A hello

Deni

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

Hello,

I would like to introduce myself and say hello to this newsgroup. I
had SRS in 1977 at the Johns Hopkins Gender Identity Clinic. I had
left home at age 15 and used estrogen on my own - and Hopkins
thought that I was a year older at the time.

I was told for a while that i was the youngest person to undergo SRS
but I am not at all sure how true that is.. the surgeon I had is quite
old and doing IVF now and things were rather weird at the GIC.

I am hoping to find other people who were at Hopkins GIC before it
closed in )I believe) 1979 ??? Or also other Ts people who had
surgery w/ Dr. Jones .. or not (meaning at the PRU but not by
Jones/Whalen/Momey). Or also peopele who had sureger at an early age
(before 18).

I am curious and very alone, have been completely closeted sinces
the 70's. I work as a therapist w/ autistic children.

I would also like to talk to other women who has surgery over 20 years
ago.

thanks...

Deni

--
For more information about this service, send e-mail to:
he...@anon.twwells.com -- for an automatically returned help message

Diane

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
On 18 Oct 1998 01:06:00 -0400, anon-...@anon.twwells.com (Deni)
wrote:

>I am curious and very alone, have been completely closeted sinces
>the 70's. I work as a therapist w/ autistic children.

Welcome to our little corner of the world Deni. And by the way
what a fulfilling occupation to have!

>I would also like to talk to other women who has surgery over 20 years
>ago.

I'll let Donna Wynn know - she had surgery in that time frame as
well . Also there's a person here from England (who also posts
under an anon account ) who I understand had SRS around that time
as well.

----------------
Diane

clkatz

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
In <3629981...@news.sirius.com>, on 10/18/98
at 07:28 AM, Diane <notr...@sirius.com> (Diane) said:

>>I would also like to talk to other women who has surgery over 20 years
>>ago.

>I'll let Donna Wynn know - she had surgery in that time frame as well .
>Also there's a person here from England (who also posts under an anon
>account ) who I understand had SRS around that time as well.

Actually there were alot of us who had SRS over 20 years ago, we usually
don't say too much about it.

+=Carol Katz=+

Operator error. Replace operator and strike any key to continue...

Kim Taylor

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Deni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to introduce myself and say hello to this newsgroup. I
> had SRS in 1977 at the Johns Hopkins Gender Identity Clinic. I had
> left home at age 15 and used estrogen on my own - and Hopkins
> thought that I was a year older at the time.
>
> I was told for a while that i was the youngest person to undergo SRS
> but I am not at all sure how true that is.. the surgeon I had is quite
> old and doing IVF now and things were rather weird at the GIC.
>
> I am hoping to find other people who were at Hopkins GIC before it
> closed in )I believe) 1979 ??? Or also other Ts people who had
> surgery w/ Dr. Jones .. or not (meaning at the PRU but not by
> Jones/Whalen/Momey). Or also peopele who had sureger at an early age
> (before 18).
>
> I am curious and very alone, have been completely closeted sinces
> the 70's. I work as a therapist w/ autistic children.
>
> I would also like to talk to other women who has surgery over 20 years
> ago.
>
> thanks...
>
> Deni
>
> --
> For more information about this service, send e-mail to:
> he...@anon.twwells.com -- for an automatically returned help message
> ad...@anon.twwells.com -- for the service's administrator
> ano...@anon.twwells.com -- anonymous mail to the administrator

It's a funny thing, you posting at this time. Some of my family members
were just asking about the program that Johns Hopkins used to have. Do
you know the reason they closed it down? I would be interested in
hearing from those who are alumni of that particular program. I have
one VERY skeptcal brother and a couple of cousins who seem to never want
to let this be and are always trying to "cure" me.

CuddlFem4

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

I have been asked to post a reply stating that the person named in the

Thanks very much.

CF

>Subject: Re: A hello
>From: Dxxx <notr...@sirius.com> (Dxxx)
>Date: 10/18/1998 12:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>On 18 Oct 1998 01:06:00 -0400, anon-...@anon.twwells.com (Deni)
>wrote:
>

>>I am curious and very alone, have been completely closeted sinces
>>the 70's. I work as a therapist w/ autistic children.
>

>Welcome to our little corner of the world Deni. And by the way
>what a fulfilling occupation to have!
>>

>>I would also like to talk to other women who has surgery over 20 years
>>ago.
>

>I'll let Dxxxx Wxxx know - she had surgery in that time frame as well . Also

there's a person here from England (who also posts
>under an anon account ) who I understand had SRS around that time
>as well.
>

>----------------
>Diane

Deni

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

In article <362A41...@erols.com> you wrote:

: It's a funny thing, you posting at this time. Some of my family members

: were just asking about the program that Johns Hopkins used to have. Do
: you know the reason they closed it down? I would be interested in
: hearing from those who are alumni of that particular program. I have
: one VERY skeptcal brother and a couple of cousins who seem to never want
: to let this be and are always trying to "cure" me.

It closed down because of internal politics at Hopkins. From what I
remember of what I saw, SRS was dispensed almost purely on the basis
of passability - this was great for me but not so great for the
confused DQs and TVs who also had surgery and then discovered they
could not orgasm any longer. I have learned all this since I was
there. Once I got from them what I wanted I left and never went back.
It was not a good place. Mark McHugh, the current head of psych there,
accepted the job stating that it was his mission to shut down the GIC
and put an end to sex change surgery.

Dani Richard

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Deni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to introduce myself and say hello to this newsgroup. I
> had SRS in 1977 at the Johns Hopkins Gender Identity Clinic. I had
> left home at age 15 and used estrogen on my own - and Hopkins
> thought that I was a year older at the time.
>
> I was told for a while that i was the youngest person to undergo SRS
> but I am not at all sure how true that is.. the surgeon I had is quite
> old and doing IVF now and things were rather weird at the GIC.
>
> I am hoping to find other people who were at Hopkins GIC before it
> closed in )I believe) 1979 ??? Or also other Ts people who had
> surgery w/ Dr. Jones .. or not (meaning at the PRU but not by
> Jones/Whalen/Momey). Or also peopele who had sureger at an early age
> (before 18).
>
> I am curious and very alone, have been completely closeted sinces
> the 70's. I work as a therapist w/ autistic children.
>
> I would also like to talk to other women who has surgery over 20 years
> ago.
>
> thanks...
>
> Deni

Dear Deni,

I just had surgery on Sept 17. with Dr. Meltzer (I am 47) at
Eastmoreland. While I was there (Sept 17 to Sep 26) there 4 SRS surgies.
The youngest was 21 and oldest was 59. I and the 59 year old are both
married to a woma) and are staying that way.

My wife and I arrived on Sept 14th. We meet a friend, Reno, from Seattle
who we invited to say with us. We when to Dr. Meltzer's office on the
15th. He examined me with my wife present. We aseked questions and
dicussed anathesis. I asked about eperduran. He said, "I can control
blood loss better with general." I said, "Your driving, I do the
general." I asked for some pre-opertive valium. I was given my pre-op
bowl cleanser. We left to go see some of Portland.

We when to the biggest bookstore in Portland. I look up the "gender"
section. While looking at the books I turned to see some long legs. They
went up and up into a mini skirt and continued to look up and up and
meet Lori Buckmister. I introduced myself and she herself. She said, "I
am a gender activitist." I replied, "Aren't we all?" So she and I
talked.

We, Lori, Lori's partner and daugher, Reno and I all introduced each
other. We were a real intresting bunch. We left to go find Eastmorland
for my blood test. We got there and my wife wondered, "This is a small
hospital." We when into the ER as instructed. While waiting we read the
brochure on Eastmoreland. Pyschiatic wing. Geriatrics. Teaching
hospitable for O.D.'s Holistic approch! The more we read the better we
liked it. Now my turn for blood. I ask to lay down. She takes me to a
room. A very good and painless stick! Very profession (something that
was true thought Eastmoreland.)
Dr. Meltzer had the entire hospitable staff aclimated to transsexuals.
He had Milly Brown (who wrote "True Selves"
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/los.gatos.weekly-times/12.18.96/lg.cover.html)
talk to them. My wife and I were treated well with respect and good
humor.

We leave so my wife and Reno can eat. Me, I am on a liquid diet. They
have dinner while I have my draf rootbeer. I say, "This stuff is staring
my insides, I am going back to the room." I continue with the water and
other pills. Things start coming out.

Next morning we go to Eastmorland. Jennifer is with me during preop. In
goes the supostory. Out comes the first round. Next I get my Valium. I
lose my memory at that point. Jennifer says I remained concous till I
left for surgery. I don't remember any of that. I woke up in my room. I
did have a vague memory of waking up cold and Jennifer said I had woken
up very cold and shaking. The surgery was over. I was done. Getting
better was the only thing now.

My wife is a RN and a medical Case Manger. She said about our
experience, "This is the way medicine should be done." and "I am glad I
did not miss this experience." I had surgery on Thrusday and was
ambilitory by Saturday. Sunday my wife left to go back come. I was on my
own for the next six days.

Just after surgery, Shelie came in with a Teddy Bear and said, "This is
from Dr. Meltzer's staff. Here is my pager number. If you need anything
or just want to talk call." She came to visit me daily. She helped me
meet the other "girls" that were also there."

6 days after surgery (Wednesday Sept 23), Susan came in with a set a
dialrors, a mirror, K-Y and sissors.I had asked for Valium before she
started. She gave me time to let it take effect. She removed the
drains, the the situctes and the packing. She explained each procedrue
before she did it. She showed how to dilate and then had me dilate.

After a difficult day and night of dialting, I woke up depressed.
Dilation was very emotionally draing. Susan came in and showed my how to
cap the urin bag from the cather. I was able to put on panties and they
fit! I started crying, "This is the way it should have always been."
Susan held my hand while I sobbed for 20 minutes. I was finally "right".
I asked her "Does that happen often?" She said, "Yes". I had gone from
my lowest point to my highest in 20 miniutes!

Later Sheila came in to visit. I needed her company. She was going out
of a bit to eat. I was still very weak and drain. I asked to go with
her. She and I had lunch together. We explored a beautiful little
resturant near Eastmoreland. I had the most wonderful cornbeef sandwitch
in the world. Sheila asked me questions about the transsexual
experience. She had been working for Melzter for about 3 weeks. She was
trying to learn all she could. Fran, who did that job, was sick from a
brain tumor. Sheila was taking care of Melzter's patients and Fran. What
a wonderful doctor to help in the emotional needs of both his employee's
and patients!

Dilation continued to be a challenge. I was embarrised to ask for help
in dialtion. Sheila suggested I use a finger to first test my vagina
before putting in the dialtor. This helped. I needed some coching. The
stretching of the muscles just below the pubic bone both hurt and felt
funny when streated. Like when you have a muscle cram and have to kneed
the muscle. It feels good and hurts at the same time. Sheila later told
me she was learning to do the dilation.

Saturday, Sheila took me to the Portland airport. I was sad to leave. I
felt so close to the people there. The airplane took off and gave me a
picture perfict view of the city. I was about to find Eastmorland and
where Dr. Meltzer's office. I was very teary eyed.

What was your experience?

Dani

Werewomon

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
>I have been asked to post a reply stating that the person named in the
>
>Thanks very much.

And I would like hence forward to be called Zena. Your careful avoidance of
referants is self defeating.

Never mind, your Ladyship will do,
but I haven't a clue who
is taboo

Has it occured to you to emai lthe offenders?

Bright blessings,Molly duCoeur
"James Harold, get your hands off that wheelbarrow.You know you don't know
nothin about machinery." - Brother James Gardner

Diane

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
On 20 Oct 1998 11:50:46 GMT, were...@aol.com (Werewomon) wrote:

>Has it occured to you to emai lthe offenders?

It was actually a mistake wholly on my part alone. Werewoman. I
thought one name and typed the other. I already spoke to the
other person by phone and apologized.

----------------
Diane

Jackie

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Werewomon wrote:

> And I would like hence forward to be called Zena.
> Never mind, your Ladyship will do,
> but I haven't a clue who
> is taboo

yes your ladyship. <bowing humbly> <g>

Jackie
Paying homage to the great Zena

Anna

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
anon-...@anon.twwells.com (Deni) replied:
> It closed down because of internal politics at Hopkins...... Mark McHugh,

> the current head of psych there, accepted the job stating that it was his
> mission to shut down the GIC and put an end to sex change surgery.

Was that just surgery at Hopkins, or everywhere?

Anna

For whom Johns Hopkins was a place of myth when she had SRS in London in
1972.