Just venting....ignore if you wish

jan...@excite.com

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

Summer is still far enough away to make plans for the visit.
I would feel much more in control if I had a plan. Otherwise,
the prospect of the visit from hell would loom.

I strongly recommend you make plans for summer activities with
sd's input. Granted, sitting around the house is not a valid
option. Let her know that you will expect her to be involved in
a variety of activities during the weeks. Ask her what types
of things she enjoys doing or wants to try out. If she tells you
what she would be interested in, you can plan a summer that
she will enjoy. As I see it, a happy child is much easier to
be around.

I don't know where you live, but in my experience you need to
start making arrangements for summer soon. You really can't
just open the back door and send her out to play. Local Y's, rec
centers, and pools have been very helpful to us. Every kid
is different, but I have had success with the following:
camping
drama camp
junior lifeguard training program
audubon camp
cheerleading camp
swimming lessons at the local pool
city sponsored dance programs
youth basketball league
gymnastics camp
summer school (believe it or not)

Good luck.

Sharyn

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

That was an idea I already brought to everyone's attn here. We got SS worked
out. SD is being obnoxious, trying to cause problems I think. SO I said to
hell with it and we will deal with it when it happens.
Sharyn

jan...@excite.com wrote in message
<6f3hc9$9...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

peg boucher murphy

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

In article <6f3jvr$itb$1...@gte1.gte.net>, Sharyn <karl...@gte.net> wrote:
>That was an idea I already brought to everyone's attn here. We got SS worked
>out. SD is being obnoxious, trying to cause problems I think. SO I said to
>hell with it and we will deal with it when it happens.

sharyn, this is setting you up to suffer as much as the s.d., and if she
is being encouraged at all to be obnoxious, you're now helping her.
ask her for input. inform her that if she gives no input, you choose
more general things for her, and give her a time limit (at least one week
ahead of when you really *have* to know, since she will almost certainly
be late if she's getting hassled at home -- give her room for that last
chance. and then give her a warning at that last chance...). your reason
could even be that *you* will be not home and that this is part of the
deal.
and then follow through.
sign her up for something that works with your (and ss's) schedule. some
generic summer thing. janelaw suggested several good things. you have
much less time than you think -- good summer programs fill up early, and
many will be full by now.

>>camping
>>drama camp
>>junior lifeguard training program
>>audubon camp
>>cheerleading camp
>>swimming lessons at the local pool
>>city sponsored dance programs
>>youth basketball league
>>gymnastics camp
>>summer school (believe it or not)

i would add:
reading programs through the public library
music programs through local schools or camps
church based programs

good luck.
peg