Overheating on a gearless brushless motors

Anh

Jul 8, 2009, 5:48:00 PM7/8/09
I have a Invacare Storm 3 with Gearless Brushless motors (GB). I use
this chair to play power [wheelchair] soccer. My problem is that it
overheats after 20min of continuous aggressive play; the length of a
full game is a little over 40min. Once it overheat, the chair stalls
and doesn't respond to the controller and I'm a dead duck in the
water. I've tried everything programmable setting imaginable to find
the most efficient setting.

I've turn up the acceleration, top speed, and turning speed to the
max. I lower my torque to 5% and power level to 70%. I would like to
turn up my power level but any higher and the chair it overheats
quicker in less than 10min of play. The chair controller/brain is a
MK4 and I've attached two 6" computer fans on the controller.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions how to solve the overheating
problem without sacrificing performance in the areas of acceleration
[jumping a ball], turning speed [harder kicks], torque [pushing
through the goal line], and power level?

Thanks for reading.

Burgerman

Jul 8, 2009, 6:32:44 PM7/8/09
"Anh" <anha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Fans wont help unless huge and with big heatsinks.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair6.htm Bottom of page. Look at
temperature foldback part. That WILL work. And no its unlikely to hurt the
controller. They are bomb proof. I cant melt mine and I really try. You
need a proper controller though not an "end user" noddy one.

Burgerman.

Burgerman

Jul 9, 2009, 5:01:31 AM7/9/09
"Burgerman" <burg...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Anh" <anha...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Invacare Storm 3 with Gearless Brushless motors (GB). I use
>> this chair to play power [wheelchair] soccer. My problem is that it
>> overheats after 20min of continuous aggressive play; the length of a
>> full game is a little over 40min. Once it overheat, the chair stalls
>> and doesn't respond to the controller and I'm a dead duck in the
>> water. I've tried everything programmable setting imaginable to find
>> the most efficient setting.
>>
>> I've turn up the acceleration, top speed, and turning speed to the
>> max. I lower my torque to 5% and power level to 70%. I would like to
>> turn up my power level but any higher and the chair it overheats
>> quicker in less than 10min of play. The chair controller/brain is a
>> MK4 and I've attached two 6" computer fans on the controller.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions how to solve the overheating
>> problem without sacrificing performance in the areas of acceleration
>> [jumping a ball], turning speed [harder kicks], torque [pushing
>> through the goal line], and power level?
>>
>> Thanks for reading.
>

> Fans wont help unless huge powerful and with big heatsinks.

> http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair6.htm Bottom of page. Look at
> temperature foldback part. That WILL work. And no its unlikely to hurt the
> controller. They are bomb proof. I cant melt mine and I really try. You
> need a proper controller though not an "end user" noddy one.
>
> Burgerman.

I meant programmer not controller obviously...

Or fit a bigger sized controller like the P an G 120 amp per channel r-net
one, as I just ordered or a robotics controller like www.roboteq.com one.