Topamax

Dawnee

Dec 27, 2002, 11:49:27 PM12/27/02
My dau was prescribed topamax by her pediatric neuro today. Her trial
of Geodon made her manicky and all she did is sleep. She truly was
disabled taking it. Due to her TS, rage attacks and sensory problems
he is trying topamax. I looked back into the history, but I haven't
figured out if this stuff helps, especially with TS. He said it would
help with Ts.
Dawnee

Kimber

Dec 28, 2002, 6:54:14 AM12/28/02
>From: rich...@adelphia.net (Dawnee)

>My dau was prescribed topamax by her pediatric neuro today.

>He said it would
>help with Ts.

Dear Dawnee,

Good Morning! Wanted to comment on your post...

I have a close friend with a daughter who has TS. Her daughter is 16 and had
tried every typical TS med without any success, by the time she was 13. Her
vocal tics have always been extremely severe and her motor tics very painful.
Her mother finally demanded that the doctors try something outside of the norm.
Her thinking was if the typical meds don't work, then who is to say the
non-typical ones won't? 3 years ago, the doctor started her daughter on
Dilantin. Within weeks, the vocal tics almost disappeared and the motor tics
were reduced enough not to cause pain any longer. She continued taking
Dilantin for almost 2 years but had to discontinue it due to teeth problems
that were related to the Dilantin. The next attempt was with Tegretal (sp?),
which worked just as well as the Dilantin but caused too much weight gain in
less than 3 months time. Finally, they tried giving her Topomax. She has been
taking it for nearly a year now and has a total of 3 tics. She makes a gulping
sound once in a while, stretches her mouth open wide, and blinks her eyes. Her
tics have continued at this rate since the 3rd week of taking Topomax. If it
stops working, or if she should have to discontinue it for any reason, they
plan to try Gabatril next.

My daughter has met a couple girls at the psychiatrists office during a group
therapy session who take Topomax for BPD and/or rage attacks and it seems to
work great for them. I don't know much about sensory problems so I can't
comment on the effectiveness of Topomax in that aspect.

I don't think anyone can yet explain why Topomax works in some for TS, but then
again, it is a common seizure medication and they can't even explain why it
works when treating seizures.

On my daughter's most recent visit to the psychiatrist, which is when we
finally gave up on Luvox because it seemed to work fine in the beginning...not
so more recently, he mentioned that we might consider trying Tegretal or
Topomax, so I guess the seizure medications must be making an impact on some
patients with TS. At this time though, my daughter says "no meds" so it is an
option we may consider later if necessary. I would love to hear if Topomax was
a success for your daughter. Keep us updated!

Take care, Kim

Message has been deleted

Dawnee

Dec 28, 2002, 8:28:06 PM12/28/02
LINDA
My dau.'s neuro explained that for some, Topamax can make one
forgetful--like not remember what you called something.

As far as sensory problems go, KIM, he did say also that one of his
patients has such severe sensory integration that she cannot stand to
hear clothes rustle when they rub against each other. He prescribed
Topamax and it made all the difference in the world.

Let us hope so.

Dawnee

Message has been deleted

Joanne Cohen

Dec 28, 2002, 10:20:15 PM12/28/02

PLEASE be careful and alert with Topamax. I don't want to scare you, but I
had a VERY bad experience with it this past Summer, to the point where I
ended up hospitalized with encephalopathy (a vague term for changes in the
brain, but in me it caused all kinds of mental troubles). It can be a good
drug for mood, etc. If your daughter tells you she is smelling things,
BELIEVE her! Topamax can cause olfactory hallucinations ( actually, please
don't be scared by my use of the word 'hallucination' here, technically,
they are just smell perversions, but can be very strange, like kitty pee,
fish, eggs, ammonia, etc.). It can also cause word retrieval problems,
amongst other things. Topamax might help the rage, I don't think it does
anything for TS, and I have no idea what if anything it would do for sensory
problems. My guess is he put her on it mainly for rage issues? If you see
any signs of her not thinking straight, please call your doctor, as that is
one of the first signs of encephalopathy. Good luck, and please let us know
how it works for her!
Oh yeah, it can help with weight loss as well. It cuts the appetite and
otherwise can help a person on other weight-increasing meds lose weight.

Jo

"Dawnee" <rich...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Joanne Cohen

Dec 28, 2002, 10:21:35 PM12/28/02

I want to add that I recall on Topamax my tics WERE INDEED very much
reduced. I had forgotten that.

Jo

"Kimber" <k7...@aol.com> wrote in message

Caroline@dddddainc.com Sweet Caroline

Dec 29, 2002, 4:39:10 AM12/29/02
On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:20:15 GMT, "Joanne Cohen" <joc...@attbi.com>
wrote:

JO

Sorry, your taking the psychotoxin Topamax resulted in your brain
being severely damaged.

Wkjz12660

Dec 29, 2002, 9:02:29 AM12/29/02
I (just the mom of twins with TS) am presently taking topamax to break a cycle
of migraine.

Jodi

Dec 29, 2002, 12:24:39 PM12/29/02
"Sweet Caroline" <Sweet Caro...@dddddainc.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:20:15 GMT,
> Sorry, your taking the psychotoxin Topamax resulted in your brain
> being severely damaged.

Oh, that was good. You crossposted it too. Let me see...... who on
this ng uses the word psychotoxin? Hmmmmmm......... Not hard to
figure out.

Jodi, one of the j's
hehehehehe

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

OnlyTheTruth44

Dec 29, 2002, 4:03:38 PM12/29/02
"Linda G" Proudly Wrote:
>"Jodi" <hellof...@charter.net> wrote in message

>> "Sweet Caroline" <Sweet Caro...@dddddainc.com> wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:20:15 GMT,
>> > Sorry, your taking the psychotoxin Topamax resulted in your brain
>> > being severely damaged.
>>
>SNIP --- Jodi's delusion she can devine the author of anonymous posts.

>> Jodi, one of the j's
>
>Which stands for jerk in polite company, jackass on AST.

And Linda G, Sweet Caroline, etc. can also be attributed to Brenda, Nonitpic

NONITPIC

Dec 29, 2002, 4:28:18 PM12/29/02
>And Linda G, Sweet Caroline, etc. can also be attributed to Brenda, Nonitpic

Let's see, "onlythelies"...you access AOL through earthlink, so who are YOU
really? Sweet Caroline uses Forte Free Agent to read newsgroups.

I don't use Forte Free Agent (can't be bothered to download special newsreading
programs for ast), and I don't cross-post. I don't know anything about those
other newsgroups, anyway.

Why not offer some proof that I am Sweet Caroline, onlylies?

NONITPIC

Dec 29, 2002, 4:29:09 PM12/29/02
P.S. Liar....

I'm not Linda G, either.

Offer some definitive proof, instead of just spouting off.

Does 44 mean you were born in 1944? Well, there is a clue...

jennybravo

Dec 29, 2002, 4:53:48 PM12/29/02

"OnlyTheTruth44" <onlythe...@aol.com> wrote in message

Brenda, Nonitpic is not Linda G, and I'm pretty certain she is not Sweet
Caroline.

--
¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

jake

Dec 29, 2002, 4:56:25 PM12/29/02
On 29 Dec 2002 21:03:38 GMT, onlythe...@aol.com (OnlyTheTruth44)
wrote:

It can?

care to share the convoluted twisted "logic" that leads you to make
this bizarre accusation "onlythe truth44" ?

LOL!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who
are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
--Albert Einstein

TSFamily

Dec 29, 2002, 5:16:27 PM12/29/02
My teenager with TS was put on 25mgs of topomax 2 times a day. It turned
out to be disastrous. It really affected his long and short term
memory....and took away the already tiny bit of attention span he had.
Teachers were avidly complaining ( which is normal anyways) about his
tiredness and memory and generally carefree behavior.

But the neurologist said there was a 40 percent success rate. So
determination set in to see if the Topamax would work. He needed to stay on
it four at least 4 weeks. He tried his best.........but...we just added
another med to the didn't work list.

He has a friend with TS who's using topamax. And it's working fine for him
and his family. But there is a small memory loss affecting him too.
But....it's worth a try.

Good Luck,
Shelby

"Dawnee" <rich...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

jake

Dec 29, 2002, 6:58:29 PM12/29/02
On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:25:01 GMT, "Linda G" <allst...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>"NONITPIC" <cybe...@aol.comNONITPIC> wrote in message

>> P.S. Liar....
>>
>> I'm not Linda G, either.
>>

>You most certainly are not, Linda G. I am Linda G. and proud of it.
>
>Hatemongers like Onlylies troll nearly every mental health support group.
>
>Posting the most outrageous lies and libel about particiipants.
>
>If the people they post such outrageous lies about, laugh at them, and/or
>reveal them for what they are, hatemongerers, they will post ever more
>outrageous lies and libel
>
>Until, they are posting such horrible things about another even they are
>ashamed of what they posted..

some are totally shameless though.
Shame is an alein concept to psychopaths, they have read about it
seen the movies, even studied it.

Sadly they have no actual experience of the emotion , so it plays no
part in their motivations

>And, hang their head in shame, and leave.

those with remnants of a forgotten, half-buried sense of decency
maybe.

>Time is on your side, Brenda.
>
>Just wait the hatemongers out.
>
>Eventually even the ones have no shame, run out of horrible things to say,
>and leave too.

peripatetic hatemongers perhaps,
but some encrust themselves in the social dynamics of newsgroups for
years in my experience

The truth has the awful habit of coming out in the end so Brenda
shouldnt worry too much.

Whilst she is being attacked at least its giving someone else a rest.

Dawnee

Dec 29, 2002, 7:32:10 PM12/29/02
Well gang, I know you are trying to scare me, but I was more scared of
Geodon. Sorry.

My daughter's ped neuro mentioned sensory integration first when he
decided to prescribe Topamax. He has found that many of his young
patients respond to Topamax. He also says it helps reduce ticcing. I
have heard from others to this regard and one person who said it made
their tics worse. You will read about Topamax in the bipolar group.
It seems to have a good affect on mood disorders.

My daughter, B, had decided to remain med free but her ticcing and
mood swings became very severe again and she decided she could no
longer tolerate this.

Topamax can also cause glaucoma. Like with many meds, they are all
fraught with side effects and dangers. Geodon caused heart valve
problems.

God bless all of you and have a happy new year.

Joanne Cohen

Dec 29, 2002, 7:39:20 PM12/29/02
Dawnee, I wasn't trying to scare you, I'm sorry if you felt that way. I was
trying to alert you to *my* personal experience with Topamax and warn you
because it is still quite common for docs to fail to inform patients of
potential side effects.

Jo

Randall Bart

Dec 29, 2002, 9:42:14 PM12/29/02
'Twas Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:14:32 GMT when all alt.support.tourette stood in
awe as "Linda G" <allst...@earthlink.net> uttered:

>"Jodi" <hellof...@charter.net> wrote in message

>> "Sweet Caroline" <Sweet Caro...@dddddainc.com> wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:20:15 GMT,
>> > Sorry, your taking the psychotoxin Topamax resulted in your brain
>> > being severely damaged.
>>

>SNIP --- Jodi's delusion she can devine the author of anonymous posts.

Thanx for confirming who Sweet Caroline is.
--
RB |\ © Randall Bart
aa |/ ad...@RandallBart.spam.com Bart...@att.spam.net

Sesgardner

Dec 31, 2002, 6:39:54 PM12/31/02
>Oh yeah, it can help with weight loss as well. It cuts the appetite and
>otherwise can help a person on other weight-increasing meds lose weight.
>
>Jo

I've heard this - in fact, out here, many many people are taking Topamax as a
weight loss aide.

Sara

Dawnee

Jan 7, 2003, 8:46:15 PM1/7/03
I am like totally miffed at our Kaiser psychiatrist who tells me that
there is no proof that Topamax can help with mood disorder. He also
found it unlikely that it will help with tics. I can't understand why
the ped neuro would say that if he hadn't had some experience with it.
The psych said that the neuro said he was giving it to her for tics.
But that is not what the neuro told us. I get so very angry at all of
this.

Plus the therapist that my dau. has been seeing will no longer be
available to us. She has been so instrumental in helping my dau.

Dawnee

Message has been deleted

Dawnee

Jan 8, 2003, 3:40:28 PM1/8/03
All star gal:
He did not refuse to give her Topamax. Her pediatric neuro with
Kaiser is the one who prescribed it. The psych from Kaiser just said
it won't help with mood disorder and that wasn't why her neuro gave it
to her. Apparently the neuro did not mention this in his notes to the
psych.

It was just discouraging, that is all. We are really counting on
Topamax to help because she refuses to take any medications that will
make her gain weight. Her neuro thought Topamax would help in all
areas, including weight loss.

I honestly think the psych is misinformed. I have not been impressed
with him since day one. The neuro is known for his work nationwide in
Tourette Syndrome. I feel lucky to have him in the Kaiser system at
this point.

I hate Kaiser, especially the mental health division. They are very
inadequate in what they offer here in our town.

I am going to call the ped neuro and talk to him about what the psych
said and get a referrl from him to have her seen in Portland, OR,
rather than in our little hayshaker town of Longview. Portland is nly
45 minutes away, afterall.

Thanks for the comments.
Dawnee

Jodi

Jan 8, 2003, 10:13:38 PM1/8/03
Last year i took my son for a second opinion to a ped neuro in Portland
at Childrens Hospital. He was wonderful. Portland University
Sciences has an impressive array of services. Hope Kaiser will go for
it.

Jodi

"Dawnee" <rich...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Message has been deleted