State of Wisconsin Persecutes Father

1 view

Rodney J Schey

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

no...@juno.com wrote:

> May 18, 1998
>
> Editor
> Letters
> Wausau Herald
> ma...@dwave.net
>
> I was suprised to learn that the WAUSAU HERALD did not cover the
> trial Marathon County of Walt Hornik, a father accused of physically abusing
> his daughter during the course of disciplinary action taken against her
> because of her verbally abusive behavior toward him when requested to perform
> a simple household chore. The trial ended on May 15 with a mistrial because
> the foreperson of the jury was suddenly taken ill at the conclusion of
> deliberations.
>
> I was also surprised to learn that there are so many of these trials
> that the WAUSAU HERALD simply does not have the resources to cover them all.
> It would seem to me that if Marathon County and perhaps the rest of Wisconsin
> is plagued with this kind of litigation against parents who are simply trying
> to discipline their children that a serious social problem exists. That
> problem is the inability of the state to properly distinguish between genuine
> physical abuse of a child and the occasional physical reminder that a child
> might need from time to time for his or her own well-being.
>
> It is my understanding that the State of Wisconsin through the office
> of the District Attorney of Marathon County is engaged in a legal crusade
> to deprive Mr. Hornik of his liberty for the next ten years which will put his
> family on public welfare. All this occurred because he felt that he had no
> recourse but to use a mild form of physical discipline on his daughter.
>
> Meanwhile parents are still responsible for the behavior of their
> children. The State of Wisconsin will attempt to jail them on the charge of
> physically abusing a child should physical discipline be attempted. This
> is a crazy state of affairs that ought to have the attention of anyone who is
> interested in good order in society. It would appear that the state prefers
> to assume the role of parent either through the Department of Social
> Services or the Department of Corrcctions.
>
> But apparently there are more important matters deserving the
> attention of the WAUSAU HERALD. I suppose it would be an
> unthinkable for this newspaper and other media outlets to devote
> some time to this subject. After all, it is only the future of our society
> that is at stake - not to mention simple justice for the Walt Horniks of
> this world.
>
> Robert E. Nordlander
> no...@juno.com
> 333 Lopas Street
> Menasha, WI 54952
>
> Telephone: 920 725 1864

> Posted by Robert E. Nordlander
> no...@juno.com, no...@aol.com
>
> To: alt.parenting.solutions, alt.support.step-parents,
> alt.support.single-parents
>
> May 19, 1998

> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

My blood ran cold reading this article to think things have come to the
point that children are more in control of what does and does not happen
than their parents. Laws and rules are written for a purpose and that
is to prevent chaos. I'm not saying someone should be allowed to beat
their child or verbally abuse them but geesh not do anything? What kind
of message do you think we are giving out children and why do we have 13
year olds shooting each other? Maybe its because they have learned that
no one can do anything to them(or so they think)so they do what they
damm well please to get their way.

My sympathy to Walt Hornik and I have heard from other parents that
their kids have actually threaten to call the police if they are
disciplined. I'm sorry but if things ever got to that point here I think
a reality check for the child would be in store(like a visit to a Boys
or Girls home)to let them know if hey you won't live by my rules
then...live by the states rules. Maybe Wisconsin would wake up when
they'd discover the over crowding from children out of control becuase
no one can touch them!

Pattie

PS My parents NEVER laid a hand on me..that was someplace I din't want
to go or push them too and they were very loving people.

sco...@my-dejanews.com

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

In article <6jvadj$q...@newsops.execpc.com>,

It's hard make a judgement because neither the letter to the editor nor
the reply indicate to what extent this girl was physically punished.
I would like to see more info on this matter.
Did this father spank her or did he beat the holy living hell out of her?

Scout

janelaw

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

no...@juno.com wrote:

> I was suprised to learn that the WAUSAU HERALD did not cover the
> trial Marathon County of Walt Hornik, a father accused of physically abusing
> his daughter during the course of disciplinary action taken against her
> because of her verbally abusive behavior toward him when requested to perform
> a simple household chore.
snip

> It would seem to me that if Marathon County and perhaps the rest of Wisconsin
> is plagued with this kind of litigation against parents who are simply trying
> to discipline their children that a serious social problem exists. That
> problem is the inability of the state to properly distinguish between genuine
> physical abuse of a child and the occasional physical reminder that a child
> might need from time to time for his or her own well-being.
>
> snip

The State of Wisconsin will attempt to jail them on the
charge of
> physically abusing a child should physical discipline be attempted.

I distinctly remember men saying the same thing about
"disciplining" their wives twenty years ago.

You may not like it, but in Wisconsin you can't hit people to
get your own way.

swi...@swbell.net

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

In article <6k1f91$j...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,
swi...@swbell.net wrote:

that's the problem with children right now. they have no discipline. when i
was a child my parent's spanked me when needed. there is a big difference in
physical abuse and discipline. if we set more boundaries for our children
america would probably not be in the state it is in as far as our youth are
concerned. they are shooting eachother in school for no reason. youth
violence is at an all time high. back when parents were allowed to discipline
their children we didn't have the youth violence that we have now. that
should tell us something. hopefully we will wake up and realize that we have
a big problem and that you can't reason with a two year old.
hopefully we will realize that before it is too late for our children! i
don't know what they do in wisconsin, but in texas i am going to raise my
child exactly as my parent's raised me. i haven't had to spank him in a very
long time, but that is because he knows what his boundaries are and that he is
the child and i am the adult. i can honestly say if i told him to do
something and he refused, he is fully aware that there are
consequences to pay for every wrong action that is taken.

Fezz 1

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

Children need discipline and if they don't receive it at home where are they
going to get it? The woman who mentioned "men disciplining their wives"----that
is totally different, the wife is an adult who should have already been raised
and disciplined by her mother and family, her husband has no rights to that.
But children have to have limits set and consequences if those limits are
ignored. I totally agree with physical discipline as the bottom line after the
time outs etc.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that the state won't let you discipline
your child, but they want you to pay for their juvenile facilities when the
child becomes a juvenile delinquent. This makes no sense to me.

janelaw

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

It's not that complicated.
1) You have to rear the children you have.
2) This includes discipline as well as guidance.
3) The discipline cannot consist of physical abuse.