with suitable controller and with much greater efficiency,

Sounds good.

> Or
> Slightly lower efficiency would be a torque converter as used in auto cars.
> These dont only allow slippage but increase the torque multiplication as
> they do so. So under heavy load (hills and setting off they will give more
> torque at the wheel. Under low loads like when going fast there is less
> slippage (or even lock up) so full speed can still be obtained.
> Torque converters are also called torque multipliers.

Sounds very interesting indeed. Now I need a way to get three of them
onto that chair. :) I'm already working on fitting keel operated disk
brakes to the chair wheels, as if you loose that front wheel on a
grassy slope, its downhill all the way. :( Independant torque
controlled three-wheel drive would finish the upgrade nicely.

It'd need more battery power though, but there's room under the
chair.

Burgerman

Aug 8, 2007, 10:34:28 AM8/8/07
"Moe Jones" <moej...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

> Since I became an amputee, I have been in wheel chair since coming out of
> the hospital, Dec. 2006, and have noticed that I am gaining weight.
>

> I do understand that I am taking in more calories than what I am using.
>

> Now I have been told that once I get my new prosthesis and when I start to
> learn to walk I should start to burn more calories.
>

> What can I do in a wheelchair to help burn more calories?

Well sex is hard work and works well but you need a volunteer, (I suggest
www.matchdoctor.com as it definitely seems to work judging by my antics and
its free).
Failing that my van needs washing and waxing, the grass needs cutting, and
the driveway needs pressure cleaning. Again. All of this needs doing weekly
and monthrly should you be interested and unlike a gymnasium I dont charge!

Alternatively do as I do. I often think about doing some exercise but prefer
to lay down in a darkened room until it passes because, well, er, I am lazy!
I did lose 5 stones though. I lived for 10 months on a diet of 4 pints of
beer (any) and one pack of flat chicken (100g) per day. (Flat chicken is
that horid reconstituted sliced vacuum packed stuff. And a multi vitamin
pill.

Now everyone will tell you all kinds of reasons it wont or shouldnt work,
and thats its bad for you etc but it does and I proved it very easily! But
its not exactly a recommended diet.