Good dog for kids

SoccerStepMom

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

OK, this one can't possibly be polarizing...or can it?

We are in need of a dog, and I'd like any advice on good breeds for
families. My husband had a wonderful golden retreiver mix, which died
last fall at age 14, and I had a beloved sheltie, which died last week,
also at age 14. Now the house seems empty and there is no one to feed
the leftovers to, so the boys and I want to get another dog (their Dad
is still grieving for his pet, and can't imagine replacing her, but he
has agreed that the three of us can get one, as long as we don't call it
his).

Here are our finalists. We can get either a purebred or a mutt , but
these are the breed families we are considering. I won't say which
family members prefer which breeds, as that might prejudice you:

Scottie or Cairn terrier
English Springer Spaniel
Labrador retreiver
Alaskan Malamute (OK, that's the 8YO and we already told him that was
out given that it is about 110 degress and humid here in the summer)

Shelties and goldens are out (too bad, golden would be my first choice).

Any input? SSM

Melissa

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

A beagle is a good dog for kids, also the animal shelters have so many
dogs that need good homes.
We have a miniature pinscher, he's cute and spoiled!

Your choices are great too.

Good luck!

> SoccerStepMom <soccer...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<357986...@hotmail.com>...

lilbl...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <357986...@hotmail.com>,

SoccerStepMom <soccer...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Now the house seems empty and there is no one to feed
> the leftovers to, so the boys and I want to get another dog (their Dad
> is still grieving for his pet, and can't imagine replacing her, but he
> has agreed that the three of us can get one, as long as we don't call it
> his).

LOL! Sorry, SSM...this makes me smile. My brothers were the same way. My
on-line name is for our little dog, Misty, who died at 17 1/2. My brothers
swear that they don't want another one and wouldn't love another
one...however, I had to sit in a car with my little bro' while he followed a
convertable for miles...just because it had a cute little white dog in the
back! I understand your husband's feelings perfectly but I can assure him
with absolute certainty that his reservations will be out the window as soon
as the new dog comes home!

As for a good dog to have, given the choices you show I'd choose the Lab. I
adore Scotties, but they're not always so great around kids. I wouldn't,
however, rule out the mutt. Misty was a poodle-x (with what, we're not sure)
and she was the sweetest, smartest little dog I ever knew. Her biggest
problem was that nobody ever told her she wasn't a puppy anymore...until she
was too deaf to hear them!

Good luck!

lil

Leslie

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

SoccerStepMom wrote:

> OK, this one can't possibly be polarizing...or can it?
>
> We are in need of a dog, and I'd like any advice on good breeds for
> families. My husband had a wonderful golden retreiver mix, which died
> last fall at age 14, and I had a beloved sheltie, which died last week,
> also at age 14. Now the house seems empty and there is no one to feed

> the leftovers to, so the boys and I want to get another dog (their Dad
> is still grieving for his pet, and can't imagine replacing her, but he
> has agreed that the three of us can get one, as long as we don't call it
> his).
>
> Here are our finalists. We can get either a purebred or a mutt , but
> these are the breed families we are considering. I won't say which
> family members prefer which breeds, as that might prejudice you:
>
> Scottie or Cairn terrier
> English Springer Spaniel
> Labrador retreiver
> Alaskan Malamute (OK, that's the 8YO and we already told him that was
> out given that it is about 110 degress and humid here in the summer)
>
> Shelties and goldens are out (too bad, golden would be my first choice).
>
> Any input? SSM

Goldens are out? For sure? My neighbors have a golden and she is the perfect
family dog!

When I was younger and had no kids, I had a black lab/springer spaniel cross.
He was a wonderful, loyal dog. Probably would have been great with kids.

My 10-year old begs me daily for a dog. I can't see us having one. We'd have
to fence the yard and that would cost a small fortune. And we're all gone
during the day. But I think they make the best pets in the world. (Second
comes dwarf hamsters -- if anyone wants a small furry pet, these dwarf
hamsters are the best. Quite different than regular hamsters.)

Have a great time with whatever puppy you choose. Let us know.

Leslie

SoccerStepMom

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Leslie wrote:

> SoccerStepMom wrote:
> >
> > OK, this one can't possibly be polarizing...or can it?
> >
> > We are in need of a dog, and I'd like any advice on good breeds for
> > families. My husband had a wonderful golden retreiver mix, which died
> > last fall at age 14, and I had a beloved sheltie, which died last week,
> > also at age 14. Now the house seems empty and there is no one to feed
> > the leftovers to, so the boys and I want to get another dog (their Dad
> > is still grieving for his pet, and can't imagine replacing her, but he
> > has agreed that the three of us can get one, as long as we don't call it
> > his).
> >
> > Here are our finalists. We can get either a purebred or a mutt , but
> > these are the breed families we are considering. I won't say which
> > family members prefer which breeds, as that might prejudice you:
> >
> > Scottie or Cairn terrier
> > English Springer Spaniel
> > Labrador retreiver
> > Alaskan Malamute (OK, that's the 8YO and we already told him that was
> > out given that it is about 110 degress and humid here in the summer)
> >
> > Shelties and goldens are out (too bad, golden would be my first choice).
> >
> > Any input? SSM
>
> Goldens are out? For sure? My neighbors have a golden and she is the perfect
> family dog!

Yeah, he feels it would seem too much like he was replacing his old
dog. Probably the same reason I don't want another sheltie. I'll let
you know how it goes. We talked to two Springer Spaniel breeders today,
and also learned that there are no black scotties around. Tomorrow
we'll go see some dogs, and there are also a couple of "rescue"
adopt-a-thons in the area we will check out.

> When I was younger and had no kids, I had a black lab/springer spaniel cross.
> He was a wonderful, loyal dog. Probably would have been great with kids.
>
> My 10-year old begs me daily for a dog. I can't see us having one. We'd have
> to fence the yard and that would cost a small fortune. And we're all gone
> during the day. But I think they make the best pets in the world. (Second
> comes dwarf hamsters -- if anyone wants a small furry pet, these dwarf
> hamsters are the best. Quite different than regular hamsters.)
>
> Have a great time with whatever puppy you choose. Let us know.
>
> Leslie

Thanks, We are lucky that my husband is home during the day, and I am
lucky that he is willing to take on the challenge of housebreaking the
puppy (unless we get an older dog). Later, SSM

janelaw

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

SoccerStepMom wrote:

> We are in need of a dog, and I'd like any advice on good breeds for
> families.

There is nothing like a mutt from the pound.

Several friends of mine have had white labs, AKA golden labs.
They are the same size as black labs. They always seem to me to
be exceptionally well suited to family life. They are loyal,
friendly, protective, and even-tempered. They are big enough to
be "real" dogs, but not too big. They will play fetch and
frisbee with the boys. They also have short hair.

As an aside, I think medium to large dogs with a mild
temperament are best for kids the ages of yours. Smaller dogs
can get really intimidated and snappy with boys going through
that testosterone surge.

Also these dogs are enough like golden retrievers that the new
one would be your husband's idea of what a dog should be. But
they are different enough that he would not feel he was
replacing the dog he is still grieving for.

Pericl5860

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

>> Scottie or Cairn terrier

My dad's family always had Scotties and loved them; Cairn terriers, though,
well, I hope you have a lot of patience and like very, very active, highly
wired dogs. I may get flamed on THIS, but many terrier groups, while gorgeous
dogs, are not great family dogs. I had a Welch terrier, and while I loved her
dearly and she was a beautiful dog, she wasn't what I could call a loyal family
dog. LOL

> > English Springer Spaniel
I only know two people with these and they both hunt them. Gorgeous dogs, but
I don't know what they're like as pets.

> > Labrador retreiver
Great dogs for families. Of course you already know that Golden Retrievers are
rated as one of the the best, if not the, best dog to have with kids. But I
understand completely your feelings on this.

> > Alaskan Malamute (OK, that's the 8YO and we already told him that was out
given that it is about 110 degress and humid here in the summer

Good for you. He'd be miserable.

Please consider getting a dog from a shelter; if you don't want to breed it or
show it, there really are some wonderful dogs who only want a good home and
someone to love. Any dog with a lab or golden retriever mix, even collie
and/or shepherd is going to be even tempered, with a tendency toward loyalty.

Good luck!

King&Furnish

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

beware of dalmations - several people I know have had them and they're very
peevish & snappy with children. However, on a side note, my uncle, aunt & 4
cousins SWEAR by their Rottweiler, Jake. This dog protects the children
with his life, to the point of break his chain when a stranger pulls into
the driveway, yet has never once done anything but sigh when the 2 year old
would fling himself off the couch onto Jake's tummy. He is faithful,
patient, and the most even tempered dog I have ever known!

I second that emotion on Dwarf Hamsters - our RDH is the sweetest, cutest
little being EVER!
Posey

Liz Fradette

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

SoccerStepMom wrote:

> OK, this one can't possibly be polarizing...or can it?
>
> We are in need of a dog, and I'd like any advice on good breeds for
> families. My husband had a wonderful golden retreiver mix, which died
> last fall at age 14, and I had a beloved sheltie, which died last week,
> also at age 14. Now the house seems empty and there is no one to feed
> the leftovers to, so the boys and I want to get another dog (their Dad
> is still grieving for his pet, and can't imagine replacing her, but he
> has agreed that the three of us can get one, as long as we don't call it
> his).
>
> Here are our finalists. We can get either a purebred or a mutt , but
> these are the breed families we are considering. I won't say which
> family members prefer which breeds, as that might prejudice you:
>
> Scottie or Cairn terrier
> English Springer Spaniel
> Labrador retreiver
> Alaskan Malamute (OK, that's the 8YO and we already told him that was
> out given that it is about 110 degress and humid here in the summer)
>
> Shelties and goldens are out (too bad, golden would be my first choice).
>
> Any input? SSM

I have a yellow labrador named Buddy, my neighbour also has a chocolate
lab (she has two children). I would bet my life that this breed of dog
is the absolute best with children (or anyone for that matter).
Labradors are the most loving gentle creatures that you will EVER come
across. I HIGHLY recommend you get a lab....

let me know.

Liz

Liz Fradette

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

SoccerStepMom wrote:

> OK, this one can't possibly be polarizing...or can it?
>
> We are in need of a dog, and I'd like any advice on good breeds for
> families. My husband had a wonderful golden retreiver mix, which died
> last fall at age 14, and I had a beloved sheltie, which died last week,
> also at age 14. Now the house seems empty and there is no one to feed
> the leftovers to, so the boys and I want to get another dog (their Dad
> is still grieving for his pet, and can't imagine replacing her, but he
> has agreed that the three of us can get one, as long as we don't call it
> his).
>
> Here are our finalists. We can get either a purebred or a mutt , but
> these are the breed families we are considering. I won't say which
> family members prefer which breeds, as that might prejudice you:
>
> Scottie or Cairn terrier
> English Springer Spaniel
> Labrador retreiver
> Alaskan Malamute (OK, that's the 8YO and we already told him that was
> out given that it is about 110 degress and humid here in the summer)
>
> Shelties and goldens are out (too bad, golden would be my first choice).
>
> Any input? SSM

And they are VERY smart also!!!

The Brush

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Go for a Cairn Terrier. For those of you who aren't sure what one looks like,
Toto in the Wizard of Oz was a Cairn. I have had two and they are great. They
are smart. Being around 15 pounds makes them the right size for around the
house and because they are double coated you don't have a shedding problem in
the spring. They are very protective of their family.

Kathie

Michael

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

What about a Great Dane...aside from their size they are soooo very loving.

Liz Fradette <li...@vax2.concordia.ca> wrote in article
<35880A...@vax2.concordia.ca>...

> SoccerStepMom wrote:
> >
> > OK, this one can't possibly be polarizing...or can it?
> >
> > We are in need of a dog, and I'd like any advice on good breeds for
> > families. My husband had a wonderful golden retreiver mix, which died
> > last fall at age 14, and I had a beloved sheltie, which died last week,
> > also at age 14. Now the house seems empty and there is no one to feed
> > the leftovers to, so the boys and I want to get another dog (their Dad
> > is still grieving for his pet, and can't imagine replacing her, but he
> > has agreed that the three of us can get one, as long as we don't call
it
> > his).
> >
> > Here are our finalists. We can get either a purebred or a mutt , but
> > these are the breed families we are considering. I won't say which
> > family members prefer which breeds, as that might prejudice you:
> >
> > Scottie or Cairn terrier
> > English Springer Spaniel
> > Labrador retreiver
> > Alaskan Malamute (OK, that's the 8YO and we already told him that was
> > out given that it is about 110 degress and humid here in the summer)
> >
> > Shelties and goldens are out (too bad, golden would be my first
choice).

> > Any input? SSM

Barbara Eppers

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

We have an Alaskan Malamute.......Excellent with kids........what a
"lovesponge"
he is about 3yrs old and about 100 pounds.....big...BIG....He actually
thinks he's a lap dog....ahaha........very athletic.....very sweet
disposition...I picked him up from a Siberian Husky Rescue in Concord,
CA.........check out the breed......
Barb......Mom of 4.( 2 boys, dog & hubby....)

Neuminosum

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

We have a half Lab, half Weimeraner (pronounced weimerheimer by the kids) named
Homewrecker. She is an 80 lb beauty who will protect the kids and house, but is
otherwise dumb as a box of dirt.

Keep in mind that your lawn will never be the same!