Hyperforin [St. John's Wort]

randall

Sep 27, 2008, 6:27:01 PM9/27/08

New abstract from yesterday caught my eye.

And I'm having positive reactions from eating a few stalks of celery
each day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18818211?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Specific TRPC6 channel activation, a novel approach to stimulate
keratinocyte differentiation.
Müller M, Essin K, Hill K, Beschmann H, Rubant S, Schempp CM, Gollasch
M, Boehncke WH, Harteneck C, Müller WE, Leuner K.

Pharmacology, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt 60438.

The protective epithelial barrier in our skin undergoes constant
regulation, whereby the balance between differentiation and
proliferation of keratinocytes plays a major role. Impaired
keratinocyte differentiation and proliferation are key elements in the
pathophysiology of several important dermatological diseases,
including atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. Ca2+ influx plays an
essential role in this process presumably mediated by different
transient receptor potential (TRP) channels. However, investigating
their individual role was hampered by the lack of specific stimulators
or inhibitors. Since we have recently identified hyperforin as a
specific TRPC6 activator, we investigated the contribution of TRPC6 to
keratinocyte differentiation and proliferation. Like the endogenous
differentiation stimulus high extracellular Ca2+ concentration
([Ca2+]ex), hyperforin triggers differentiation in HaCaT cells and in
primary cultures of human keratinocytes by inducing Ca2+ influx via
TRPC6 channels and additional inhibition of proliferation. Knocking
down TRPC6 channels prevents the induction of Ca2+- and hyperforin-
induced differentiation. Importantly, TRPC6 activation is sufficient
to induce keratinocyte differentiation similar to the physiological
stimulus [Ca2+]ex. Therefore, TRPC6 activation by hyperforin may
represent a new innovative therapeutic strategy in skin disorders
characterized by altered keratinocyte differentiation.

PMID: 18818211

Looking at Trpc brings back up LPS in the p equation.
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcph/lab_mehta.htm
(diagram)

-----------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRPC6
Transient receptor potential cation channel, subfamily C, member 6,
also known as TRPC6, is a human gene.

TRPC6 is a transient receptor potential ion channel associated with
focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.[1]
<sniP>

TRP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_receptor_potential

================================

St.John's wort has hyperforin and we have one article in our p
newsgroup with it.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.support.skin-diseases.psoriasis/msg/955a8cb6a40c848d

===================

From emedicine
http://www.emedicine.com/derm/TOPIC819.HTM

[...]
St John's wort

A number of clinical trials have reported efficacy in the short-term
treatment of mild-to-moderate depression. However, a recent
multicenter clinical trial concluded that St John's wort is not
effective in treating major depression. The compounds believed to be
responsible for pharmacologic activity are hypericin and hyperforin.
Commercial preparations are often standardized to a fixed hypericin
content of 0.3%.

St John's wort exerts its effects by inhibiting serotonin,
norepinephrine, and dopamine reuptake by neurons. Concomitant use of
this herb with or without serotonin reuptake inhibitors may create a
syndrome of central serotonin excess. Studies show that St John's wort
is comparable in effectiveness to most antidepressant agents. In 13
studies comparing the herbal remedy with placebo, 55.1% of St John's
wort–treated depressed patients showed significant improvement, versus
22.3% with placebo. The use of St John's wort can significantly
increase the metabolism of many concomitantly administered drugs, some
of which are vital to the perioperative care of certain patients.

Single-dose and steady-state pharmacokinetics of hypericin,
pseudohypericin, and hyperforin have been determined. After oral
administration, peak plasma levels of hypericin and hyperforin were
obtained at 6.0 hours and at 3.5 hours, and their median elimination
half-lives were 43.1 hours and 9.0 hours, respectively. The long half-
life and alterations in the metabolism of many drugs make concomitant
use of St John's wort particularly risky in the perioperative setting.
The pharmacokinetic data suggest that patients taking this herbal
medication should discontinue use at least 5 days prior to surgery.
This discontinuation is especially important for patients waiting for
organ transplantation or for those who may require oral
anticoagulation postoperatively. St John's wort also affects digoxin
pharmacokinetics, possibly by inducing the P-glycoprotein transporter.
Thus, patients should be counseled to avoid taking St John's wort
postoperatively.
<sniP>

randall... and I thought that St. John's Wort was a SSRi thing?

JXStern

Sep 28, 2008, 10:28:10 AM9/28/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:27:01 -0700 (PDT), randall <ranh...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>New abstract from yesterday caught my eye.
>
>And I'm having positive reactions from eating a few stalks of celery
>each day.

What's the idea behind the celery? Are you also getting lots of
sun/uvb? I ask because I've been eating celery, too, for no reason at
all, but have seen some minor improvements at the same time, that I
could not really account for, but I didn't really think of the celery.

J.

randall

Sep 28, 2008, 11:56:27 AM9/28/08
On Sep 28, 7:28 am, JXStern <JXSternChange...@gte.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:27:01 -0700 (PDT), randall <ranhu...@aol.com>

> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
>
> >New abstract from yesterday caught my eye.
>
> >And I'm having positive reactions from eating a few stalks of celery
> >each day.
>
> What's the idea behind the celery?  Are you also getting lots of
> sun/uvb?  I ask because I've been eating celery, too, for no reason at
> all, but have seen some minor improvements at the same time, that I
> could not really account for, but I didn't really think of the celery.
>
> J.

J,

Since I'm not doing any trials, cept for taking some
sweet whey everyday, I recalled Manfred's posts regarding
celery.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?qt_s=1&q=luteolin+psoriasis

And once again i'm doing another trial of celery.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?qt_s=1&q=luteolin+psoriasis

If you read through these you can see that it slows LPS in the gut.

And besides hyperforin being in St. John's Wort there is also
luteolin.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=luteolin+psoriasis+wort&qt_s=Search

How about taking some John Wort with your celery now?

I'm game and looking fairly clear.

But is it still the sweet whey, even though my diet is loaded
with flare foods? I doubt it. Something is helping and I suppose
I can cut back on luteolin and see at any time.

And I'm not taking it and simply going outside for the phototoxic
effects.

I'm eating it at night at least half the time.

What do others say? (i'll search ALL of the groups)
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=luteolin+&qt_s=Search

I see some life-extension and sci med group posts that look good.

And some really good news hits:
http://news.google.com/news?qt_s=Search&sa=N&tab=gn&q=luteolin

The first one:
http://7thspace.com/headlines/293830/apigenin_and_luteolin_modulate_microglial_activation_via_inhibition_of_stat1_induced_cd40_expression.html

It is well known that most neurodegenerative diseases are associated
with microglia-mediated inflammation. Our previous research
demonstrates that the CD40 signaling is critically involved in
microglia-related immune responses in the brain.

For example, it is well known that the activation of the signal
transducer and activator of transcription (STAT) signaling pathway
plays a central role in interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma)-induced
microglial CD40 expression. We and others have previously reported
that microglial CD40 expression is significantly induced by IFN-gamma
and amyloid-beta (Abeta) peptide.

Recent studies have shown that certain flavonoids possess anti-
inflammatory and neuroprotective properties distinct from their well-
known anti-oxidant effects. In particular, flavonoids, apigenin and
luteolin have been found to be effective CD40 immunomodulators.
<sniP>

---------------------------------

And the rest look sort of similar.

On the web this one says it is in St. John's wort and it induces
cyp3a.
(cytochrome P450 (CYP) 3A4 monooxygenase.)

http://www.google.com/search?sa=N&tab=nw&q=luteolin%20john%27%20wort
http://www.pnas.org/content/97/13/7500.full (second link in above
search)

I'm sure you can find yourself in this search
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?ie=UTF-8&q=cyp3a+psoriasis&qt_s=Search

Try page 2.

randall... who knew? Well? Besides Manfred...LOL

giurgiu

Sep 29, 2008, 4:41:33 AM9/29/08
Hello.
I am delighted to hear that they do research on psoriasis and other
skin diseases.
However my opinion is that such diseases are a response of the skin of
internal disorders. It is known that the maintenance of epithelial
tissue are responsible certain internal organs such as livers, kidneys
and organs suprarenale.
I managed to remove these deficiencies and medicinal plants with my
psoriasis has been resolved. Details can be found at www.deniplant.ro